Surprise

I have a feeling that the biggest surprise player for us this year will be ... Steven Johnson, our seventh round pick in the draft. I know that sounds crazy, but here's my thinking. The starting three are going to be Evans, Hardy, and Reed in the slot. Parrish may start as the fourth man, but by the middle of the season, I think Johnson will be getting more time and could be a taller faster version of Welker. He has very good speed, decent height at 6'2'' and he has excellent hands.

The other surprise, I think, is the obvious one. James Hardy. I think he will put up very good numbers with the Bills, better than most people actually think. I would guess that Hardy has a 50-850-7 year. This will have a serious impact with the team and allow for Evans to get back the numbers he enjoyed in 2005, something like 75-1200-9. Let's see what you all think.

Ohhh mannnn its OMONNNNNN

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DT John McCargo. He'll benefit from our front seven, especially because of Marcus Stroud's presence. Having ample time to heal his foot completely will also be another factor in his production.

We now have a defense that will be coming from every angle. Every position will be intertwined with each other. The pressure up front on passing downs will make our secondary highly effective. Our LBs and increasing our beef in the middle of our defense will slow down an opposing offense's running game also.

If the national public doesn't realize how immensely improved our defense is going to be than oh well but shame on the Buffalo fan who stays pessimistic because of our past failures. It's time to stop being afraid of success. We have the STs to always keep us in great field position and an offense that will not only be effective but also capable of being highly dangerous. Injuries is our biggest foe, especially concerning our QBs. I implore you not to make what I'm saying ugly. We are going to be highly successful barring major injuries. Are we going to unbeatable or a dynasty? No, that's not what I'm implying. We have a very favorable schedule, many players returning from season ending injuries and valuable playing time for young back ups and players new to their positions. We also have our coaching staff that has mostly stayed intact and have continuity with each other.

Our WRs/TEs are now going to be a stronger part of our team and as the season progresses they will be meshing even better. The new additions, Hardy and Fine, will definitely be adjusting to a huge learning curve but they are surrounded by veterans who will not only accelerate this learning curve for them but also will be able to cover for them so that the team is dependent on these two. These two are only looked at as compliments, not our focal point on offense.

I'm really impressed with the way that Trent Edwards throws the short and intermediate passes. This kid has a great touch. His decision making will be drasticly improved and Evans will have a great year with HUGE catches for massive gains. I'm not kidding or being delusional about that. I'm not saying that we are going to be airing it out all the time but when you have a defense on it's heels than it's alot easier to make big plays. We are going to be playing alot of football this year with a lead.

Lynch and Jackson is a potent one-two punch for our run game and any other RB on our roster who contributes will be an added bonus for us. Our offensive line will be roadgrading teams. I expect Brad Butler to be more than adequate and Fowler will be serviceable.

The days of a dynasty in this league has been gone for quite some time now. Franchises/teams go in waves for success. It's our time now. We have been building this foundation for the last few years and now it's time to reap some of the dividends this year.

I beg to differ. I think the biggest surprise player in 2008 is going to be Roscoe Parrish. With Evans and Hardy drawing the attention of the starting corners and safeties Roscoe will line up against nickel/dimebacks and will be able to tack on some YAC with his speed

I tend to agree with you.....things could be setting up nicely for Parrish this year.

Oman -- He'd be a leading candidate simply if he makes the team given the breakout performances of last year. But Oman is going to make a good number of short yardage first downs (behind Viti) and will find the endzone a lot more than most fans are expecting.

I have a feeling that the biggest surprise player for us this year will be ... Steven Johnson, our seventh round pick in the draft. I know that sounds crazy, but here's my thinking. The starting three are going to be Evans, Hardy, and Reed in the slot. Parrish may start as the fourth man, but by the middle of the season, I think Johnson will be getting more time and could be a taller faster version of Welker. He has very good speed, decent height at 6'2'' and he has excellent hands.

The other surprise, I think, is the obvious one. James Hardy. I think he will put up very good numbers with the Bills, better than most people actually think. I would guess that Hardy has a 50-850-7 year. This will have a serious impact with the team and allow for Evans to get back the numbers he enjoyed in 2005, something like 75-1200-9. Let's see what you all think.

Some people here have mentioned Poz but the only way I'd find him surprising next year is if he had a bad year.

My pick hasn't been mentioned yet and that's Spencer Johnson. I really think he was overshadowed in Minnesota playing behind two pro-bowlers and I expect big things from here this year! :)

Are you a Dolphins fan in disguise or something?

No. Why do you ask? Those guys seem to get lost in the mix with all the bigger name FA signings and shiny new rookie class. Thus the element of surprise. I think at least one of them might come through for us this year.

Bowen, Johnson, and Fine will be contributors anyway, but as a surprise?

Fred Jackson, I don't think he'll do as well, since he will have a target on his back now.

For good? I'm going to go with Kyle Williams. I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder going from first string to rotational, and he'll become a TFL machine.

I was thinking about this the other day.....I actually hope that Fred will make another jump in production to keep himself on top because I think this Omon kid might have the tools.

He's really in a good situation as the 4th DE. He has some time to develop into a complete player, but in the meantime can pin his ears back in pass-rushing situations and use his athleticism on special teams. It sounds like V Tech runs a similar defense to the Bills and he has 30 plus starts in that system.
I beg to differ. I think the biggest surprise player in 2008 is going to be Roscoe Parrish. With Evans and Hardy drawing the attention of the starting corners and safeties Roscoe will line up against nickel/dimebacks and will be able to tack on some YAC with his speed

Really good points from both of you.

I'm on the Freddy Jackson bandwagon. The split in carries should be about 65-35, keeping Lynch fresh and letting him do what he does best, keeping his legs churning, and pounding away on the defense. Freddy has alot to offer this offense if we're willing to give him a shot. He's quick, and he runs with a chip on his shoulder. We shouldn't be afraid to acknowledge there might be two good backs on this team.

Whoever said Spencer Johnson, thats another good one. Getting 3.5 sacks playing behind two of the best in the league at his position is impressive, and he should see more snaps here. It would be great to have a good penetrating DT, as something tells me Stroud will be great against the run, but may not be the pass rusher he once was. There's room for an explosive pass rushing tackle.

No. Why do you ask? Those guys seem to get lost in the mix with all the bigger name FA signings and shiny new rookie class. Thus the element of surprise. I think at least one of them might come through for us this year.

Will Allen plays for Miami.

I'll be surprized IF Josh Reed makes the final roster. He represents no threat at all and is freely given his 30 catches a year while the opposition takes away Evans & Parrish. Yes, he's a great guy. I've been hearing this for the last 3 years. No one ever argues that he's no threat, we just haven't had any other WR on the team. Finally, it appears we have real talent aboard, which should spell the end for this 'high character' guy.

Seeing familiar faces released in preseason is probably the truest measure that a team is improving.

I'll be surprized IF Josh Reed makes the final roster. He represents no threat at all and is freely given his 30 catches a year while the opposition takes away Evans & Parrish. Yes, he's a great guy. I've been hearing this for the last 3 years. No one ever argues that he's no threat, we just haven't had any other WR on the team. Finally, it appears we have real talent aboard, which should spell the end for this 'high character' guy.

Seeing familiar faces released in preseason is probably the truest measure that a team is improving.

Strongly disagree. The fact that he does get these catches as the 3rd or 4th option should tell you something; he knows how to get open. Used properly, Reed is extremely valuable, and he's the best blocking WR on the roster. Now that there will (hopefully) be a legitimate #2 across from Evans, Reed and Parrish should both enjoy more open spaces and even higher production.

Reed is talented, make no mistake.

DT John McCargo. He'll benefit from our front seven, especially because of Marcus Stroud's presence. Having ample time to heal his foot completely will also be another factor in his production.

We now have a defense that will be coming from every angle. Every position will be intertwined with each other. The pressure up front on passing downs will make our secondary highly effective. Our LBs and increasing our beef in the middle of our defense will slow down an opposing offense's running game also.

If the national public doesn't realize how immensely improved our defense is going to be than oh well but shame on the Buffalo fan who stays pessimistic because of our past failures. It's time to stop being afraid of success. We have the STs to always keep us in great field position and an offense that will not only be effective but also capable of being highly dangerous. Injuries is our biggest foe, especially concerning our QBs. I implore you not to make what I'm saying ugly. We are going to be highly successful barring major injuries. Are we going to unbeatable or a dynasty? No, that's not what I'm implying. We have a very favorable schedule, many players returning from season ending injuries and valuable playing time for young back ups and players new to their positions. We also have our coaching staff that has mostly stayed intact and have continuity with each other.

Our WRs/TEs are now going to be a stronger part of our team and as the season progresses they will be meshing even better. The new additions, Hardy and Fine, will definitely be adjusting to a huge learning curve but they are surrounded by veterans who will not only accelerate this learning curve for them but also will be able to cover for them so that the team is dependent on these two. These two are only looked at as compliments, not our focal point on offense.

I'm really impressed with the way that Trent Edwards throws the short and intermediate passes. This kid has a great touch. His decision making will be drasticly improved and Evans will have a great year with HUGE catches for massive gains. I'm not kidding or being delusional about that. I'm not saying that we are going to be airing it out all the time but when you have a defense on it's heels than it's alot easier to make big plays. We are going to be playing alot of football this year with a lead.

Lynch and Jackson is a potent one-two punch for our run game and any other RB on our roster who contributes will be an added bonus for us. Our offensive line will be roadgrading teams. I expect Brad Butler to be more than adequate and Fowler will be serviceable.

The days of a dynasty in this league has been gone for quite some time now. Franchises/teams go in waves for success. It's our time now. We have been building this foundation for the last few years and now it's time to reap some of the dividends this year.

I am on just about the same exact page as you, except I am a bit concerned about all of the losses that we have suffered on our special teams unit. Those guys were staples for years (Stamer, Haggan...etc), and their efficiency in playing the field position game through solid coverage kept us in games that sometimes we had no business being in...plugging youngsters in that have athleticism without experience scares me a bit; but then again, that's why they gave Mr. April a raise and the Associate's title, so here's to the Bills kickin a** this year in every phase!

Go Bills.

JP. I predict some time this season JP will play and play well- and this board will continue to boo and hate him

I just hope he'll be as awesome as he was last season!!!! dropo it dude, he is just a newer version of Rob Johnson

Josh reed is a good reciever. Hes a great blocker and can get the tough catches over the middle. Reed was a RB when he first went to LSU? Hes a good player and he will be on the roster this season