Rooting against Teams

#2 I hate the Pittsburgh Steelers...I know..weird

The Steelers are the sports equivilant of the Grateful Dead for me. I used to think I hated the Dead, but after a while, and much grief from friends, I started to realize, it wasn't the Dead's music I hated so much, as it was their annoying fans...

Easily the biggest misconception about sports fans anywhere. The vast majority of people connected to ND are gracious and pleasant. If you go to an ND game, you see a lot more school spirit than tailgating. You don't see drunken, redneck a-holes like in south; you don't see students chanting four letter words at Navy cadets or harassing fans of the opponent. People want to hate ND because they are on TV every week and have a lot of bandwagon fans, that's fine. But to condemn school pride as 'sense of entitlement' or 'arrogance' is bullsh--.

Fire away.

I will respectfully disagree.

If you've ever been to a Notre Dame home game, it seems like there's more security than fans. I would blame the lawfulness on the police state inside the stadium, not the altruism/school spirit/good behavior of the student body.

When you are less than an hour and a half away from a school, you come up with more reasons to dislike something than just because they happen to be on TV a lot. :rolleyes:

The Miami Dolphins for obvious reasons.

The Dallas Cowboys for the superbowls, and because Jones is such a smug, arrogant POS.

The Oakland Raiders because of Al Davis, and because no matter how bad they suck, they are still referenced by broadcasters as something special that we as football fans should revere.

The Atlanta Braves because of the Tomahawk Chop, KC Chiefs when they do it too.

If you're talking about TEAMS against which I root, the list is pretty simple:

Pats*

Pats*

Pats*

Cowboys

Raiders (easy target, but everyone likes to kick a man when he's down, and then urinate in his mouth)

Georgetown in NCAA hoops (can't ever get over it, ever, ever, ever)

If you're talking about PEOPLE against whom I'd root, the list is only marginally more complex:

George "W." Bush (death's too good)

Suze Orman

Michael Jordan

Oprah Winfrey

Rush-the-Tush Limbaugh

Shannon Sharpe (Speech lessons. Please.)

Interesting thread. The "it's only a game" part of me makes me want to say I don't purposely root against anyone because doing so is a waste of energy...but...who am I kidding?

NFL -- I specifically root for these teams to lose each week, regardless of the head coach or who is on the roster: Dolphins, Jets, Pats*, Cowboys. I generally root against the Broncos, Oilers/Titans, Steelers, Raiders, and Jaguars, but that can change in a given game/season if those teams either have head coaches or prominent players I respect.

NHL -- Hurricanes.

NCAA -- Dook.

MLB -- Braves, Cardinals.

NBA -- Don't care enough.

MLS -- hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :rolleyes:

There are totally teams that you learn to hate because of Location and there are totally teams that you learn to enjoy watching because of either people you meet and location.

I used to only care about the Bills, Yankees, and Syracuse Basketball. I moved to Cincinnati to attend Xavier University (Elite 8 Punks!!!!!) and I have found myself absolutely hating "The" Ohio State University. They can Schit on Themselves.

I do cheer for the Bengals now, and the Reds a little bit.

I kinda always find myself likeing teams that the girl I date likes, so the Redskins and really any team from DC (at the moment).

I find that I hate every team that my Roommate likes, so Kansas, Detroit Tigers, KC Chiefs.

Its funny how those things affect the teams you like and dislike.

Against:

yankees

jests

fish

pattycakes

rangers

phillies

braves

steelers

jests

yankees

leafs

lakers

knicks

chevys

any team playing the Bills, Sabres or any other Buffalo team!!

Did I mention the yankees and jests?

My entire basis of being a sports fan, other than my love for the Bills and Sabres, is based on hatred. It makes sports so much more fun. :rolleyes:

Without further ado, my five tiers of hatred, in baseball-football-hockey-basketball order:

Yankees

Dolphins

Flyers

Lakers

Dodgers

Patriots

Senators

Duke

Red Sox

Jets

Maple Loafs

Penn

Braves

Cowboys

Rangers

Carolina

Phillies

Redskins

Penguins

Rutgers

Some of these are based on being a Bills, Sabres and (to a lesser extent) Mets fan. Others are based on college affiliation and hating teams liked by people I detest. :w00t:

Hurricanes, Senators, Flyers, BoSox, Leafs, Dolphins, Pats*, and Titans. The NHL and NFL are the only two sports I really follow. And those teams I don't like for reasons. When it comes to basketball, just as long as its not a blow out I can watch it. Go Bills, Sabres and Yankees. :w00t:

:rolleyes: the rest of them...

I can't say that I've ever met a non-AFCE ant-Bills fan. Most people view meeting a Bills fan as meeting someone living with a terminal disease. It's a reception of pity, respect, general good will and a distinct feeling of "I'm glad I'm not that guy." Of course I speak mainly of people in my age group whose casual knowledge of the Bills starts with "0-4" and ends with Flutie.

I don't really hate too many other teams. It's torturous enough rooting for the Bills to win, you just set yourself up for more disappointment if you have a list of 15 other teams you want to lose. Having said that, I could do without the following:

- Miami

- NE (but that will fade after Belichick leaves I think...)

- Dallas

- Michigan

- Southern Cal

- UF (just football, and just Urban)

- Boston College

- Red Sox

I will respectfully disagree.

If you've ever been to a Notre Dame home game, it seems like there's more security than fans. I would blame the lawfulness on the police state inside the stadium, not the altruism/school spirit/good behavior of the student body.

When you are less than an hour and a half away from a school, you come up with more reasons to dislike something than just because they happen to be on TV a lot. :blink:

Speaking from too much personal experience, the home games are over-policed because the administration has a collective sphincter tighter than a vice. When you allow young looking, undercover police to patrol tailgates dressed in ND clothes and wearing backpacks like students for the sole purpose of checking IDs, you've officially lost your mind. I'm not talking about monitoring rowdiness or inappropriate behavior, I'm talking approaching a group of kids standing in a circle talking and demanding ID from each one followed by threat of a breathalyzer. Madness...if I keep talking about it, I'll just get pissed off all over again. My point is, the level of security is not a good barometer for the collective behavior of the students. They could cut the police force in half and the amount of problems wouldn't budge.

Having said that, I respectfully disagree with you. There are @ssholes at every school, but I'd challenge you to find an overall more pleasant game day atmosphere at a big-time college program, especially one that draws such intense feelings on both sides of the fence. Sure people are gonna talk sht here and there, but opposing fans deal with a lot less at ND than they do at other big sport schools. IMHO, that is...

Side note, I went to Purdue for an away game my freshman year and I'll say that the people I met there were some of the friendliest I've ever seen. Of course it was only 1 game and ND was I think 5-7 at the time, but I've got nothing but good things to say about the Purdue kids I met.

For a lot of people here it would have to be The Buffalo Bills. JMHO.

:blink:

That's a little harsh Nanker.

I'm sure the people you are thinking of root for the Bills big time......despite every single thing in the organization from Owner all the way down to Waterboy being totally mismanaged/unplanned/unskilled/outdated/cheap/screwed.

Tennessee Titans for the festering wound they gave to the Bills. (MCM and then our acquiring Greg, Jerry Gray, Eddie Robinson and a version of their uniforms.)

P*s and Miami of course.

But there is a special place reserved for Jimmy Johnson and whatever area of the universe he is currently occupying.

Root For: Bills, Sabres, Cubs, Yankees,(Bulls/Sixers when my NBA ban is lifted)

Root against: Cardinals, Mets, Jets, The NBA in general = I won't watch it until they win a Gold Medal in the Olympics. If they can make all this money from this country, the least they can do is show up for the Olympics. Show me a gold medal and I might start showing you some attention, same thing for college basketball. There's no excuse for any of it, period. It's once every 4 friggin years! If we are supposed to buy in to how "great" these guys are...:blink: Might as well go down to the park and save yourself the $60, it's the same thing right now .

Hate: Dolfags, Pats*, The NFC East(- the Giants, how can you hate them now?), Women's Lacrosse, Nascar, Flyers, Senators(mostly their fans not so much the team)

Don't mind seeing them do well: Steelers, Browns, Bears, Giants, Any college football team as long as they aren't Miami, and they deserve to be there/win.

Mostly my hate boils down to media and/or fans.

Dolphins - I still get a kick out of everyone saying "Marino was surrounded by garbage teams" after the fact. I mean it might be true, but it's funny how for a 10+ year period beginning in ~85, those same people picked them to win the AFC practically every year.

Patriots - Unlike others I do not think the media "fellates" them more than they would any other team if they had the same track record for the last 8 years. However I am still annoyed by "Just give it to them" as well as the '01 dynasty being jump-started by multiple bogus calls.

Cowboys - The hype is a bit much for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade. Bandwagon fans galore too obv.

Red Sox - The rare reverse bandwagon fan that was way too widespread pre '04. "I grew up nowhere near Mass but it's cool to hate the Yankees and I like pretending to be a long-suffering diehard fan. Also it's fun to ask for pity by grossly exaggerating the impact of the Buckner error as if we had the game won before that play". Thankfully there are fewer of them now.

Duke - A poor man's Cowboys brand of hate. 1 title in 15 years...yawn. Somebody mentioned Kentucky but they at least played in 3 straight championship games in the late 90's, winning 2 and losing the 3rd in OT - and they don't get half the coverage.

:thumbsup:

That's a little harsh Nanker.

I'm sure the people you are thinking of root for the Bills big time......despite every single thing in the organization from Owner all the way down to Waterboy being totally mismanaged/unplanned/unskilled/outdated/cheap/screwed.

Hah! Just checked back on this thread.

Thanks for the grin Dibs. :blink:

Oh, and you forgot to mention - they're moving north.

Mostly my hate boils down to media and/or fans.

Dolphins - I still get a kick out of everyone saying "Marino was surrounded by garbage teams" after the fact. I mean it might be true, but it's funny how for a 10+ year period beginning in ~85, those same people picked them to win the AFC practically every year.

Patriots - Unlike others I do not think the media "fellates" them more than they would any other team if they had the same track record for the last 8 years. However I am still annoyed by "Just give it to them" as well as the '01 dynasty being jump-started by multiple bogus calls.

Cowboys - The hype is a bit much for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade. Bandwagon fans galore too obv.

Red Sox - The rare reverse bandwagon fan that was way too widespread pre '04. "I grew up nowhere near Mass but it's cool to hate the Yankees and I like pretending to be a long-suffering diehard fan. Also it's fun to ask for pity by grossly exaggerating the impact of the Buckner error as if we had the game won before that play". Thankfully there are fewer of them now.

Duke - A poor man's Cowboys brand of hate. 1 title in 15 years...yawn. Somebody mentioned Kentucky but they at least played in 3 straight championship games in the late 90's, winning 2 and losing the 3rd in OT - and they don't get half the coverage.

I'm with you- I don't really hate teams, just fans or media slobbering. I do love watching the Cowboys, Phins, Pats, Duke, BU, and Notre Dame lose, however. Not necessarily in that order.

I can't say that I've ever met a non-AFCE ant-Bills fan. Most people view meeting a Bills fan as meeting someone living with a terminal disease. It's a reception of pity, respect, general good will and a distinct feeling of "I'm glad I'm not that guy." Of course I speak mainly of people in my age group whose casual knowledge of the Bills starts with "0-4" and ends with Flutie.

Man, you hit the nail on the head with that statement.

I have traveled extensively around the world, everytime you meet up with a contact or business associate

and the conversation comes up...where ya from ? I say Buffalo , NY...9 out of 10 times the person gets this stupid smile

that you are describing...after that they bust on the weather.

Some people in Syracuse can't stand the Bills because the are the featured team on CBS games, and if they like another AFC team it prevents them from seeing them, especially the Jets.

Teams I root against outside AFC East:

NFL: Giants, Cowboys, Steelers, Colts, Broncos.

NHL: Maple Leafs, Senators, Canadiens, Bruins, Flyers, Islanders, Hurricanes, Red Wings, Flames, Stars.

MLB: Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Rangers.

NBA: Lakers, Celtics.

College: Notre Dame, North Carolina, Duke, UCLA.

My bottom 10...

1. Any one the Bills are playing at the time

1a. Any one ahead of the Bills in a playoff race

2. stinkin' fish

3. Pats*

4. Jests

5. Cowboys

6. Titans

7. Giants

8. Ravens

9. Raiders

10. Steelers