What's a good price for weekly yard cutting

eball

We have a relatively small yard (1/3 acre lot), and the back portion of our backyard is natural area. I'm allergic as hell to grass turpines so I can't cut it, and I'm not going to ask my wife to do it (although she has offered).

The guys we had doing it last month charged $35 a pop, and that seems ridiculously high to me. They're done in less than 30 minutes.

What's reasonable?

We have a relatively small yard (1/3 acre lot), and the back portion of our backyard is natural area. I'm allergic as hell to grass turpines so I can't cut it, and I'm not going to ask my wife to do it (although she has offered).

The guys we had doing it last month charged $35 a pop, and that seems ridiculously high to me. They're done in less than 30 minutes.

What's reasonable?

$30 each time in my area.

What's reasonable?

Have your wife do it. Tell her it will keep her in shape.

When I was too small to cut the grass yet, my father worked two jobs. My mother went out and cut our half acre yard. She still does it once in a while and she is almost 82! Doing that and weeding her flowers keeps her going. Just this year she decided to have my nephews get up on the stepladder and clean her windows instead of doing it herself.

Seventy bucks an hour? I need to change professions... :lol:

Did you mean Zyrtec? :lol:

It works great, but makes you drowsy. So might not want to take right before mowing. :lol:

Take it at bedtime, last 24 hours. I've been doing that for years and it's the only reason I can function this time of year.

What's reasonable?

You sound a bit cheap...sorry. They have to pay for gas for the mowers/other equipment...gas for their truck(s).-probably some work comp or other ins---and actually make some money too.What do you want theme to charge?? sheesh

What's reasonable?

You have a good wife. By all means, show her how to mow.

I involve my wife in all sorts of home maintenance tasks. I will croak sooner or later, and I want her to be prepared.

She knows how to change oil, replace an automotive or a sump pump back-up battery and maintain same, wire a circuit, snake plumbing and replace traps, sand, paint, start the mower and how to mow safely, knows when to tighten this fitting within an inch of its' life, and when not to do for that one, and so on.

And none of that is being condescending. It's simple transferring of necessary education.

Teach your wife to mow. Which means safety glasses, gloves, long pants and boots. Nerdy? I suppose. But check out the injury stats - mower injuries are huge.

I reside on a corner, so I have two "across the streets". Three young families - nice people, nice youngsters. Our neighborhood is hilly - down-dip driveways, or steep sloped lawns. I watch mowing, string trimming going on with tank tops and sandals, with their kids romping about. It's just a matter of time... :lol:

Edited by stuckincincy

Teach your wife to mow. Which means safety glasses, gloves, long pants and boots. Nerdy? I suppose. But check out the injury stats - mower injuries are huge.

I'll give a big second on this one. I just visited my eye surgeon yesterday and he told me he has two new patients in the last month that suffered serious eye injuries from lawn mower debris.

You sound a bit cheap...sorry. They have to pay for gas for the mowers/other equipment...gas for their truck(s).-probably some work comp or other ins---and actually make some money too.What do you want theme to charge?? sheesh

Hey man, that's why I asked. You don't know the whole story, though. They're not just cutting my lawn; there are several other homeowners in my neighborhood who use them, so they've got economics of scale working for them. They are also full scale landscapers and they install sprinkler systems; they don't pay the bills by cutting lawns.

They came once a week in May and when I got the bill for $175 (5 visits because of how the calendar fell) I kind of flipped. My wife had set up the arrangement and we were both shocked. Now, if they only come twice a month it's $70, so I might continue with them, but that's why I started the thread -- to get some opinions.

Hey man, that's why I asked. You don't know the whole story, though. They're not just cutting my lawn; there are several other homeowners in my neighborhood who use them, so they've got economics of scale working for them. They are also full scale landscapers and they install sprinkler systems; they don't pay the bills by cutting lawns.

They came once a week in May and when I got the bill for $175 (5 visits because of how the calendar fell) I kind of flipped. My wife had set up the arrangement and we were both shocked. Now, if they only come twice a month it's $70, so I might continue with them, but that's why I started the thread -- to get some opinions.

And his opinion is that you're a cheap bastard.