OT--NBA Refs Pushed by League to Favor Certain Results

MattM

i've got 5 words for you:

JUST

GIVE

IT

TO

'EM

That was indeed one of the games I was thinking of, along with the first meeting in 2006 when every call (and no call) late in the game seemed to go their way. If you've ever seen Mike Pereira (the head of NFL officiating) interviewed you'd probably agree with me that you wouldn't trust him with the Lord's supper, as my father used to say.

NBA refs have the most control over the outcome of a game.

They can control which players actually play by how fouls are assessed. A few quick fouls to start a game and player X is parked on the bench.

A lot of fouls against 1 team really tilts the playing field as well.

People are crazy if they don't think there is some manipulation going on.

NBA refs have the most control over the outcome of a game.

They can control which players actually play by how fouls are assessed. A few quick fouls to start a game and player X is parked on the bench.

A lot of fouls against 1 team really tilts the playing field as well.

People are crazy if they don't think there is some manipulation going on.

-You may be right...but wow an NFL ref can sure change a game with a strategic holding/interference call.

Pro sports is in big trouble now with these scandals.

First the Patriots titles are now worth nothing.........and now the Lakers title(s) at least one is in doubt.

While you have to consider the source (a convicted felon) obviously, he's making some interesting allegations here--anyone else ever wonder if the NFL does the same thing? I've seen too many odd calls in Pats games over the years to completely dismiss that notion out of hand myself......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

Yeah--I mean the felon thing....it kinda goes with the territory that someone guilty of an offense would have the inside info on others who commit the offenses--or who do something considered cheating(Canseco). The honest guys aren't gonna know about it(cuz if they did would they really be honest guys if they didnt report it?)

-You may be right...but wow an NFL ref can sure change a game with a strategic holding/interference call.

Pro sports is in big trouble now with these scandals.

First the Patriots titles are now worth nothing.........and now the Lakers title(s) at least one is in doubt.

You know it. It only takes a couple plays to change the outcome of an NFL game. A holding call when a team scores a TD can make all the difference. We all know holding can be called on just about ANY play, so it is very easy for a ref to influence a game this way.

I saw this on espn this morning. Everyone was blowing off what Donahe (sp?) said. All the quotes and comments basically said "We dont believe anything this felon says" or "we are tired of this whole situation".

The NBA are just trying to blow it off as nothing more than lies from a criminal.

I dont buy the NBAs side at all.

yes, he is a convicted criminal, but he was in a position to know these things and is modivated to say what he knows. I would not accept his word as is, but he is talking about specific people at a specific times regarding specific acts. The NBA HAS to perform some investigation. It may turn out to be nothing but lies, but that is not nearly as bad as trying to (or even appear to) ignore/cover up major game fixing.

The more the NBA dismisses these acusations as "nothing but lies", the more I think those lies are really true.

I saw this on espn this morning. Everyone was blowing off what Donahe (sp?) said. All the quotes and comments basically said "We dont believe anything this felon says" or "we are tired of this whole situation".

The NBA are just trying to blow it off as nothing more than lies from a criminal.

I dont buy the NBAs side at all.

yes, he is a convicted criminal, but he was in a position to know these things and is modivated to say what he knows. I would not accept his word as is, but he is talking about specific people at a specific times regarding specific acts. The NBA HAS to perform some investigation. It may turn out to be nothing but lies, but that is not nearly as bad as trying to (or even appear to) ignore/cover up major game fixing.

The more the NBA dismisses these acusations as "nothing but lies", the more I think those lies are really true.

Yea, the NBA sounds a lot like Roger Clemens right now with all this "consider the source" stuff. The fact is, just like Mcnamee, Doughnahy has no reason to rat out others or talk about games he fixed if these things didn't happen. He would have more reason to lie to NOT incriminate himself or others. I'm not saying he's 100% credible, but his accusations definitely warrant a lot of consideration.

ESPN/ABC paid a ton of cash to be the network of the NBA...as the league goes, so goes their investment, and therefore their response is hardly surprising.

Don't expect a lot of hard-hitting investigation to come out of Bristol on this topic.

You know it. It only takes a couple plays to change the outcome of an NFL game. A holding call when a team scores a TD can make all the difference. We all know holding can be called on just about ANY play, so it is very easy for a ref to influence a game this way.

For instance, see Super Bowl XL.

I agree that the officiating in the NBA boarders on scandalous sometimes, but I still don't buy into the fact that there is some sort of leauge controlled conspiracy going on, to get certain teams in the playoffs, or extend series. Donaghy may not be the only rouge official, on the take, but I do doubt the validity of some of this. It kind of sounds to me, like a case of someone getting caught doing something wrong, "everyone else was in on it"...

I guess the reason I have a problem with all of these leauge wide conspiracy thories is that often, people cite things that look suspicious, but make no mention of when the conspiracies don't hold up.

One of the three referees that worked the Lakers/kings playoff game in question, who trains Police Officers, and known as a pretty straight shooter, said today that he has never been contacted by the league or the Feds or asked anything about that game. Seems to me if there was an investigation or allegation, when two of the three refs were allegedly fixing the game, he might be a guy one might think of calling.

One of the three referees that worked the Lakers/kings playoff game in question, who trains Police Officers, and known as a pretty straight shooter, said today that he has never been contacted by the league or the Feds or asked anything about that game. Seems to me if there was an investigation or allegation, when two of the three refs were allegedly fixing the game, he might be a guy one might think of calling.

The thing is, you don't have to go to all three referees if you want to fix a basketball game. You only need one. It's entirely possible one or two of the refs would have no knowledge of an alleged conspiracy to fix games. In fact, if I was going to fix a game, that's exactly how I'd play it so there's only one potential source for exposing the scheme.

I'm just throwing that out as an observation.

I agree that the officiating in the NBA boarders on scandalous sometimes, but I still don't buy into the fact that there is some sort of leauge controlled conspiracy going on, to get certain teams in the playoffs, or extend series. Donaghy may not be the only rouge official, on the take, but I do doubt the validity of some of this. It kind of sounds to me, like a case of someone getting caught doing something wrong, "everyone else was in on it"...

I guess the reason I have a problem with all of these leauge wide conspiracy thories is that often, people cite things that look suspicious, but make no mention of when the conspiracies don't hold up.

Nice how your take on this comes up "convienently" when the Celts are in the Finals... Like I said about the past and how the Celts would have never moved out of BOS... They are very much the darlings of the league and always have been... Because, IMO of that run in the 1960's... And other issues historically that I won't go into here.

;):lol:;)

I caught a glimpse of game 2 I think and immediately turned it of when Kobe got charged with that early foul...

I try to watch the game... But, I can't even get through a minute of that rigged crap. At least the NHL can somewhat hide it... The NBA... :w00t::lol: