Dog People

I have a bit of a situation on my hands with a puppy that im watching until tuesday. Mind you, Ive raised a few dogs in my life, all from puppyhood, and they have all been well behaved, well trained dogs. Its something I pride myself on.

Here's the problem with this dog:

It spent its first 6 months in the shelter, and the last month at my friends house. My friends, while great people, dont really know how to train/own a dog.

What I now have on my hands is a puppy who is the opposite of house broken. If you pay her any amount of attention (good or bad), she pees immediately from excitement. I pick her up and run her outside to finish peeing and by the time i get her out, she has forgotten about it. She doesn't even realize she's peeing inside to begin with.

Once she's outside she is immediately distracted by birds, squirrels, cars, people, basically anything.

Then when she comes back inside, she'll pee again.

She even pees in her crate the second someone walks in the door.

She will NOT pee outside.

I tried ignoring her for a full day (enough as to not induce peeing) and then took her outside. Still no peeing outside.

Does anyone have ANY advice on how to break this cycle?? Or make her realize what the problem and what the goal is??

The "excited" peeing is hard to break. It takes a lot of (for lack of a better descriptor) calmness training. You won't be able to break it in a week.

thats exactly what i figured/was afraid of.

i know i probably wont be able to end the excited peeing. but id like to at least get her to realize she's SUPPOSED to pee outside.

i can walk her for half an hour and she doesnt even think to go. and i live on a HUGE city park where there are lots of dogs and scents indicating that its a good place to do her business...

the bright side of all this is that after only 1 day of the little pee machine, my girlfriend (who was DYING to get a dog) has agreed that it is way too much work and way beyond our situation right now to get one. so at least im off that hook.

If you only have the dog until Tuesday, there is nothing you can do to properly train it to stop. It is going to take a lot more time. Try starting with Rescue Remedy. It is a liquid herbal medication that helps calm the dog. It works on animals and humans. You can usually find it in places like the Vitamin Shoppe. One eyedropper full a couple times a day.

If you only have the dog until Tuesday, there is nothing you can do to properly train it to stop. It is going to take a lot more time. Try starting with Rescue Remedy. It is a liquid herbal medication that helps calm the dog. It works on animals and humans. You can usually find it in places like the Vitamin Shoppe. One eyedropper full a couple times a day.

cool, ill check into it.

i realize that there is no way ill get her completely trained by tuesday. but i would at least like to start the process so i can hand her back to my friends and say "here, keep doing this and she'll be ok"

what i dont want to happen is have this dog be 3 years old and still peeing everywhere. she really is a sweetheart and doesnt mean it. but she wont be allowed back over if this is the case.

edit: maybe ill just blow some bong hits into its crate? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

since you only have the dog for a few days, there's really nothing you can do. Long term, you'll need to set up a schedule and adhere to it strictly. You'll need to start with commands, rewards, and toys for going outside, ingoring and anger when she goes inside. I got a beagle puppy at age 7 weeks in early may. Just in the past week or so have we noticed that she's pretty well housebroken. She still won't tell us when she needs to go out, but she's got enough control to hold it inside, and s he's associated inside with her home and outside where she needs to go to the bathroom. We're just waiting for the day when sh e'll go to the back door and bark.

lol, ill put its snout right in my mouth and blow...

wait a minute. will that end me up with "picnic table guy"?

Eh, as long as you aren't confused with Brian Peppers. Everyone has sex with a picnic table sometime in their life.

...she's associated outside where she needs to go to the bathroom....

there is my main problem.

ill probably never get her to stop the submissive/excited peeing.

but if i could just get her to go while we're outside AT ALL, it would be a major accomplishment.

I have a bit of a situation on my hands with a puppy that im watching until tuesday. Mind you, Ive raised a few dogs in my life, all from puppyhood, and they have all been well behaved, well trained dogs. Its something I pride myself on.

Here's the problem with this dog:

It spent its first 6 months in the shelter, and the last month at my friends house. My friends, while great people, dont really know how to train/own a dog.

What I now have on my hands is a puppy who is the opposite of house broken. If you pay her any amount of attention (good or bad), she pees immediately from excitement. I pick her up and run her outside to finish peeing and by the time i get her out, she has forgotten about it. She doesn't even realize she's peeing inside to begin with.

Once she's outside she is immediately distracted by birds, squirrels, cars, people, basically anything.

Then when she comes back inside, she'll pee again.

She even pees in her crate the second someone walks in the door.

She will NOT pee outside.

I tried ignoring her for a full day (enough as to not induce peeing) and then took her outside. Still no peeing outside.

Does anyone have ANY advice on how to break this cycle?? Or make her realize what the problem and what the goal is??

Did your friend tell you about the dog's issues prior to leaving her in your care?

LOL

I scoop the turds and deposit them in the middle of the sidewalk, hoping that when people step in them, dog owners get the message and that non-dog owners share my disgust with self-centered dog owners.

Edited by stuckincincy

since you only have the dog for a few days, there's really nothing you can do. Long term, you'll need to set up a schedule and adhere to it strictly. You'll need to start with commands, rewards, and toys for going outside, ingoring and anger when she goes inside. I got a beagle puppy at age 7 weeks in early may. Just in the past week or so have we noticed that she's pretty well housebroken. She still won't tell us when she needs to go out, but she's got enough control to hold it inside, and s he's associated inside with her home and outside where she needs to go to the bathroom. We're just waiting for the day when sh e'll go to the back door and bark.

Try this. Seriously. I had one installed when we built our current house and it is unbelievable. Our back yard is fenced and our dog goes in and out as she pleases, without us having to worry about her running off. She wears a little magnet on her collar that activates the door as she gets close to it.

It's great for "potty time" obviously, but also fantastic in general because she enjoys being outside but changes her mind frequently. Without the automatic door, she'd be whining to be let out or whining to be let in. This is the best "quality of life" product I've purchased in a long time -- for us and for her.

I really think you need to go back to basic crate training. He/she will not pee in the crate. And then take her outside in regular intervals and if she doesn't pee, back into the crate. You may need to do this for a week. I would also take some old tissues you used to clean up the pee and place it outside.

The one problem you may have is that some dogs are so stubborn that they don't pee and get a urinary infection. Also, a dog that is over stimulated like that is not a good sign of a psychologically well adjusted dog. She likely has some time of anxiety that also needs to be dealt with. The amazing things with dogs is that it is really easy to change their behaviour if you know what you are doing.

I also highly recommend watching the show Dog Whisperer that is usually on TV.

I scoop the turds and and deposit them in the middle of the sidewalk, hoping that when people step in them, dog owners get the message and that non-dog owners share my disgust with self-centered dog owners.

:thumbsup:

There was this idiot in my old neighborhood who use to walk his two large labs around the block every morning. The dogs had decorated my lawn a few times before so I asked nicely if he would clean up their mess, he refused. At the time I had three dogs myself.

The next time his dogs did "their business" on my front lawn. I picked up the mess, then waited till nightfall. Around midnight I deposited His dogs "business" in his mail box as I drove by it.

I think what pissed me off the most was when I was playing with my then two year old daughter on the front lawn, she stepped in his dogs " Business"

Never a problem again. Mail call!!

:worthy:

There was this idiot in my old neighborhood who use to walk his two large labs around the block every morning. The dogs had decorated my lawn a few times before so I asked nicely if he would clean up their mess, he refused. At the time I had three dogs myself.

The next time his dogs did "their business" on my front lawn. I picked up the mess, then waited till nightfall. Around midnight I deposited His dogs "business" in his mail box as I drove by it.

I think what pissed me off the most was when I was playing with my then two year old daughter on the front lawn, she stepped in his dogs " Business"

Never a problem again. Mail call!!

:):thumbsup::thumbsup::worthy:

I buy a red pepper spray from a garden shop that helps. When it gets chronic, I lay down some diazinon pesticide. That generally stops the sniffing nose...pronto.

I really think you need to go back to basic crate training. He/she will not pee in the crate. And then take her outside in regular intervals and if she doesn't pee, back into the crate. You may need to do this for a week. I would also take some old tissues you used to clean up the pee and place it outside.

The one problem you may have is that some dogs are so stubborn that they don't pee and get a urinary infection. Also, a dog that is over stimulated like that is not a good sign of a psychologically well adjusted dog. She likely has some time of anxiety that also needs to be dealt with. The amazing things with dogs is that it is really easy to change their behaviour if you know what you are doing.

I also highly recommend watching the show Dog Whisperer that is usually on TV.

thats the thing. she pees in her crate. she has no control over the excited peeing. you're right that she wont purposely pee in her crate. the other problem i run into is that when i want to take her from the crate to outside to pee, she will start peeing immediately as the crate door is opened. then when i get her outside, she wont go...

that article linked in Ray Finkle's quoted post is actually pretty good.

Did your friend tell you about the dog's issues prior to leaving her in your care?

ahh, there is the other (dog) bone that i have to pick with them.

no, i was not informed of her submissive peeing problem. maybe she doesnt have it at their place since she is most likely the spoiled boss?

they definitely didnt tell me about her fleas either. but thats a whole other issue, which i have already resolved.

Try this. Seriously. I had one installed when we built our current house and it is unbelievable. Our back yard is fenced and our dog goes in and out as she pleases, without us having to worry about her running off. She wears a little magnet on her collar that activates the door as she gets close to it.

It's great for "potty time" obviously, but also fantastic in general because she enjoys being outside but changes her mind frequently. Without the automatic door, she'd be whining to be let out or whining to be let in. This is the best "quality of life" product I've purchased in a long time -- for us and for her.

we have storm doors, so that's a no go, unless we decide to take the storm doors down. her going in and out doesn't really bother me though. My one friend has 3 beagles. She trained them to ring a bell hung on the door to go outside. That's a pretty slick idea.

we have storm doors, so that's a no go, unless we decide to take the storm doors down. her going in and out doesn't really bother me though. My one friend has 3 beagles. She trained them to ring a bell hung on the door to go outside. That's a pretty slick idea.

Yeah, putting one into an existing house is more of a hassle; I stumbled upon that site before our house was in framing so I was able to order the door and give it to my builder -- it's installed between studs in the wall and hard-wired, and exits onto our deck. I'm really amazed at how well it has worked.

If your dog is pretty smart, teaching her the bell trick should be easy.

thanks to everyone for the replies. especially RayFinkle for that article.

we changed the way we were addressing her (we basically STOPPED addressing her) and she is doing much better. No incidents since yesterday morning. AND i got her to pee outside. she just feeds off of the people, and she's really good and chill if you just semi-ignore her and let her do her thing. we're treating her like a cat, you could say.

thanks to everyone for the replies. especially RayFinkle for that article.

we changed the way we were addressing her (we basically STOPPED addressing her) and she is doing much better. No incidents since yesterday morning. AND i got her to pee outside. she just feeds off of the people, and she's really good and chill if you just semi-ignore her and let her do her thing. we're treating her like a cat, you could say.

Doc, I e-mailed my wife who is a dog nut. The following is her answer.....

>>>>She obviously suffers from submissive urination. First she should be contained in a small area, like just the kitchen. Minimal water offered after 8pm and don’t leave the bowl down during the day. If she is peeing in her crate, it might be too big for her or since she had no choice in the shelter, she doesn’t know better.

When she comes home don’t talk to her simply put on the leash and take her out walking until she goes. Give a lot of praise and a treat. She will have to walk her every hour or so til she gets the message. When she has an accident yelling won’t stop it because she can’t control it.

He should also put down a wee wee pad by the door and try and steer her there for now.

If I think of more, I’ll let you know.<<<<

thanks bill (and mrs bill!), thats exactly the situation and so far the low-key approach is working. when i let her out of the crate this morning i didnt even say hi to her, i just walked over and unlocked the door and walked away. she came out on her own and i was already walking out the door with the leash. got her outside and on the leash, and she "performed" as hoped. thanks again!

ive never had a rescued dog before. all 4 dogs ive raised have been from 8-10 week old puppies and they never had any emotional issues. this is a new one for sure. im glad she's doing better because she is NOT one of those weird, skittish, shelter dogs. she's a real sweetheart and isnt afraid of people. but she is very small and submissive. she's a really cute, brindle colored, corgi mix.

See if this pic works

thanks bill (and mrs bill!), thats exactly the situation and so far the low-key approach is working. when i let her out of the crate this morning i didnt even say hi to her, i just walked over and unlocked the door and walked away. she came out on her own and i was already walking out the door with the leash. got her outside and on the leash, and she "performed" as hoped. thanks again!

ive never had a rescued dog before. all 4 dogs ive raised have been from 8-10 week old puppies and they never had any emotional issues. this is a new one for sure. im glad she's doing better because she is NOT one of those weird, skittish, shelter dogs. she's a real sweetheart and isnt afraid of people. but she is very small and submissive. she's a really cute, brindle colored, corgi mix.

See if this pic works

The dog is very cute. Millie will be happy that everything worked. Check that...she already e-mailed me and is thrilled that it worked out.

As I said, she is a dog fanatic. If she wasn't so smoking hot, I probably couldn't stand it.

The dog is very cute. Millie will be happy that everything worked. Check that...she already e-mailed me and is thrilled that it worked out.

As I said, she is a dog fanatic. If she wasn't so smoking hot, I probably couldn't stand it.

link?

Back to the dog thing, it sounds like your making a lot of progress with the dog. IF you have her crate and its too big for her, put in a divider. She should have just enough room to turn around and lay down, no more room than that. It seems horribly cruel, but they take it as a positive thing and they will associate the crate with their nest/home. Crate training and housebreaking go hand in hand because she will instinctively be housebroken in her crate.

link?

Back to the dog thing, it sounds like your making a lot of progress with the dog. IF you have her crate and its too big for her, put in a divider. She should have just enough room to turn around and lay down, no more room than that. It seems horribly cruel, but they take it as a positive thing and they will associate the crate with their nest/home. Crate training and housebreaking go hand in hand because she will instinctively be housebroken in her crate.

thanks corp, im a big fan of crate training too. all of my previous dogs were crate trained and now, as adults, they all go into their crates to sleep/hang out. exctly as you said, its their safe place. her crate is borderline too big for her, but i dont think thats the problem. she wouldve done the submissive peeing thing no matter the size.

thanks corp, im a big fan of crate training too. all of my previous dogs were crate trained and now, as adults, they all go into their crates to sleep/hang out. exctly as you said, its their safe place. her crate is borderline too big for her, but i dont think thats the problem. she wouldve done the submissive peeing thing no matter the size.

My dog still does the submissive/excitement peeing if she's crated and we either a) have friends over, b) i come in from the front door instead of the usual garage door, or c) i come to her crate excited, singing, or talking loud. She hasn't done it in a couple weeks, but i've not tested to see if she's broken yet.

I am sorry... I just had to get it off my mind! :nana:

What is wrong with saying "cage"...??

:(:blink:

Oh... Dr. D, glad it is working out for you! Your friends should take you out for a nice dinner!

:D<_<

It's easier to keep the PETA people out of this thread if the word "cage" isn't used.