What was the most painful Buffalo Loss

Super Bowls were a new low for sports fans. I really think we were the better team in Super Bowl XXV but we were out coached. Outside of that the Jacksonville playoff game. We lost at home and it was Kelly's last game. We have been looking for his replacement ever since, Butler left soon after the front office was in shambles and even though Phillips took us to the playoffs the team has never been the same.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SB 25 was the toughest. The replay was on NFL Network yesterday and I still could not watch it. Left the TV for a few hours, came back just to see if the game was still on, and when my TV picture came on, Reich was in his holding stance and Norwood was backing up to get ready for the 47 yarder. I do have to say though, I watched the kick in the bizzarre hope that it would go through this time.

That thing never had a chance - it started right and just stayed there.

My son used to watch that on video, every time Norwood kicked my son would yell OH NO HE MISSED! and then rewind to see if it went thru THIS time...he could do that for hours. He was only 6 when the game was played and didn't see it live, maybe if he had, he'd have believed it.

For me it is the "Music city miracle". Granted the Superbowls were dissapointing but this one really hurt. I was at work watching the game, instead of working, and we score what looks like the game winner. I was so happy. Then we all know what happenned next, we can't cover the kick and we're done. I felt like quitting and going to drown my sorrows. Any others out there?

That's mine too.

All four of the SBs hurt, but (for me) the one that hurt the most was XXVII (the first one against Dallas). I really thought we were a team of destiny that year after The Comeback and cleaning up on the road against the Steelers and Dolphins. The game itself was unwatchable with all of the turnovers, Kelly getting hurt -- and the ridiculous final score. That game was really an embarrassment.

All four of the SBs hurt, but (for me) the one that hurt the most was XXVII (the first one against Dallas). I really thought we were a team of destiny that year after The Comeback and cleaning up on the road against the Steelers and Dolphins. The game itself was unwatchable with all of the turnovers, Kelly getting hurt -- and the ridiculous final score. That game was really an embarrassment.

The worst part of that game was that it opened with a blocked punt and a quick TD for Thurmal....

God, it still hurts!

There are so many, but I don't see how it could be anything but Super Bowl XXV.

The Miracle that wasn't and Ronnie Harmon's drop were devastating (amongst others) but

to this day just as I salivate if I happen to hear the Monday Night Football theme in the summer,

I wince with pain whenever I hear "Wide Right".

My 10 year old nephew is too young to remember most of the games we're talking about.

But he was at the Monday Night game against Dallas last year. He was so depressed afterwards.

And I told him, "Today you have become a true Bills fan." I don't know if it made him feel any

better, but somehow it made me feel better. It was like his right of passage or final initiation

into the Buffalo faithful.

For me it is the "Music city miracle". Granted the Superbowls were dissapointing but this one really hurt. I was at work watching the game, instead of working, and we score what looks like the game winner. I was so happy. Then we all know what happenned next, we can't cover the kick and we're done. I felt like quitting and going to drown my sorrows. Any others out there?

I remember that game was on a Saturday afternoon...I had to work. I was recording the game, to watch it when I got home...all day, I was trying to avoid it altogether, and everyone who worked with me, at the record store (I was the manager) knew not to say anything about the game. I avoided it the whole day...then, as I am walking out of the store, about 6pm in the evening (texas time, 7pm your time!), this, uh, sort of slow guy who worked at the newstand outside the store says, "hey buddy, I am happy for your Bills, they won!" Inside, I was cursing him, because I didn't want to know. Oh well, I thougt, at least they won...I didn't want to let my girlfriend know that I "knew" the Bills won, because she likely would have given me much sh-- about wasting our Saturday night, watching a game that I knew the outcome of...no, I was still going to go through with my playoff plans, make some wings, and since I knew the Bills won, maybe drink a little more during the game.

So, I get home, I am little tired...my girlfriend had some errands to run, but insists she wants to watch the game with me..so, I say, thats' okay, I will sleep for a couple of hours, and we will watch when she gets home...she is a good sport....

So, I wake up, around 9:30, start cooking my wings, cracking open one Newcastle after another....we start watching the game...I am pumped, in my head, already thinking about who the Bills will be facing the next week...that Wade Phillips has brass balls, I think, starting Johnson over Flutie...heres' to Wade! <_<

So, the game ends up being a little closer than I was hoping, but hell, a win is a win...or so I am thinking. So, the fateful play happens...the mugging in Tenessee...my girlfriend is consoling me, as the announcers are trying to make sense of it all...seeing Wades' big chubby face on the screen, saying "no way", and knowing what I know, I turn to my girl, all smug and assure her, "that is not going to count"...regailing her with my awesome football knowledge... She says, "I don't know, it seems like it would be hard for them to change that call"...showing me that she has been absorbing my endless weeks and months of blather about the rules, and the complexities of the awesome NFL relplay system...well, we all know what happened...I never forgave the newsstand guy for that...I hated my life after that...gimmie another Newcastle....of course it was about 1:30am my time, by the time it was over...all my Buffalo bretheren had already had time to live with this latest bitter pill...no one to comiserate with...jus my girlfriend, who, honestly, was probably just glad that we were one week closer to football season being over...

btw- my alltime least favorite Bills loss, was the 1980 playoff loss to the Chargers...the Bills had their first legit good team in my life, but they couldn't ride Joe Ferguson's broken ankle to the next round...I remember being particularly devastated after that one....Super Bowl 25 was rough too, but honestly, there was a little feeling of that "at least we finally made it" to take some of the sting off...plus, the team played great, all and all, and didn't embarass themselves...

I usually march to a diffrerent drummer and my reaction to this thread is no exception. All (that I saw) of these references are to close games. Is it really most painful to be in the hunt until the end and then lose? I would nominate the thumping we took by the patsies at home last year in front of a a national audience as the most painful loss. The smirks on their faces when touchdowns were scored on 4th down plays that would have been no brainer field goals still sting.

I also don't understand why the crowd mentality paradign dictates that we yell the loudest when we are in the lead. Logic would dictate that it is more important for fans try to rally the team when they are in a hole and have to climb out. It's not like we are ameobas and can't use logic instead of knee jerk reaction. During the comeback game against the oilers the crowd led the rally. Today we get behind by a touchdown and the stairways are full.

I like close games and love the ones we win. I HATE to get blown out especially when the crowd is full of mocking opponent fans.

Any old guys like me (48) out there ? The toughest loss for me was in either 1974 or 1975 when we lost to the Dolphins 35-30. They were a great team with Griese and Csonka and we had O.J. and Ferguson. I remeber Bob Chandler scoring in the back of the endzone to give us a 30-21 lead and the Dolphins scored late in the fourth to make it 30-28.

We got the ball back and only had to make one first down to run the clock out and Coach Lou Saban inexplicably calls a pass... that was intercepted.

You know what,LOL it still bothers me, as you can probably tell. The closest feeling I had to this was the Cowboys game last year. But the Dolphins loss was worse !!

I usually march to a diffrerent drummer and my reaction to this thread is no exception. All (that I saw) of these references are to close games. Is it really most painful to be in the hunt until the end and then lose? I would nominate the thumping we took by the patsies at home last year in front of a a national audience as the most painful loss. The smirks on their faces when touchdowns were scored on 4th down plays that would have been no brainer field goals still sting.

I also don't understand why the crowd mentality paradign dictates that we yell the loudest when we are in the lead. Logic would dictate that it is more important for fans try to rally the team when they are in a hole and have to climb out. It's not like we are ameobas and can't use logic instead of knee jerk reaction. During the comeback game against the oilers the crowd led the rally. Today we get behind by a touchdown and the stairways are full.

I like close games and love the ones we win. I HATE to get blown out especially when the crowd is full of mocking opponent fans.

Embarassing does not mean tough. Tough are loses in close games that we lose by a thread. In this case your drummer is marching in the wrong dictionary. Perhaps he only speaks Esperanto?

Lots of disappointing losses but the most painful is wide right.

There we were stuck out in that damn desert. Our days were pretty full but I managed to keep abreast of the NFL playoffs. The Bills were going to the Superbowl!! I was over the moon! On the negative side, I was getting beaten up every night at the command and staff meeting because our mail wasn’t getting pushed up. As the battalion adjutant, unit mail was my responsibility but I could only distribute what I received. The fact that nobody was getting mail forward didn’t seem to matter to the boss and higher HQ didn’t seem very interested. Let me add that I was running a low fever at the time in addition to experiencing a prolonged and rather nasty bout of gastrointestinal distress. After a few days I got tired of hearing about it so I grabbed a GPS and my driver and I loaded up the Hummer with diesel, water, MRE’s and Imodium tablets and headed out on a quest to locate the postal company back in the sprawling log bases. In the back of my mind I was thinking that we may luck out and find the REMFs listening to the Super Bowl on the radio. Long story short, we trekked back to the tap line highway and never found the postal unit. While the Bills were playing the Giants we were bumping up the trail on the way back to the line tired, dusty PO’d and empty handed. I hadn’t slept in two days and my guts hurt something awful but I figured all would be well if the Bills won the big one! My dad was taping the game and he promised to send me a copy. We arrived back at the unit in the early morning and as I pulled up to the command post I spotted one of my buddies (a psychotic Packers fan) walking over to me. I stepped out of the Hummer and puked my guts out. My bud came around, handed me a water bottle and told me the news. “I’m sorry man, we heard that Norwood missed a field goal at the end of game, Giants pulled it out. Did you find our mail?”

Now I gotta tell you brothers and sisters, THAT HURT.

The infamous snatching defeat from the jaw of victory, the Homerun Throw-up of course