Can Someone Explain the Logic in reaching for a WR

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When we have a coach that loves to win with the run game and tough D......

Maybe drafting Lynch last year while upgrading our line and signing 2 defensive lineman and a linebacker as well as a corner in FA already. We also signed two TE's. Looks like WR is the only position not adressed yet and is arguably our biggest need. But it would be crazy to draft one at 11 right?

Does it matter if that player is exactly what you need and helps you win games? Tell me the last time they gave a Vince Lombardi trophy for draft score!

PTR

The key isn't "wanting to win" I think its about actually winning. We gotta get a credible passing game to do that. You might "want to win" with a ballerina, a duck and truman capote. You're gonna actually do it with a running game a passing game and a very tough defense.

Our run game for said coach would be dramatically improved if the threat to occasionally pass existed. In addition, it's not a reach unless you view it to be so. If we beat three of the teams we lost to, would that make it a non-reach? At the end of the day, let them draft who they want, and if they're wrong we'll find out in 5 years or so.

Maybe drafting Lynch last year while upgrading our line and signing 2 defensive lineman and a linebacker as well as a corner in FA already. We also signed two TE's. Looks like WR is the only position not adressed yet and is arguably our biggest need. But it would be crazy to draft one at 11 right?

Not crazy, but questionable. Similar to Whitner a couple years ago, a team opens itself up for criticism if they 'reach' for a player expected to be on the board later. I am sure that the Bills are exploring every possibility for a trade...up or down. They may pick a WR at 11. If he turns out to have modest impact on the team criticism will come. If he is hugely successful nobody will remember that he was a 'reach'. God willing he will become a steal.

I understand need, really I do, but I will be disappointed if we choose a WR with the 11th pick. Consensus is that there are no WRs rated that high as compared to the competition from other positions.

What does this draft have in terms of top quality? O-line & D-line (I would say). Neither is a glaring need for this team, but I would rather draft a lineman (O) at 11.

I'm predicting two WR's drafted or 1 WR and 1 TE by the Bills this draft, but hopefully none at #11. If anyone thinks Trent is going to become anything remotely close to a franchise QB with the three viable receivers currently on our roster (Evans, Parrish, Reed) the numbers put up last year say "no way".

because everyone knows that he loves to win with the run game. cant leave yourself one dimensional.

putting some threats out there will open up that run game, even if the WR we draft doesnt put up big numbers for himself, he could very easily open up our running game.

this is the beef i have with the "WRs dont make an impact their rookie year" argument.

we dont need someone to come in and put up huge numbers. he just needs to be a threat that will take some heat off of Lee and Lynch.

and if they dont want to cover him, throw the ball at him.

Does it matter if that player is exactly what you need and helps you win games? Tell me the last time they gave a Vince Lombardi trophy for draft score!

PTR

No, it does not matter and thank you for asking. I am sure OBD has identified the WR that we want. A trade down only makes sense if (1) we have a partner and (2) we can still get the identified WR at that spot. If we have identified 2 or 3 WRs and either one will do, then fine trade down and grap who ever is left. Otherwise take your choosen WR at 11 and be done with it. The ONE thing we cannot do is come away from this draft without our preferred WR.

No, it does not matter and thank you for asking. I am sure OBD has identified the WR that we want. A trade down only makes sense if (1) we have a partner and (2) we can still get the identified WR at that spot. If we have identified 2 or 3 WRs and either one will do, then fine trade down and grap who ever is left. Otherwise take your choosen WR at 11 and be done with it. The ONE thing we cannot do is come away from this draft without our preferred WR.

Exactly. There is no reason to not get the top wideout in this draft. If people really think we can trade down to 19 and still get a WR your dreaming. The bears, carolina, now the Vikes and maybe even the iggles after they trade up with us could draft one. Then we are looking at the leftovers and we are ;) ed for another year.

No thanks get the player you want and move on. Is that extra third really gonna help us much? really?

i dont have a problem with staying at 11 and getting first pick of the WRs.

id actually enjoy watching Kiper cry "REACH!" to try to heal his bruised ego.

I don't care about Kipper, I just love watching this board crash and everyone screaming and crying about how the Bills are inept and they are done with them because it was the wrong move, a reach, or they could have easily traded back and got exactly what they wanted (and if not, who cares they could have just taken someone else)

But a productive passing game help any run game.............I think if we can put fear into a defense with WR's that can beat anyone downfield or whatever, that opens the run game. Plus its the NFL and you need to establish a passing game in order to win anymore. And to be honest Buffalo dont have much of one, and those redzone #'s from last year were dreadfull. If they can improve on that and the overall passing game, I think Marshawn Lynch is a pro bowler.

run game won't be worth crap if opposing D's know we suck at the pass and stack the box to stop the run. AND Dick has ackowledge his strong desire for a #2 WR threat who is a tall red zone target.

the later in the draft you take a WR the less of a rookie impact he likely will make.

Because as cool as it looks to have Marshawn Lynch trucking 3 guys at a time for 5 yards......it is not conducive to a long running back career.

We need to make this offense less predictable and get that last defender out of the box.

PS Let me say that I am NOT for drafting a WR at 11......I am really hoping for a trade down. I do whatever must be done to make that swap of picks and Lito Sheapard happen...even if it means throwing in a 5th or 6th rounder as well.....

Because as cool as it looks to have Marshawn Lynch trucking 3 guys at a time for 5 yards......it is not conducive to a long running back career.

We need to make this offense less predictable and get that last defender out of the box.

PS Let me say that I am NOT for drafting a WR at 11......I am really hoping for a trade down. I do whatever must be done to make that swap of picks and Lito Sheapard happen...even if it means throwing in a 5th or 6th rounder as well.....

BINGO !! And wouldn't two first half drives with 14 points on the board (rather than 6) look awfully nice..... and put some heat on the other teams. The miserable REDZONE offense must be improved via WR or TE.....or both.... though there is more than one round in this draft, so we should all take a deep breath if they go a different direction in round 1.