1999 Bills-Dolphins playoff game question

I was watching the replay of the game on the NFL network, and i had a question. On the first play where Moulds catches the bomb, and then terrell buckley forces the fumble, they both go to the ground, and buckley hangs onto Moulds collar and prevents him from going after the loose ball. Is that legal? I know you are allowed to block someone and fall on them, but Buckley deliberately (and smartly?) hung on to moulds' collar so he couldnt try and recover the ball.

Thanks in advance.

I think there is no holding on a fumble.

By the way, that game was the single best performance by one player I have ever seen. Moulds beat triple coverage that day. I was at that POS and still have no idea how they lost.

Moulds was fuggin insane that day. He, in his prime, is exactly what we've been missing for so long. A guy who can get deep, but be physical at the same time. I hope his departure doesn't taint just how good he was.

Moulds was fuggin insane that day. He, in his prime, is exactly what we've been missing for so long. A guy who can get deep, but be physical at the same time. I hope his departure doesn't taint just how good he was.

I dont think so, Moulds IMO will always be remembered for the sweet things he did. The only problem is that during his tenure with the team we had minimal success.

I was watching the replay of the game on the NFL network, and i had a question. On the first play where Moulds catches the bomb, and then terrell buckley forces the fumble, they both go to the ground, and buckley hangs onto Moulds collar and prevents him from going after the loose ball. Is that legal? I know you are allowed to block someone and fall on them, but Buckley deliberately (and smartly?) hung on to moulds' collar so he couldnt try and recover the ball.

Thanks in advance.

I don't believe that is legal, and I was livid at the time. Still though, it was very smart on Buckley's part since he got away with it.

It happens all the time, and I only saw it being called once. It was flagrantly a penalty.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen the word "flagrantly" used. :blink:

It is a penalty - holding is holding, no matter what the situation - but GG is right. It happens on almost every fumble play, but rarely gets called.

It was actually called a number of years ago in a Bills game. I don't remember the year -- I think probably 1988 or 1989, and I don't remember but it might have been against the Dolphins. If I recall correctly, Jim Kelly was hit and fumbled the ball, but the defender was penalized when he grabbed Kelly and prevented him from going after the ball. It's a little hazy now, but I remember hearing the call and I couldn't believe it. It's the only time I've ever heard that call made.

It was actually called a number of years ago in a Bills game. I don't remember the year -- I think probably 1988 or 1989, and I don't remember but it might have been against the Dolphins. If I recall correctly, Jim Kelly was hit and fumbled the ball, but the defender was penalized when he grabbed Kelly and prevented him from going after the ball. It's a little hazy now, but I remember hearing the call and I couldn't believe it. It's the only time I've ever heard that call made.

1988 Monday night at Dolphins. I was there. Shows my priorities in life that I remember this....We won 31-6.

1988 Monday night at Dolphins. I was there. Shows my priorities in life that I remember this....We won 31-6.

Damn, I guess I do have a pretty good memory after all. Thanks.

Uggghhh...if that play wasn't a perfect foreshadow of how the game would unfold AND a perfect nutshell of how that season had been in general, I don't know what is.

I can't remember a more exciting and equally frustrating season in my lifetime as a Bills fan (albeit only about 20 years). The hype of RJ, the terrible start, the shocker over "unstoppable" San Fran, the magic of Flutie, the bootleg at JAX, Moulds' incredible breakout, the infamous "just give it to 'em" game and capped off with that torturous playoff game that should never have been played in South Florida.

:lol:

Uggghhh...if that play wasn't a perfect foreshadow of how the game would unfold AND a perfect nutshell of how that season had been in general, I don't know what is.

I can't remember a more exciting and equally frustrating season in my lifetime as a Bills fan (albeit only about 20 years). The hype of RJ, the terrible start, the shocker over "unstoppable" San Fran, the magic of Flutie, the bootleg at JAX, Moulds' incredible breakout, the infamous "just give it to 'em" game and capped off with that torturous playoff game that should never have been played in South Florida.

:lol:

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

I think there is no holding on a fumble.

By the way, that game was the single best performance by one player I have ever seen. Moulds beat triple coverage that day. I was at that POS and still have no idea how they lost.

A defense missing several starters that was gassed by the 2nd half. They just couldn't get off the damn field.