Its 4th quarter

Differences between last years outcome and this years outcome?

- Last year....teams load up to stop the run and dare Losman to beat them.....offensive line doesn't give the protection needed and we have to pass so we lose

THIS YEAR

- We dont pass one time in the drive.....except for the winning score with Lee Evans wide open......every play is a mauling run first down first down first down TOUCHDOWN

And our defense is hooting and hollering it up on the sideline

Thoughts?

Indeed. Let me also flip it for you. :

4th Quarter, on the road, Bills are down by 4. They need a critical stop with 3 minutes left. Who makes the play?

The run defense is porous. Secondary is very young...

- Last year....teams load up to stop the run and dare Losman to beat them.....offensive line doesn't give the protection needed and we have to pass so we lose

THIS YEAR

- We dont pass one time in the drive.....except for the winning score with Lee Evans wide open......every play is a mauling run first down first down first down TOUCHDOWN

Thoughts?

4th Quarter, on the road, Bills are down by 4. They need a critical stop with 3 minutes left. Who makes the play?

They've been upable to come up with those stops for 8 years now, even when the D was ranked #1 or 2 in the league.

the same person who let Jax complete a long downfield pass to move into scoring position to win the game with under a minute remaining. oh wait, nate's gone.

ok, then the LB's who were in position to knock down the pass to prevent Jax from scoring and winning the game on the last play. oh wait, London and Posey are gone and Wire isnt playing safety anymore...

"They need a critical stop with 3 minutes left. Who makes the play?"

We had that problem last year, too. Against the Titans, they ran, ran, ran, WITH THE WIND. We had to call TO our defense was reeling so bad. Then they scored anyway.

I love our O-Line moves. We still have the draft and some more time to do something about run stopping. The guys we let go couldn't stop the run last year, why do you think they woulda been able to next year?

Defense plays up their safties and gears everything towards stoping the run....KNOWING that if they get beat deep the bills have a offensive line good enough to mix up pass and run to score 7 intead of 3 on the next drive

Also....because our offense has been on the field all day with their running game we have a fresh defense in the 4th quarter to make that needed stop.

:rolleyes:

They've been upable to come up with those stops for 8 years now, even when the D was ranked #1 or 2 in the league.

that's true...i haven't seen the Bills come up with many good stops on 3rd or 4th and short since the days of shane conlan

Thoughts?

John, you're thinking too much.

4th down 1 to go on the Patriots 7. We're up by 10 and we need a first to effectively put the game away...

They were really terrible against the run last year and the well coached teams that they faced(Indy, Tennessee) wisely just ran it down their throat when they needed to.

But the Bills did win 7 games in 2006 and in 4 of them they got a very late defensive stop. Minnesota, which ran out of time in the redzone. GB, when Simpson picked off Favre's ill advised goal line pass in the endzone. And the back-to-back late game stops against Houston and Jacksonville that allowed Losman and co. just enough time to secure a last second come-from-behind victory.

The theme in those wins were teams that were throwing the football against the Bills defense. Also, note the quality of those teams HC's: three rookies and the meathead that hired "Meathead".

They were really terrible against the run last year and the well coached teams that they faced(Indy, Tennessee) wisely just ran it down their throat when they needed to.

But the Bills did win 7 games in 2006 and in 4 of them they got a very late defensive stop. Minnesota, which ran out of time in the redzone. GB, when Simpson picked off Favre's ill advised goal line pass in the endzone. And the back-to-back late game stops against Houston and Jacksonville that allowed Losman and co. just enough time to secure a last second come-from-behind victory.

The theme in those wins were teams that were throwing the football against the Bills defense. Also, note the quality of those teams HC's: three rookies and the meathead that hired "Meathead".

You really make a good point here. The truth of the matter is, we should have lost the Minnesota game. I don't remember the exact details of the play, but Johnson had (I think) Marcus Robinson wide open down the right sideline for six to take the lead near the end. I think it went off Robinson's fingers, but either way you could see the play developing and you thought to yourself "Crap. Not again." Alternately, the Colts killed us on the ground for the last six minutes of that game. Many argue that if Lindell hit that field goal, the Colts still would have scored...and I can't disagree with that point. As it was, they hit the ground with a one-point lead and put us away, and it was a painful thing to watch.

This post right here captures the essence of what is wrong with the Bills fan base. We have a great optimistic post about the Bills future offense, and the "we have the worst defense" choads feel the need to piss all over everyone else's posts.

the same person who let Jax complete a long downfield pass to move into scoring position to win the game with under a minute remaining. oh wait, nate's gone.

ok, then the LB's who were in position to knock down the pass to prevent Jax from scoring and winning the game on the last play. oh wait, London and Posey are gone and Wire isnt playing safety anymore...

That game you are refering should have a PI call on the offense there. I would not lump that on nate. Besides nate did come up big in the end this past season. Not too mention that touchdown IIRC was questionable.

This post right here captures the essence of what is wrong with the Bills fan base. We have a great optimistic post about the Bills future offense, and the "we have the worst defense" choads feel the need to piss all over everyone else's posts.

couldnt agree more.

Kelsay, McCargo, Schobel, Hargrove, Tripplett, Williams, Denney, and either Okoye/ Branch allows for our best defensive line rotation in years.

Better rotation = fresher bodies playing against tired fat guys.

I don't have the stats but I believe the Bills seemed to improved against the run as the games went on.

P.S. Please feel free to subsitute Patrick Willis for the rookie DTs if you want. :rolleyes:

That game you are refering should have a PI call on the offense there. I would not lump that on nate. Besides nate did come up big in the end this past season. Not too mention that touchdown IIRC was questionable.

on that deep ball, the WR was going for the ball, Nate turned in time just to see it go by him and into the hands of the WR.

Nate came up big this season. im not taking anything away from that. but all im saying is that we are hardly dismantling the "greatest defense in the league" or anything like that.

we are a CB, a LB and maybe a DT away from being just as good, if not better than, last year's D.

yes we have some big holes, but there are only a few of them.

:P Late-game stop against Jacksonville?

Are you referring to the game in which Jacksonville took over with 2:58 left from their own 38, and our defense allowed them to go 62 yards in 2:30 to score the game-tying touchdown with 34 seconds left? You're right, a truly heroic defensive effort. :rolleyes:

"(:34) 9-D.Garrard pass short right to 18-M.Jones for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught 3 yds. into end zone, along right sideline.

10-J.Scobee extra point is GOOD, Center-88-J.Zelenka, Holder-2-C.Hanson.

JAX 24 BUF 24, 11 plays, 62 yards, 2:30 drive, 14:32 elapsed"

link

Fortunately, our offense was able to get into position for the game-winning field goal, despite taking over with only 22 seconds left.

Kelsay, McCargo, Schobel, Hargrove, Tripplett, Williams, Denney, and either Okoye/ Branch allows for our best defensive line rotation in years.

Better rotation = fresher bodies playing against tired fat guys.

I don't have the stats but I believe the Bills seemed to improved against the run as the games went on.

P.S. Please feel free to subsitute Patrick Willis for the rookie DTs if you want. :rolleyes:

It's not just the rotation, it's the scheme. The Bills DL play one gap, which means they don't spend the entire day in a wrestling match with guys that outweigh them by 50 lbs.. While they were weak against the run from start to finish, they were always ready to rush the passer, even after already having given up 150 on the ground. As we found out, there are a lot of teams that can't stick to the run, even when they are getting nearly 5 yards a pop.

THIS YEAR

Thoughts?

I don't see us ahead in the 4th quarter now at home, let alone on the road unless the defense plays ALOT better with younger and/or unproven guys who have yet to make this roster! CB and MLB have yet to be filled. I was hoping we'd keep Nate but this defense will struggle all year unless Youboty proves to be just as good as Winfield or Clements when they were rookies. Yes, he still is a rookie, IMO.

Must be really fun around your house.

"Okay, kids, what don't we wanna do today?!"

"Remember son, you can't grow up to be President, or anything for that matter."

"Work hard, sweetie, treat people good, and they will crap all over you."

"The glass is either half empty or completely empty."

"The constitution promises us death, imprisonment, and the pursuit of unhappiness."

:rolleyes:

This is about next year's football season for the Buffalo Bills.

Not life.. am I pessimistic about the defense? You bet.

Must be really fun around your house.

"Okay, kids, what don't we wanna do today?!"

"Remember son, you can't grow up to be President, or anything for that matter."

"Work hard, sweetie, treat people good, and they will crap all over you."

"The glass is either half empty or completely empty."

"The constitution promises us death, imprisonment, and the pursuit of unhappiness."

THIS YEAR

Thoughts?

It's optimistic, but realistic? It's possible but a lot has to happen. Our offensive line obvviously needs to demonstrate consistently that they can do their job throughout the game. As we know last year, I thought we had more problems getting the first down on third and short than almost any team in the NFL. Hopefully that will change because our defense took a step back because of the loss in the middle of the defense with London Fletcher. This is why I am leaning towards Wills or Paul P. in the draft.