Lost a Bills Fan Today

bartshan-83

My grandfather suffered a massive stroke on Monday and passed away this morning. He was 85 years old and had battled some health problems the last few years, but he was doing relatively fine. Apparently, he had just finished lunch and was putting his dishes in the sink when he collapsed. The stroke caused a 100% blockage in his lower brain stem and he was in a coma breathing with a respirator. Thankfully, his living will was very clear that he did not want to be "kept alive" under any circumstances such as these, so my dad and his brother and sister were not left with the exceedingly painful task of trying to figure out what he would have wanted. They removed the respirator this morning and he died very peacefully.

He was from Buffalo (still lived in Williamsville) and is therefore the single most responsible person for leading me down this torturous path we all call being a Bills fan. I joked with my dad that he probably couldn't take seeing another highlight of "Wide Right" this week and decided it was time to check out before he had to endure another Super Bowl.

So I just wanted to share the loss of a great Bills fan with many others here whom I consider friends. I hope you all had a grandpa who was as fun, interesting and caring as mine.

RIP Grandpa. I'm sorry you never got to see the Bills hoist the Lombardi, but 2 AFL championships and being there to see Mike Stratton throttle Keith Lincoln must have been pretty cool. You will be greatly missed!

Rest in Peace

James Bart Shanahan

1921-2007

My grandfather suffered a massive stroke on Monday and passed away this morning. He was 85 years old and had battled some health problems the last few years, but he was doing relatively fine. Apparently, he had just finished lunch and was putting his dishes in the sink when he collapsed. The stroke caused a 100% blockage in his lower brain stem and he was in a coma breathing with a respirator. Thankfully, his living will was very clear that he did not want to be "kept alive" under any circumstances such as these, so my dad and his brother and sister were not left with the exceedingly painful task of trying to figure out what he would have wanted. They removed the respirator this morning and he died very peacefully.

He was from Buffalo (still lived in Williamsville) and is therefore the single most responsible person for leading me down this torturous path we all call being a Bills fan. I joked with my dad that he probably couldn't take seeing another highlight of "Wide Right" this week and decided it was time to check out before he had to endure another Super Bowl.

So I just wanted to share the loss of a great Bills fan with many others here whom I consider friends. I hope you all had a grandpa who was as fun, interesting and caring as mine.

RIP Grandpa. I'm sorry you never got to see the Bills hoist the Lombardi, but 2 AFL championships and being there to see Mike Stratton throttle Keith Lincoln must have been pretty cool. You will be greatly missed!

Rest in Peace

James Bart Shanahan

1921-2007

Just remember, he is going to place where Norwood drills it right down the middle 24/7/365!!! Just think of that. If i go tomorrow, I will see Norwood hitting that kick and James Patrick not hitting the crossbar into eternity!

Sorry for your loss, but great to hear he was in good health for the most part till the day his lord brought him home. May we all be so lucky

Rest in Peace

James Bart Shanahan

1921-2007

Bart...I was sorry to hear about your loss.....my familys prayers are with you

Rest in Peace

James Bart Shanahan

1921-2007

God Bless Grandpa and God bless you!! Straight to heaven for him:):unsure:--and he will always be close to you..