Greatest Catch You've Ever Seen By A BILLS Receiver?

that was an awesome game. too bad my dumbass date figured the bills were gonna lose and made us all leave early.

That was the only game my father left early and he's still pissed. I credit that for allowing me to stay at the Comeback game though because I know he was itching to go home. If the Roland Hooks catch isn't gnawing at him he would have made us leave.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Beebe catching Leon Lett?

:lol::P

Anyone remember that full-speed, laid-out, over-the-shoulder TD catch in the EZ by Steve Tasker? It was one of those games he started as a wideout, and it made you think...yeah, he might have been a good one at that position.

Ha ha, and any TD catch by Butch Rolle was special. They got to be so damn funny cause we all knew it was coming, but, seemingly couldn't be stopped.

And I'll give a third vote for Reed's Fourth and Five, sliding TD catch in the EZ in the comeback game. They don't come any more clutch than that.

You can have Swan; Lofton was the most graceful I ever saw.

Agreed...that tiptoe sideline catch in the SB was thrilling.

One of the first games I ever saw in person was (I think) October 1990 against the Jets. It was one of those brilliant, clear fall days, and the Bills were behind by a TD in the 3rd qtr when Lofton streaked down the left sideline (heading for the tunnel end) with the Jets defender right on his heels. Kelly wound up and let fly a 60 yard rainbow. Time seemed to stand still, but once the ball was in the air Lofton shifted into a higher gear, caught that ball on his outstretched fingertips in full stride, and coasted in for the score.

Bills won that game, heh heh.

Thinking about it later I realized that all game prior to that, Lofton had been showing him one speed, but saved the afterburners for the money play when they really needed to score.

Graceful and canny as hell.

It was not a tremendous catch but I always remeber 1988 MNF at the Jets, the day the Jets fans burned the upper deck and the Bills torched the Jets 37-14, when Kelly threw a pass, it bounced in the air, and Flipper Johnson caught it and ran it all the way for a TD...ah, the good ol days of just leveling the Jets :lol:

:lol::P

Anyone remember that full-speed, laid-out, over-the-shoulder TD catch in the EZ by Steve Tasker? It was one of those games he started as a wideout, and it made you think...yeah, he might have been a good one at that position.

Jimbo always said he ran the best routes, and was basically uncoverable in practice.

Josh Reed rookie year. It was a deep ball over the middle overthrown. Josh ran full speed, dove head first towards the goalpost-and the charging safety, caught the ball looking over both shoulders, and caught the ball an inch off the turf. The catch was pure courage. That Safety was a nanosecond late and would of destroyed Josh.

Bob Chandler was incredible. I am 39 and me and all my friends practiced Bob Chandler sideline catches all the time. Jerry Butler was a great WR. Frank Lewis. Moulds. Andre. Lofton. We have had some great WR's!

Got to give props to Lee since no one else is. I can think of two catches last year. One tipped behind him that he pulled in the other was the one in the Jets game where he went up with two defenders on him, owned the ball and walked into the EZ as the Jets defenders laid on the ground and watched. I am not saying the best catches (to hard to call) every but still awesome.

I don't remember the year (and I'm too lazy to look it up) but one of my favorite catches ever was the Todd Johnson to Quinn Early 95 yard TD pass. Johnson threw the ball as far as he could and Quinn Early went after it like a man on a mission. The defender hit Early as he laid (layed?) out to catch the ball but he hit him before the catch. Early held on to make an awesome, diving catch even though the defender made contact him. He then gets up and runs it into the endzone for the score. It still stands as the longest pass in Bills' history (I think.)

Does anyone remember a catch in the mid-70's by one of my favorites, JD Hill?

I didn't see it, and I'm not sure it was even televised, but there was a picture in the paper and it was much discussed as a great catch. If I remember correctly, it was at Rich Stadium on a really rainy day and he was fully stretched out making the grab, and then slid for a while.

I was real young, but I wanna mention JD Hill, cause he made some real nice plays and doesn't get much love here on the Wall.

Anybody mention the catch by Ronnie Harmon against the Colts back in the late 1980's? It was the one at Rich around half-time, forget if it was before or after... I think they came back.

Well... Harmon's body was laid out horizontal to the ground and he caught the ball with one hand fully extended!

He made up for that gem it in the playoffs v. Cleveland though! :rolleyes:

i am going to say it was Butler's career ender too. But it wasn't as you said. Butler went up for foa a high ball in the end zome. As he was coming back down to the ground, his leg got smashed between two Miami players and broken in several places. He held on to the ball though for a TD.

That was the play that came to mind when I read the post. There are others by guys like Dubenion, Chandler,Reed, J.D. Hill, Lofton, Beebe (I always got a kick of how he could get the living daylights pounded out of him, get hit into next Sunday and hang on to the ball.) and a few of Evans and Moulds. The Butler catch will live on though.

There was always that great Ronnie Harmon catch of Jim Kelly's pass that took us over the Cleveland Browns and led to us winning our first of five superbowls! Oh....wait a minute. He dropped that one.

He dropped one in the Rose Bowl for Iowa I think? Yet... Could make amazing catches at other times... You be the judge!

:rolleyes: