Development along waterfront

Anybody expect Hillary or Chuck Schumer to get involved in the Peace Bridge imbroligo? Arlen Specter did that for Philly. Anybody expect the governor to go to bat for Buffalo in a very active way in order to get some long needed projects completed? Gov. Rendell did that for Philly too.

Unfortunately, their support's not the problem. Schumer, Pataki, and Client 9 all have gone bat for the project (and in the governor's case, I'm sure Patterson will continue that pattern).

IMO, the big impediment is the inability of the Peace Bridge Authority and local preservation groups to agree on a design that keeps things not tied up in knots for years. About 75-80 property owners at the proposed bridge landing site and the Olmstead Park Conservancy folks are the 'stick in the sprocket' holding things up, not to mention the latest controversy over the signature bridge design killing too many birds.

The state and federal pols are standing back shaking their heads as, in typical Buffalo fashion, local groups continue to pound each other into the ground.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo News covering the story

Many people who visited Buffalo for the first time were treated to seeing "floatables" in the newly opened Erie Canal Harbor.

After spending $53 million dollars ,one would think this "problem" would have been dealt with before opening the exhibit/destination.

The same old crap.

What is the big... It isn't like we all live in a "bubble"... Just imagine how that sh*t ditch would have looked during the days it was actually operating in the 1800's and beyond. :ph34r::worthy:

Wasn't it Grover Cleveland as Mayor (or was he sheriff?) that cleaned up much of BFLO's seedy waterfront and redlight district? Go figure, Cleveland? Himself with demons...:D:lol:

My point is... GET REAL, my God this is stupid.

What is the big... It isn't like we all live in a "bubble"... Just imagine how that sh*t ditch would have looked during the days it was actually operating in the 1800's and beyond. :ph34r::worthy:

Wasn't it Grover Cleveland as Mayor (or was he sheriff?) that cleaned up much of BFLO's seedy waterfront and redlight district? Go figure, Cleveland? Himself with demons...:D:lol:

My point is... GET REAL, my God this is stupid.

I don't know what "bubble" you live in, but in mine, there isn't sh-- floating around.

I don't know what "bubble" you live in, but in mine, there isn't sh-- floating around.

Here there is... Why do you think they reversed the flow of the Chicago river over 100 years ago in the first place... :D

My god... Just imagine if they had commercial traffic come through... They would be pitching a b*tch about the "mess."

Here there is... Why do you think they reversed the flow of the Chicago river over 100 years ago in the first place... :D

My god... Just imagine if they had commercial traffic come through... They would be pitching a b*tch about the "mess."

Back to your old no-schitt "but it was so much worse in the past" argument, huh EiI? :lol:

In Buffalo, that type of project would never take place. Even if things got hammered and approved like they did in philly, there'd be some nutjobs in buffalo shutting down the project, because the depth of the river has "historical significance" and we wouldnt want to ruin that 5 feet of river bottom.

True.

More or less where you that spoil end up would be the debate... I wouldn't want to imagine what is on the bottom of the BFLO River.

In the old days, they would have just sent it 8 miles out into the lake!

Back to your old no-schitt "but it was so much worse in the past" argument, huh EiI? :worthy:

Ya. You are damn tootin'! :ph34r:

What is wrong with that? Our standards today are too daunting... We can ease up a little bit. There are consequences for each way. The answer is called: "Balance."

Always look from where you have been and know where you are going and strike a medium balance.

I mean look at the porject in BFLO... Where does stuff go? Sure they have a nice waterfall to aerate the thing... Wait to the pervailing winds blow all sorts of debris around... What are people going to do? "Freak"... Oooo that is ugly sh*t pile of driftwood!\

Let's get real.

:D:lol:

Unfortunately, their support's not the problem. Schumer, Pataki, and Client 9 all have gone bat for the project (and in the governor's case, I'm sure Patterson will continue that pattern).

IMO, the big impediment is the inability of the Peace Bridge Authority and local preservation groups to agree on a design that keeps things not tied up in knots for years. About 75-80 property owners at the proposed bridge landing site and the Olmstead Park Conservancy folks are the 'stick in the sprocket' holding things up, not to mention the latest controversy over the signature bridge design killing too many birds.

The state and federal pols are standing back shaking their heads as, in typical Buffalo fashion, local groups continue to pound each other into the ground.

This is what I'm talking about though. If the politicians actually supported the project and acted to shepherd it through and not just give lip service these obstacles would have been overcome. Eminent Domain is a powerful tool and this is the reason why it exists.

I assure you there were plenty of ancillary agencies and environmental groups who were throwing a fit about the dredging project and who will continue to do so. The way it got resolved was the Governor of PA was named chairman of the Delaware River Port Authority (in the case, the stick in the mud). He prevented the board from meeting for a year a half which screwed up funding for other projects in New Jersey (the other stick in the mud). New Jersey eventually caved and the governor got what he wanted. That is using political power. A politician showing up and talking about how a bridge is important is not using power, it's talking. Holding up funding for Olmstead Parks in general until the bridge problem is resolved would be taking action. Threatening to use eminent domain and giving hard deadlines for neighborhood groups to agree to a plan (either agree to a plan by Day X, or we'll make one for you) is using power. Finding money in the budget for a new bird sanctuary to appease the environmental people would be taking action. Instead they all throw up their hands and say "What a mess."

• 2 weeks later...
I was there tonight for the fireworks and it was IMPRESSIVE.

I posted a few pics on my site.

I agree. Took the family last night and it was hard to believe we were in Buffalo, sitting next to the canal and watching the major league boats tie up and hang out watching the fireworks. Must have been 15,000 people, which was good to see downtown.

They've made a very good start on a waterfront that could be amazing if the skyway is ever taken down.

I agree. Took the family last night and it was hard to believe we were in Buffalo, sitting next to the canal and watching the major league boats tie up and hang out watching the fireworks. Must have been 15,000 people, which was good to see downtown.

They've made a very good start on a waterfront that could be amazing if the skyway is ever taken down.

Good pictures and review from last night

I actually think The Aud is a bigger issue, and, thankfully, that's going away.

My first impression while looking back at the city from the new harbor is that the Skyway/190 actually looks OK/cool when there's stuff going on underneath it. It could use some paint or something but I don't think it has to go away.

Thanks for sharing, guys. After staying up late the night before (Bisons/BPO), then hosting 20 people for a daylong cookout/pool party, we were too wiped out to go back downtown -- or anywhere, for that matter. But watching the recap from the Commercial Slip on the 11 p.m. news, I wished we had. Looked awesome.

Don't know about the Skyway, though. Every time I go to Dunn Tire Park, I think about what the view would look like if the Elm Street ramps weren't right behind the fence ...

I actually think The Aud is a bigger issue, and, thankfully, that's going away.

My first impression while looking back at the city from the new harbor is that the Skyway/190 actually looks OK/cool when there's stuff going on underneath it. It could use some paint or something but I don't think it has to go away.

I actually enjoy looking at the Skyway....you are right...put some paint and while you are at it, some lights to make it stand out