3rd Round Selection: Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech

Overall: Ellis was redshirted in 2003. In his next three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 38 games (21 starts) and registered 112 tackles (27 for losses) and 13.5 sacks. As a senior in 2007, he started all 14 games and posted 53 tackles (nine for losses), 8.5 sacks, a forced fumble, an interception (which he returned five yards for a touchdown) and five pass breakups. Ellis sat out 2007 spring drills after having surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. He had the same surgery in October of his redshirt freshman year ('03). He also suffered a right shoulder sprain in 2006 but played through the injury. In 2006, he was arrested for disorderly conduct and obstruction of justice. Ellis' injury history and problems anchoring against the run make him a fringe first day pick but he's got the frame to add some weight and get stronger ... For complete overview, strengths and weaknesses, login above or become an Insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/...er%3fid%3d12307

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOVE IT! Hardy and Ellis make up for the McKelvin disaster.

Are you trying to embarrass yourself as much as possible over this weekend? Because you are doing a hell of a good job acting like a 14 year old girl.

Apparently he has a "low motor" and is a durability issue with a wrist problem or something.

Sure as hell didn't show it in what I've seen with him, I agree with the pick.

Mel just said he played well after the shoulder injury in 06. He should be part of a rotation and helps the pass rush. This kid should have asome impact right away in the rotation.

Lets get our center!!!

Mel just said he played well after the shoulder injury in 06. He should be part of a rotation and helps the pass rush. This kid should have asome impact right away in the rotation.

Lets get our center!!!

Knew it was something upper body, thanks for the clear up :censored:

Lets get our center!!!

Looks like a solid pick that should help the pass rush.

Round 4 will be TE and Center.

I am liking this draft so far.

No - I'm not going to insult you. Just because you don't agree with a pick does not make it a disaster. The guy is a top rated player. Not your favorite but certainly not a disaster.

Good--thank you. I tend to exaggerate. You're right, it's not a disaster--especially if we fill our needs with real value the rest of the way. When people respond rationally, I will show immense respect from here on. When they insult, I go to the other extreme. Do you like this pick??

I like the pick, he fits and need and has some talent. We need to coach this kid up and get his effort level to be more consistent but everyone at this stage has some flaws. Seemed like a good value pick.

Good--thank you. I tend to exaggerate. You're right, it's not a disaster--especially if we fill our needs with real value the rest of the way. When people respond rationally, I will show immense respect from here on. When they insult, I go to the other extreme. Do you like this pick??

Honestly, after the 1st 2 rounds I don't know the players. I don't follow college like I used to. I do know that the positions I wanted targeted were WR, CB, DE and LB. I really wanted Rivers but he was gone.

I dunno, i just feel that a 3rd round pick is kinda high for a guy who's not even going to play the majority of snaps when we threw so much money at Schobel and Kelsay. Granted, in the tampa 2 you need a good rotation but still. i would think your rds. 1-3 would be your potential starters. But on the other hand, I'll be happy if he makes an impact and helps the team. He could be great on special teams.

From NFL.com:

"Ellis is an inconsistent player, who looked great at times. He lacks discipline and had untimely penalties in college, but he has ability and good size. He had 22 sacks and 36 tackles for loss in college and is fast enough to play on special teams."

Doesn't sound like a good choice to me.

I dunno, i just feel that a 3rd round pick is kinda high for a guy who's not even going to play the majority of snaps when we threw so much money at Schobel and Kelsay. Granted, in the tampa 2 you need a good rotation but still. i would think your rds. 1-3 would be your potential starters. But on the other hand, I'll be happy if he makes an impact and helps the team. He could be great on special teams.

Regardless of how much money they make, if they continue to fail to produce a pass rush, competition must be brought in. We can't just continue with an anemic pass rush because we gave these guys decent contracts.

Are you trying to embarrass yourself as much as possible over this weekend? Because you are doing a hell of a good job acting like a 14 year old girl.

I don't recall posting specifically to you. Why you feel the need to respond to me, I don't know.

But I do have a suggestion for you--take a few valium and dive into the deep end of the pool.