Turner's price has went down.

CHARGERS WILLING TO TAKE LESS THAN A FIRST-ROUNDER FOR TURNER?

An industry source tells us that the San Diego Chargers might be willing to accept a trade proposal for running back Michael Turner that includes less than a first-round pick.

Though Turner is tendered as a restricted free agent at the highest possible level, which would require compensation in the amount of a first-round pick and a third-round pick, no one is expected to give up that much for a guy who'll be unrestricted in 2008.

Per the source, G.M. A.J. Smith could be ready to accept a second-round pick this year and a second-round pick or a third-round pick in 2008 for Turner's rights.

The thinking is that Smith wants to end up with three picks in the first two rounds of this year's draft, so that the team can fill needs at receiver, safety, linebacker, and guard with guys who are ready to play right now.

Turner has visited the Titans and the Bills this week

I would be happier than a pig in his own feces if we got Turner for a 2nd! Then we could draft P.Willie in rd one, and we would be stacked!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming Peterson is available at 12, then giving SD a 2nd and a 3rd for Turner means Turner and Willis (I'm guessing this is the pick people want) is a better draft than Peterson and say the Penn St LB since we should be able to get back into the 1st round if we are willing to part with our #2 and #3. It' pretty close but the only player that everyone seems convinced is a lock-sure difference-making talent is Peterson. Personally, I'd hate to pass on a certain difference maker. What I'm really hoping for is Turner for only a #2 or #3 then I'd jump because we'd get 3 quality players not 2.

I'd much rather my trade than give up a 2nd this year- this year in the second round where the Bills pick your going to be able to find a CB who physically is on par with the 1st round CBs- I'm using the Two McGahee picks - Anthony Thomas is a throw in how much are you going to use him if Turner is the stud everyone thinks he is- so the big lose is the 2008 2nd rounder- is that a fair exchange to upgrade from Willis to Turner?

This year's second plus a third this year or next seems very fair to me. Turner is more valuable to us than MaGoofee and will be a better player, so I don't mind spending a little more, but would really like to stay away from anything in the first round.

But my main question is since when is "has went" reasonable English that first 10 responses don't take a second to make fun of? TSW has way too many threads to begin with, with people starting new ones instead of adding their insight to another relevant thread, but at least we can hope for some quality grammar.

I am not bold enough to start "The Official Michael Turner Trade Rumor Thread", but that wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I'd offer them a 4th this year. No more.

The Chargers would never accept it, of course, but considering his contract status and the fact that the Bills have an alternative to Turner in the form of the upcoming draft, they shouldn't offer any more.

I'd probably wait until after the first day of the draft to make this trade, anyway. By doing so, the Bills could add a 2nd or 3rd round RB on the first day (as will the other teams needing RBs), reducing the Chargers' bargaining power if the Bills still wished to pursue the trade.

My Turner Trade- Bills get Turner and the Chargers 2007 5th - the Bills give up Anthony Thomas 2007 3rd, 2008 2nd and 3rd

:thumbsup:

Thats two 3rds, one 2nd, and a good backup RB

for

A great backup RB, and a 5th

Assuming Peterson is available at 12, then giving SD a 2nd and a 3rd for Turner means Turner and Willis (I'm guessing this is the pick people want) is a better draft than Peterson and say the Penn St LB since we should be able to get back into the 1st round if we are willing to part with our #2 and #3. It' pretty close but the only player that everyone seems convinced is a lock-sure difference-making talent is Peterson. Personally, I'd hate to pass on a certain difference maker. What I'm really hoping for is Turner for only a #2 or #3 then I'd jump because we'd get 3 quality players not 2.

Too many ifs, maybes and whoknowsits for my taste. No idea at all if Peterson will be there at 12 nor if we can just wave a wand and move back into the first. In the draft, there is no such thing as a lock. We have 4 picks in the first three rounds (4 out of 92). I see no reason why we can't get 4 quality players as it is without bothering with Turner and the huge contract he is going to want.

We have no idea what is going to happen with the first 11 picks. Every year, there are surprises with people being taken much earlier or later than predicted. Certain trades being discussed now for us to get Turner would forfeit our flexibility to take advantage of the surprises that might happen on draft day. Ko Simpson and Youboty are execellent examples of that. Had we traded away those picks before the draft to get some FA thinking we couldn't get quality players with those picks, we would have missed out on nabbing these guys who inexplicably slipped through the early round cracks.

I think we are in great shape to continue building this team through the draft and I have no problem playing the cards we already have. We declined to overspend for Clements and he was as good a CB as Turner is a RB with the added bonus that Clements proved his value as a long term starter. I see no reason to overspend and squander first day picks for this guy.

Nope, I would wait for a 3rd rounder this year and thats it. If AJ doesn't take it, we draft a RB.

Agreed.

I hope the Bills realize that they're in the driver's seat. The Chargers have no use for Turner beyond this year and will not re-sign him anyway. And the market price for starting RB's is a 3rd round pick; the Bills robbed the Ravens by getting two 3rds.

Agreed.

I hope the Bills realize that they're in the driver's seat. The Chargers have no use for Turner beyond this year and will not re-sign him anyway. And the market price for starting RB's is a 3rd round pick; the Bills robbed the Ravens by getting two 3rds.

Yes...a level head prevails!! Demand and supply is the game, and hopefully a Harvard degree must mean something besides awesome quotes to rally the troops.

:thumbsup:

Thats two 3rds, one 2nd, and a good backup RB

for

A great backup RB, and a 5th

Is there any way to derail this "We must have Turner or we shall die" train?

We have 4 picks in the top 100, lets not get greedy and screw that up.

This is the kind of "I'm the smartest guy in the room" wheeling and dealing stuff that Donahoe couldn't resist.

Buffalo could put this draft on auto-pilot and do just fine. Just set the machine to "get the best LB, RB, CB and TE or G or DT you can find with those 4 picks" and then go out and clean the gutters. Where we will get into trouble is fixating on this or that guy that we somehow get convinced we just have to have and then start squandering picks to get that one guy.

This is a team sport and the best "differance maker" is having solid performers across the whole roster. New England, the Sabres, that is the model.