Bills Rumors

bills_fan

December

Dec. 11, 2006

We hear that the Bills have had preliminary discussions with MLB London Fletcher, who is having one of the best seasons of his nine-year NFL career and who becomes a free agent following the 2006 season, about a new contract. Word is Fletcher, who not only leads the team in tackles on the field but also has been named the team’s Walter Payton Man of the Year, is a favorite of owner Ralph Wilson, and the Bills’ boss wants to keep him with the team. Fletcher told PFW that he is most proud of the fact that he hasn’t missed a game in his career, including a streak of consecutive starts that reached 100 in Week 14. “The thing I’m most proud of is just to be counted on each and every week. I don’t think the coaches worry about the middle linebacker position for whatever team I’ve played on. I feel like they have confidence in me and know that I’m going to show up each and every Sunday, ready to play. That’s something I take pride in. The fact that I’m able to just perform each and every week, regardless of the way I feel. Just being able to be there, and be there for my teammates, is great.”

Dec. 4, 2006

We hear the biggest reason for the Bills’ improved play offensively in recent weeks is a revamped offensive line that finally seems to have the right pieces in place after struggling for the first half of the season. We hear that the Bills have been pleasantly surprised by the play of seventh-round draft pick Terrance Pennington, who has used his size and long arms to keep opposing ends away from QB J.P. Losman. Word is athletic OLT Jason Peters is growing by leaps and bounds as he learns his new position, and OGs Mike Gandy and Duke Preston have been noticeable upgrades over the players they replaced. Holding the line together has been C Melvin Fowler, whom the Bills are crediting with excellent leadership in getting his linemates to work as a unit after being thrown together in midseason. Adding to the team’s optimism is the fact that four of the five linemen are signed through 2008, with Gandy the only player whose contract expires after this season. Word is Gandy’s play at guard, after he struggled mightily at tackle, has impressed the Bills and likely made him a priority to re-sign for next year.

I really don't have a problem with either. If Gandy really is looking good at G then re-sign him. Chemistry goes a long way on the OL.

Nice to hear London will be back, we need him.

Now, resign Nate, I don't care if its the most expensive CB in the NFL, you'll have the money, now spend it!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to Fletcher-Baker but Nate should be priority #1.

866970[/snapback]

i would disagree.

we need a top notch #1 CB, but great ILBs arnt exactly as easy to find in FA.

Signing fletcher should be our #1 priority.

re-signing/finding a replacement for clements is #2.

If Fletcher was 26 years old I'd agree, but I'm looking at it from the perspective we'll get at least 5 more good years out of clements.  We can expect 2-3 out of Fletch.  Especially within a system entirely based on speed.

866988[/snapback]

:oops:

Re-signing Clements is probably the #1 priority for the Bills. At the same time I think that putting a new contract together for Clements will be tougher than putting a new one together for Fletcher.

So if they can re-sign Fletcher within the weeks to come, that's fine with me.

Git 'er done Marv.

Who are the Bill's FAs this off-season? In addition to Fletcher-Baker, Clements and Gandy? Kelsay? Would ppl be upset if the Bills lost Kelsay given the fact that Denney and Hargrove will be back?

867001[/snapback]

Here's the list and order I put them in importance to re-signing. Of course I ranked many of the RFA and ERFA lower on the list because their easier to re-sign. Kelsay is going to be interesting, I think he's worth keeping as feel he's a better pass rusher then Hargrove and/or Denney but have a feeling we won't be able to keep him if re-sign Nate and Fletcher.

Clements, Nate CB UFA

Fletcher-Baker, London LB UFA

Lindell, Rian PK UFA

Kelsay, Chris DE UFA

Gandy, Mike OL UFA

Shelton, Daimon FB UFA

Davis, Andre WR UFA

Thomas, Kiwaukee CB UFA

Thomas, Anthony RB UFA

Hargrove, Anthony DE RFA

Preston, Duke OL ERFA

Wire, Coy S UFA

Anderson, Tim DT RFA

Williams, Shaud RB RFA

Greer, Jabari CB RFA

I'll say it again...

1) Resign: Nate and London.

2) Extend: JP, Lee and Willis.

To me, that would be a fantastic off season. Keep our young guys in Buffalo. Prevent them from even sniffing the market.

With close to 40 million in cap space, all this is very doable.

nate shoutld be the #1 priority in the offseason over London only because London will be re-signed before the offseason starts.

The Bills will have to put one huge contract offer together to get Nate to re-sign now, he does think he is the top CB in the league and will want to see what he's worth on the market before signing anywhere.

Although this may disapoint most here, especially Bill, but I think that reading those rumors, if they are true, the Bills will not attempt to bring in Steinbach. They will probably stick with what they have and maybe bring in some linemen in the draft instead. After seeing how young the line is and how they have played recently, I am not completly against this approach though.

I'll say it again...

1) Resign: Nate and London.

2) Extend: JP, Lee and Willis.

To me, that would be a fantastic off season. Keep our young guys in Buffalo. Prevent them from even sniffing the market.

With close to 40 million in cap space, all this is very doable.

867026[/snapback]

JP is just now starting to come on and produce consistently and you're ready to extend his contract? Losman has enough people on this board polishing his knob already. He has only played the equivalent of ONE season starting -- it isn't time to lock him up for another 6 years because of a couple of good games.

If Fletcher was 26 years old I'd agree, but I'm looking at it from the perspective we'll get at least 5 more good years out of clements.  We can expect 2-3 out of Fletch.  Especially within a system entirely based on speed.

866988[/snapback]

I think both sides have merits.

1. Fletcher has been the heart and soul of this defense.

2. He has been the mainstay at the MLB position for the last 5 season.

3. His play is good and above average but is not a dominating LB.

4. He has held the LB corps together in the absence of TKO.

Opposite View:

1. He will be 30 years old and playing his 10 season in the NFL.

2. He has struggled to shed blocks to get to the RB to stop the Run.

3. One could replace his production with another ILB, but not the leadership.

JP is just now starting to come on and produce consistently and you're ready to extend his contract?  Losman has enough people on this board polishing his knob already.  He has only played the equivalent of ONE season starting -- it isn't time to lock him up for another 6 years because of a couple of good games.

867051[/snapback]

If I'm not wrong, he has one year left on his deal after this.

He has been announced as the starter for '07. If he has a great 07 campaign, he'll be a big commodity on the UFA market and his cost will skyrocket.

However, if the Bills extend him now for say, 3 to 4 years, they will get him at a considerably lower rate.

It has nothing to do with polishing his knob. It has to do with good cap sense.

Who are the Bill's FAs this off-season? In addition to Fletcher-Baker, Clements and Gandy? Kelsay? Would ppl be upset if the Bills lost Kelsay given the fact that Denney and Hargrove will be back?

867001[/snapback]

McGahee. Even though he won't be a FA, he will be in his final year of his rookie contract next year. I am sure he and his agent will want to negotiate a big contract at the beginning of next season.

If the Bills offense becomes stable at the key positions, Marv and Jim are going to have some tough choices to make as Losman, Evans, McGahee, Peters will all have to be compensated with big contracts. Another guy who will be coming up for FA will be Parrish.

They won't have such big head aches on the defensive side in the next few seasons if they can get Nate, Kelsay and Fletcher done.

866988[/snapback]

It would be nice to retain Fletcher for continuity sake, and I think he may get less interest on the market than his stats and durability would indicate he should, so it could happen.

We need to remember though, that statistical production aside, he is the MLB for a horrible run defense. I think Crowell or Spikes would be better against the run and would also look good in the passing game because you can play with your eyes in the backfield in cover 2. If those guys are healthy. Which makes it a dilemna.

But I don't see this as a situation like when they let Pat Williams go in *hope* that Ron Edwards could handle the position. Crowell or Spikes could and would both be at least good, and both are under contract, which is important because the Bills have A LOT of free agents(and needs) and the signing bonus money is going to get out of hand. Clements should be retained first, his presence gives us a player who can be matched up against the opponents best WR, something that we will miss terribly if he leaves. He would be missed A LOT more than Fletcher, and Clements durability is even more important than Fletcher's because our #2 CB is Terrence McGee and he is constantly nicked up and misses quite a bit of time.

JP is just now starting to come on and produce consistently and you're ready to extend his contract?  Losman has enough people on this board polishing his knob already.  He has only played the equivalent of ONE season starting -- it isn't time to lock him up for another 6 years because of a couple of good games.

867051[/snapback]

Agreed. He is sign through 2008 so why not let him play effectively and better next year and also stay healthy and then look to extend after the 2007 season, maybe.

McGahee.  Even though he won't be a FA, he will be in his final year of his rookie contract next year.  I am sure he and his agent will want to negotiate a big contract at the beginning of next season.

If the Bills offense becomes stable at the key positions,  Marv and Jim are going to have  some tough choices to make as  Losman, Evans, McGahee,  Peters will all have to be compensated with big contracts.  Another guy who will be coming up for FA will be Parrish.

They won't have such big head aches on the defensive side in the next few seasons if they can get Nate, Kelsay and Fletcher done.

867057[/snapback]

If they can do Kelsay for the same price as Denney then maybe. I say chances are that Clements won't agree to resign with Buffalo before FA begins or really at all, in the end. Just my gut. Even if we throw Champ Bailey money at him, it is iffy that he returns 'cause I think he wants to go elsewhere.

A CB in round 1 is a big possibility and I personally think that WR, OT, OG, and DT should be the prioities for our next picks...