Who sees Green Bay trading up with us in the draft?

They are in serious need of a RB. We can also use one as a compliment, they need a primary. They can trade in front of us but the cost would escalate considerably. I can't see them risking Lynch being taken before their pick. I expect us to let it be known come draft time that we're willing to trade down. I would be willing to sacrifice the likes of Willis, Akoye and others to slide back just a few slots and still be able to draft a quality CB and be able to add to our first day picks. In the right deal we could still possibly trade back into the 1st rd and take LB Paul Posluszny. Of course this scenario would be based on Peterson being taken before the 12th pick. Would anyone disagree about trading down a few slots if the compensation allowed us such a scenario?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are in serious need of a RB. We can also use one as a compliment, they need a primary. They can trade in front of us but the cost would escalate considerably. I can't see them risking Lynch being taken before their pick. I expect us to let it be known come draft time that we're willing to trade down. I would be willing to sacrifice the likes of Willis, Akoye and others to slide back just a few slots and still be able to draft a quality CB and be able to add to our first day picks. In the right deal we could still possibly trade back into the 1st rd and take LB Paul Posluszny. Of course this scenario would be based on Peterson being taken before the 12th pick. Would anyone disagree about trading down a few slots if the compensation allowed us such a scenario?

If Peterson is there at #12, hell yeah trade. There are other good backs in this draft. While one player can make a difference, think of how much faster two or three may. Yes, definetely possible.

you're kidding yourself if you think the Bills dont need a primary RB just as bad if not more then the Packers...I like A.Thomas but not as a starter, this team needs a playmaker in the backfield

I am also starting to think Marv and company are willing to go into next season with Youboty and K.Thomas at CB in place of Clements and then draft one in the 3rd or 4th round

unless the Bills decide to finally cut ties with Spikes I dont see them taking Willis at 12 either

Althiugh anything is possible with Marv in this draft, I think that people should realize just how much Jauron really likes A-Train. Whenever DJ has been in power, A-Train has been his guy and there hasn't been anything said that would make you doubt that since we traded McGahee. I don't even expect us to draft a RB in the 2nd rd, unless we make a trade that gives us one later in that rd. I look for us to grab a RB with one of our 3rd rders. Someone posted a link on Fred Jackson's bio. This guy could really be the X factor in this whole RB situation. Looks like Marv really likes this guy.

While the Bills still have a few holes to plug, they need to get an impact player or two. Their roster is filling out to an extent with guys that are solid, but if you're gonna win, you need a back and another receiver on the roster that can make plays. They also need an impact player at DT and Linebacker. I'd rather see them use the 12th pick to get one of those guys and maybe even package an extra pick or two to move up higher in the 2nd round if another impact player is there.

Althiugh anything is possible with Marv in this draft, I think that people should realize just how much Jauron really likes A-Train. Whenever DJ has been in power, A-Train has been his guy and there hasn't been anything said that would make you doubt that since we traded McGahee. I don't even expect us to draft a RB in the 2nd rd, unless we make a trade that gives us one later in that rd. I look for us to grab a RB with one of our 3rd rders. Someone posted a link on Fred Jackson's bio. This guy could really be the X factor in this whole RB situation. Looks like Marv really likes this guy.

Tipster, regarding the RB situation, I'm beginning to think the same thing. Same goes for the CB situation. What if, in fact, our braintrust is "comfortable" with both positions? Look at last years drafting strategy and this years FA strategy. They seem to acquire by position in bunches. We draft 2 safeties and a corner in 3 of the first 4 rounds of last years draft. We draft 2 DT with a 1st and 5th while acquiring Tripplett. Kind of done in bunches, no?

This years FA they identify a need, OL, and promptly sign 3 right off the bat on the first day.

Could THIS be their strategy this year? Do we swap 1sts with GB? Do we select Willis @ 16 then move back into the 1st and take Poszluzny?

This doesnt mean we ignore the RB or CB positions, just that we select them later in the draft. My feeling is we still can get our quality RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Bottom line, ML and DJ may not feel as empty as some here do at certain positions.

If we were able to slide back to the 16th pick and be able to select Willis, trade back into the 1st rd and then take Posluszny AND draft a worthy 3rd rd RB, I would say that we pretty much had a successful draft. Everything after that would be icing on the cake.

I respectfully disagree Tip Man. MaGahee is a much better back than Thomas. I think that under any conditions, the RB position must be seriously addressed in this draft. It shouldn't be so hard with an improved OL. In fact, every phase of this football team will benefit from an improved OL. The team will have a different character, especially at home.

That said, I am all for trading down, unless there is a non defensive back that the staff is very high on. Trading down could net us more first day picks this year and next. Early picks stand a better chance of bringing more talent to Buffalo at many positions, to include LB, RB, TE, CB, and anywhere else we need help, and yes, I would like to see depth added to our already strengthened OL.

Tipster, regarding the RB situation, I'm beginning to think the same thing. Same goes for the CB situation. What if, in fact, our braintrust is "comfortable" with both positions? Look at last years drafting strategy and this years FA strategy. They seem to acquire by position in bunches. We draft 2 safeties and a corner in 3 of the first 4 rounds of last years draft. We draft 2 DT with a 1st and 5th while acquiring Tripplett. Kind of done in bunches, no?

This years FA they identify a need, OL, and promptly sign 3 right off the bat on the first day.

Could THIS be their strategy this year? Do we swap 1sts with GB? Do we select Willis @ 16 then move back into the 1st and take Poszluzny?

This doesnt mean we ignore the RB or CB positions, just that we select them later in the draft. My feeling is we still can get our quality RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Bottom line, ML and DJ may not feel as empty as some here do at certain positions.

CB and RB are arguably our 2 LARGEST needs right now. no way are the Bills "comfortable" with those positions. we only have 4 CBs and 2 RBs on the roster. we need to add 2 more serious contenders at each position.

i agree with taking Willis at 12. but then we should follow that with the best CB/RB with the next 2 picks, depending on who is left at each.

CB and RB are arguably our 2 LARGEST needs right now. no way are the Bills "comfortable" with those positions. we only have 4 CBs and 2 RBs on the roster. we need to add 2 more serious contenders at each position.

i agree with taking Willis at 12. but then we should follow that with the best CB/RB with the next 2 picks, depending on who is left at each.

I understand where you're coming from DrDank, I'm merely trying to get into their minds. I don't necassarily agree with the path I laid out either. Maybe I'm totally off base, but there seems to be a pattern when they decide to plug a hole. Perhaps the greater holes are at RB and CB, and I wouldn't argue that, but is this what THEY think?

I understand where you're coming from DrDank, I'm merely trying to get into their minds. I don't necassarily agree with the path I laid out either. Maybe I'm totally off base, but there seems to be a pattern when they decide to plug a hole. Perhaps the greater holes are at RB and CB, and I wouldn't argue that, but is this what THEY think?

ah, fair enough. but i sure HOPE they think it too... :lol:

Do you guys really think the best LB in the draft falls all the way to 16?

Detroit, Washington, and Atlanta want an inside linebacker.

Detroit picks too early to take LB.

Washington has other problems (defensive end, defensive tackle), and Branch, Okoye, Adams, and Anderson are still there.

Atlanta needs their free safety and defensive end, and Landry, Adams and/or Anderson are ranked higher than Willis.

Do you guys really think the best LB in the draft falls all the way to 16?

That is a very good question. The best I can do in terms of an answer is to say that times change.

In the past, safeties used to be low round picks. Guards were almost an afterthought. In 06, the Bills took the 2nd ranked Safety who is on the small side with a #8, and Guards are now getting 50 million dollar contracts.

I predict that the draft value chart will also change, and that 4 spots are going to cost more in terms of a trade up. Dropping 4 spots in round 1 could bring us first day picks (probably 3rd rounders) in both 07 and 08. You know why? Because it is 03/15 and the quality free agents are all but gone. How else can teams build? Where can they get the player they think that they need to push them over the hump?

Take my prediction with a huge grain of salt. I have been wrong numerous times, but I am thinking that the Bills are in a great position to truly load up with early picks and build a great football team if things go right.

We shall see, but I will never stop hoping.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Detroit, Washington, and Atlanta want an inside linebacker.

Detroit picks too early to take LB.

Washington has other problems (defensive end, defensive tackle), and Branch, Okoye, Adams, and Anderson are still there.

Atlanta needs their free safety and defensive end, and Landry, Adams and/or Anderson are ranked higher than Willis.

Though I don't see Adams falling to 12, what if Anderson does and to a lesser degree, Landry? We don't have a need at safety but someone would want to jump up for him I'd think. Would Anderson be a no-brainer considering other needs?

I apologize if I ever gave the impression in this post or any other posts that A-Train is a better RB than McGahee. I don't believe anyone else ever thought that either. What Marv is creating in our team is all about attitude and chemistry. I think that the players that are gone or soon to be, have not met the criteria that this administration is looking for. I never doubted the ability of these players, just their mindsets. Would this seem valid?

I agree with what billsoverdue said about us drafting/accumalating in bunches. Nice point billsoverdue. Right now we have four first day picks, I expect that we use 3 of them on defense and one on a RB. I think WR, TE/HB and any other positions will be addressed on day 2. Does this sound reasonable?

You could replace Green Bay with Buffalo and whatever you said would be true.