Greatest Catch You've Ever Seen By A BILLS Receiver?

Great catch's mentioned so far! Being a kid growing up watching Bob Chandler- we all practiced Bob Chandler sideline catch's. The Roland Hook's catch was incredible. Two great catch's that I think are underrated-

Moulds against Miami for a long TD. It was a one handed grab and then he physically ran over the CB-it was an awesome combination of coordination, agility and sheer power.

Josh Reed-rookie year- made a diving, over both shoulder's catch with the safety zeroing in on him. One of the most courageous catch's I have ever seen. Anyone remember that one?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, Harmon, not sure against who any more. Grabbed a ball thrown short with one hand, pulled it into his hip, and ran that way into the end zone (5 yards or so)

runner up - Ferguson to Hooks, the catch before the hail mary against NE that Hooks also caught.

(PS i posted this same topic a couple years ago)

Thurman Thomas reaching behind and grabbing the ball one handed then pinning the ball against his helmet-

I think against Miami in playoffs.

OK so you watched the you tube video and posted that.

Didnt think i would ever use him as an example but Peerless Price's catch last year against the texans to win the game was great.

Don't forget his catch in the forward lateral game to set up the go ahead field goal. Clutch performance from a rookie and a QB with only one shoe.

The reminiscing in an earlier post with Chandler#81 got me thinking ... What's your pick for the greatest catch you've ever seen by a Bills receiver?

-

For me it always comes down to these two ...

-

"The Catch" ... Bills - Lions, 1972, last game at the Rockpile, 21-21 tie in a game that had 6 TD passes ... Bob Chandler's TD catch ... there were quite a few years in Western New York where a Bills fan could say "the catch" and the other person knew which play you were talking about. The body rotation, body parallel to the ground, feet dragging the end line, three defenders on him TD catch on the bad throw by Dennis Shaw. It's been thirty-six years and "the catch" still ranks right up there ... If you're under forty, go ask your father. Chandler was the PAC-8 decathalon champ back when ... well, back when the PAC-10 was the PAC-8. His balance, body control, strength and speed all teamed up on that one play.

-

(RUNNER-UP) Bills - Raiders, AFC Championship, Bills win 51-3 ... James Lofton's ballerina-on-a-tightrope catch sprinting down the Bills sideline ... his feet were in bounds and his body was not, and somehow he did that for about seven strides ... The pass from Kelly looked overthrown and too far out of bounds to reach. Gravity caught up with James - eventually - and the play wasn't a scoring play, but it was a long gain on a third down pass. A lot of things went right for the Bills that afternoon, but Lofton's catch was a thing of beauty. You can have Swan; Lofton was the most graceful I ever saw.

Wow---before i even saw what you picked i thought of the Chandler catch. I was there/in person/in awe---He made so many amazing catches for a slow short white guy.What an amazing football talent. God rest his soul.

Roland Hooks in a 1981-82? game against the Pats* made two great catches near the end to win. First he made a spectacular diving catch around mid-field, this set up a hail mary catch in the end zone from Fergy to win the game for the Bills.

I was at this game, coldest game I ever attended. We brought in Jack Daniels in wine skins to keep us warm. :censored:

Boring game, but close, with Fergy & Hooks pulling out a win with back to back prayers. Went home drunk and happy.

That was a beauty.

:censored: Yeah it was! Come on now Bills fans, anyone remember this catch-

Josh Reed-rookie year- made a diving, over both shoulder's catch with the safety zeroing in on him. One of the most courageous catch's I have ever seen. Anyone remember that one?

I will forever be a Josh Reed fan after that catch and would love to see a it again-is it on youtube?

EDIT-I have been searching Youtube and can only find this sick catch from Josh when he was at LSU-

I was one of the very few people at that game and it certainly wasn't on TV so if you remember this you are a true fan.

Personally, I was 7. I remember that we were winning early, Lucious Sanford did something stupid which prolonged a drive and we blew it in the end. The weather was gray and rainy. The guy next to us was hammered by Q2. and there was a HUUUGE "Squish the Fish" sign hanging from the upper deck.

That was the first game I ever went to and the catch is the most vivid in my mind. About 5 years ago, 2 unused tickets to that came popped up on Ebay and I bought them for $2 or something like that. In the row in front of us in the endzone, some guy was going back to his seat and decided to sit on the lap of some girl he didn't know. The boyfriend threw him into the row below then started beating him down. A few other guys jumped in, and there was one guy trying to settle it down and break it up, yet he was the one that was arrested.

A memorable time.

The reminiscing in an earlier post with Chandler#81 got me thinking ... What's your pick for the greatest catch you've ever seen by a Bills receiver?

-

For me it always comes down to these two ...

-

"The Catch" ... Bills - Lions, 1972, last game at the Rockpile, 21-21 tie in a game that had 6 TD passes ... Bob Chandler's TD catch ... there were quite a few years in Western New York where a Bills fan could say "the catch" and the other person knew which play you were talking about. The body rotation, body parallel to the ground, feet dragging the end line, three defenders on him TD catch on the bad throw by Dennis Shaw. It's been thirty-six years and "the catch" still ranks right up there ... If you're under forty, go ask your father. Chandler was the PAC-8 decathalon champ back when ... well, back when the PAC-10 was the PAC-8. His balance, body control, strength and speed all teamed up on that one play.

-

(RUNNER-UP) Bills - Raiders, AFC Championship, Bills win 51-3 ... James Lofton's ballerina-on-a-tightrope catch sprinting down the Bills sideline ... his feet were in bounds and his body was not, and somehow he did that for about seven strides ... The pass from Kelly looked overthrown and too far out of bounds to reach. Gravity caught up with James - eventually - and the play wasn't a scoring play, but it was a long gain on a third down pass. A lot of things went right for the Bills that afternoon, but Lofton's catch was a thing of beauty. You can have Swan; Lofton was the most graceful I ever saw.

I remember Bobby Chandler making a toe dragging catch in the back of the end zone against Tampa Bay, way back in my life. I was only 7, 8 maybe 9 years old, so i cannot recall much detail. However, as a kid, I used to practice that catch.

Roland Hooks in a 1981-82? game against the Pats* made two great catches near the end to win. First he made a spectacular diving catch around mid-field, this set up a hail mary catch in the end zone from Fergy to win the game for the Bills.

my choice too (the first of the two catches, that is). Roland caught the bottom half of the ball!! Absolutely amazing.

Thurman Thomas reaching behind and grabbing the ball one handed then pinning the ball against his helmet-

I think against Miami in playoffs.

That's the one I was trying to find online, but it wasn't in his youtube montage :censored: I think it was on my old "season in review" VHS tape from back in the day, though...it was really a great catch.

Great montage. Shows why he was the best all-purpose 'back in Buffalo history. He also led the league for what, 4-5 years in "all-purpose" yardage (running and receiving) for a running back.

I remember when Thurman first started yielding comparisons to Roger Craig, and then when we all realized Roger Craig was his beyotch...

Thurman was one of the few Bills I had a chance to hang with when he was taping a Bills show where I used to work...he seemed like a really cool guy.