Draft Clock

Now 10 minutes between 1st rounders, and 7 between each 2nd rounder. Should, without question, make the draft more enjoyable to watch than it already is, if possible!

How do people think this is going to effect our draft, logistically? I think it's a valid concern with Brandon entering his 1st draft; also considering the Bills have had a good amount of draft-day activity in the past, other than just straight ahead draft picks.

Peterson from the Chiefs seems to think a little more pre-draft preperation is all that is needed. I believe that it may require more than just doing more homework...less time to pull the trigger, with many variables going on around the pick may require more phone lines installed in, more employees on the phone swingin deals that may not be used to doing that...etc? The same amount of dealmaking, and research needs to be done in 1/3 less the time. Is our entire brain trust going to be in the same room; web conference, conference calls...etc?

I think its a pretty major groundrule change to the whole process. Should be interesting to see who handles the time restrictions best, and then it'll be interesting to read the post draft analysis on what did or didn't happen, and if those deals that didnt come to fruition can be blamed on the time change?

King's MMQB is what mentioned it and got me thinking:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

GO BILLS!

It shouldnt affect anyone. If any of the teams really need 15 whole minutes to decide on a pick that early in the draft, then they're pretty much fuct. Most teams get on the clock, and then sit on their thumb for 15 minutes waiting for someone to blow them away with a trade offer.

I would hope that the Bills have their top 11 players identified by now.

It shouldnt affect anyone. If any of the teams really need 15 whole minutes to decide on a pick that early in the draft, then they're pretty much fuct. Most teams get on the clock, and then sit on their thumb for 15 minutes waiting for someone to blow them away with a trade offer.

I would hope that the Bills have their top 11 players identified by now.

I don't think that's the problem, trades could be though. Not much time for banter back & forth. For a team making their own pick (aside from Minny) 10 minutes won't be an issue.

I think the time reduction is dumb...and pandering to Hot Pocket fans.

What would your answer be to this question?:..."Make a multi-million dollar decision now, that also will affect a lot of other things in your business. Would you like 10 minutes or 15 minutes to decide?".

:thumbsup:

I think the time reduction is dumb...and pandering to Hot Pocket fans.

What would your answer be to this question?:..."Make a multi-million dollar decision now, that also will affect a lot of other things in your business. Would you like 10 minutes or 15 minutes to decide?".

:thumbsup:

I hear ya, Cincy, but it's not as if they're being asked to make the multi-million dollar decision on a moment's notice. They've had two and a half months (sometimes longer) to prepare for this event and it really should come down to picking names off a list. If it's not, then you've got bad businessmen running things.

I hear ya, Cincy, but it's not as if they're being asked to make the multi-million dollar decision on a moment's notice. They've had two and a half months (sometimes longer) to prepare for this event and it really should come down to picking names off a list. If it's not, then you've got bad businessmen running things.

Couldn't agree more. I would think the draft effort would come down to a list of the players you absolutely want and if they get called, the player is crossed off the list. Sounds simplistic, but I'd think that would be the basis for everything done by the FO on draft day.

It's not as if they have 45 minutes to ratify a collective bargaining agreement or anything. :thumbsup:

Now 10 minutes between 1st rounders, and 7 between each 2nd rounder. Should, without question, make the draft more enjoyable to watch than it already is, if possible!

How do people think this is going to effect our draft, logistically? I think it's a valid concern with Brandon entering his 1st draft; also considering the Bills have had a good amount of draft-day activity in the past, other than just straight ahead draft picks.

Peterson from the Chiefs seems to think a little more pre-draft preperation is all that is needed. I believe that it may require more than just doing more homework...less time to pull the trigger, with many variables going on around the pick may require more phone lines installed in, more employees on the phone swingin deals that may not be used to doing that...etc? The same amount of dealmaking, and research needs to be done in 1/3 less the time. Is our entire brain trust going to be in the same room; web conference, conference calls...etc?

I think its a pretty major groundrule change to the whole process. Should be interesting to see who handles the time restrictions best, and then it'll be interesting to read the post draft analysis on what did or didn't happen, and if those deals that didnt come to fruition can be blamed on the time change?

King's MMQB is what mentioned it and got me thinking:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

GO BILLS!

I think Modrak basically handles the draft.

I like the shortened time. I get tired of hearing all the hype, and how certain announcers/analysts go on about a certain team or a certain player. It would be nice if the announcers/analysts would give equal time to each team.

With 10 minutes for the 1st round, is it safe to say that we'll draft our player around 1:50pm or sooner (that's if we don't move down in the draft)? I'll stay and wait until we draft our 1st round, then DVR the rest.

As they say..."The best plans go awry". A team ahead of you makes some goofy trade or pick and threw your good businessman planing into the toilet...

Sorry, but faced with a time-based decision, I want as much time as I can get, and when it's me peeling off cash and knowing how this decision affects (in this case) my future roster makeup, I prefer to not have a third lopped off my decision time...

As they say..."The best plans go awry". A team ahead of you makes some goofy trade or pick and threw your good businessman planing into the toilet...

Sorry, but faced with a time-based decision, I want as much time as I can get, and when it's me peeling off cash and knowing how this decision affects (in this case) my future roster makeup, I prefer to not have a third lopped off my decision time...

We'll just agree to disagree on this one. You're right, even the best plans are fouled up -- why not recognize the organizations able to think on their feet and adapt? It's just like any business. These guys should have contingencies laid out to address the situations you mention. If they've done their homework, it's not a big deal.

(By the way, if I'm a GM I am praying for the team ahead of me to make a goofy pick -- that's one better player I'm able to snag.)

We'll just agree to disagree on this one. You're right, even the best plans are fouled up -- why not recognize the organizations able to think on their feet and adapt? It's just like any business. These guys should have contingencies laid out to address the situations you mention. If they've done their homework, it's not a big deal.

(By the way, if I'm a GM I am praying for the team ahead of me to make a goofy pick -- that's one better player I'm able to snag.)

Agree to disagree.

As ByTor suggests, maybe there will be a Minnie Moment... :wallbash:

I like the shortened time. I get tired of hearing all the hype, and how certain announcers/analysts go on about a certain team or a certain player. It would be nice if the announcers/analysts would give equal time to each team.

They will give the same amount of time as before to certain players, the one they prepared for, and rest will get one line.,

It will have a much greater effect on the less talented front offices - or those that need to get a consensus from 12 people to finalize a decision.

The one thing that it might do is cut back on trade activity, since teams will have less time to negotiate deals when they're on the clock. Otherwise, I don't think it makes a big impact.

I think it would be interesting to give every team one 5 min. extension in order to negotiate a trade. Seems like a good way to keep things moving and at the same time I wouldn't mind waiting the extra 5 min. if a team was actually working on something. I just hate it when they take their full time knowing full well who they are going to pick.

i like this move. teams should have their draft board already set.

last years draft was PAINFUL to get through and took all day.

if anything, the first round should have the SHORTEST time limit since there are more well known players available and everyone should come in knowing who they want.

Team GMs who trust each other will talk before their turns about trades; if the team GMs do not trust each other then nothing will be said until turn comes up.

Result more trades between GMs which trust each other and less between those who don't making more of the same what has occurred previous drafts. More sign and trades are more likely too since there may not be enough time to negotiate fully.

I think it would be interesting to give every team one 5 min. extension in order to negotiate a trade. Seems like a good way to keep things moving and at the same time I wouldn't mind waiting the extra 5 min. if a team was actually working on something. I just hate it when they take their full time knowing full well who they are going to pick.

I like your idea alot. I think that would make a very good comprimise. I personally dont like the shorter picks inbetween rounds, but I dislike moving the third round till day two even more. The NFL has the only draft in professional sports that gets this kind of coverage. It is an event that the harcore fans love and look forward to. I have no idea why they would shorten the whole proceedure because they get the spotlight. It is aired only on sports chanels so its not like it is cutting into Sixty Minutes. To me it just feels like they are trying tp fix something that is not broke.