Rhodes to visit Buffalo tomorrow

I don't think he is the answer at all. I think his price tag is going to be too high for his overrated talent. He should have been the SB MVP and I think that will translate into a contract of that approaches the one that Ahman Green and T-Hen have recieved. I think this is too much $$$ for a RB who has averaged 3/ypc in 05 and 3.4/ypc last year. I would prefer A-Train and a 1st day draft pick.

perfectly said

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I expected the Giants to make a deal for Tatum Bell to pair with Brandon Jacobs. A-Train/Rhodes would be a vanilla version of that duo, the difference is that we will be investing a early pick for our successor.

Do you mean that the Giants would trade for Willis McGahee? T. Bell just got traded to the Lions.

Personally, I would rather have a backfield consisting of Brandon Jacobs and Willis McGahee than Dominic Rhodes and Anthony Thomas...the one thing Rhodes has that the Bills lack right now, and seem to desire, is a pass catching back. That has was a big part of the Rams offense when Fairchild was in St Louis. Coming out of college, I remember Willis being compared to Marshall Faulk. I haven't seen it. Maybe the Bills just didn't throw to him enough, because they couldn't?

I thought Thomas Jones would have been a nice fit for us....but we all know how that went.

Cool I like rhodes if he's a backup much prefered over atrain

But I recall hearing that one of the reasons he's shopping himself around is that he'd like to be the feature back for a team.

I sure like how he came off the bench in the playoffs. He was a dominant key in the Indy win over Baltimore and was a key part of managing the clock against NE on some important drives. He got hot at the right time in his contract year.

Do you mean that the Giants would trade for Willis McGahee? T. Bell just got traded to the Lions.

Talk of Bell to Giants:

March 4, 2007

Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 10:52 PM ET | Link

GIANTS WANT TATUM BELL?: There are rumors percolating in Detroit that the Giants are interested in Lions' recently acquired RB Tatum Bell. Detroit got Bell in the trade for Dre Bly last week, but the possibility of trading him wasn't ruled out. Now there are strong rumblings that New York wants the ultra-quick tailback to pair up with Brandon Jacobs.

I never really thought the Giants were a fit for Willis McGahee. He and Jacobs are one in the same in terms of type of back. Big, physical, not the back that could possibly bust one for a TD every time he touches the ball. Bell however, can do that. I believe that's what the Giants are looking for.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Thanks daninator, that's exactly what I was inferring to. Jacobs/Bell is more of a thunder and lightning combination than a McGahee/Jacobs pairing. That's what I believe that an A-Train/Rhodes combo provide but to a lesser degree.

New England won a Super Bowl with Antowain Smith and Tampa with Michael Pittman recently. As long as Dom can be serviceable (exceed 1,000 yards) and bring a positive attitude to the table, he'd be a fine replacement for McGahee. Great backs don't win titles. Ask the Chargers.

For all the original talk that we weren't going to be players in free agency, I have been impressed. Marv is shuffling out guys on the decline and bringing in guys who have a chance for some upside still. I have no problem giving them this year to solidify, then making a jump next year for the big show. Rhodes can be a decent #1. I don't even think you need to draft a RB if he comes in. We have Shaud Williams as a scat type. If you package our 4th and Willis for a decent 2nd....go crazy on D with our draft picks and see what happens. Rhodes is sort of like Biron....he's great insurance and still might be capable of being a quality starter.

Rhodes was only marginally productive in one of the greatest passing offenses of all time. He is NOT, I reapeat, NOT a number 1 back. Hopefully Marv won't overpay for this guy - for some reason this front office is willing to shell out mega-contracts for players no one else wants (Price, Walker, Reed, etc.). The only positive that Rhodes' signing might suggest is that they truly are committed to spending a first day pick on a back.

This is the insurance that Buffalo needs. A-Train will be re-signed and someone like Rhodes to compliment him. When the draft rolls around expect us to be selecting our RB of the future.

I expected the Giants to make a deal for Tatum Bell to pair with Brandon Jacobs. A-Train/Rhodes would be a vanilla version of that duo, the difference is that we will be investing a early pick for our successor.

That's exactly why they would sign Rhodes. He really isn't a #1, but would provide them with some insurance and allow them to go ahead with trading McGahee before the draft. Should the RB they want be unavailable, at least they would have a veteran RB with some starting experience and with the recieving skills they seem to want out of a RB. He would more or less be the Bills' version of Kevin Faulk of the Patriots.

The only disagreement that I have is that I do not expect them to re-sign Anthony Thomas in this scenario.

Rhodes wants to go somewhere to be a starter. This kind of worries me, he is a great guy off the bench but would Marv pay this guy who just won the Super Bowl and should have been the MVP top dollar to be change of pace back.

He will want a lucrative deal and I have a bad feeling that we may dig down and over pay him. The guy has been in the league 7 years already and has never shouldered a full load. This to me means we will be going LB or Corner with the first pick. Which I am all for. But I just dont want to pay a guy because he just won the Super Bowl.

San Francisco hosted a visit with Patriots free agent linebacker Tully Banta-Cain

why dont we try this guy he would be a good ST guy and maybe can start at LB

Rhodes about time we try for rb.

Tully played in a 3-4 scheme and is looking to play for a team with similar scheme. He has visited the Steelers a few days ago. He always played well against us.

For all those contemplating Rhodes as our #1 back, he's not that kind of player:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/236986

As much as people are clamoring for defense as the first pick, I'm starting to get the feeling it may end up being Marshawn Lynch. McGahee then goes to the highest bidder (anywhere from a 2nd through 4th round pick). This team wants to move forward and I think they've made up their mind on getting McGahee out of here. Plus, M. Bush probably won't be there in the 2nd when we pick on account of his stock is supposed to rocket after his pro day. Just a feeling I have on this one.

If we go RB in the first, I see 2 LBs and a CB as our next three picks not neccessarily in that order.

Is Rhodes the character guy that Levy is seeking? Isn't he in trouble with a DWI or something?

I think lot of people have confused character guy with DUI (what is DWI ?) and arrests....I think Marv Levys idea of character guys are those who play as a team and are committed towards the team. Guys who will give 110% effort.

Bruce Smith got into legal troubles, but on game day, he was not selfish, he played as part of that team....He was a Marv Levy guy.

Marv would have loved to sign back London Fletcher...He was a team first guy, but unfortunately he does not fit in the scheme run by Jauron.

The reason McGahee is considered not a Marv Levy type character are for those reasons. McGahee does not work out in Buffalo during the off season along with his team mates.

If Rhodes fits into the team-first approach (which seemed to be the case in Indy), Marv will definitely consider him.