Ashton Youboty

beerme1

Did we know he was going to be a project that would include zero playing time this season? I didn't. Given how much help this team needed and still needs we cant afford to draft projects that wont contribute something.

Did I miss something with him?

Well unless Marv knew his mother was going to die in August and AY would miss three weeks of camp, then I doubt Marv viewed him as a project. And he was breaking into the one position on the team that had a pretty good amount of depth. So missing three weeks of camp and a position with alot of depth and a position that stayed pretty injury free all year with the exception of Vincent and a couple of other nicks, it was hard for him to get into the lineup. That doesn't make him a project though if he's ready to step up next year.

Did we know he was going to be a project that would include zero playing time this season? I didn't. Given how much help this team needed and still needs we cant afford to draft projects that wont contribute something.

Did I miss something with him?

Losing his mom cost him a lot of valuable PT in camp and on top of that, Kiwaukee Thomas played very well, much better than expected which made it less critical to get Youboty off the bench. Greer has a lot more experience on special teams which is really the only place where Youboty was going to play because of Thomas so it made sense to go they way they did. I think Youboty will prove his worth next year. I think Thomas will probably start in place of Clements. Youboty, Greer and whatever people we draft will duke it out for spots on the nickle and dime packages. Maybe Youboty or, if we draft a CB highly, a rookie, will take the starting job from Thomas 5 or 6 games in.

Of course, all of that changes if Clements stays.

I'm well aware his mother dying and him missing camp time.

I find it hard to believe however that there wasn't scenario wher he couldn't have been put out on the field all year.

Our playbook which he has had all along can't be that tough that it would have prevented him from seeing the field.

That's why Im wondering if I missed something else with the guy.

Note that K Thomas only signed a one-year deal, and the word I am hearing is that he wants to move further South. Thus, even if Nate stays, AY will need to fill the nickel position likely to be vacated by Thomas.

That's interesting, because the article on BB.com recently seemed to indicate that he enjoys where he is.

There really aren't that many rookies who have the talent and maturity to start and do well right off of the bat in the NFL. We did well this year with as many rookies who were able to contribute and do well. None of them were exceptional though. Ashton was younger, (came out as a jr), missed much of training camp, putting him at the bottom of our deepest (and healthy) unit. So he didn't get to play much.

Where's the suprise? What's to be disapointed about?

Heck, I'm disapointed that our team isn't good enough that any rookie is able to crack our starting lineup.

Where's the suprise? What's to be disapointed about?

Heck, I'm disapointed that our team isn't good enough that any rookie is able to crack our starting lineup.

Seems to me that at some point he should be sent in. That all I'm saying. But I feel that in light of the fact that some people expect him to play a role next year, shouldn't we have at least got a look at him this year?

had he stayed for his senior year, I believe that he would have ended up being the #1 CB and if not #1 at least a 1st rounder, at OS he was as good as Clements, the death of his mother hurt. I still think he can rebound, he has the talent, he just will be a rookie again next year. He is not a bust.

I think this year is pretty much a wash for AY. If we lose Clements and Thomas, we'll be expecting a lot from him next year.

It might have been a wash but am still perplexed why Coy Wire was playing CB against Baltimore with McGee on the bench when we could of been giving Ashton a look or two.

A college junior drafted in round 3 is not a long term "project." Calm down about playing time -- like others have said, we had better guys higher up on the CB depth chart this year. Sorry you wanted a "look at" him, but guess what? the bills don't give a sh*t about what you want. The coaching staff (i.e. the ones that matter, unlike you) got plenty of "looks" at Youboty in practice this year, and they felt he wasn't as prepared or ready as the other guys in the unit, PERIOD. Remember we were in the playoff picture up until week 16, I think Coach J was a little more interested in winning games than giving expert talent evaluators like yourself a chance to "look at" all of our rookies. :D

Coy was in basically to help stop the run. Shows how desperate we'd become to help out the run D. He was essentially playing LB not a DB, and could still "cover". AY worked his way up and was active (IRC) towards the end of the season. I was pleasantly suprised with KT, and wouldn't mind keeping him. No barnburner, but decent backup material. We're hoping that AY will become hotstuff, but the coaches clearly thought he was still too raw, and was outplayed by the vets in front of him. (maybe by just being more consistent)

Regardless, I feel we've had our most productive draft in years. If AY ends up no more than a backup, shrug,the draft is still a crapshoot, he was only a 3rd.

A college junior drafted in round 3 is not a long term "project." Calm down about playing time -- like others have said, we had better guys higher up on the CB depth chart this year. Sorry you wanted a "look at" him, but guess what? the bills don't give a sh*t about what you want. The coaching staff (i.e. the ones that matter, unlike you) got plenty of "looks" at Youboty in practice this year, and they felt he wasn't as prepared or ready as the other guys in the unit, PERIOD. Remember we were in the playoff picture up until week 16, I think Coach J was a little more interested in winning games than giving expert talent evaluators like yourself a chance to "look at" all of our rookies. :D

Wow! Thats a lot of venom for me. Based on what?

I think you really are CPA Bob and are still pissed at me for some remarks I made about a trailer park during a storm. Sorry if I offended you then, if you are CPA.

If not, you can just...

I'm well aware his mother dying and him missing camp time.

I find it hard to believe however that there wasn't scenario wher he couldn't have been put out on the field all year.

Our playbook which he has had all along can't be that tough that it would have prevented him from seeing the field.

That's why Im wondering if I missed something else with the guy.

I'm with your beerme, a 3rd round pick needs to find some playing time somewhere.

I found it quite discouraging that he never made it onto the field.

I still hope he pans out

I'm very disappointed that he didn't play and contribute, like our 5th and 7th rounders did, but I also agree that he was coming into one of our stronger units.

WE may have wanted to see him in game action, but remember that DJ sees him trying to cover Lee and Peerless and Roscoe all week long all season long.

What bothers me is the idea that he was not able to recover from his slow start to push KT or McGee on the depth chart, although I also think that with the unit performing well and DJ's loyalty to players, he wasn't going to rock the boat just to rock the boat. Hopefully it isn't a sign of something worse.

So I'm really disappointed that for 2006 we got zero contribution from a first and third round draft pick, along with not having a 2nd rounder. That's a long draft gap between starting safeties at #8 and #105. But still, between Whitner, Ko, Kyle, Ellison, and Pennington, I think we got plenty of contribution in the first year from this draft. So we can afford to have two slow starters. What is exciting is that McCargo and Youboty both have the upside to be the equivalent of first round picks in 2007, and if both can contribute as rookies+, I think that bodes very well for our future.