Development along waterfront

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not the small boat harbor you are talking about. It is the Erie Basin Marina. The small boat harbor is just south of the proposed Freezer Queen development(see center of linked image).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...mp;t=h&z=15

Okay fine, the Erie Basin Marina. I do not own a boat so I have no idea what these harbors are called. But anyways, they are building condos there.

Of course. Think of the day you can take a lovely walk with your family. (just not from the months of october to may) As you step outside, you can show your kids the view of the new peace bridge going from buffalo to fort erie. You can then head out and take your kids on a walk to bass pro and buy them some gear. After a day of fishing with dad, then you can stop by the the new highrise downtown where you work in your high-paying professional job.

I took a walk out there today during my lunch. It was beautiful. About 70 degrees, nice breeze coming off the lake. I know it is probably not as nice as the hell hole where you are better known as Tallahassee, FL, where it is 90 degrees today & you probably can not even go outside for 5 minutes without getting heat stroke.

I took a walk out there today during my lunch. It was beautiful. About 70 degrees, nice breeze coming off the lake. I know it is probably not as nice as the hell hole where you are better known as Tallahassee, FL, where it is 90 degrees today & you probably can not even go outside for 5 minutes without getting heat stroke.

True.

The big hiderance IMO... The WORKABLE season is so awfully short!

I'm all for brownfield development - but you can't do residential development. Anyone who does has a ticking time bomb lawsuit which goes off once an occupying kid sneezes twice in a row.

agreed...but as far as commercial development, I think it is a step in the right direction

True.

People are still going to have to infuse money... BFLO has to market itself like the towns along western Michigan do to the Chicago market... BFLO will have to tie into TOR.

The kicker? Like other have said... The brownfields... Vacation money will just go elsewhere.

BFLO is in quite a bind... Far worse than say other old manufacturing towns like Holland, Michigan that can still cater to the residential devel...

Where is the closest city owned beach?... I hate to say it, they are really phucked...

Just a reminder for any folks that would consider buying one of those condos at the old Freezer Queen Site.

They are being built in a pier surrounded on three sides by water.

If you haven't been on the waterfront between December through March, you are going to have a new appreciation for what a Buffalo winter is really like.

I'm not talking Amherst, Lancaster or Orchard Park "tough Buffalo winter"-

I'm talking brutal, on the waterfront weather ,that most even true Buffalonians ,have never experienced on a daily basis.

Enjoy the view.............

You're right...no one would ever live there. Not in a million years... :rolleyes:

Sigh...

Where is the closest city owned beach?... I hate to say it, they are really phucked...

Seriously.....who goes on vacation and chooses a city in the northeast (non ocean) for the beaches? Sure, it is nice for the residents but we have plenty that are not in the city limits.

agreed...but as far as commercial development, I think it is a step in the right direction

I do appreciate your optimism, EZC. And as you imply, one never knows until one tries.

A hotel development with a dock offering tour boats jaunting out into Lake Erie is a thought. Good thought, bad thought...dunno.

Tallahassee isnt quite a hellhole yet. That terminology is reserved for the months of june, july, and august. Asbolutely miserable.

I believe this site was once occupied by the Ford Stamping plant, before its current use.

You're thinking of the old Ford assembly plant (the stamping plant is in Woodlawn, down the road about two miles from where we're talking about).

The assembly plant is still there and houses a firm called Nanodynamics. Yes, this building is right next door to the Freezer Queen-cum-condo parcel.

Here's another cog in the waterfront development story...

Okay fine, the Erie Basin Marina. I do not own a boat so I have no idea what these harbors are called. But anyways, they are building condos there.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with everything you posted. I justed wanted to clarify the areas you are talking about. :rolleyes:

About a five minutes away...

(not city-owned, but public nevertheless)

Lurker, have you spent any time at that beach? It's a beauty.

It's right next to a sewage treatment plant.

In recent years the beach has been closed up to 30% of the possible beach days due to...umm, you figure it out.

Sounds like a nice place for the "Lurker" family to hang out. :rolleyes:

Lurker, have you spent any time at that beach? It's a beauty.

It's right next to a sewage treatment plant.

In recent years the beach has been closed up to 30% of the possible beach days due to...umm, you figure it out.

Sounds like a nice place for the "Lurker" family to hang out. :rolleyes:

The runoff issue is being dealt with by NYS (and it has nothing to do with the Erie County Water Treatment plant, which is south from there).

It's a great beach...and will be even better in a couple of years.

Love your attitude Mr. Chi-town....glad we could agree on Marv, BTW.... :w00t: