who tinkled in Jerry's cornflakes this a.m. J.P.?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever. The crusade is getting tired, I must say. The offense wasn't historically bad because of Jauron. It sucked under Mularkey, and it sucked for two out thre three years Williams was here. Anyway, I suggesting sticking to the topic at hand -- Losman -- and not blaming Jauron for his performance (an utterly unverifiable charge in any event). Do you honestly think JP's been hamstrung by the coaching? From my perch, I saw him perform poorly in the last few outings he played in (sans the Cincy game), and it's not as if he didn't have the opportunity to make plays. I like JP and am not unhappy that he's our backup, but he's not a very good NFL QB. He may be one day, but he ain't now. When's the last time you saw a positive comment about JP from a member of *any* other team in the league?

Not giving your 4th year QB coming of a pretty good year an audible system is pretty limiting IMO. You can't say the coaches didnt think he could learn it, he lives in Bufffalo and no one has ever questioned his work ethic. Me thinks he could pick it up

See, to me, if i was running a team that had questions at the QB position, i'd trade a late 3rd or a 4th for Grossman with the notion that he could compete for the starting job. Sure the guy has been a turnover machine, but in the right offense, i think he could do fairly well. Then again, he may just stink it up some more. However, i would not trade for him without some minimal re-working on the deal and a minimum extension. For Grossman, i would most likely set up a 2 year deal with a large roster bonus after year 1. That way, after 1 year, you cut him with minimal losses if he's bad, or if he turns out to be good, he's fairly compnested in yr 2 and you can hammer out a long term deal.

As for JP, oi agree with you that he's going to want to start wherever he goes, and that, combined with the fcat he's got 1 year left on his deal, makes him untradeable. If he had 2-3 years left on the deal, he's be somewhere else right now. Mostly, i was arguing that JP's situation is what makes him untradeable, NOT his talent and ability. There are too many knumbskulls on here that cannot grasp this seemingly simple concept.

You make fun of my posts & then you post garbage like this? Your willing to throw low to mid round draft pick after draft pick for guys that have proven they can not succeed on an individual level in the NFL. Crap like you suggest sets franchises back for years. Glad your not the GM of the Bills.

BTW, your logic on not trading for a guy that has 1yr left on his contract makes no sense. Best case scenerio, if a team traded for Losman & by some miracle he lit the league up that team could place the franchise or transition tag on him. You still have not explained why they just could not tag him. It makes absolutely no sense that Losman did not get moved because of his contract situation. It does not surprise me though. Afterall, you think qbs should have 7yrs to prove themselves in the NFL.

You make fun of my posts & then you post garbage like this? Your willing to throw low to mid round draft pick after draft pick for guys that have proven they can not succeed on an individual level in the NFL. Crap like you suggest sets franchises back for years. Glad your not the GM of the Bills.

BTW, your logic on not trading for a guy that has 1yr left on his contract makes no sense. Best case scenerio, if a team traded for Losman & by some miracle he lit the league up that team could place the franchise or transition tag on him. You still have not explained why they just could not tag him. It makes absolutely no sense that Losman did not get moved because of his contract situation. It does not surprise me though. Afterall, you think qbs should have 7yrs to prove themselves in the NFL.

Yeah, right. You know how much a tag is for a QB? About 11 million a season. Next year probably 12-13. What if he played like they would expect him to play if they traded a #2 pick for him (read: Pretty good, maybe quite good) They're going to tag him for one year at 13 million?

Yeah, right. You know how much a tag is for a QB? About 11 million a season. Next year probably 12-13. What if he played like they would expect him to play if they traded a #2 pick for him (read: Pretty good, maybe quite good) They're going to tag him for one year at 13 million?

No, then you transition him & you could match the contract that the market dictates for him. But you guys just keep making excuses why the rest of the league does not want him.

Whatever. The crusade is getting tired, I must say. The offense wasn't historically bad because of Jauron. It sucked under Mularkey, and it sucked for two out thre three years Williams was here. Anyway, I suggesting sticking to the topic at hand -- Losman -- and not blaming Jauron for his performance (an utterly unverifiable charge in any event). Do you honestly think JP's been hamstrung by the coaching? From my perch, I saw him perform poorly in the last few outings he played in (sans the Cincy game), and it's not as if he didn't have the opportunity to make plays. I like JP and am not unhappy that he's our backup, but he's not a very good NFL QB. He may be one day, but he ain't now. When's the last time you saw a positive comment about JP from a member of *any* other team in the league?

...and the daily Losman bashing crusades aren't tired???? Only the Losman haters are allowed crusades???? C'mon already. I reserve the right to argue my points on this subject because it is my belief that no NFL quarterback would be successful with that appalling and putrid offensive system Jauron trotted out last season. Not Brady, not Manning, not Favre. As long as there are fans dumping on Losman's 2007 season there will be me dumping on Jauron's inability to put a professional gameplan together. Losman was right, to paraphrase...his gameplans sucked. If I were Edwards, I tell him to either open it up or get ready for another disgruntled and vocal QB. There's only so much blame a QB can take for that level of coaching incompetence.

No, then you transition him & you could match the contract that the market dictates for him. But you guys just keep making excuses why the rest of the league does not want him.

Well, apparently, you think Jauron, Modrak, Brandon and Wilson are complete morons and/or bold faced liars. Because they seem to want him. If no one wanted him in the entire league, like you suggest, and these guys have watched him up close and know it better than the rest of the league, why hasn't he just been cut and replaced by Cleo Lemon or Daunte Culpepper or Tim Rattay, etc.? It's not like they owe him anything, or he costs a lot of money.

Making excuses is what the Jauron lovers do best. I never heard so many excuses for why this NFL head coach is such a loser. If Edwards starts looking bad in 2008 because of the p*ssy offensive gameplanning like there was in 2007 then Bills fans who hated on Losman may finally come to realize it wasn't his or Edwards fault after all. The book on Losman hasn't been written yet, Jauron's is pretty much cast in iron now.

Um, where was this outcry in 2006? Didn't we have the EXACT same regime in place? Have you asked yourself WHAT was the driving force BEHIND the more conservative approach in '07? I'll give you the first clue: it had MORE to do with the decimating injuries on defense than ANY other factor. But that's just one reason. I'll leave it to you to figure out the rest. Hint: it ain't about Jauron as much as you'd like to think.

GO BILLS!!!

I really don't think it was as bad of an article as some are making out to be. I like Losman but the way he called out coaches and made comments about Ralph being the benching was bush league. Again, he is a good guy and I'm sure quite frustrated, but you don't do that. You take responsiblity for your own play.

And for as much as we said that it's good to have JP as a backup, I have little doubts he wasn't on the block. Even if Edwards gets hurt, has Losman, Bledsoe, Flutie, Johnson, Collins ever show he could put more than a couple of good starts together? Fact is, no one offered anything of value. So Sullivan is right that it doesn't serve Edwards any good having JP as a backup. Because they were always be those brain-dead people who are willing to give up on a 2nd year player for a 5th year one (with mostly average to below average play) the moment TE struggles.

Corrected above

The fact is, that it never has been about the quarterback. Sullivan is just PLAIN LAZY and unable to fufill the requirements of his job. He comes off as a blithering idiot in his columns, and the times I heard him on the radio before I moved. The only reason he has a job as all is that his ignorant spew gets people POed. I wonder how much extra work he makes for the editors before the paper comes out.

Um, where was this outcry in 2006? Didn't we have the EXACT same regime in place? Have you asked yourself WHAT was the driving force BEHIND the more conservative approach in '07? I'll give you the first clue: it had MORE to do with the decimating injuries on defense than ANY other factor. But that's just one reason. I'll leave it to you to figure out the rest. Hint: it ain't about Jauron as much as you'd like to think.

GO BILLS!!!

Injuries...

They lost a starting DE for 11 games, replaced by another DE they signed to a fat contract. They lost a serviceable pedestrian LB who wasn't going to be on anyone's All-Pro list, for 10 games, and a 2nd round rookie who showed better than his camp competition at the LB spot. And would have gotten an education about playing in the NFL had he not been injured. A RB for 3 games. An intact OL save 1 and one half games missed by the LT.

Most clubs would be very happy with so few losses to the starting 22.

Injuries...

They lost a starting DE for 11 games, replaced by another DE they signed to a fat contract. They lost a serviceable pedestrian LB who wasn't going to be on anyone's All-Pro list, for 10 games, and a 2nd round rookie who showed better than his camp competition at the LB spot. And would have gotten an education about playing in the NFL had he not been injured. A RB for 3 games. An intact OL save 1 and one half games missed by the LT.

Most clubs would be very happy with so few losses to the starting 22.

Most is the key word- this group makes boston Red Sox fans look cheerful

I think this is absolutely part of the equation. And it doesn't matter how much time has passed. A guy like Sullivan, if he feels he's been slighted, will always stick the knife in. Like an elephant, he never forgets, but he also won't let an opportunity pass. That's why it's almost impossible to beat a journalist who has a soapbox like Sullivan's. He commands a space in the paper for whatever axes he choose to grind, and if someone who crossed him like JP ever becomes vulnerable (as JP's play and his getting benched have made him), he his dead meat.

What's the old adage about picking a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel?

If you guys want a shot at Jerry he plays for a wednesday night softball team for Malones..I have played against him a few times..He is a wiseass....I had a few shots at him he catches.. :wallbash:

Never, ever would have guessed. :wallbash:

Sullivan is exactly that type. Someone needs to bitchslap that ignorant POS.

Jerry is the Buffalo News' equivalant to Chuck Dickerson.

Can we trade Jerry Sullivan for an UDFA or does no other city want him?

From the archives...

Pocket change will pay off in long run

I gave up long ago trying to figure out the machinations of Tom Donahoe and the Bills' PR department. But it was a curious maneuver, even by their standards, to announce Drew Bledsoe's release at the very moment when Gary Bettman was canceling the NHL season.

What were they doing, trying to hide behind the hockey cataclysm? Was Donahoe, who didn't intend to take questions until the media demanded it, embarrassed to cut Bledsoe? Did he think it would soften the blow if it wasn't the top story?

Guys, this was good news. Sure, there are some bummed Bledsoe fans out there, but many Bills fans are celebrating his release. Yeah, Bledsoe is a decent guy, a class act who pleaded with reporters to print his comments about loyal Buffalo fans.

But it's time for J.P. Losman to take over. The Bills should be applauded for taking a bold, necessary step. I felt Donahoe would try to squeeze one more year out of Bledsoe, to prove he was right to bring him here all along. But in the end, Donahoe acted in the long-term interests of the franchise.

...and the daily Losman bashing crusades aren't tired???? Only the Losman haters are allowed crusades???? C'mon already. I reserve the right to argue my points on this subject because it is my belief that no NFL quarterback would be successful with that appalling and putrid offensive system Jauron trotted out last season. Not Brady, not Manning, not Favre. As long as there are fans dumping on Losman's 2007 season there will be me dumping on Jauron's inability to put a professional gameplan together. Losman was right, to paraphrase...his gameplans sucked. If I were Edwards, I tell him to either open it up or get ready for another disgruntled and vocal QB. There's only so much blame a QB can take for that level of coaching incompetence.

The thing is, my post is directed at things you said about Jauron. I'm not a JP basher, and think he's a pretty good backup to have on a team. I try to be as realistic as I can in my assessment, and I don't think I come across as a basher (as you do with Jauron). He's certainly got some upside--good mobility, really good arm. His accuracy is OK -- not great, certainly not bad. But he has struggled with running a real offense, makes too many poor decisions (except against Cincy), and diagnoses both plays and defenses too slowly. That's obviously an important skill -- otherwise, Jeff Garcia and Rich Gannon before him wouldn't be leading teams to the playoffs every other year or so. Anyway, don't conflate me with other people.

Guest dog14787
http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/336249.html

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/jerrysullivan/story/336249.html

i knew Sully didn't like JP but what brought this on?

i apologize if link does not work. i never have used this feature before. article is on TBD main page

I think anyone who summarizes all the known facts, such as coaching changes, bad coaching in general, poor supporting cast because you are rebuilding a team from the ground up, no big TE security blanket just to name a few, should realize JP Losman's potential is just as much a mystery now as when he entered the NFL. His potential is unknown, untaped, we have only seen glimpes of his athletic ability. In an offense resembling the Dallas Cowboys for instance, in my opinion JP Losman would flourish.

With Hardy and Evans both as deep threats, hmmm, resembles the Andre Reed ,James Lofton combo, and thats one thing Losman has, his long ball is a thing of beauty. Even the nastiest JP bashers must aggree on that one.

Only a few QB"s in the league could make the scramble Eli Manning did( awesome stuff) in the superbowl and get the ball off and on target, JP Losman is one of them.

That article was so ignorant that even the people who hate Losman have to change their mind just so they don't find themselves agreeing with that moron.

No. I think Jerry is spot on... Why the phuck is JP still here? Because nobody wants him.

But it hasn’t happened, and I suspect there’s one main reason: No one wanted him, not enough to give up anything of consequence. The Bills keep saying they don’t intend to deal him. The more they say it, the more evident it becomes that they’re worried people will think they’re desperate to get rid of him.