Modrak to have his future freed up?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...tm?mode=afceast

We hear that the Bills may be losing one of their key evaluators following this year’s draft. Tom Modrak, the team’s assistant general manager, is likely the odd man out as Buffalo’s front office continues to cut ties to the Tom Donahoe era. If Modrak departs, the biggest beneficiaries are director of pro personnel John Guy and vice president of football administration Jim Overdorf, who are responsible for more of the day-to-day operations and have been calling the shots as of late. Many league evaluators have raised their eyebrows at the amount of money Buffalo has thrown at free agents the past two years, from disappointing DT Larry Tripplett in ’06 to OG Derrick Dockery and OT Langston Walker in ’07. According to one NFL evaluator, “(L)ook at the pro acquisitions they have made and the amount of money they are giving to average players who have not panned out. … They have drafted well, and it was a good year to draft and develop offensive linemen, but they threw way too much money at free agents. I really question the direction of the team. I think they are taking a big step back with the players they’ve lost and (the ones they’ve) brought in.”

PTR

We hear that the Bills may be losing one of their key evaluators following this year’s draft. Tom Modrak, the team’s assistant general manager, is likely the odd man out as Buffalo’s front office continues to cut ties to the Tom Donahoe era. If Modrak departs, the biggest beneficiaries are director of pro personnel John Guy and vice president of football administration Jim Overdorf, who are responsible for more of the day-to-day operations and have been calling the shots as of late. Many league evaluators have raised their eyebrows at the amount of money Buffalo has thrown at free agents the past two years, from disappointing DT Larry Tripplett in ’06 to OG Derrick Dockery and OT Langston Walker in ’07. According to one NFL evaluator, “(L)ook at the pro acquisitions they have made and the amount of money they are giving to average players who have not panned out. … They have drafted well, and it was a good year to draft and develop offensive linemen, but they threw way too much money at free agents. I really question the direction of the team. I think they are taking a big step back with the players they’ve lost and (the ones they’ve) brought in.”

PTR

Apparently his NFL evaluator is Jeremy Green.

This article is confusing, what does one thing have to do with the other? Modrak isnt involved as far as I know with the FA negotiations and the money they are ultimately payed. I always thought his area was more in the draft. So am I missing something as far as how the "terrible FA spending" correlates with Modrak being pushed out?

This article is confusing, what does one thing have to do with the other? Modrak isnt involved as far as I know with the FA negotiations and the money they are ultimately payed. I always thought his area was more in the draft. So am I missing something as far as how the "terrible FA spending" correlates with Modrak being pushed out?

Perhaps the point is that Modrak is the wrong guy to go (if, in fact, someone is leaving).

Yeah but Modrak isn't even in Buffalo half the time anymore. Besides I don't see anything wrong with the Bills signings compared to market value. You can't compare a contract that was signed three years ago to the kind of money that is being thrown around now.

PTR

Another story with a slant. Modrak has been handling the draft and the scouting of college players. This is the job he wanted all along. He left a GM job in Philly for this job and and never wanted the GM job Buffalo. He does not maintain an office in Buffalo, so the "odd man out" comments makes no sense. Overdorf is known as a solid cap guy and was in fact retained by Donohoe, and then again by Levy, for that job. All of a sudden he is paying too much money for average players? I believe that John Guy was hired by Donohoe ... so Donahoe brought in a person that doesn't understand pro talent? All of these guys have distinctly different assignments reporting to the GM, Marv Levy. So what's the problem?

I question the direction of the writers story, not the direction of the team. To say that the Bills threw away money on free agent offenaive lineman before the team has played even one down is just irresponsible journalism.

Jeez, I'm so sick of the "sky is falling" national media outlet commentaries with respect to this team.

A couple of quick hits here, If I may:

1. I believe I am correct when i say that come the 2007 season, we'll have only 3 starters 30 and over and no one over 31 - youth;

2. After we draft or trade, almost the entirety of our starting defense we'll either be contractual obligated or restricted free agents for no less than 2, most likely, 3 years to come - stability;

3. Most of the current (Triplett), new (Walker, and McCargo - remember him) or possibly, soon to be (Willis) defensive players are compatible with our implementation of the Tampa 2 defensive scheme - experience or scheme knowledge;

4. There is little argument that our OL that got better last year (5-4 finish) was made, through free agency, better this year, and with a little depth - upgrade;

5. I have little doubt that either through a trade (Turner) or the draft (Lynch, Pittman) we will get a faster, more hands efficient RB that, at least for a little while, wants to be here - stability, consistency, youth, skill;

6. The guy protecting JPs blind side should probably come into his own this year as one of the best tackles in the business - experience, skill, stability, youth;

7. Cap wise, we are going to be in a good position after this year to sign JP and Evans (should they flourish) which along with our upcoming draft moves, FA so far, and our recent signings will contractually obligate a majority of our improved and improving OF for no less than 2, most likely, 3 years to come - stability;

8. We are getting back the NFL's 11th rated QB, along with our "should have been a Pro Bowler" WR - youth, stability, experience, skill and I could go on and on.

Please forgive me for not feeling worse about my team, its direction and its leadership.

Can anyone tell me how we go about signing Lavaar Arrington or Chris Brown? :)

Jeez, I'm so sick of the "sky is falling" national media outlet commentaries with respect to this team.

1. I believe I am correct when i say that come the 2007 season, we'll have only 3 starters 30 and over and no one over 31 - youth;

2. After we draft or trade, almost the entirety of our starting defense we'll either be contractual obligated or restricted free agents for no less than 2, most likely, 3 years to come - stability;

3. Most of the current (Triplett), new (Walker, and McCargo - remember him) or possibly, soon to be (Willis) defensive players are compatible with our implementation of the Tampa 2 defensive scheme - experience or scheme knowledge;

4. There is little argument that our OL that got better last year (5-4 finish) was made, through free agency, better this year, and with a little depth - upgrade;

5. I have little doubt that either through a trade (Turner) or the draft (Lynch, Pittman) we will get a faster, more hands efficient RB that, at least for a little while, wants to be here - stability, consistency, youth, skill;

6. The guy protecting JPs blind side should probably come into his own this year as one of the best tackles in the business - experience, skill, stability, youth;

7. Cap wise, we are going to be in a good position after this year to sign JP and Evans (should they flourish) which along with our upcoming draft moves, FA so far, and our recent signings will contractually obligate a majority of our improved and improving OF for no less than 2, most likely, 3 years to come - stability;

8. We are getting back the NFL's 11th rated QB, along with our "should have been a Pro Bowler" WR - youth, stability, experience, skill and I could go on and on.

Please forgive me for not feeling worse about my team, its direction and its leadership.

Bravo!

:) What are this writer’s credentials for being a critic and an evaluator of talent, and the running of an NFL frachase? This is just more paper for the bottom of the bird cage!

Sounds like this jerk had a deadline to meet last night and started the story five minute to midnight when he got home from a busy weekend. It is amazing how many jacka$$’s can get paid for such nonsense. :(

How does Triplett, Dockery and Langston = signing guys that did not pan out...?

:)

Nice!

Guys, I know we're "homers" but come on, lately, any 5 of us can knock the hell out of most of these arguments or comments that the "analysts" have been saying about the Bills.

It doesn't necessarily make us right, it just makes them look bad.

Guys, I know we're "homers" but come on, lately, any 5 of us can knock the hell out of most of these arguments or comments that the "analysts" have been saying about the Bills.

It doesn't necessarily make us right, it just makes them look bad.

This might be a case of wrapping useless analysis around a "tip" that Modrak is moving on. Maybe another team is interested or he just wants to do something else. It's something to keep an eye on.

I'll have some of what he's drinkin' :(

This might be a case of wrapping useless analysis around a "tip" that Modrak is moving on. Maybe another team is interested or he just wants to do something else. It's something to keep an eye on.

Absolutely. I was just more so commenting about the "State of the Bills" that came out of the article.

Of course. And John Guy is responsible for the pro scouting (free agents) and Modrak is responsible for the college scouting (draft) so this little tidbit makes barely a tidbit of sense.

More flatuance from folks who don't follow the team front office enough to know what they're writing about.

As to Dockery, he was rated on par with Dielman by most personnel evaluators, so all the "overpaid" comments for Marv must apply to AJ Smith as well since he gave out about the same money.