Get Turner for swap of firsts? Would you do it?

If you could get Michael Turner AND SD's #30 pick for our #12 would you do it? This would guarentee we'd be out of the running for Patrick Willis, but if he's gone at #12 anyway, Marv would look pretty smart.

By the way, does anyone know the point formula for swapping picks?

PTR

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm is a link to the point value chart

I wouldnt mind it...but I would prefer to stay put in round 1 and move some of our other picks. If we could get 2 impact players early, i.e. Turner and whoever at 12 I think we'd be sitting pretty going into the season.

If you could get Michael Turner AND SD's #30 pick for our #12 would you do it? This would guarentee we'd be out of the running for Patrick Willis, but if he's gone at #12 anyway, Marv would look pretty smart.

PTR

W/ the 49ers picking right before the Bills, there's a strong chance that Willis will be gone.

Now, would I take the deal and swap first round picks to acquire Turner? Sure. Well, then what to do w/ the 30th pick? Again, this is if I were the GM, I'd look to bolster the offensive line by taking a guy I think can be a real star in the pros: C Ryan Kalil of USC. I'd look to draft David Harris in the 2nd round, then go after some CB help in the 3rd. Since this draft is not a great one for corners, I wouldn't bypass the chance to upgrade @ center (Fowler's very technically sound, but is too weak) and bring in a tough, smart MLB to overspend on this group of corners.

Of course, this is just my take on things. I'm quite sure there's little or no chance of Kalil ending up in Buffalo once the draft gets underway.

PTR

Its like a 400 point difference I think, I am sure someone here has the exact amount. I would do it and use our 3rd or even 2nd to get back in the mid first if Willis is still there. Thats some pretty wishful thinking though. Worst comes to worse we pick up POZ, who I am really not fond of.

W/ the 49ers picking right before the Bills, there's a strong chance that Willis will be gone.

Now, would I take the deal and swap first round picks to acquire Turner? Sure. Well, then what to do w/ the 30th pick? Again, this is if I were the GM, I'd look to bolster the offensive line by taking a guy I think can be a real star in the pros: C Ryan Kalil of USC. I'd look to draft David Harris in the 2nd round, then go after some CB help in the 3rd. Since this draft is not a great one for corners, I wouldn't bypass the chance to upgrade @ center (Fowler's very technically sound, but is too weak) and bring in a tough, smart MLB to overspend on this group of corners.

Of course, this is just my take on things. I'm quite sure there's little or no chance of Kalil ending up in Buffalo once the draft gets underway.

Perfect post.

Needing a volume of players, the advantage to the swap is we stay away from a big contract for a rookie and we still get a pretty good player at #30.

My problem is we need impact players and those tend to be higher in the draft. Be it Willis, Okoye or Branch, they will be gone by 30. Give em the second round pick or some sort of performance based pick for next year. I say stay at 12.

The best I'd do is to swap 2nds (43 for 62) and throw in a conditional day-2 pick in 2008. Still wouldn't like the contract $$$ Turner would command but if the D got a stud at #12 I guess I could live with it... :w00t:

Needing a volume of players, the advantage to the swap is we stay away from a big contract for a rookie and we still get a pretty good player at #30.

My problem is we need impact players and those tend to be higher in the draft. Be it Willis, Okoye or Branch, they will be gone by 30. Give em the second round pick or some sort of performance based pick for next year. I say stay at 12.

I agree. I'd prefer to give them the 2nd rounder and hold on to 12, trade down to someone like Denver (who covets a pass rusher - Moss probably doesn't last until their pick) at 21 for their 2nd rounder. Then take poslusny or meacham at 21 who will both be gone at 30 and still have a 2nd rounder to take a DT, CB or LB.

The 12th pick is worth 1,200 points and the 30th overall pick is worth 620 points, so its a 580 point difference, which would equate to the 33rd overall pick in the draft (1st pick in 2nd round). Id almost pull a the trigger on a swap like that.

Don't get too caught up with the point charts, but I agree in concept. But I don't think the Chargers would go for it. If the contract is right that would be a good fit for us, while giving the Chargers (in theory) more than our second pick is worth. I also think there will be better LBs available at #30 than at #43.

So if he isn't getting huge free agent money for the extension I would do this, but I don't see it happening.

Trade our second and fourth to SD for Turner. Darft Willis at #12 and then package the thirds to get back into the 2nd to take a CB (such as Fresno State's Marcus McCauley, UNLV's Eric Wright, Cal's Daymeion Hughes, or Tennessee's Jonathan Wade) or OL (Justin Blalock). Then use the rest of the draft to pick up DL, LB and TE depth.

PTR

YES! I would take that in a heartbeat. But I doubt SD would let him go that easily...

I'm not a fan of giving up a #1 pick for anything but a first or second year player who is going to be a part of the organization for 7-10 years. Even then that player has to be special. Rationale being, a first round player will be as big a piece of the puzzle as the one you are trading for. Especially at 12.

If I'm the Bills I draft Willis and hope San Diego drops thier asking price. If they don't by the second round, step up and draft a running back and let "the Burner" keep on truckin'. The question to me is how much are you willing to give up for a back who you know very little about? He's a 5th round draft choice from a small school who has backed up a healthy dominant running back for the past 3 years.

Two 3rd rounders is my best offer. A conditional 2nd if the player performs to an adequate level. That to me still seems like alot. Imo.

The Real

I'm not a fan of giving up a #1 pick for anything but a first or second year player who is going to be a part of the organization for 7-10 years. Even then that player has to be special. Rationale being, a first round player will be as big a piece of the puzzle as the one you are trading for. Especially at 12.

If I'm the Bills I draft Willis and hope San Diego drops thier asking price. If they don't by the second round, step up and draft a running back and let "the Burner" keep on truckin'. The question to me is how much are you willing to give up for a back who you know very little about? He's a 5th round draft choice from a small school who has backed up a healthy dominant running back for the past 3 years.

Two 3rd rounders is my best offer. A conditional 2nd if the player performs to an adequate level. That to me still seems like alot. Imo.

The Real

It's difficult to argue with this logic. I love the player, MT, but I just can't see giving up anything more than what we got for WM. Yes, I think MT would be a better player than WM was here, but the circumstances are what they are. MT is a backup for a team that will lose him in a year, and barring a serious injury to LT, will have little impact on his team. That is the market. I want the player, I just don't want to overpay with picks. I feel we can acquire the best back available and maintain our #12 selection and get an impact player there. (Willis)

I won't jump from a ledge should ML swap 1sts to obtain the services of MT, I just don't think it's necassary, IMO.

I hate the idea of giving up a first rounder, especially next year's. Who says we won't be in the Top 5 or Top 10? In the NFL there are injuries to key people all the time. We're not that good yet where a couple of key injuries (Losman, Evans, etc) could push close games in the 'loss' column. Plus, unless you are just absolutely convinced Turner is the next Jim Brown, why not wait just one year and sign him as a free agent? What's the rush (pardon the pun)? His price shouldn't be much higher given he'll be a year older and right now supposively Tenn and the Bills are 'negotiating' long term. If we wait, we get him in 2008 and this year's #1 that we didn't trade. Three years ago he was just as fast, just as big, and was a 5th round choice - for a few hundred yards as a back-up he's now become expensive in salary and costly in terms of a #1 pick just to get him this year. Seems like an awful lot of risk for a few hundred yards. For a third rounder and a LT contract, I'd probably say 'do it' - maybe even a 2nd rounder but probably not. Certainly not for a 1st rounder. Wait one year - the only risk it seems is if Tennessee decides to pay up. IMHO it's a risk worth taking.

I WOULD do it.....especially if Patrick Willis was gone.

Certainly more palatable if Willis is gone, but, we obviously have to wait until draft day to find this out and by then, it my be too late.

Interesting to see how this little game of chicken turns out.

PTR

No.

1. Pick #12 provides us plenty of options to choose from: Willis, Lynch or Hall.

2. Why help another AFC team to take a impact player at that position when they

are already a loaded team.

3. Michael Turner is as much unknown as a Peterson or Lynch, however is 3 years older

than the other two. I will rather go with a younger player.

4. I don't like AJ Smith and don't want to do a favor for him and his team.

PTR

for sure! then at 30 we would have to hope for puzluzny to still be there if not there are still many first round calibre guys at the 30 spot.. look at it this way would you rather have

1. marshawn lynch

or

2. turner the burner AND pick #30