Rooting against Teams

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easily the biggest misconception about sports fans anywhere. The vast majority of people connected to ND are gracious and pleasant. If you go to an ND game, you see a lot more school spirit than tailgating. You don't see drunken, redneck a-holes like in south; you don't see students chanting four letter words at Navy cadets or harassing fans of the opponent. People want to hate ND because they are on TV every week and have a lot of bandwagon fans, that's fine. But to condemn school pride as 'sense of entitlement' or 'arrogance' is bullsh--.

Fire away.

There are those who do feel a certain sense of entitlement and display arrogance when it comes to "that school". Having said that, they're no worse than other major sports teams. I hear people whine and complain 'bout Steeler fans all the time on here, but my (Steeler fan) wife and I get to attend games @ Heinz Field yearly thanks to a couple of Steeler fans who also happen to be season ticket holders. My Mother and brother are also diehard Steeler fans. None of them would classify as "redneck a-holes" nor do they chant four letter words @ Navy cadets.

I would love to attend a game @ that school to find out for myself, but college tickets are extremely expensive. I paid LESS for season tickets for the Bills than I would've paid for a pair of tickets to either of the "that school-PENN STATE" games of the past two seasons.

Bottom line: Ignorant fans; every team has 'em.

Has anyone ever come across an Anti-Bill fan?

The people I work with-I've driven them crazy talking about the Bills. During the Super Bowl years, the 1st 2 years when I'd get back from the game they would leave things at my desk. XXV they put all these newspaper clippings all over my desk. XXVI, they had crime scene tape & an outline of a body with #12 in the middle. By XXVII they gave up, but Petrino went with me and the people on his floor took over-they made up a coffin and scanned his ID photo and put the face on it, they also put a ton of the forms EA5217 all over the place to represent the score. Nobody did anything when we got back from XXVIII. However I once had a co-worker say to me "I never realized how long the football season was until I worked next to you."

Pirates - management dismembered and neutered a storied franchise for filthy lucre. :devil:

Penguins - perennial podunk team whose games I attended frequently when I moved to PGH in 1978. They drafted Mario Lemieux in 1984. The next year - they told fans that they would have to buy multiple ticket packages if you wanted to see the Pens play top teams at the time, like the Edmonton Oilers. My wife had a co-worker who belonged to their "Igloo Club". After years of support for that weak sister outfit, in 1985 they were told that that their season tix together were a thing of the past - jump back into the hopper and good luck. :blink:

The NBA - in general...walk, walk, walk...palm, palm, palm, travel, travel, travel. Thank you Michael Jordan. Two madman shooters and 3 stiffs on the court at any given time. :lol:

NCAA basketball - three players on the court at any time in every game launching 3 point bombs with 30% shooting percentage. :pirate:

:lol:

Hate:

Pats*

Fins

Jets

Cowboys

Senators

Flyers

Stars

Thrashers

Leafs

Yankees

Red Sox

Lakers

Suns

Syracuse U

Notre Dame

Texas

Rodney Harrison

Teddy Bruschi (and his swiss cheese heart)

Terrell Owens

Tom Brady

Willis McGahee

Dan Marino

John Elway

I don't have time to list any more.

--ie Yankees, Nortre Dame, Cowboys, NE. However I just came across a guy who is not an AFC East fan, went to school at Geneseo and roots against the Bills. Thought this was very strange. Has anyone ever come across an Anti-Bill fan?

I guess most people haven't, since this has turned into a "this is what I hate thread." But I have a good friend who is very anti-bills and has been since long before I knew him. He moved around a lot as a kid as his dad kept changing jobs, but picked out the Bengals as his team for whatever reason. His family lived in Buffalo during the Super Bowl years, and he found the Buffalo fans to be very obnoxious. One annoyance he cited was the shout song, specifically how they used to play it on the radio, and they would dub over it with players quotes like "We wanted to bring this victory home to the fans" and whatever other cliches. (Anyone remember this?) His bills hatred continues recently since we've had the bengals' number the last 5 or 6 times we've played them, even back in 03 when we were terrible.

i hate teams and players contextually. i hate the ones who play us.

i'll always hate the pats. i don't hate for example the titans for the music city, or the skins and boys for the superbowls. i hate front runners and other homos, but really i hate teams based on the here and now, not on a legacy.

#1 I hate the Cowboys and Giants for obvious reasons...

I remember going to UB when the Bills lost to the Giants and hearing all the kids from Long Island loving it..

Side note, I met Emmitt Smith a few years ago when he was with Arizona, he was staying at the Marriott with the team

while they were in town to play the Bills. I was at the Marriott bar and my friend spotted him..and thought he was Thurman Thomas. We went up to him and he shook our hands and gave us his autograph, really classy guy. I told him that I thought he was great but that I still had to hate his guts for the Superbowl thing..he laughed and said I don't blame ya.

#2 I hate the Pittsburgh Steelers...I know..weird but I have a friend who is from Buffalo and owns a local chain of

hot dog restaurants...He makes his living from Buffalo and hates the Bills ( I think Jim Kelly's brother nailed his old girlfriend along time ago ). Anyway, He is Mr. Steelers..and I argue with him that he cannot be a real Steelers fan cuz he was born here lives here, makes his living off the area....he brushes it off and tells me how bad the Bills suck all the time..sad part is he is right about it..

I know these aren't teams but I really enjoy hating on :

Dan Dierdorf

Randy Cross

Boomer Esiason

and

Soloman Wilcox

I dislike Dan Marino too but the guy is about as smart as a rock, hating on him would be like picking on a disabled person.

Only teams I really hate are the Dolphins, Cowboys, Bruins, Flyers, Senators, NY Raners, Lakers and Pistons and Red Sox...all for the reason that they are rivals to my favorite teams in their respective sports. But, I have always had an aversion to the Philadelphia Eagles, which I can't really explain...just hate that team...maybe becasue I kind of hate that city too....though I got no problem with the Sixers or Phillies....