"WARTS, LOVE AND DREAMS IN BUFFALO"

Lori

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...82018/index.htm

The latest chapter in Buffalo's dismal epic of sports misfortunes involves the genuine danger that its only major league representative, the much-loved Bills, may skip town in a dispute over a new stadium. In Buffalo that would be tantamount to turning off the water supply and might move the generally law-abiding citizenry to open rebellion.

The situation may become critical if Bills Owner Ralph Wilson Jr. carries out his intention of drafting USC superstar O.J. Simpson on Jan. 28. O.J. says he prefers to play on the Coast (and in the NFL), so the Bills might have to go to him. Should they depart to other realms (Seattle is a possible destination) with O.J. in hand, the local government's most prudent option would be to call out the National Guard and then flee to Canada.

The more things change...

Actually an interesting story, once you make it past the first few paragraphs of Buffalo-bashing.

Actually an interesting story, once you make it past the first few paragraphs of Buffalo-bashing.

Great article...if only to get a window into the past. I never realized the city had such a bad rep, even when the economy was reletively good. Never realized the level of dislike. No wonder we have such a bunker mentality.

PTR

I think the Bashing is an important prelude. Without it, the depth of our collective fanhood isn't as easily explained. I was in WNY on business last few days. OMG!! :wallbash:

Spring?!? ;)

Love your new avatar!

I didn't finish the article but it's very interesting how a lot of players used to think Buffalo is a sad :wallbash: hole and then end up spending their lives there. (I.E. Jim Kelly and Steve Tasker) I believe the Kelly's and Tasker's are changing the attitude of NFL players. The Bills don't seem to have a huge problem signing FA's even when the weather is factored in. The city charms them and the players embrace the community. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if someone spends a day or week in Buffalo they may walk away believing the nay-sayers. When someone lives there for a long time they are introduced to the true spirit and culture of the city and all of western New York and they understand that you have to experience something before making a judgement.

I believe the Kelly's and Tasker's are changing the attitude of NFL players.

Not to rain on your Talkn' Proud parade, but they represent 0.1% of the Bills players who've passed through Buffalo over the years. The fact Jim and Steve can augment their income via local marketing gigs makes a big difference as well (I doubt we'll ever hear "Hey, Eric Flowers, how'd you like to represent my company?")

Jill Kelly and Patti Thomas are from the area, so maybe the best thing to do to keep players here long-term would be to line up wives for all the unmarried guys as the come to training camp.

I didn't finish the article but it's very interesting how a lot of players used to think Buffalo is a sad <_< hole and then end up spending their lives there. (I.E. Jim Kelly and Steve Tasker) I believe the Kelly's and Tasker's are changing the attitude of NFL players. The Bills don't seem to have a huge problem signing FA's even when the weather is factored in. The city charms them and the players embrace the community. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if someone spends a day or week in Buffalo they may walk away believing the nay-sayers. When someone lives there for a long time they are introduced to the true spirit and culture of the city and all of western New York and they understand that you have to experience something before making a judgement.

You have to remember that the article was written when the Bills played at War Memorial Stadium. This was also before Buffalo got the Sabres and Braves. The trashing of the old Rockpile was actually charitable to those who had the (mis) fortune to attend games there. I always heard that the players locker rooms and amenities were horrible also. Good thing that there was no free agency as not many players would have selected Buffalo and the Rockpile as their preferred home.

I wonder if the Bills would be in more trouble now if they had built a 60,000 seat dome stadium back then. By now, it would be very much out of date and the lower capacity would only be making it harder to justify keeping the team.

Not to rain on your Talkn' Proud parade, but they represent 0.1% of the Bills players who've passed through Buffalo over the years. The fact Jim and Steve can augment their income via local marketing gigs makes a big difference as well (I doubt we'll ever hear "Hey, Eric Flowers, how'd you like to represent my company?")

Jill Kelly and Patti Thomas are from the area, so maybe the best thing to do to keep players here long-term would be to line up wives for all the unmarried guys as the come to training camp.

I'd be happy to aid the cause and make mine available! <_<

Great article...if only to get a window into the past. I never realized the city had such a bad rep, even when the economy was reletively good. Never realized the level of dislike. No wonder we have such a bunker mentality.

PTR

As to a window into the past, "fleeing to Canada" could have been applied entirely differently later in modern day America regarding OJ too.

I think the Bashing is an important prelude. Without it, the depth of our collective fanhood isn't as easily explained. I was in WNY on business last few days. OMG!! <_<

Spring?!? 0:)

Love your new avatar!

I travel quite a bit and while WNY is not a pillar of business wealth and growth it's actually less depressing being here this winter than in some of the southern economic "boom" areas I've been too. Economy is really kicking thatass.

I think the Bashing is an important prelude. Without it, the depth of our collective fanhood isn't as easily explained. I was in WNY on business last few days. OMG!! <_<

Spring?!? 0:)

Love your new avatar!

Heh. A friend from the area is on vacation in NC; I think I'm going to e-mail him and tell him that it's SEVENTEEN DEGREES in beautiful Northern Pennsyltucky this morning.

The "new" avatar is actually one I've used before, the same logo the TBD hats were modeled upon. Figured it was appropriate to bring it back, given the recent time-shift here...

PTR

EXACTLY!

Jeeziz, after reading that article, you wonder how the Bills were able to stay in WNY...and how the Sabres and Braves made it. (Well, not so long for the Braves) The "situation" in 1969 sounded even more dire than it is now...great find Lori.

Jeeziz, after reading that article, you wonder how the Bills were able to stay in WNY...and how the Sabres and Braves made it. (Well, not so long for the Braves) The "situation" in 1969 sounded even more dire than it is now...great find Lori.

The economy sounded better back then though.

Great piece. God, sportswriting has gone downhill ...

Not really. There's just so much of it these days, you have to work harder to separate the wheat from the chaff. The best -- Joe Posnanski, Jeff MacGregor, Chris Jones, S.L. Price, Wright Thompson, to name a few -- are as good as ever.

Finally got around to reading this....very good article. Nice to know that somethings (like pessimism) never change! :thumbsup:

From reading that, it's hard to believe that the Sabres were playing in Buffalo just a year or so later.