Folks, Let's Get Realistic

Yep. Because if it happens, you expected it, and actually feel smart because you predicted it. If it doesn't, you're pleasantly surprised and can say "I'm SO glad I was wrong!"

On the flip side you can always be positive and if things don't go well you can say, "At least I BILLIEVED!" and think to yourself how you're a "better" fan than those that look at the team without the rose-colored glasses B-)

Well, I predicted some of this backlash. But, I'm just the messenger. Interesting that nobody liked this post, but aren't coming up with much to dispute the blunt facts of it.

Trust me, it doesn't make me happy to see this either. I'm as sick as the next Bills fan, if not more so.

What are the blunt facts Mr. Messenger? Half the players you mentioned are still under contract.

- We played a completely new look last year with several players not meant for the systems we play

- It seem like Marv is actually trying to make major additions to the offensive line, an area that has severally hampered this team for the last decade

- The Bills started more rookies then any team in football last season, and are one of the youngest teams in football

- We have a QB who finally started to get things after the bye

Maybe you’re not getting any real responses because this is the same regurgitated doomsday scenario we hear all the time from people "telling it like it is". It’s certainly not all roses but you, me, and the rest of this board have no fuggin clue how 2007 will play out.

Every single year people start threads like this one and every single year a boat load of people jump all over him...and every year the thread starter ends up being right.

Hey, stop interfering with a perfectly good, old-fashioned, off-season beatdown.

Okay, I keep hearing the eternal optimists on this board trying to spin, slant, and twist everything that is going on in a positive light. But, folks, let's get realistic. . .

Losing Clements, Fletcher-Baker, Spikes, McGahee, K. Thomas with little or nothing back cannot be a good thing. Trying to plug in the Ellisons, Anthony Thomases, Youboutys, etc. of the world is simply not going to work effectively. This is being done to improve the lines you say? Jason Whittle? Huhn? I don't like the trade-off.

We likely will have to spend a high pick on a CB and MLB in the draft just to plug holes (1st and 2nd?). How is this improvement? We aren't even treading water. We are sinking.

The cash to cap philosophy is going to hamstring this team, as are some very curious FA signings (and releases) Matt Bowen anyone? Whittle's odds of being released next offseason are likely 50-50, based on history. Not to mention the overpaying of Peerless Price, Josh Reed, Kelsay, and Royal. Those guys aren't worth what they're getting.

Bottom line is: When you handicap yourself by about 15% regarding the cap (cash to cap), then make bad personnel decisions, you cannot compete. And folks, this team will not compete next year, (barring incredible luck) for any playoff spot.

We're now just hoping to get lucky. . . that's what we are resigned to.

Let me play devil's advocate:

McGahee = less than 1000 yards 2006 (hasn't come close to self-acclaimed "greatness" billing)

Fletcher = played MLB for one of the worst teams at run defense (most of those yards gained were up the middle)

Spikes = we haven't had Spikes since September 2005

Clements = played like a pro bowler second half of 2006, was only an average player the season and a half prior

Also remember that the Patriots were a group of nobodys before they became a great "team". This looks to be the blueprint over at One Bills Drive. No more "stars", just a bunch of guys that shut up, listen and play hard on Sunday. Make no mistake, there will be a learning curve for the new players that are coming on board. But we've gone the "star" route with TD, I'm willing to wait and see what the new FAs and rookies bring to the table.

Of the previous purge from recent seasons, only Pat Williams was really missed. Was Moulds, Milloy, Vincent, Adams or Bledsoe missed? If those guys you mentioned were so great why was our defense such a disaster? Got to have some patience, there still will be plenty of reasons to believe this team will improves in 2007.

Okay, I keep hearing the eternal optimists on this board trying to spin, slant, and twist everything that is going on in a positive light. But, folks, let's get realistic. . .

Losing Clements, Fletcher-Baker, Spikes, McGahee, K. Thomas with little or nothing back cannot be a good thing. Trying to plug in the Ellisons, Anthony Thomases, Youboutys, etc. of the world is simply not going to work effectively. This is being done to improve the lines you say? Jason Whittle? Huhn? I don't like the trade-off.

We likely will have to spend a high pick on a CB and MLB in the draft just to plug holes (1st and 2nd?). How is this improvement? We aren't even treading water. We are sinking.

The cash to cap philosophy is going to hamstring this team, as are some very curious FA signings (and releases) Matt Bowen anyone? Whittle's odds of being released next offseason are likely 50-50, based on history. Not to mention the overpaying of Peerless Price, Josh Reed, Kelsay, and Royal. Those guys aren't worth what they're getting.

Bottom line is: When you handicap yourself by about 15% regarding the cap (cash to cap), then make bad personnel decisions, you cannot compete. And folks, this team will not compete next year, (barring incredible luck) for any playoff spot.

It 's a little premature to take this stance. Have you seen the opening day lineup for this upcoming season?

QUOTE(BenchBledsoe @ Mar 2 2007, 05:51 PM)

Well, I predicted some of this backlash. But, I'm just the messenger. Interesting that nobody liked this post, but aren't coming up with much to dispute the blunt facts of it.

Trust me, it doesn't make me happy to see this either. I'm as sick as the next Bills fan, if not more so.

What are the blunt facts Mr. Messenger? Half the players you mentioned are still under contract.

- We played a completely new look last year with several players not meant for the systems we play

- It seem like Marv is actually trying to make major additions to the offensive line, an area that has severally hampered this team for the last decade

- The Bills started more rookies then any team in football last season, and are one of the youngest teams in football

- We have a QB who finally started to get things after the bye

Maybe you’re not getting any real responses because this is the same regurgitated doomsday scenario we hear all the time from people "telling it like it is". It’s certainly not all roses but you, me, and the rest of this board have no fuggin clue how 2007 will play out.

Might I also add that the FACT is we have signed two G's as of this writing. One that should certainly be a very nice upgrade at LG (Dockery) and the other (Whittle) being quality depth or worse case training camp competition for other, younger G's. Also, FACT is we will not "release" Whittle next off season. He signed a 1 yr contract to play/compete for 1 year. If we want we can try to sign him again. Not a huge risk.

Spikes = still on the team as of now. Fact. Regardless, why would they release him if they could not fit a better player for their D scheme for a much better price? Oh, they would not? Unless Marv turned into an idiot overnight.

Clements = Gone go to Draft or Youboty or K Thomas or FA signing for better value and improve the other positions in the D

Fletcher-Baker = will not be back most likely. Rnd 1 or 2 pick that better fits our D long-term and is younger. I love'd the guy but he is going to get huge jack from Washington that makes moving on to our 1st or 2nd rnd pick (P Willis or other) the better option for the team, IMHO.

McGahee = FACT is he is on our team. we will see if he pokes another baby momma while training hard in Miami but I bet it is 50-50 he says very nice things about the OLmoves in Buffalo and comes back for another year. His last. If not, we get a 4th or 3rd for him. I'd be happy with that and then take an RB in round 1 thru 4.

K Thomas = we will see. was nice depth so would need a pick or Fa signing to replace him but I have not heard he is signed by someone else yet although probably will. Answer for his loss (potential) is TBD.

FACT is Ellison played very well as a rookie and will get better. Last I looked the very highly touted Briggs and June options were not 1 st rounder but lower like him. Impossible to be a very good player and a pro bowler? No! Fact is the Bills brain trust feels the guy will be good. period. How good WILL he be? We don't know. So lets watch and enjoy!

Overpaying for P Price, Kelsay, Royal, Reed? The ONLY one that could cost us in the future b/c of the investment is Kelsay. While we might have over paid for those guys, FACT is they are relatively cheap allowing us to spend Cash To Cap. I'd be more worried about "great" signings like Dockery today. I love it but it is a huge investment that can hurt you later if injuries occur or play is not up to pay.

Am I saying we are definitely better? NO! But we very well could be and Marv has proved he can draft players that play and play pretty well. We shall see brother!

Peace! Go Bills!

How's this post looking now, b(i)tch!?!?!

If this OL is as good as advertised, you'd better sound the bomb claxon, it's going to be an aerial assault!

Man JSP, you're the last person who should jump in on this beatdown. The original post sounded almost identical to many that you've made.

Every single year people start threads like this one and every single year a boat load of people jump all over him...and every year the thread starter ends up being right.

That's BS!

Last season, there were all the doom & gloom merchants saying "no way will we improve"...."we will be lucky to win 3 games"....."JPL is a loser"....."Evans can't be a #1WR"......"we're gonna be the worst in the league"......"Clements is not a good CB"......"the draft was terrible, we'll be lucky to get 1 starter out of it".......etc, etc, etc

None of those things ended up being right.

can i remind you of this blog next year when the bills have an above 500 record???

western new yorkers are such pessimists

That's BS!

Last season, there were all the doom & gloom merchants saying "no way will we improve"...."we will be lucky to win 3 games"....."JPL is a loser"....."Evans can't be a #1WR"......"we're gonna be the worst in the league"......"Clements is not a good CB"......"the draft was terrible, we'll be lucky to get 1 starter out of it".......etc, etc, etc

None of those things ended up being right.

I posted the same elsewhere - nice to see someone's able to recognize the facts. There are far too many here unwilling, or unable to follow your example.