Aaron Rodgers

major

I'm sure you meant Hasselbeck and one less Brohm. :thumbsup:

ummmm, yeah. how many teams have gone 10+ years without a single quarterback of the caliber of any of those guys?

we had one good year with flute and one good year with bledsoe, but over all i'd say any one of those would have been a big upgrade.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should really help Rodgers feel like he has the support of Packer fans:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10896881

Dude, they are fans. Take a look to your left. Now take a look to your right. How many objective Bills fans to you see (present company excluded)?

If Aaron Rodgers gets off to a slow start it will be ugly in GB regardless of who the backup QB is. That's reality.

In two years there will be a contingent of fans saying that GB mismanaged and mistreated Rodgers. There will be an equally large contingent who tell contingent #1 that Rodgers never grabbed the bull by the horns and made the job his.

I am glad Kelly stayed retired.

Tho, if memory serves, he had communication with/worked out with the Ravens for a brief time after he announced his retirement at the field house. He was kind of handed his hat by Dan Henning (with tacit approval from Marv and Ralph) and I think it left a bad taste in his mouth, but it's probably something he and us fans shortly came to see as the right decision.

It can be tough to hang 'em up. Granted, Kelly didn't try to hold the Bills hostage, as his contract was expired --- he was just moving on. That, and Favre's on-again/off-again retirement talk has to make everyone in Green Bay weary of his bs. Funny how someone who's so decisive on the field can be so indecisive off it.

On Edit:

Yep.

NYT archive: Kelly Is Undecided On Return to N.F.L.

NYT archive: Kelly Asks Ravens For 3-Year Contract

Tho, if memory serves, he had communication with/worked out with the Ravens for a brief time after he announced his retirement at the field house. He was kind of handed his hat by Dan Henning (with tacit approval from Marv and Ralph) and I think it left a bad taste in his mouth, but it's probably something he and us fans shortly came to see as the right decision.

It can be tough to hang 'em up. Granted, Kelly didn't try to hold the Bills hostage, as his contract was expired --- he was just moving on. That, and Favre's on-again/off-again retirement talk has to make everyone in Green Bay weary of his bs. Funny how someone who's so decisive on the field can be so indecisive off it.

On Edit:

Yep.

NYT archive: Kelly Is Undecided On Return to N.F.L.

NYT archive: Kelly Asks Ravens For 3-Year Contract

TMQ once quipped that the most dangerous space on Earth was that between Brett Favre and a camera... :thumbsup:

I think the part that sours me on this entire situation is that the Packers had asked him many times at the end of the season if he was done and he said yes. He said he did not feel like playing anymore and was done. So the Packers finally moved on and made Rogers the starter and drafted Brohm. Now that they have already started moving on and are about to start training camp, he gets the urge to play again and wants to come back?

I really think that the league should decide to make player retirements official. None of this announcing your retirement, but not signing the papers so theres a chance to change your mind. If you retire, you are done, hers a pension check, we will call you for some publicity events.

personally I think this is making Brett look bad. He retired with class, leaving while he was still ahead and on top, with nothing else really to prove. I think the Packers should stick to their guns and say, backup here or stay retired, unless some team blows us away by offering to grossly overpay for him. But you know that won't happen because the NFLPA would step in and demand that the league make the Packers move him or release him if Brett is unhappy.

Now saying all that though, I would not be against seeing Favre play a year or 2 in Buffalo as the starter

I think the part that sours me on this entire situation is that the Packers had asked him many times at the end of the season if he was done and he said yes. He said he did not feel like playing anymore and was done. So the Packers finally moved on and made Rogers the starter and drafted Brohm. Now that they have already started moving on and are about to start training camp, he gets the urge to play again and wants to come back?

I really think that the league should decide to make player retirements official. None of this announcing your retirement, but not signing the papers so theres a chance to change your mind. If you retire, you are done, hers a pension check, we will call you for some publicity events.

personally I think this is making Brett look bad. He retired with class, leaving while he was still ahead and on top, with nothing else really to prove. I think the Packers should stick to their guns and say, backup here or stay retired, unless some team blows us away by offering to grossly overpay for him. But you know that won't happen because the NFLPA would step in and demand that the league make the Packers move him or release him if Brett is unhappy.

Now saying all that though, I would not be against seeing Favre play a year or 2 in Buffalo as the starter

Favre played at a very high level last year. I think the reason he retired is he was not made to feel welcome to come back plus the Pack front office did nothing to try & improve the team free agent wise prior to Brett announcing his retirement.

Favre played at a very high level last year. I think the reason he retired is he was not made to feel welcome to come back plus the Pack front office did nothing to try & improve the team free agent wise prior to Brett announcing his retirement.

Hard not to play at a high level when Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Washing, KC, Oakland, Denver and St. Louis account for 11 of your games.

Hard not to play at a high level when Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Washing, KC, Oakland, Denver and St. Louis account for 11 of your games.

Not sure LA where you are going on this point. He was the starting QB for a team that went to the conference champoinship. If your boy Losman was the starting QB on a team that went to the Conference Championship & was one win away from the Super Bowl my guess is you would have a bonar extending from your home in LA to the parking lot of Ralph Wilson Stadium. :thumbsup:

He should demand a trade. He's in a no-win situation and will likely end-up being a failure.

No first round draft pick NFL QB is ever in a "no win" situation, even if they blow...but I know what you mean.

Interestingly, the more current Packers players I hear talk about this, many (not all) are being very supportive of Rodgers, and towing the company line of "so long Brett"...

Although I think the Packers are making a blunder here (and belive me, I know, Favre has been a selfish jerk with this whole thing), Favre will likely end up retired. If he does show up for training camp, he will really be forcing the Packers hand. They, obviously, would have to trade him (which he says he doesn't want). As long as he is on the Packers sideline, he will be a major distraction...if they trade him away, and get something for themselves, he will still be a distraction, but it will be much less severe.

If the Pack does trade him, it would very likely be to an AFC team. The AFC, as stacked as it is, doesn't really have any good teams that are just a QB away from being a contender. The only teams that would make any sense for him, in the AFC, would be the Ravens and Jets. The Ravens, because they need a QB (although I am not sure Favre puts them back in the playoffs), and the Jets, because, at the very least, their location would give Favre an endless amount of attention, which, he apparently has a difficult time living without...for the Jets, paying him 10 million a year, or so, has some reward, even if they don't make it back to contention. Favre would be the first marketable QB they have had since Joe Namath. The dollar potential for Favre, the franchise and the NFL would be huge.

The Packers are idiots. You play who gives you the best chance to win the Super Bowl each year. And Brett Favre gives the Pack their best chance, plain and simple. Who cares about Aaron Rodgers? The Packers have one of the best QB's of all time still playing at a high level, and they want to go with an unproven commodity? Ted Thompson should and will get run out of Wisconsin.

Exactly correct. The question is who gives you the best chance to win in 2008, especially with a veteran team that played in the NFC title game.

Exactly correct. The question is who gives you the best chance to win in 2008, especially with a veteran team that played in the NFC title game.

That veteran team is one of the youngest teams (if not the youngest) in the league right now

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=E...mp;confirm=true

The Packers were the NFL's youngest team this season, and several of their key players are locked into long-term deals

From what I have been reading, the team was fine with him coming back when they asked him after the season (apparently many times) if he was coming back. He said he was done, so they moved on

I can't blame the Packers for doing what they are doing. He retired and said he would not come back, the teams is then forced to move on and prepare for the years ahead without him. Now he comes back and wants his spot back because he changed his mind and the team is supposed to stop everything and restart their prep for the upcoming season to accomodate him? I don't bame them for not accomodating his request to release him either. He has value, so I would keep him on the roster as a backup if he wants to play, trade him so you can control where he goes so he won't play within the division, or let him sit out and cry. All he had to do was say at the end of the year that he would play (he could have even said he would play but wouldn't be around til training camp) but he decided he didn't want to and stepped away.

That veteran team is one of the youngest teams (if not the youngest) in the league right now

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=E...mp;confirm=true

The Packers were the NFL's youngest team this season, and several of their key players are locked into long-term deals

They may be young, but tell me, is going with Rodgers over Favre in 2008 a step back for the team? I think so.

Not sure LA where you are going on this point. He was the starting QB for a team that went to the conference champoinship. If your boy Losman was the starting QB on a team that went to the Conference Championship & was one win away from the Super Bowl my guess is you would have a bonar extending from your home in LA to the parking lot of Ralph Wilson Stadium. :thumbsup:

Never miss a moment to promote your cause, eh? But no one should be surprised that you believe the quarterback is the sole reason a team wins or loses. Obviously, since Losman is the sole reason our team sucked, Brett Almighty is clearly the sole reason the Packers don't. Obviously, without Brett, they wouldn't have won a single game last year.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Never miss a moment to promote your cause, eh? But no one should be surprised that you believe the quarterback is the sole reason a team wins or loses. Obviously, since Losman is the sole reason our team sucked, Brett Almighty is clearly the sole reason the Packers don't. Obviously, without Brett, they wouldn't have won a single game last year.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Ah, it is so easy to get you worked up. His numbers were impressive last year though. 4,100 yrds, 28 tds/16 ints, 66% compl %. I do not care who he played against, those are some good numbers. His 06 season was pretty lousy though. My guess(& it is only a guess) is that if he does play this year at his age, his #s would be closer to the 06 #s then the 07 #s, but who knows.

They may be young, but tell me, is going with Rodgers over Favre in 2008 a step back for the team? I think so.

Who knows, It all depends if Rodgers is ready and if he has learned anything the last couple years on the bench. If he steps in and plays like he did in the Dallas game last year, I don't think its that far of a step back.

But of course it will be a step back, going from Brett Favre to anyone not named Peyton Manning or Tom Brady is going to be a step back for the team. The thing is, is it worth taking the step back now and let your potential new starter get his licks in now while the team is still young and developing, or after Favre finally makes a decision to retire and sticks with it.

i think favre on a new team (minni really) could get the spark he needs, but on the pack he would prolly fall apart late again.

Thing is, Favre didn't really fall apart late. He just threw one really bad pass, on the last play of the Packers season. He has been getting away with those things for years...I know the guy is old, in NFL terms, but I don't think he looks to be playing like an "old man". I think he still has another productive year or two in him, as long as he stays in Green Bay. If he goes else where, and has to learn a new system, all bets are off.

As great as Favre is (and I do think he has been a fine QB), he still makes the same mistakes he was making in 1993. Film work, and study, may not be his strongest suit. In his "retiement" press conference, he said as much. He said that film study was something that was a grind for him, and it was one thing he didn't have the heart for any more. If he went to a new team, he would have to learn a new offense, or, his new team would have to adapt to him. With a 1 or possibly 2 year window to work in, not may teams, particularly those with playoff aspirations, are going to want to change course, to accomodate a 39 year old QB.

Brett should stay in Green Bay, and the Packers should welcome him with open arms. Anything less than a playoff appearence for the Rodgers led Packers will be a bad thing.

Yes, absolutely.

He should call a Press Conference to announce he's demanding a trade.

Two days later he should call another Press Conference to announce that he's seriously thinking about changing his mind.

Two days after that he should call a third Press Conference to announce that he's definitely changed his mind and will be submitting his retirement papers to The League office.

Two days after that he should call a fourth Press Conference to announce that - after due consideration - he's returning to The Packers only on the condition that Brett Farve is traded to Al Qaeda.

Who knows, It all depends if Rodgers is ready and if he has learned anything the last couple years on the bench. If he steps in and plays like he did in the Dallas game last year, I don't think its that far of a step back.

But of course it will be a step back, going from Brett Favre to anyone not named Peyton Manning or Tom Brady is going to be a step back for the team. The thing is, is it worth taking the step back now and let your potential new starter get his licks in now while the team is still young and developing, or after Favre finally makes a decision to retire and sticks with it.

Assuming, of course, that Rodgers is not the next RJ or even worse, Todd Collins. We, as Bills fans, know how difficult it is to get great QB play when looking for the next one. Hell, since Kelly retired, I would have taken competant, don't f___ it up QB play. But no, for the most part we have not even had that. So, it has now been a dozen years since Kelly retired and we have had oh.....14 different QBs.

Play for the present and the now when you have great QB play...the if-come and the future may not be what you expect.