So, would you trade Youboty to Cleveland?

"Youboty update:

The Browns have expressed interest in trading for Bills cornerback and former Ohio State star Ashton Youboty, but a source close to the Bills said Wednesday that Buffalo does not intend to trade Youboty at this time.

A third-year pro, Youboty is expected to be given a chance to compete in camp with the three cornerbacks the Bills drafted this year. If they decide to part with Youboty, they'd probably do so for a future pick. A third-round pick of the Bills in 2006, Youboty was coached by Browns offensive coordinator Mel Tucker at Ohio State. He fell out of favor in Buffalo after missing much of his rookie camp following the death of his mother, then suffered a high ankle sprain last year. " Source

I'd take a 3rd Rounder next year for Youboty. I'd also like to look at the Cleveland roster to see where their excess players are to figure out a trade.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Browns seem to have pretty good defensive backs. I don't understand their interest in Youboty.

But.

They have Cieslak (ex-Bill), Dinkins (old), Heiden (age 32 but their recordholder for TE's), Rucker (Rookie), Kapanui (39 receptions for 481 yards and 7 TDs in 2007 with West Texas A&M), Rucker (Rookie) and Winslow (Starter) at TE. I think Kapanui and Cieslak are battling for #3 TE. How about Youboty for Rucker?

The Browns seem to have pretty good defensive backs. I don't understand their interest in Youboty.

But.

They have Cieslak (ex-Bill), Dinkins (old), Heiden (age 32 but their recordholder for TE's), Rucker (Rookie), Kapanui (39 receptions for 481 yards and 7 TDs in 2007 with West Texas A&M), Rucker (Rookie) and Winslow (Starter) at TE. I think Kapanui and Cieslak are battling for #3 TE. How about Youboty for Rucker?

Didn't they have a couple of big DB injuries and they traded Bodden to Detroit?

I say we trust that the coaches and front office see something they like and want to develop in Youbouty more than fans who were impatient for him to make a play the day after we drafted him.

This is a pretty funny thread.

One person wants Youboty for a third rounder

Another wants Youboty for Rucker--possibly the best TE prospect in the draft.

I think we'd be lucky to get a 7th Rounder for Youboty.

They're as delusional as the ones who thought we'd get a 2nd for JP. The irony is Youboty has less trade value than JP.

I say we trust that the coaches and front office see something they like and want to develop in Youbouty more than fans who were impatient for him to make a play the day after we drafted him.

I think the coaches did make a statement by drafting 3 and bringing another in via free agency. I think a lot of people would like to see him do well enough in practice to warrant some playing time, let alone make some defensive plays.

Seems like the Bills are willing to give Youboty some more time to develop, but at some point you have to make a decision. Hopefully he will have some value left if they decide to let him go.

I might be alone here, but for all of the naysaying directed toward our D-line and pass rush, our backfield, particularly at corner, was woefully thin last year. I admire their grit, and they certainly out-played any and all expectations, but until we develop our talent pool this off-season, I just don't see how we could let any unchecked talent slip out the door-- even for future draft picks.

We have a significant amount of time invested in Youboty, who has undoubtedly under-performed to this point, but he's playing out a relatively inexpensive contract and is, at the very least, a valuable reserve/special teams contributor. Until we know for certain that he's buried on the depth chart or not a match for our system, I don't see how we could get rid of him. Let him compete-- why trade him now when his value is negligible (it's not going to drop any lower than it is right now)? He's a young player of undetermined potential, which is exactly what he'll be if he has a mediocre training camp, and significantly LESS than he'll be if he climbs the depth chart.

I might be alone here, but for all of the naysaying directed toward our D-line and pass rush, our backfield, particularly at corner, was woefully thin last year. I admire their grit, and they certainly out-played any and all expectations, but until we develop our talent pool this off-season, I just don't see how we could let any unchecked talent slip out the door-- even for future draft picks.

We have a significant amount of time invested in Youboty, who has undoubtedly under-performed to this point, but he's playing out a relatively inexpensive contract and is, at the very least, a valuable reserve/special teams contributor. Until we know for certain that he's buried on the depth chart or not a match for our system, I don't see how we could get rid of him. Let him compete-- why trade him now when his value is negligible (it's not going to drop any lower than it is right now)? He's a young player of undetermined potential, which is exactly what he'll be if he has a mediocre training camp, and significantly LESS than he'll be if he climbs the depth chart.

agreed 100% excellent post

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 12:17 PM ET | Link

THINKING OUT LOUD ABOUT BROWNS CB SITUATION: Already thin at cornerback with the season-ending injury to Daven Holly (knee) and the release of veteran Kenny Wright (marijuana possession charges), the Browns released undrafted rookie free agent Darnell Terrell. Just thinking out loud here, but in light of the report last month that Cleveland was interested in Ashton Youboty (scroll down), and the options at cornerback in free agency being as narrow as they are you have to wonder if the Browns want to hedge their bets that they can plug a training camp cut of another team into their lineup. They'd be better served upping the ante on a trade to get a player into their scheme as quickly as possible, be it Youboty or anyone else they feel they could pry away from another team.

Right now the Bills want to have as many options as possible at cornerback in training camp after what happened last year with injuries, so I'd be surprised if anyone was moved. There is a right price for everything though.

---

If a 3rd rounder(non QB) can't contribute in his first 2 seasons, it's a disappointment. It's easy to turn the focus on the fans by saying they are "impatient" but it is by no means unfair for fans to expect more than what Youboty has provided.

Personally, I hope they keep him. Maybe I'm less soured because I expected less from him than some of those who bought into the "projected first rounder" hype. I think he still has a chance to be a pretty good cover 2 corner. Doesn't make sense to give him away after they've waited for him to get his head right and get healthy. Future picks are fine, but at some point the future has to be now. If a couple corners go down, Youboty could be pretty handy and may even turn into a valuable player.

If a 3rd rounder(non QB) can't contribute in his first 2 seasons, it's a disappointment. It's easy to turn the focus on the fans by saying they are "impatient" but it is by no means unfair for fans to expect more than what Youboty has provided.

Personally, I hope they keep him. Maybe I'm less soured because I expected less from him than some of those who bought into the "projected first rounder" hype. I think he still has a chance to be a pretty good cover 2 corner. Doesn't make sense to give him away after they've waited for him to get his head right and get healthy. Future picks are fine, but at some point the future has to be now. If a couple corners go down, Youboty could be pretty handy and may even turn into a valuable player.

I am pretty sure Jauron will keep him. In fact, a trade for more corners wouldn't be a big shock, ya know? :lol:

One of the few times I agree with you.

I agree with you, & if the Browns or another team want to trade for him, they must like him as well. I am just happy the posters on this board that would give away half the team for 6th or 7th round draft choices have no say in the matter.

Well said. I haven't seen enough of him on the field to say that a third rounder would be a good deal. After all, what if he goes to Cleveland and lights it up. Then a third rounder looks like a steal and we get the shaft. I want to see him play for a full season and get good time before making up my mind on whether the experiment was worth it. Let's see what happens after this year making up decisions concerning whether or not to part ways with a guy who was one of the more highly touted corners in that draft class.

This is a pretty funny thread.

One person wants Youboty for a third rounder

Another wants Youboty for Rucker--possibly the best TE prospect in the draft.

I think we'd be lucky to get a 7th Rounder for Youboty.

You're joking, right?