Who sees Green Bay trading up with us in the draft?

Oh........hi LSI........what might happen?

I know GB might want to trade with us to get a RB, but I don't see it ahppening. We have a great chance to land either a really good LB (Patrick Willis) or DT (Amobi Okoye). I think that unless GB make us a really good offer we won't drop down 4 spots. We might lose our chance to get a really good player. But after all, Marv always surprises us. He might take a guy that not one of us saw coming (ex Whitner) and it turns out to be a great pick. Marv likes guys with a lot character and it's turn out to be a huge positive.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tipster, regarding the RB situation, I'm beginning to think the same thing. Same goes for the CB situation. What if, in fact, our braintrust is "comfortable" with both positions? Look at last years drafting strategy and this years FA strategy. They seem to acquire by position in bunches. We draft 2 safeties and a corner in 3 of the first 4 rounds of last years draft. We draft 2 DT with a 1st and 5th while acquiring Tripplett. Kind of done in bunches, no?

This years FA they identify a need, OL, and promptly sign 3 right off the bat on the first day.

Could THIS be their strategy this year? Do we swap 1sts with GB? Do we select Willis @ 16 then move back into the 1st and take Poszluzny?

This doesnt mean we ignore the RB or CB positions, just that we select them later in the draft. My feeling is we still can get our quality RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Bottom line, ML and DJ may not feel as empty as some here do at certain positions.

I like this idea never really thought about it till now....and Did'nt Marv get Conlan and Bennett in the same draft?

Here's what I do know. A-Train is still here, McGahee is gone. Nate Clements was tagged last year but was promised that he wouldn't be this year and now he's gone also. Spikes make some noise when the new administration took over and now he's speculated to be the next player gone. Fletcher-Baker is 32 yrs old and didn't attack the line of scrimmage and now he's gone. Does anybody dispute that the above is not factual? Good.

To answer your question Kelly, I never said nor implied that Jauron thought A-Train is a BETTER RB than McGoofey. I just think that DJ LIKES A-Train ALOT and as far as what DJ thinks of McGahee, well, draw your own conclusions. As far as DJ playing McGahee and sitting A-Train, there could be several different reasons. The most obvious reason is that McGahee is the better RB and I have no problem agreeing with that. What I do believe though is between the money, attitude and ability, Marv & Co. did not think that McGahee was the better RB for us in the future. Once again let me point out that A-Train is here and McGahee is gone.

What you said was, "I think that people should realize just how much Jauron really likes A-Train. Whenever DJ has been in power, A-Train has been his guy". And it's just not true. But I am really not responding so much to you, but rather to any random members of Tard Nation that truly believes Dick Jauron thinks A Train is capable of doing as well as someone Tard Nation thinks is abysmal, stupid, doesn't try, cannot see or hit a hole, and sucks to abnormous levels.

I expect A-Train to get somewheres in the area of 35-40% ? of the carries and Fred Jackson getting a opportunity to see what he can do. Based on Jackson's production will determine his percentage of carries. Realistically there will be a RBBC and most likely a drafted RB will get carries as well.

Here's a scenario that wouldn't surprise me. The Bills draft a RB that has the potential to increase his role each year but only being relied on this year as a 3rd down/change of pace RB. This could also where Shaud Williams fits in. Fred Jackson, if he does indeed prove worthy, runs on 1st and 2nd down between the 20 yd lines and A-Train is the red zone RB. I think that the RB that is drafted has the cosmetics to possibly fill in as more of a primary RB if indeed Jackson is not capable of fulfilling this role.

..........What strikes me as funny is now that the trade is over, nobody seems to dispute the trade. Where are the ones who didn't want the trade now? I was all for it right from jumpstreet. Matter of fact, I was all for it BEFORE the talk, check my posts.

I didn't want the trade. I figured that we have other areas of need & trading WM(a decent starter) probably creates another area of need while the draft picks we got.....based on odds....probably won't produce a starter caliber player as good as WM.

That being said......I fully understand that had we kept him, he may have been a large distraction due to contract demands.....& even if not, he was likely gone after next season with nothing in return.

Basically, I trust that the front office knew more about the situation than I did.

They are in serious need of a RB. We can also use one as a compliment, they need a primary. They can trade in front of us but the cost would escalate considerably. I can't see them risking Lynch being taken before their pick. I expect us to let it be known come draft time that we're willing to trade down. I would be willing to sacrifice the likes of Willis, Akoye and others to slide back just a few slots and still be able to draft a quality CB and be able to add to our first day picks. In the right deal we could still possibly trade back into the 1st rd and take LB Paul Posluszny. Of course this scenario would be based on Peterson being taken before the 12th pick. Would anyone disagree about trading down a few slots if the compensation allowed us such a scenario?

I might agree with the trade down, but not in the scenario you made. If either Akoye or Peterson are there at #12 we take them of them. Case closed. If not, maybe we trade back and hope for Willis or a CB.

I might agree with the trade down, but not in the scenario you made. If either Akoye or Peterson are there at #12 we take them of them. Case closed. If not, maybe we trade back and hope for Willis or a CB.

I totally agree with these thoughts.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are targeting Okoye.....he seems the perfect type of DT for the Tampa 2. I would guess Anderson was re-signed in case all else fails.....i.e. we don't get Okoye....nor a lower draftee DT......nor one of the FAs. It looks to me that the FA DT movement has been so slow due to the quantity of decent DTs in this draft.

You're not actually thinking and implying that Dick Jauron thought Anthony Thomas was as good or better than Willis McGahee but didn't play him more, or virtually at all, just because the fans loved Willis McGahee are you? Jauron loves A Train and still wouldn't play him.

He put the guy on the field that he thought gave the Bills the best chance to win at the time. In the end, the Bills decided that even he (Willis) was not good enough for one reason or another. Hopefully the upgrade is coming soon.

Yeah, that Ozzie Newsome. What an idiot he is. Hall of Famer. Executive of the Year. Super Bowl winner as GM.

http://baltimoreravens.com/includes/bio.js...mp;personType=1

First round picks:

1996 Jonathan Ogden, Ray Lewis

1997 Peter Bouleware

1998 Duane Starks

1999 Chris McAlister

2000 Jamal Lewis, Travis Taylor

2001 Todd Heap

2002 Ed Reed

2003 Terrell Suggs

2004 Kyle Boller (1993 but traded the 2004 pick)

2005 Mark Clayton

2006 Haloti Ngata

Way to go out on a limb with these 1st rounders. SB year aside, where the D was alltime sick and didn't need the O, show me a bigtime offense from any of "Mr. Wonderfuls" teams. OH WAIT!! Here comes WILLIS to save the day. Please....... An aging D, QB, OL and an underwhelming RB. Kudos Ozzie.

I've said this before, the Bills RB whomever it may be will have a better YPC than Willis.

Here's what I do know. A-Train is still here, McGahee is gone. Nate Clements was tagged last year but was promised that he wouldn't be this year and now he's gone also. Spikes made some noise when the new administration took over and now he's speculated to be the next player gone. Fletcher-Baker is 32 yrs old and didn't attack the line of scrimmage and now he's gone. Does anybody dispute that the above is not factual? Good.

To answer your question Kelly, I never said nor implied that Jauron thought A-Train is a BETTER RB than McGoofey. I just think that DJ LIKES A-Train ALOT and as far as what DJ thinks of McGahee, well, draw your own conclusions. As far as DJ playing McGahee and sitting A-Train, there could be several different reasons. The most obvious reason is that McGahee is the better RB and I have no problem agreeing with that. What I do believe though is between the money, attitude and ability, Marv & Co. did not think that McGahee was the better RB for us in the future. Once again let me point out that A-Train is here and McGahee is gone.

A Train is the better value at RB.

YOu get similar production to Willis but at a fraction of the cost.

Bills will probably wait to see which RB drops to the 3rd round with Lorenzo Booker (speed) or Brandon Jackson as the backup plan.

They are in serious need of a RB. We can also use one as a compliment, they need a primary. They can trade in front of us but the cost would escalate considerably. I can't see them risking Lynch being taken before their pick. I expect us to let it be known come draft time that we're willing to trade down. I would be willing to sacrifice the likes of Willis, Akoye and others to slide back just a few slots and still be able to draft a quality CB and be able to add to our first day picks. In the right deal we could still possibly trade back into the 1st rd and take LB Paul Posluszny. Of course this scenario would be based on Peterson being taken before the 12th pick. Would anyone disagree about trading down a few slots if the compensation allowed us such a scenario?

I think you make great points. The Bills should go this direction.

You would pass up on Peterson in the draft to take Pos. Since they are both needs, but AP is rated higher, you have to go with Petersen. AP is a franchise back and the best one in the draft. How could you even think of passing him up for a much lower rated player.

* In the right deal we could still possibly trade back into the 1st rd and take LB Paul Posluszny. Of course this scenario would be based on Peterson being taken before the 12th pick.

I feel that we could still address our needs at LB and CB if we were to trade back just a few slots. If Peterson is still available at the #12 pick then of course we take him. I didn't mention DT not because it's not a need but because I feel that the Bills will resolve this concern before the draft.

I can see a few teams trading up with us not just GB. I can tell you now that if Cleveland dont take Peterson, there is going to be alot of teams wanting to trade up to try and get him, so that could either help us or hurt us....more then likely help. But if GB trades up with another team before us to get Peterson, question becomes who wants to trade up with us at the 12th spot?

I still keep looking at what the Bears have. They have the 31st pick I think and maybe the 35th overall, thats almost like having 2 first rounders. I could see Buffalo trading with them to get those 2 picks so the Bears could have a shot at Patrick Willis. Due to Briggs sitting out.