Glad we aren't Cinncy

Fingon

We have defended, and will continue to defend, the Cincinnati Bengals for their stance regarding receiver Chad Johnson’s desire to be traded.

We do so because the best way to keep other players from trying to pull the same routine in the future is to not cave in to Chad now.

Another prudent strategy to achieve the same end, however, would be to refrain from bringing in more players who might be inclined to misbehave in the future. In this regard, we can’t support the Bengals’ tactics.

As a league source opined with respect to several of the team’s 2008 draft picks, the Bengals “are up to their old tricks.”

The most glaring selection was Jason Shirley, a defensive tackle from Fresno State.

Shirley was ultimately kicked off the team in 2007 after a series of incidents, including a suspension for conduct detrimental to the team and a suspension for a DUI arrest. The last straw was an arrest for driving with a suspended license.

The source said that Shirley was off most teams’ draft boards.

Per the source, teams also had concerns about Auburn defensive tackle Pat Sims and Kansas offensive tackle Anthony Collins. A Google search revealed that neither player has had any trouble with the law, however.

It has been explained to us in the past that the Bengals will take a player like Shirley not because the team doesn’t know about his off-field troubles but because the team’s lack of a full-blown scouting department makes the Bengals more likely to pick a player who had the talent to otherwise be drafted much earlier.

Put simply, the Bengals will be more inclined to take the player who generally is regarded as highly talented later in the draft because they lack confidence in their ability to pick a guy who isn’t generally recognized as having the physical talent to play in the NFL.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Haven't made the playoffs since 1999

We aren't the Bengals...yet

We are building a team that has a very good chance at going to the playoffs next near, unlike the bengals. I guess it's time for them to pony up and spend money on scouts.

About a week or so, while discussing the prospect of the Bengals trading Chad Johnson, one of the talking heads (I believe it was Mortenson, but I have listened to way too many people the last two weeks) on ESPN radio said that Mike Brown (team president/GM) actually told him that he felt like having a certain amount of controversy surrounding the team was "a good thing". It almost sounds like Brown has some secret fantasy about recreating his sorry franchise into a model of the outlaw Raiders of the 1970's.

I feel sorry for Bengals fans, because they are good fans. They seemed on the verge of turning the page on their inept past a few years ago, but are returning to form. For all the crap about what a jerk Chad Johnson is, the core argument he has with the franchise is a valid one. He sees himself as a very talented player, stuck with a franchise that will never make the moves to be a real contender. It is the same thing that prompted Takeo Spikes to B word his way off the team...we like him though....

When you think about it, the Bills and Bengals have more in common than they have differences. Two long standing AFC teams that have had really long rough stretches, strung together by flashes of greatness. And, to top it off, thanks to Tom Donohoe, they both have what have to be considered amongst the most hideous uniforms in the leauge...

The one big differenc is (and why I am glad I was born a Bills fan, rather than a Bengals fan) when the Bills screw up, there is generally sound decision making behind their mistakes. Both owners are not known for being very free spenders, but the Bengals take this to the ultmate depths...

i loled when they picked another linebacker.

first, because they stole the guy NE wanted (we'll talk about trading down later)

and second because they seem to pick one in the first couple rounds every year. more so than we pick DBs

Rivers does not fit the Patriots version of the 3-4.

We have defended, and will continue to defend, the Cincinnati Bengals for their stance regarding receiver Chad Johnson’s desire to be traded.

We do so because the best way to keep other players from trying to pull the same routine in the future is to not cave in to Chad now.

Another prudent strategy to achieve the same end, however, would be to refrain from bringing in more players who might be inclined to misbehave in the future. In this regard, we can’t support the Bengals’ tactics.

As a league source opined with respect to several of the team’s 2008 draft picks, the Bengals “are up to their old tricks.”

The most glaring selection was Jason Shirley, a defensive tackle from Fresno State.

Shirley was ultimately kicked off the team in 2007 after a series of incidents, including a suspension for conduct detrimental to the team and a suspension for a DUI arrest. The last straw was an arrest for driving with a suspended license.

The source said that Shirley was off most teams’ draft boards.

Per the source, teams also had concerns about Auburn defensive tackle Pat Sims and Kansas offensive tackle Anthony Collins. A Google search revealed that neither player has had any trouble with the law, however.

It has been explained to us in the past that the Bengals will take a player like Shirley not because the team doesn’t know about his off-field troubles but because the team’s lack of a full-blown scouting department makes the Bengals more likely to pick a player who had the talent to otherwise be drafted much earlier.

Put simply, the Bengals will be more inclined to take the player who generally is regarded as highly talented later in the draft because they lack confidence in their ability to pick a guy who isn’t generally recognized as having the physical talent to play in the NFL.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

a) The Bengals have made the playoffs in the last 8 years. The Bills haven't.

b) The best way to judge a draft is to wait four or five years, not the day of the second round. And particularly if you've never seen more than one or two of the guys drafted play in more than a bowl game.

i loled when they picked another linebacker.

first, because they stole the guy NE wanted (we'll talk about trading down later)

and second because they seem to pick one in the first couple rounds every year. more so than we pick DBs

Do you honestly think the Pats didnt know Cincy would pick Rivers? They have no LBers. You've got to be an idiot wrapped in a moron to not see Cincy going with Rivers.

Rivers does not fit the Patriots version of the 3-4.

bull sh--. the pats* tried to be cute by trading down and getting an extra pick, and ended up getting their dick caught in the zipper when cincy took Rivers. I'm not saying Mayo wont be good, because i liked the kid and i think he'll end up doing well. but dont for a minute pretend that missing rivers was all part of their* plan.

We are building a team that has a very good chance at going to the playoffs next near, unlike the bengals. I guess it's time for them to pony up and spend money on scouts.

And people on this board think Ralph is cheap? Yesh. I know their a small market team but man, not having a scouting department might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.