Have you considered Buffalo won't ever sign

Mikie2times

Lot's of talk about what Buffalo will do with Nate. Some say look at the cap we can sign him, others see him out of our price range. I believe the correct answer is Buffalo will not sign high priced players anymore. We might see guys get some healthy contracts, but Buffalo will never hand out huge money to a FA, or sign one of our FA's if they have unreasonable demands. It's not a matter of cap room; it's a matter of Buffalo trying to even out the financial field by staying below the cap. It puts us at a disadvantage but if it happens it’s something we can overcome.

For starters this team and town appeal to certain players. So some players will be reasonable, I would expect JP to be that type of player. Past trying to draft those personalities we need to sign draft picks to longer contracts, and renegotiate our best players as early as possible. We also need to evaluate players like Nate a year or two before they hit the market. If it's clear a player wants to hit the market and our team is in a rebuild mode we need to trade him. Looking back we all knew in 2 years we wouldn't be winning a super bowl no matter how well Nate played. Trade him while he still has value. We could accumulate draft picks and drafting will play the biggest role for us in the future. Obviously it's a different story if we looked to be a contender, but the point is we need to really think long term with some of these guys. We can't just keep losing our top draft picks every year without at least getting something back.

This off-season will show if this is true or not. We do have lots of cap room, we have some holes, we look to be on the rise. If ever their was a time to bring in an influx of talent it's now. Just remember, if we don't sign anybody to a huge contract it's not the end of the world.

Every few years the Bills make a splash into FA with a big signing or trade. Lawyer Milloy, Drew Bledsoe, Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, Ted Washington, Bryce Paup, Chris Speilman, and a bunch more. Throwing giant wads of cash at FA doesn't really get you anything but salary cap trouble. See the Washington Redskins.

One thing I hope that Ralph understands is that fielding a winner is the surest way to ensure Buffalo's continued success. You don't even have to have a winning record every year, but there needs to be the perception among fans that things are moving in the right direction and good times are either here or on the way. The past decade has been one of declining morale because the team seems to be stuck in neutral at a below .500 level. I don't think Ralph can be fully blamed for this because he did open his wallet, but there might have been times where if he'd opened it a bit further he could have pulled the team out of its funk. Such as by paying a decent coach and staff instead of trying to make do with Mike Mularkey. That being said I'm not sure if it's in the Bills' best interest to spend so much on Clements. I am not convinced that CB is that crucial in the NFL. I'd much rather have a top flight front four that can get some pressure on a QB and thereby need less talent at CB.

...but there needs to be the perception among fans that things are moving in the right direction and good times are either here or on the way.

Here in lies the truth. Free agent and trades don't neccessarily get your team any better but it sure makes the fans happy to see the front office doing something. This was Donahoe's forte. He would almost always grab headlines in the off season with big moves but rarely did those moves pay off in the win column.

This off-season will show if this is true or not. We do have lots of cap room, we have some holes, we look to be on the rise. If ever their was a time to bring in an influx of talent it's now. Just remember, if we don't sign anybody to a huge contract it's not the end of the world.

This particular year won't prove that whatsoever. First of all, this is a crappy year for free agents overall, especially at the positions that the Bills need the most help at. There are only 7-8 players worth throwing a ton of money at. Second, and most important, this is the first year after the windfall of money all 32 teams had, so 31 other teams will have more room to toss money at players than ever before, as most teams are 10-20 million under the cap, which is unheard of. This is also the time when Ralph is publicly crying poor to get better longterm deals for Buffalo, so he is highly less inclined this year to spend a lot in FA until all of that is resolved.

McCargo will start, Donte started since day one, Ko starts, K. Williams starts, Ellison is a massive standout, and now Pennington starts.

I like all those players, but I wonder if Williams, Simpson and Pennington starting was just afunction of how little talent was already in place.

I like all those players, but I wonder if Williams, Simpson and Pennington starting was just afunction of how little talent was already in place.

Thats what I think too. The team sucked so bad it wasn't too hard to find players that were better than the crap we had.

- Williams...I agree

- Simpson....I do not...they had a veteran safety (and aquired Bowen) and still started the rook....they like Simpson

- Pennington was just an absolute out of nowhere suprise I think.....people seem to forget just how well Terrance played

Kyle Williams- Yeah if McCargo didn't get hurt kyle williams wouldn't have played as much as he does. Although Williams showed a lot of promise I think he'll make a good rotational guy. Really outplayed Tim Anderson who once again proved to be a big scrub. I love the potential of McCargo but his injury history worries me. Foot injuries tend to linger, but he is very quick off the snap. If he can stay healthy and get stronger he'll be a force. DT is our biggest need and this was just a reflection of that.

Ko Simpson- I'll say it. KO Simpson is going to be better then Donte Whitner. Not that whitner isn't good but I believe Simpson will be a serious playmaker. When our db's were struggling early in the year I sat and read "Simpson looks slow he's not fast at all" I marked it down as simply a rookie learning coverage scehemes and as the year went on we were rarely beat deep and Simpson and Whitner played very disciplined football. KO Simpson will be a starter for a very long time and a db you can build around. Where I feel Whitner will be a solid player and a mainstay who makes his mark in solid coverage and run support I think Ko Simpson will be a difference maker forcing turnovers as well as being a good hitter in his own right.

As for Terrance Pennington It's too soon to have any real opinion. He obviously has the size to play rt. He was stuck with a guy at rg who should be a backup and we rarely ran to the right side during the final few weeks so a true judgement can't be made. He also received help often from rb's and te's in pass protection. We'll have more of an idea next year.

I agree with the statement disagree with free agency being the means to do this. You build teams thru the draft. It can't be overstated enough in order to build a succesful football team you do not overspend in free agency for names of players with mileage on them. A Player here or there fine. For depth purposes mostly, but you want the core of your team to be talent you drafted. Yeah you know what you're pretty much gettin from free agent pickups and not from a rookie. However drafted players tend to be more loyal and easier to re-sign have less mileage and tend to be more energetic players which rubs off. Teams built primarly on free agents do not win consistently.

This particular year won't prove that whatsoever. First of all, this is a crappy year for free agents overall, especially at the positions that the Bills need the most help at. There are only 7-8 players worth throwing a ton of money at. Second, and most important, this is the first year after the windfall of money all 32 teams had, so 31 other teams will have more room to toss money at players than ever before, as most teams are 10-20 million under the cap, which is unheard of. This is also the time when Ralph is publicly crying poor to get better longterm deals for Buffalo, so he is highly less inclined this year to spend a lot in FA until all of that is resolved.

I can see your point. Teams have more money now, and aren't bumping up against the cap. It's a more competitive financial environment for Buffalo to jump into. At the same time I feel this is still an off-season that should tell us something. We clearly need help at guard, and have needed it for a long time. Countless mistakes have been made trying to fill this hole with bargain FA's. Jauron, Levy, and Ralph have all discussed getting more help on the offensive line at some point in the season. Two high priced excellent guards will be available in Steinbach, and Dielman. To not extend any interest to either would be telling to me. That's especially true if we don't make a competitive offer to Clements. It's not as if we ever really focused on big money guys, but I expect it to decline even more now. Do you expect we will sign any big name players this off-season, or be willing to do it in the future? Perhaps it will just become a rarity that doesn't happen until other teams have used up more cap room.

I can see your point. Teams have more money now, and aren't bumping up against the cap. It's a more competitive financial environment for Buffalo to jump into. At the same time I feel this is still an off-season that should tell us something. We clearly need help at guard, and have needed it for a long time. Countless mistakes have been made trying to fill this hole with bargain FA's. Jauron, Levy, and Ralph have all discussed getting more help on the offensive line at some point in the season. Two high priced excellent guards will be available in Steinbach, and Dielman. To not extend any interest to either would be telling to me. That's especially true if we don't make a competitive offer to Clements. It's not as if we ever really focused on big money guys, but I expect it to decline even more now. Do you expect we will sign any big name players this off-season, or be willing to do it in the future? Perhaps it will just become a rarity that doesn't happen until other teams have used up more cap room.

Actually I expect the Bills to publicly go after either Steinbach and/or Dielman but probably lose out, and then sign a Dockery kind of player, which wouldn't be bad I guess. Bringing them in does a lot of things. First off, those players can use the Bills against other teams because everyone knows the Bills have a lot of money and they are looking for guards. It allows Ralph to look like he is in the game but cannot compete when they sign elsewhere for more money, which is the game he is playing now. It says to the fans we're serious about this, and they probably are, but they aren't likely to win the bidding war because they will be fighting shy. But they do have a lot of money, and they have to by law spend a significant portion of it.

I don't think anyone wants to think about this scenario, but I'd bet there's a good chance we leave the free agency period with very little in our cart. Yeah, the Bills gotta spend a certain amount to reach the minimum, prob somewhere around 90-94 mil. But that doesn't mean they'll sign a name FA. Dielman and Steinbach you can be sure will cash in, as will Briggs and Adalius Thomas. To me, they'll all be above our price range. And don't be fooled just because a guy visits OBD. Soon after they "visit" Buffalo and then they'll sign somewhere else, Afer that, the team will talk about that player not being a fit for their team or some bs. I heard that last year with Ryan Pickett. It makes me wonder if the only FA's who fit are the ones who make less than 4 Mil per. Just who has Buffalo signed as a top line Free Agent since TKO? Don't even say Villarrial or the aging Vincent.

There's no doubt you must build your team through the draft. Everyone knows Free Agency can help your team in the short term and maybe longer. By not making a serious effort at quality FA's, Buffalo will need about 2 more drafts. At that rate I don't think Bills fans have the patience. I know they're not going to sign every name guy, but one would go a long way to making the team better while letting the fans know they're interested in being a playoff team sooner rather than later. Just cause they got cap room doesn't mean they'll spend on a Dielman or Steinbach.

If you are going to follow the NE model to build a team, which is through the draft and staying away from the high-priced FAs, you must have outstanding talent evaluators. We had a good first draft and hopefully that will continue but it's too early to draw conclusions about the Bills' ability to evaluate talent.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marv go after Steinbach or Dielman in FA and then use that 12th pick on a DB. We need immediate help in the trenches and when Nate leaves we are perilously thin at corner. McGee as your #1 CB? I'm not sure I'm happy about that.

Anyway, I agree that you don't build your team in FA but you can certainly make very positive contributions at positions of need if the player is there and the price is right.

RTB

If you are going to follow the NE model to build a team, which is through the draft and staying away from the high-priced FAs, you must have outstanding talent evaluators. We had a good first draft and hopefully that will continue but it's too early to draw conclusions about the Bills' ability to evaluate talent.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marv go after Steinbach or Dielman in FA and then use that 12th pick on a DB. We need immediate help in the trenches and when Nate leaves we are perilously thin at corner. McGee as your #1 CB? I'm not sure I'm happy about that.

Anyway, I agree that you don't build your team in FA but you can certainly make very positive contributions at positions of need if the player is there and the price is right.

RTB

There are two warm weather teams, the Dolphins and the Cardinals who have lot of OL problems. The big ticket guys will try to go there (tax benefits too). Arizona will build a good program with Wisenhunt and Russ Grimm as the OL coach. They have the skill players and need to fill their trenches and that is what they will do. I don't see a Steinbach or Dielman coming to Buffalo, unless we throw really tons of money at them.

We will have to draft for OL and DL early in this draft. That is going to be our best option.