Best casts

Not sure one should count a documentary short's newsreel footage of an awards dinner as the greatest cast, but...

Buster Keaton was phenomenal, I agree. But you really didn't expect to see him mentioned in this thread did you? He would very likely dominate the "Best Single Bitter Alcoholic Wizard Silent Comedic Actor Most People Here Have Barely Heard Of And Never Actually Took The Time To Watch " thread.

Buster is phenomenal and I feel your statement is harsh. I will start a Buster thread. I think he is a genius and very, very under apprecated!

The movie I meant to show was:

which featured Buster Douglas, Fatty Arbuckle, Harold Lloyd, Rudolph Valentino, Jackie Coogan, Douglas Fairbanks- an amazing cast!

As far if it qualifys for greatest cast, I am not sure- but they wrote the book- and this was considered "the greatest cast ever" in the 1920's

These actors and actresses' were pioneers and anyone associated with movies today should really appreciate them. They helped make cinema better for ever after. And they enabled the salary and benefits and perks so many enjoy today. Prima donna actors make millions, Buster died penniless. At least give him much respect

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, African Queen was a very good one, too, along with the Director's cut of "Hot Body Competition Beverly Hills Naked Cheerleaders", perhaps the greatest cast ever.

You do know I was talking about the Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn movie, right?

Good one.

I surfed the channels last night thinking someboday has got to be running The Longest Day.

Nope.

I'm writing my congressman, urging him to submit a bill directing at least one major network show The Longest Day every June 6th.

The Outsiders:

Patrick Swayze

Rob Lowe

Emilio Estevez

Tom Cruise

Ralph Macchio

C. Thomas Howell

Matt Dillon

Others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Beat me to it! Also, don't forget Diane Lane was in that too.

What's amazing about this cast was that all of these guys were largely undiscovered at this time (except maybe C. Thomas Howell).

Whoever casted that movie had a real eye for talent.

The Magnificent Seven (and Dirty Dozen) had pretty good casts.

also A Bridge Too Far was full of great actors.

How could I forget A Bridge Too Far?

James Caan

Michael Caine

Sean Connery

Gene Hackman

Anthony Hopkins

Robert Redford

Laurence Olivier

Elliott Gould

You do know I was talking about the Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn movie, right?

Of course. A Classic. Although even though the two stars were a fabulous pair, there are dozens and dozens of films with pairings like that. Robert Morley was a good actor but that was basically two people. Great movie and great casting but not sure about two stars.

Plus, I also thought that 100 naked Beverly Hills cheerleaders is a great cast.

Of course. A Classic. Although even though the two stars were a fabulous pair, there are dozens and dozens of films with pairings like that. Robert Morley was a good actor but that was basically two people. Great movie and great casting but not sure about two stars.

Who would you say compares nowadays to being a "fabulous pair"?

I don't think anyone around today compares to those two, counting everything, meaning pure acting talent, stature and appeal. The two best pure actors of today in my opinion, Sean Penn and Meryl Streep, don't have a quarter of the appeal as Bogart and Hepburn. And the other great male and female actors of today don't have the stature of Bogart and Hepburn, except probably DeNiro. (There are a lot of actors with a lot more pure acting talent than Bogart, but it's hard to beat his potent combination of talent, stature and appeal).

Comparing the two movies IMO is sacreligious.

Pam Anderson, ba dum bum! Ptsch!

Going back through movie history I can't think of any male/female pairings that come close to Tracy/Hepburn.

I was thinking of The Outsiders and Red Dawn - not legendary casts, but several young actors who went on to have pretty good careers or were decent-sized stars for a while.

Red Dawn:

Patrick Swayze

C. Thomas Howell

Charlie Sheen

Lea Thompson

Jennifer Grey

You are kidding right??

You are kidding right??

Not even a bit, and I already explained why:

I was thinking of The Outsiders and Red Dawn - not legendary casts, but several young actors who went on to have pretty good careers or were decent-sized stars for a while.

Swayze and Sheen have had pretty good careers; Thompson has had a solid, if not spectacular career (up until about 1999, when she seemed to make the transitiion to full-time WE actress); Jennifer Grey's star cooled in the late 80's/early 90's, like C. Thomas Howell's - but he was in Soul Man, The Hitcher and Side Out, so it doesn't matter what he did after that.

I don't know if we're doing strictly movie casts or not, but I've got a TV one.

Anyone remember the sitcom Evening Shade. which ran on CBS from 1990-94?

Burt Reynolds, who won both an Emmy and a Golden Globe for playing a former Pittsburgh Steeler who came back to his hometown of Evening Shade, Arkansas to be the high school's head football coach. The show revitalized Reynolds' career.

Marilu Henner played his wife, who became the local D. A., and she was far hotter here than she was on Taxi.

Michael Jeter, who had just won a Tony Award.

Charles Durning, who had two Tony Awards.

The late, great Ossie Davis, who owned the town's barbecue restaurant.

The great Hal Holbrook (who should have won an Oscar for Into the Wild this past year), who played Marilu Henner's dad.

Ann Wedgeworth, a fine stage actress.

I posted on IMDB.com that this cast may be the best ever for an American sitcom. I'm also happy to report that the first season of Evening Shade is being released on DVD on June 24...I've already pre-ordered it.

It's a shame that few people remember Evening Shade.

Young Guns would fit with that group too. Certainly not a classic but a good flick with lots of young stars.

Young Guns would fit with that group too. Certainly not a classic but a good flick with lots of young stars.

True - Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips, Charlie Sheen and the veteran presence of Jack Palance in Young Guns, while YG II had Estevez, Sutherland, Phillips, Christian Slater, William Peterson (CSI), Alan Ruck (Spin City, Scrubs, Twister, Mad About You) and Viggo Mortensen.

How could I forget A Bridge Too Far?

James Caan

Michael Caine

Sean Connery

Gene Hackman

Anthony Hopkins

Robert Redford

Laurence Olivier

Elliott Gould

Ahhh, the movie that proved the "Caine-Hackman Theory."

I would submit Silverado for consideration.

Kevin Kline

Scott Glenn

Kevin Costner

Danny Glover

Brian Dennehy

Jeff Goldblum

John Clesse

Linda Hunt

Rossana Arquette

Jeff Fahey