whitner

When Donte Whitner was roaming the secondary as a college player for Ohio State, their game plan each week was pretty straightforward. On a roster blessed with more than its share of top flight athletes, most of the time the coaching staff would leave the secondary in man-to-man coverage knowing their cornerbacks could handle it. In his three seasons playing for the Buckeyes Whitner can only remember one exception, Indiana receiver James Hardy.

"The only guy we ever based our defensive coverages around was him," said Whitner of Hardy. "We didn't game plan for a lot of receivers, but we did game plan for him."

In the three games prior to Indiana's matchup with Ohio State, Hardy in his first full collegiate season of football had racked up 478 receiving yards on 29 catches (16.4 avg.) and five touchdowns. That included a ridiculous 12-catch 203-yard and two touchdown performance at Iowa the week before. Standing over 6'5" with a vertical leap of 37 inches, even the highly-ranked Buckeyes had to give Hardy extra attention.

"Playing Indiana we didn't care about the receiver on the other side, even if they put five receivers on the field we didn't care," recalled Whitner. "We played everybody else man-to-man and we kept two guys on him. He's a mismatch."

At the time Hardy was not accustomed to being double teamed on every play and aside from him the Hoosier offense didn't have much else. Hardy finished the game with just two catches for 27 yards as Indiana passed for all of 95 yards on the day in a 41-10 final.

But after facing double teams for every game after that for three seasons, Whitner is convinced that Hardy can make an early impact for Buffalo even if given the same attention he attracted in college.

"Hardy is a seasoned guy," said Whitner. "He was the focal point of their offense at Indiana. Whenever you're on a football team and you're the focal point you're going to get double teamed and triple teamed. So he's used to that."

That being said Whitner doesn't believe Hardy will see as many double teams as he did in college due to the simple fact that a proven wideout in Lee Evans will be lined up on the other side.

"When he's singled up it's going to be a breath of fresh air because he's coming from a team where he was the only offensive threat," said Whitner of Hardy. "Now he's going to be singled up. We'll see what happens, but I believe he'll come in and make a lot of noise this year and give us that threat we need in the red zone."

The red zone, which was a major area of deficiency for the Bills last season when it came to scoring touchdowns, might be Hardy's favorite place on the field.

"I feel (if you) just put the ball in my area I'll be able to come down with it," said Hardy.

Adding Hardy to Buffalo's receiving corps obviously has Whitner excited. He believes that a receiver with the size and ability of Hardy will force opposing defenses to make tough choices when it comes to coverage.

"Any time you have a guy that's 6'5" or 6'6" with the speed that he has and with Lee (Evans) on the other side and guys like Roscoe (Parrish) and Josh (Reed) in the slot, you have a dangerous receiving corps," Whitner said. "So now when we get down in the red zone we don't have to come up with little schemes or tricks to try to get in the end zone. You can just throw the ball up to him and if he's double covered that means Lee is probably singled up. And I'm taking Lee 95 percent of the time against any corner in the league one-on-one. If you try to double both of them you have a guy like Roscoe in the slot. And I don't believe that anybody can cover him one-on-one in the slot in true man to man. I truly don't believe it. So now you have a very dangerous receiving corps."

As much impact as Whitner believes the addition of Hardy will provide to Buffalo's passing game, he also sees it benefiting the Bills ground attack.

"You have to worry about Marshawn because now you can't load eight in the box if there are two dangerous receivers on the outside," said Whitner. "So you have to pick your poison now. You can load eight in the box and let us beat you with the pass or you can play some of those two-deep shells with a double team on one side and some combination coverages, but then Marshawn is going to get loose."

Buffalo's running game has Hardy convinced he'll be able to make plays as a rookie, because opponents won't be able to devote as much attention to him as they did in college.

"The running game here in Buffalo is so much better that it will open things up more than at Indiana where we were mostly a spread offense and they just threw me the ball," Hardy said. "Overall I feel I'll be able to contribute."

Whitner has already talked to Evans about the addition of Hardy and both are very interested to see just how well he'll blend into Buffalo's attack. Having already seen him up close and personal on the field Whitner sounds sold on the difference Hardy will make for the Bills offense in 2008.

Said Whitner succinctly.

Great stuff, thanks for posting.

Quick question, though -- did Whitner comment on the team's disappointment they didn't draft offensive linemen with their first three picks?

Quick question, though -- did Whitner comment on the team's disappointment they didn't draft offensive linemen with their first three picks?

LOLOL!!!!!!

Great to hear the support from the teammates, especially Whitner. That dude is the man. At the same time, the last few seasons we've heard the same line during the offseason......

if they double up on this guy, then this guy will be open, and they won't be able to put 8 in the box, so the run game will open up, they can't cover us all.....

which all sounds great now, but I told myself I wouldn't get too excited about hearing that line again this offseason. I can't wait for the fall, and I hope it's true, but I'm waiting until I see it to get pumped about it.

Perhaps the post made so little sense that he couldn't see where you were going.

I think it made perfect sense...in fact, I also picked up in Whitner's comments a distinct air of doubt that the right coaching staff is in place to lead this team forward. He sounds downright depressed.

I think it made perfect sense...in fact, I also picked up in Whitner's comments a distinct air of doubt that the right coaching staff is in place to lead this team forward. He sounds downright depressed.

How could that be possible? Everything Jauron does is great, no?

;) great stuff eball!

I didn't pick that up at all. Sounded more like a shot at the talent we had on the team last year to me. Whitner's a team first guy, I don't think he would be calling out the coaches like that.

Its hard to see how anyone on the Bills squad would be disappointed with them not taking an OL with one of their first three because the simple reality is who would they have picked.

There was simply no one available on the OL when they chose that easily could be judged as worthy of passing up on either McKelvin, Hardy or even Ellis-

1. McKelvin is probably the pick they could have most easily done without in terms of meeting team needs, but once this player whom the Bills viewed as worthy of a top 10 pick slipped to #11, they were going to pick him. The Bills are satisfied and committed to Pro Bowlers Peters and behemoth Walker st T, so at T they need and were looking for back-up help and the Ts available were starter material so picking a T made little sense as at best a choice of Clady or Williams would have simply meant relegating Walker or a 1st rounder to back-up status.

At G we are locked up contractually and talent wise with Dockery so even a choice of the top G Albert would have simply meant relegating Butler who they view as a good potential starter to back-up. We need a back-up G as Whittle is getting older and Preston has not taken advantage of his chance to be a starter and many fans have turned on him, but it is hard to see how they spend a 1st rounder on a G.

At G we have Fowler who though he has beaten injury bug which made him a non-starter earlier in his career is by no means the dominant player we are used at C from the Kent Hull glory days. Yet, there was no one (and as best as I can tell no one) who folks saw as even a potentially dominant center in the long run from this draft so no one who knows the least bit about the game could be disappointed by us not making some weird fantasy reach by taking a C in the first.

The drafting of McKelvin with the #1 made it a a certainty that we were gonna go WR at #2 and if this position was not filled then you might have heard vocal dissension from not only the fans (we always whine no matter what) but probably even some of the players might express confusion,

Round 3 provided the only potential for rationale disappointment (again we fans are not required to rational) as a case might have been made for taking Jaremy Zuttah from Rutgers and switching him from tackle to G. However, in this case he likely would have warmed the bench in case Butler went south rather than really fortifying our DL rotation so complaint would have been not seen or unwarranted anyway from any Bill.

I would be shocked to hear any player disappointment at no OL picks in the first three because there were no real choices to help the OL here that would not have meant a huge sacrifice by the Bills.

"Playing Indiana we didn't care about the receiver on the other side, even if they put five receivers on the field we didn't care," recalled Whitner. "We played everybody else man-to-man and we kept two guys on him. He's a mismatch."

Okay, I'm trying to do the math here. We'll put 2 guys on Hardy, 1 guy on Evans, 1 guy on Parrish in the slot, 1 guy to cover Lynch, 1 guy to shadow Edwards, 1 guy to cover Derek Fine, 4 pass rushers...who covers Viti?

When Donte Whitner was roaming the secondary as a college player for Ohio State, their game plan each week was pretty straightforward. On a roster blessed with more than its share of top flight athletes, most of the time the coaching staff would leave the secondary in man-to-man coverage knowing their cornerbacks could handle it. In his three seasons playing for the Buckeyes Whitner can only remember one exception, Indiana receiver James Hardy.

"The only guy we ever based our defensive coverages around was him," said Whitner of Hardy. "We didn't game plan for a lot of receivers, but we did game plan for him."

In the three games prior to Indiana's matchup with Ohio State, Hardy in his first full collegiate season of football had racked up 478 receiving yards on 29 catches (16.4 avg.) and five touchdowns. That included a ridiculous 12-catch 203-yard and two touchdown performance at Iowa the week before. Standing over 6'5" with a vertical leap of 37 inches, even the highly-ranked Buckeyes had to give Hardy extra attention.

At the time Hardy was not accustomed to being double teamed on every play and aside from him the Hoosier offense didn't have much else. Hardy finished the game with just two catches for 27 yards as Indiana passed for all of 95 yards on the day in a 41-10 final.

But after facing double teams for every game after that for three seasons, Whitner is convinced that Hardy can make an early impact for Buffalo even if given the same attention he attracted in college.

"Hardy is a seasoned guy," said Whitner. "He was the focal point of their offense at Indiana. Whenever you're on a football team and you're the focal point you're going to get double teamed and triple teamed. So he's used to that."

That being said Whitner doesn't believe Hardy will see as many double teams as he did in college due to the simple fact that a proven wideout in Lee Evans will be lined up on the other side.

"When he's singled up it's going to be a breath of fresh air because he's coming from a team where he was the only offensive threat," said Whitner of Hardy. "Now he's going to be singled up. We'll see what happens, but I believe he'll come in and make a lot of noise this year and give us that threat we need in the red zone."

The red zone, which was a major area of deficiency for the Bills last season when it came to scoring touchdowns, might be Hardy's favorite place on the field.

"I feel (if you) just put the ball in my area I'll be able to come down with it," said Hardy.

Adding Hardy to Buffalo's receiving corps obviously has Whitner excited. He believes that a receiver with the size and ability of Hardy will force opposing defenses to make tough choices when it comes to coverage.

"Any time you have a guy that's 6'5" or 6'6" with the speed that he has and with Lee (Evans) on the other side and guys like Roscoe (Parrish) and Josh (Reed) in the slot, you have a dangerous receiving corps," Whitner said. "So now when we get down in the red zone we don't have to come up with little schemes or tricks to try to get in the end zone. You can just throw the ball up to him and if he's double covered that means Lee is probably singled up. And I'm taking Lee 95 percent of the time against any corner in the league one-on-one. If you try to double both of them you have a guy like Roscoe in the slot. And I don't believe that anybody can cover him one-on-one in the slot in true man to man. I truly don't believe it. So now you have a very dangerous receiving corps."

As much impact as Whitner believes the addition of Hardy will provide to Buffalo's passing game, he also sees it benefiting the Bills ground attack.

"You have to worry about Marshawn because now you can't load eight in the box if there are two dangerous receivers on the outside," said Whitner. "So you have to pick your poison now. You can load eight in the box and let us beat you with the pass or you can play some of those two-deep shells with a double team on one side and some combination coverages, but then Marshawn is going to get loose."

Buffalo's running game has Hardy convinced he'll be able to make plays as a rookie, because opponents won't be able to devote as much attention to him as they did in college.

"The running game here in Buffalo is so much better that it will open things up more than at Indiana where we were mostly a spread offense and they just threw me the ball," Hardy said. "Overall I feel I'll be able to contribute."

Whitner has already talked to Evans about the addition of Hardy and both are very interested to see just how well he'll blend into Buffalo's attack. Having already seen him up close and personal on the field Whitner sounds sold on the difference Hardy will make for the Bills offense in 2008.

Said Whitner succinctly.

This post makes me a lot happier than the. "What if Hardy is a bust one?"

they should have asked Trent or Marshawn that question ;)

I love getting sucked in every offseason, I mean I really do enjoy telling any and everybody within earshot just why this year is gonna be different. I cant imagine how hard it must be for bills fans who dont get excited every offseason, thats sounds awful and i feel bad for them. I love the fact this team is like the 3rd youngest (?) in the league and we have a core group that if they play up to potential, we can have a nice 5-7 year run.

Marshawn is a man, and with hardy's physicality on the outside this offense in just 2 short years has transformed from small and (wannabe)fancy to big and agressive. I believe the def even more so then the offense has become tough!

Great to hear the support from the teammates, especially Whitner. That dude is the man. At the same time, the last few seasons we've heard the same line during the offseason......

if they double up on this guy, then this guy will be open, and they won't be able to put 8 in the box, so the run game will open up, they can't cover us all.....

which all sounds great now, but I told myself I wouldn't get too excited about hearing that line again this offseason. I can't wait for the fall, and I hope it's true, but I'm waiting until I see it to get pumped about it.

Exactly which wide receiver did we bring in recently that they made this comment about? When we make it to the playoffs I think we should send McGayhee a gift card to Applebees with a card that says "glad you're not here"

The most telling quote of that entire article "we don't have to come up with little schemes or tricks to try to get in the end zone."

Like that screen pass on the last play of the cleveland game :P But that article did get me fired up, I really feel better about the team this year than I have in a long time, I really think this year will be special.

Like that screen pass on the last play of the cleveland game :PBut that article did get me fired up, I really feel better about the team this year than I have in a long time, I really think this year will be special.

I'm unfortunately reminded of my schoolgirl-like giddiness after the 2-0 start in 2003, and the subsequent crash to earth.

I'm very optimistic, but trying to temper my enthusiasm. It seems like they've got a good thing in the works.

I'm unfortunately reminded of my schoolgirl-like giddiness after the 2-0 start in 2003, and the subsequent crash to earth.

I'm very optimistic, but trying to temper my enthusiasm. It seems like they've got a good thing in the works.

I was at that game in Jax, Bledsoe lit them up and I recall (fogly) schoolin' the hundred or so Jag fans at the game that THIS is how a championship team is made!!

I haven't shown my face around there in a long time :P

Its hard to see how anyone on the Bills squad would be disappointed with them not taking an OL with one of their first three because the simple reality is who would they have picked.

There was simply no one available on the OL when they chose that easily could be judged as worthy of passing up on either McKelvin, Hardy or even Ellis-

Certainly.

Since they were 3rd from the bottom in pass attempts (which aided the low sack numbers along with the lack of deep pass plays) and AFAIK running numerous 2 TE + FB sets, along with not exactly ripping up the league in 3rd down conversions, they may as well continue their ways and not draft OLs until the bitter end of the draft.

One OL pick in the 7th round should help them maintain their status quo - assuming the remarkable lack of OL injuries re-visits, this coming season... :P

Certainly.

Since they were 3rd from the bottom in pass attempts (which aided the low sack numbers along with the lack of deep pass plays) and AFAIK running numerous 2 TE + FB sets, along with not exactly ripping up the league in 3rd down conversions, they may as well continue their ways and not draft OLs until the bitter end of the draft.

One OL pick in the 7th round should help them maintain their status quo - assuming the remarkable lack of OL injuries re-visits, this coming season... :P

stats dont tell the story...the time the qb was afforded on those attempts was far greater then in previous years and this line will be even better in year 2 together..i have watched some of the worse ol play over the last decade from this team, until last season. Greatly improved and on the right track.

stats dont tell the story...the time the qb was afforded on those attempts was far greater then in previous years and this line will be even better in year 2 together..i have watched some of the worse ol play over the last decade from this team, until last season. Greatly improved and on the right track.

Yes...but like you say... looking forward to 2 years together. What happens if they lose OL starts more in line with the usual for most clubs? what's your confidence level in the OL bench?

They correctly nursed Edwards - not a bunch of time-consuming deep pass patterns. AFAIK.

Yes...but like you say... looking forward to 2 years together. What happens if they lose OL starts more in line with the usual for most clubs? what's your confidence level in the OL bench?

They correctly nursed Edwards - not a bunch of time-consuming deep pass patterns. AFAIK.

not to wory - they picked up an undrafted free agent OG AND a 7th round project. :thumbsup:

There are not enough roster spots for all of this OL talent. :beer:

not to wory - they picked up an undrafted free agent OG AND a 7th round project. :thumbsup:

There are not enough roster spots for all of this OL talent. :beer:

Well, don't worry...we have Preston. He conquered the Yukon.

"Sergeant Preston of the Northwest Mounted Police with Yukon King, swiftest and strongest lead dog breaking the trail in the relentless pursuit of lawbreakers, in the wild days of the Yukon. Back to the days of the Gold Rush, as Sergeant Preston, with his wonder dog, Yukon King, meets the challenge of the Yukon."...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182633/

:beer: