San Diego playoff ticket policy

Heitz

Did anyone else see the story about the Chargers cancelling any ticket sales to anyone outside of Southern California (i.e. New England) to get "the best home-field advantage possible"? I guess the Bears did it too.

Seems a little extreme to me - what right do they have to "discriminate" against Pats fans (not that I don't want to see the Pats lose)? I mean it was only 1,000 tickets, but still, just doesn't seem right. Plus it just seems so pu**y to not let opposing fans in! Come on, it's a playoff football game!!

Here's a link: http://www.boston.com/business/globe/artic..._out_pats_fans/

I understand where you're coming from completely but I think that season ticket holders getting first dips is enough, football is football and it doesn't matter where you're from you should be able to attend games anywhere if you get your hands on some tickets.

Ah I disagree with this it should be first come first serve, if people from other cities are able to get their hands on some tickets then why stop them? Anyone should be able to go to a football game no matter where you live.

Exactly what right does the team and Ticketmaster have to restrict ticket sales? Hell, I usually enjoy having a beer or two and a jeer or two with other teams fans!

I don't think it is that unusual. A couple of us here in GA tried to get tickets to the Bills/Panthers preseason game and when we got to the pay part on ticketmaster, it wouldn't let us complete the order since neither the shipping nor the billing address were in NC. Ended up having to go through razorgator or something like that...

Suppose the Bills end up hosting a playoff game one of these years. I'd have no problem with them excluding the other team's fans, if there are enough willing Buffalo fans to buy all the seats.

How can you know from a person's address what team he or she is a fan of? If the Bills were in San Diego, Bob Lamb could get a ticket, but a die hard SD fan outside SD couldn't, defeating their intentions. The whole policy is ridiculous.

How can you know from a person's address what team he or she is a fan of? If the Bills were in San Diego, Bob Lamb could get a ticket, but a die hard SD fan outside SD couldn't, defeating their intentions. The whole policy is ridiculous.

I'll grant you that it's an imperfect system. That said, I can see why teams would want to do something. A few weeks ago I watched a good part of a game between the St. Louis Rams and the visiting Chicago Bears. A lot of Bears fans had driven into St. Louis from Chicago; enough that it was hard to tell which team was at home and which team was the visitor. That had to be problematic for the Rams. If the owner of the Chargers doesn't want the same thing happening to his team . . . well more power to him.

Did anyone else see the story about the Chargers cancelling any ticket sales to anyone outside of Southern California (i.e. New England) to get "the best home-field advantage possible"? I guess the Bears did it too.

Seems a little extreme to me - what right do they have to "discriminate" against Pats fans (not that I don't want to see the Pats lose)? I mean it was only 1,000 tickets, but still, just doesn't seem right. Plus it just seems so pu**y to not let opposing fans in! Come on, it's a playoff football game!!

This has been done a ton of times. Ted Leonsis (Owner of the Washington Capitals) was the first owner to ever do this. Through the 90's up to about 2000, the Capitals seemed to play the Penguins every year in the playoffs. Penguins fans, no lie, would have about 8,000-10,000 fans in DC every game. The Pens kept beating their ass and Leonsis would stay pissed about the crowds.

After one game Jim Schoenfeld said that he was hoping the Caps would score first to take the crowd out of the game......well.......he was playing AT HOME. It was draped across the Pittsburgh papers. It was awesome.

So, Leonsis, who is some internet guru, made it so that all Pennsylvania and West Virginia zip codes were forbidden to purchase tickets to any Capitals playoff games. The screen said that no orders would go through, and that if you ordered tickets your order would be void. Pittsburgh radio stations were calling live and ordering over the net and stuff. It was fun.

Turns out, all of the orders had all of the warnings and stuff, but in the end, they were never blocked. Fans just became scared to order so they stopped about half way through an order.

Pretty good trick on Leonsis' part. I'm pretty sure he was the first owner to do this.

Suppose the Bills end up hosting a playoff game one of these years. I'd have no problem with them excluding the other team's fans, if there are enough willing Buffalo fans to buy all the seats.

I dont think the ralph would sell out a playoff game if we relied on just buffalo fans to do it.

It's legal because "people who don't live in SoCal" are not a federally protected group. Now, say, if there was a case of the team not selling tickets to anyone with a billing zip code in a generally black neighborhood, and you could prove that intent, that would be illegal. And selling only to Jews would be illegal too, since it's religious discrimination.

As best I understand the law, anyway.

Pretty good trick on Leonsis' part. I'm pretty sure he was the first owner to do this.

You're right, being in DC, I remember this episode well.

Didn't the Canes do something like this in their playoff series with the Sabres last year...or did they just wish they did it? :thumbsup:

Buffalo has a hard enough time getting local area fans to the game. You do this to out of town fans, mark my words NOONE will be at the game!

I have no problem with a fan of a different team coming to watch the game in our house.

Im surprised the NFL didnt step in and stop them from doing this.

This was discussed on Mike & Mike this morning and it's legal. Also the Bolts aren't the only team doing it. The Bears also are restricting ticket sales to zip codes in ILL & IND.

They are lucky they are in bigger markets. Teams like Buffalo, Cleveland would never be able to do this.

I still think its unfair, but I guess when its all said and done you do what you gotta do to help your team win.

The only thing this policy will do is ensure ticket agencies in So Cal will corner the market in these tickets.

Like it or not, any sporting event, concert, etc. is open to the entire world now that there's ticket scalping (they call them ticket agencies) on the Internet.

Back in the day when you wanted to see Springsteen at the Aud you had to compete against fans in WNY who wanted to see that show. Want to see Springsteen in Buffalo now? You are competing against people from all over to get those seats - most of whom aren't in WNY and have no intention of actually going to see the show - they're buying the tickets to feed the ticket agencies. Same holds true for football. The hotter the ticket, the more you'll see this.

My guess is that for any online sales of hot tickets most of the buyers aren't fans of that team/group/artist, but ticket agencies or people buying to sell to them. If that's the sace, the SD rule simply means that local ticket agencies will probably get most of the tickets, not agencies in Boston or even St. Louis.

Seems perfectly OK to me. Even the right thing to do. Charger fans (presumed anyway) should have the right to fill up their house and keep out enemy scum like pats fans. They can watch on TV. This is the playoffs, and all and any steps should be taken to ensure Charger fans in the seats. Personally, I HATE going to the Ralph and seeing half the stadium full of Pats fans. This is a total embarrassment and people should be ashamed of selling these tickets to make a few bucks. The Chargers must feel that fans in SoCal would not sell the ducats to enemy fans.

It's the same thing the Carolina Hurricanes did during the NHL playoffs last season that was so roundly criticized. They restricted ticket sales to anyone with a North Carolina credit card billing address for the first 24 or 48 hours. It's not as uncommon a practice as you'd think.

It's the same thing the Carolina Hurricanes did during the NHL playoffs last season that was so roundly criticized. They restricted ticket sales to anyone with a North Carolina credit card billing address for the first 24 or 48 hours. It's not as uncommon a practice as you'd think.

When did this happen? I went to every round and I live in Virginia. Got tickets as soon as they went on sale?

San Diego has a diverse fan base. There are a lot of fans from every other team. When larger cities play in San Diego it is not uncommon to have a large following of opposing teams fans at both Chargers and Padres games. This is especially true when the opponent is New York, Chicago, New England, Dallas and especially Oakland. Despite the limitations, Patriot fans will be there. There are too many Pats fans in San Diego as it is! That is assuming all those Red Sox fans are also loyal to the Pats. After three Super Bowl wins, I would say that it is the case.

The Chargers franchise is in a very delicate phase right now as it is trying to get a stadium deal locally while the City of San Diego straddles bankruptcy. Furthermore, the Chargers have had spotty success over the last decade or so (like someone else I know). The Charger fans have come out and supported the team and the team wishes to reward their support and encourage more of the same. This may be the best Charger team ever assembled so it makes a lot of sense to get as many Charger fans in the stadium as possible. There is a lot at stake for the team and the area.

By the way, in reference to the poster who wrote of the Pittsburgh Penguins, I hope somehow you get a new arena and save your team. The Penguins have a who's who of potential future hall of famers. It would be a shame to see a forty year franchise with a history that includes two Stanley Cups, Lemieux and Jagr to just leave to celebrate their success in another city just as Quebec left for Denver. Save your team!

Suppose you are a long time(or long suffering) Bills fan living in Connecticut or Alaska and the Bills finally put together a great team and you plan on making the journey. If a Bills fan wishes to travel cross country to see the Bills play- they are a terrific fan! Why shut out those people? Its a free country, right?