Development along waterfront

You lived in Philadelphia? Amerika's largest city owning Amerika's largest inferiority complex?

;)

Did you see those sleps biting their nails when Staahl [sic] scored to make the game close last night? They almost blew it... Was that number 48 that was in his own slot that should have cleared Jordan out... Good thing the other guys with better +/- put the Flyers up a little more!

:thumbsup::blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....here are some pics of what is down near the Erie Basin: Inner Harbor

More pics

More Pics

A bridge and a display are nice, but are there shops popping up around it?

I was in Roseville,CA yeasterday. The east side of town is new and is like Niagara Fals Blvd, full of plazas, but the older part is bisected by the railroad (still active). The old buildings are are all restored and have shops on the first floor and apts above. I had to make a pit stop and had trouble findinga parking spot on a Sunday morning.

A bridge and a display are nice, but are there shops popping up around it?

I was in Roseville,CA yeasterday. The east side of town is new and is like Niagara Fals Blvd, full of plazas, but the older part is bisected by the railroad (still active). The old buildings are are all restored and have shops on the first floor and apts above. I had to make a pit stop and had trouble findinga parking spot on a Sunday morning.

I just got back from there and this is only Part 1 of the restoration, the target date for the buildings adjacent to this is next year. It is a slow process up here but they planned it right, knowing that, it is going to look great once all phases are complete....I will try and take some good pictures myself to show the full scope of what is going down there for many of the out of towners who may be interested.

Well....here are some pics of what is down near the Erie Basin: Inner Harbor

More pics

More Pics

More Pics

Looks great and it is a start... But it has to go somewhere!

:oops::beer:

What made BFLO was the practical place and relevancy geographically... Which it is now irrelevant and a "dead-end"... Commercially, it WAS a very important "break-in-bulk" port. I just don't see where it is headed without anything substantial commercially other than tourism and history. Don't get me wrong, I think those are important... But can it support the "weight" for years to come?

It is sad how the most important factor to anything (geographical relevance) has turned it's back on BFLO!

:doh:

It will always be an uphill battle!

:lol::(

It is really nice EZC! Working in the actual field... I wish it was different. Here in Chicago, what made this city great back in the 1800's is still in play today and still growing! Not to say that the actual Illinois-Michigan Canal is service... But, river transportation is still in play along the canalized sections of rivers here... Still very much the backbone of the economy of this town.

I know Great Lakes transportation is down... Yet, it is still the very conerstone to Canada... The Seaway made BFLO irrelevant... Now, I know I am speaking from being this as my main interest and occupation... But, the American side (BFLO to Lake Ontario) should have never relinquished the transportation route through Welland and Canada... There should have been an "All American Canal" from the onset back in the late 1800's to 1900's... Just a thought!

Good luck BFLO... I just wish it was backed by something more substantial and commercially viable than a faux feeder waterfall with "Commercial Slip" plastered on it... Nothing is coming through except tourists and their fickle pocketbooks!...

Oh well, it is their only hope I suppose and I fully support it!

Good luck BFLO... I just wish it was backed by something more substantial and commercially viable than a faux feeder waterfall with "Commercial Slip" plastered on it... Nothing is coming through except tourists and their fickle pocketbooks!...

Well, that is the next step. Looking forward to see who they bring in

Looks great and it is a start... But it has to go somewhere!

:lol::thumbsup:

What made BFLO was the practical place and relevancy geographically... Which it is now irrelevant and a "dead-end"... Commercially, it WAS a very important "break-in-bulk" port. I just don't see where it is headed without anything substantial commercially other than tourism and history. Don't get me wrong, I think those are important... But can it support the "weight" for years to come?

It is sad how the most important factor to anything (geographical relevance) has turned it's back on BFLO!

:thumbsup:

It will always be an uphill battle!

:(:(

Yeah, they underbuilt the Seaway from day 1 and it's can't handle the big ocean vessels. Given our voracious appetite for LNG (liquified natural gas) it seems to me that if NYS improves the St. Lawrence Seaway and built a pipeline between Rochester and Buffalo Rochester could be the offload point for the LNG, it'd be piped to BFLO where it could be picked up by smaller, lake sized vessels and transported the rest of the way to Cleveland, Chiacago, et al.

That way they'd only have to widen/deepen one part of the system rather than the Seaway, the Welland Canal, the locks in Detroit, etc. The huge ocean going LNG ships could steam straight to Rochester which could become the gas hub for upstate NY with the additonal spur to Buffalo to ship gas further inland.

Companies are actively searching for additional sites to deliver LNG and most of the big cities don't want it because the ships could be big floating bombs if attacked. Smaller cities could jump on that oppotunity. Inland waterways can also be easier to control and defend than open ocean if so desired.

Yeah, they underbuilt the Seaway from day 1 and it's can't handle the big ocean vessels. Given our voracious appetite for LNG (liquified natural gas) it seems to me that if NYS improves the St. Lawrence Seaway and built a pipeline between Rochester and Buffalo Rochester could be the offload point for the LNG, it'd be piped to BFLO where it could be picked up by smaller, lake sized vessels and transported the rest of the way to Cleveland, Chiacago, et al.

That way they'd only have to widen/deepen one part of the system rather than the Seaway, the Welland Canal, the locks in Detroit, etc. The huge ocean going LNG ships could steam straight to Rochester which could become the gas hub for upstate NY with the additonal spur to Buffalo to ship gas further inland.

Companies are actively searching for additional sites to deliver LNG and most of the big cities don't want it because the ships could be big floating bombs if attacked. Smaller cities could jump on that oppotunity. Inland waterways can also be easier to control and defend than open ocean if so desired.

That is one thing I have not seen been shipped too much (LNG)... The talk on the inland is about more container capability and intermodal sites.

Also... No locks at Detroit on the St. Clair... :lol::thumbsup: Being a lock and dam operator, I always thought that the American side should have been more of a player with the transportation route around the Falls.

I can see the whole "floating bombs"... But, it can't be any worse than what is being shipped through right now (ie: jet fuel @ 2,200 or more bbls a pop).

The one thing that is done right (compared to say the Welland) on the American inlands is that ther is no direct usage toll... It is all basically free of charge outside the commerical surcharge on commercial fuel usage.

Great plan and these guys have a track record of getting things done!....Try the video on the bottom as well.....This has great potential and I for one am looking forward to the day it is built! Slowly but surely, business and development has been picking up in Buffalo....Git er done!

Plan is progressing nicely

Progressing? They have a pretty picture now of how the proposed building will look...the final kiss of death to any Buffalo "development".

yes the PLAN is progressing.....in order to build something like this, there are steps that need to be taken......this is one of those steps moron!

Progressing? They have a pretty picture now of how the proposed building will look...the final kiss of death to any Buffalo "development".

VERY clever. How many people are going to continue to steal this gay line? I give you credit for beating Ramius to the punch though.

I saw pictures of the HSBC Arena in the paper before it was built.

Just an FYI, when something is proposed- ["to offer or suggest for consideration or acceptance"]- people want to see a rendering of what it may look like. In fact, colored renderings are often REQUIRED by building departments for permit approval. If you read the article without the picture, you would be wondering what the hell the design looked like. But if they include a picture, it is an opportunity for a snarky comment. Sweet.