RIP Tim Russert

My mom's family grew up in South Buffalo and everyone seem to know the Russerts. Not well, but in that way you feel you know people even without much interaction. My uncle rode the Canisus bus with Tim and my aunt was a fellow CYO. Today, very few still live in Buffalo but have it in there blood.

My aunt said my uncle, a stereotypical unemotional rock-solid Republican high powered corporate exec, came home from work very upset and didn't want to talk or turn on the TV. She had never seen him so heartbroken, all he wanted to do was go out and get some pizza and beer.

Mom can't talk about Russert without getting teared up. I regret I never met him.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they not going to do a memorial service in Buffalo?

Haven't heard about one. From the BN story about his wake: "Buffalo will get its chance to honor Russert at 10 a. m. Sunday, when Canisius High School offers a Mass in memory of its alumnus in its auditorium."

I'm unfamiliar with the place, but it had better be a BIG auditorium.

Anyone watching the MSNBC coverage online? Funeral starts at 4 but Keith Olbermann is interviewing people in front of Kennedy center. So nice. He has Dick Ebersol on now and he's going on about Tim's love of the Bills and Sabres and other sports related stories. Good stuff and a great way to honor the man.

Haven't heard about one. From the BN story about his wake: "Buffalo will get its chance to honor Russert at 10 a. m. Sunday, when Canisius High School offers a Mass in memory of its alumnus in its auditorium."

I'm unfamiliar with the place, but it had better be a BIG auditorium.

Trust me, it is.

Anyone watching the MSNBC coverage online? Funeral starts at 4 but Keith Olbermann is interviewing people in front of Kennedy center. So nice. He has Dick Ebersol on now and he's going on about Tim's love of the Bills and Sabres and other sports related stories. Good stuff and a great way to honor the man.

HAHA...did you just see Olberman try to get Luke a job by asking Ebersol if he could cover some NFL games for NBC this year?

I can't stand Olberman, but that was great.

HAHA...did you just see Olberman try to get Luke a job by asking Ebersol if he could cover some NFL games for NBC this year?

I can't stand Olberman, but that was great.

I have the feeling any job at NBC that Luke wants, Luke will get. Wasn't he already an intern for Conan O'Brien?

My guess is (1) no, and (2) yes.

He's an impressive young man. How many 22-year-olds do you know who can hold forth like that for 15 minutes without sounding stupid or pompous? The apple didn't fall far from the tree at ALL.

He's an amazingly impressive young man. His eulogy video on CNN is another remarkable example of a kid destined to achive great things, like his dad.