Official LOST thread

ofiba

Some predictions:

1) Locke turns out to be a poor leader of the Island group. Remember Locke failed the test Richard gave him as a child. Perhaps there is some flaw with his connection to the island that causes the "bad things" to occur.

2) Perhaps there is also a battle for the island between Jacob and Christian? Maybe Christian, representing some alternate force, usurped Jacob's leadership role somehow and is now creating havoc? Maybe that's why Claire warned Kate not to return to the island.

3) Sun will join Widmore to retake/destroy the island as an act of revenge, but in the process will somehow reverse the events of the freighter explosion, saving Jin but also creating a time paradox changing history to some extent.

Unanswered questions:

1) why do pregnant women die on the island?

2) what do the numbers mean?

3) what happened to "the magic box?"

PTR

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some predictions:

1) Locke turns out to be a poor leader of the Island group. Remember Locke failed the test Richard gave him as a child. Perhaps there is some flaw with his connection to the island that causes the "bad things" to occur.

2) Perhaps there is also a battle for the island between Jacob and Christian? Maybe Christian, representing some alternate force, usurped Jacob's leadership role somehow and is now creating havoc? Maybe that's why Claire warned Kate not to return to the island.

3) Sun will join Widmore to retake/destroy the island as an act of revenge, but in the process will somehow reverse the events of the freighter explosion, saving Jin but also creating a time paradox changing history to some extent.

Unanswered questions:

1) why do pregnant women die on the island?

2) what do the numbers mean?

3) what happened to "the magic box?"

PTR

4) John Locke returns to life when his body is brought back to the island.

4) John Locke returns to life when his body is brought back to the island.

That's really the only logical outcome, his character is too popular to kill off. Although with the flashbacks, I guess you're never really killed off the show.

That's really the only logical outcome, his character is too popular to kill off. Although with the flashbacks, I guess you're never really killed off the show.

They're not flashbacks. The show is still in 2004 (or maybe 1996), Locke is dead in 2007, so there's plenty of time for Locke to be on the show before he dies.

They're not flashbacks. The show is still in 2004 (or maybe 1996), Locke is dead in 2007, so there's plenty of time for Locke to be on the show before he dies.

I think it's 2008, current time, in the final scene.

I'm gonna take a stab at something...

From what I can tell, when Ben pushes the wheel to move the Island the Island expels him to Tunisia where he starts a plan to make it back to the Island. Now Tunisia is also where that polar bear ended up. So is it safe to assume that quite possibly the polar bears were trained on the island to turn the wheel so no one would have to leave when the island was moved?

I'm gonna take a stab at something...

From what I can tell, when Ben pushes the wheel to move the Island the Island expels him to Tunisia where he starts a plan to make it back to the Island. Now Tunisia is also where that polar bear ended up. So is it safe to assume that quite possibly the polar bears were trained on the island to turn the wheel so no one would have to leave when the island was moved?

Ahhh! Also remember how cold it was down there? I think thats why the polar bears were on the island!

My money's on Faraday, who was on his way back to the freighter when it exploded, somehow rescuing Jin. Whether they get back to the island before it moves or are adrift at sea is the open question.

I think it's 2008, current time, in the final scene.

Yes, it's current or very close. There are flashbacks, flashforwards, and who really knows what is considered current time. Alabany's post was a bit confusing, but there are definitely flashbacks...My point is that even if Locke is dead in 2007 or 2008, he will obviously still have a prominent role in the show because the show jumps all over the place. There is no such thing as getting killed off this show...

I don't think it's a given that he will revive. Remember, it's taken a year for them to even show us that it was Locke in the coffin. His story of the preceding 3 years on the island as well as some details of what he discussed with Jack, Kate, Sun, et al, as well as the circumstances of his demise are yet to be shown. He is a major character, so I would expect this kind of extended treatment for what happens to him --- it would have been so shi--y to just have an episode where Locke dies and that's it.

That said, per Ben's telling, I think they have to bring Locke/Jeremy Bentham's body back with them when they go back to the island. And when that happens, it's anybody's guess.

My money's on Faraday, who was on his way back to the freighter when it exploded, somehow rescuing Jin. Whether they get back to the island before it moves or are adrift at sea is the open question.

I definitely don't get the sense that Jin is dead, or that Faraday's story is finished. Sun may be operating on that assumption , either b/c she's not entirely sure or it's just the official story front that Jack said they needed to do to protect the other Lostaways. Seemed like she knew he wasn't dead in the birth flashforward this season. She said that 2 people are responsible for Jin's death, her father and ...? And, we know that Mr. Paik is friends with Widmore. More things connect. Jack also told Desmond to take care of Penny b/c someone will be after her. Who? Ben? How would he know this (that was from the flashforward that Ben says he's going to kill Widmore's daughter as a tit-for-tat for Alex.

How much of the island was moved? Is it's sphere of influence extended into the ocean like that glass dome in the comic book? Also, how did the island move? Did it really sink underwater like was shown and everything submerged and we're led to believe it's going to re-emerge somewhere else? Are structures still intact?

Yes, it's current or very close. There are flashbacks, flashforwards, and who really knows what is considered current time. Alabany's post was a bit confusing, but there are definitely flashbacks...My point is that even if Locke is dead in 2007 or 2008, he will obviously still have a prominent role in the show because the show jumps all over the place. There is no such thing as getting killed off this show...

Well, the plane crashed on 22 Sept 2004 and the Oceanic 6 were stranded for ~ 4 months. Then, Kate said in the extended airport meeting with Jack that it had been 3 years since their rescue (vaguery here, for sure) so that would likely place it at early 2008.

---

Some other observations...

It really struck me how much Sawyer's character has changed even from the start of this season where everything he did was him "survivin'" and now he's trying to protect everyone else by putting himself in danger. Ran toward the house to save Claire, trekked off to get Hurley at the Orchid station, jumped from the helicopter (anybody see Hurley's eyes go :thumbsup: when Frank said he'd feel more comfortable if they dumped about 300 more pounds).

With Claire appearing in Kate's dream combined with being in the cabin, I'm nonplussed to say whether she is alive or not.

Others say that the scene where Ben moves the island was 'high-school-theatre-ish.' Dude, it was awesome. I would seriously put this show in the top 5 all-time, so far. It's about the only thing I watch on non-PBS TeeVee besides news and Jeopardy.

I don't think it's a given that he will revive. Remember, it's taken a year for them to even show us that it was Locke in the coffin. His story of the preceding 3 years on the island as well as some details of what he discussed with Jack, Kate, Sun, et al, as well as the circumstances of his demise are yet to be shown. He is a major character, so I would expect this kind of extended treatment for what happens to him --- it would have been so shi--y to just have an episode where Locke dies and that's it.

That said, per Ben's telling, I think they have to bring Locke/Jeremy Bentham's body back with them when they go back to the island. And when that happens, it's anybody's guess.

Not so sure that Locke's demise hasn't already been cast. Locke was shot by Ben and left for dead on the island. It was likely the island that brought Locke back and may be the only thing keeping him alive.

Ben's "murdering" of Locke may have only been to ensure that Locke never leaves the island alive.

I was also wondering if the full flight manifest has been published at some point by the producers? Is it possible that Jeremy Bentham is on that list? Just wondering...

Ahhh! Also remember how cold it was down there? I think thats why the polar bears were on the island!

No the polar bears were most likely part of a zoological station. Can't remember the station number off hand, but it's already been covered.

Jeremy Bentham

"As requested in his will, his body was preserved and stored in a wooden cabinet, termed his "Auto-icon". Originally kept by his disciple Dr. Southwood Smith, it was acquired by University College London in 1850. The Auto-icon is kept on public display at the end of the South Cloisters in the main building of the College. For the 100th and 150th anniversaries of the college, the Auto-icon was brought to the meeting of the College Council, where he was listed as "present but not voting". Tradition holds that if the council's vote on any motion is tied, the auto-icon always breaks the tie by voting in favour of the motion.

The Auto-icon has always had a wax head, as Bentham's head was badly damaged in the preservation process. The real head was displayed in the same case for many years, but became the target of repeated pranks by King's College London students including being stolen on more than one occasion. It is now locked away securely."