Perilous Prediction

BobbyC81

To be honest, I don't expect the Bills to be able to sign either Clements or Steinbach. We're talking about the premier FA corner and the premier FA guard, and these days EVERY team is under the cap enough to have money to throw around. Until Buffalo starts winning consistently, we won't be a desirable location for the cream of the crop.

To be honest, I don't expect the Bills to be able to sign either Clements or Steinbach.  We're talking about the premier FA corner and the premier FA guard, and these days EVERY team is under the cap enough to have money to throw around.  Until Buffalo starts winning consistently, we won't be a desirable location for the cream of the crop.

853992[/snapback]

If you are correct (as I sadly suspect), the draft will truly be the only way for the Bills to build a winning team.

This need not be the case mind you, but our owner and GM are very old, and RW seems particularly reluctant (or perhaps even unable) to grasp the major changes in the NFL wrt the salary cap, new CBA, etc. We will see in April whether or not Marv is able to kick his losing habit of drafting defensive backs.

Nate and Steinbach CAN be signed imo, but in order to do so, Ralph will have to be willing to over-pay (for the time being). This is a tall order for, and much to ask from a man who is 87 years old imo.

We will find out soon enough.

If you are correct (as I sadly suspect), the draft will truly be the only way for the Bills to build a winning team.

This need not be the case mind you, but our owner and GM are very old, and RW seems particularly reluctant (or perhaps even unable) to grasp the major changes in the NFL wrt the salary cap, new CBA, etc. We will see in April whether or not Marv is able to kick his losing habit of drafting defensive backs.

Nate and Steinbach CAN be signed imo, but in order to do so, Ralph will have to be willing to over-pay (for the time being). This is a tall order for, and much to ask from a man who is 87 years old imo.

854045[/snapback]

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a deep year for OL in the draft.

The Chaos Commish poster on Footballguys had this to say about talent in the 2007 draft.

"The DTs and DEs tell a similar story. Some nice ones and a cliff, though more DEs are emerging than I expected. There isn't half as many quality LBs as last year, but the top tier is comparable. The DBs are solid and respectably deep, but again, nothing like last year's mob. The OL talent is shallow, decent at the top, but mostly unimpressive, sorry. If you're dreaming of rebuilding an OL through this draft, you probably are dreaming. There's a few nice players, but understand if I don't see your team addressing pressing OL needs in round one (later is probably more likely this year). I have all OLs but #1 generally downgraded, especially Sam Baker and Levi Jones who have not played up to their press clippings. However, I do agree the lack of significant depth elsewhere could launch a few more OLs into the first round. "

854045[/snapback]

1- If we lost Nate, how would drafting a CB fairly early on day 1 not be a need pick or a good idea, regardless of Marv's history?

2- Hasn't the "our GM and Owner are old" bit run it's course yet? I think Ralph proved already that he was wise to question the details of the new bargaining agreement as it has been shown since that many of the other owners simply "Signed up" without really understanding the details.

This is nonsense,, and it all depends on how the team plays out this final bunch of games......  Marv and Ralph will make Nate, the highest paid CB in Bills history, if not NFL history.

854101[/snapback]

I don't think the Bills expect to re-sign Nate. That offseason agreement to not franchise him was just strange. I think they realize he's going to become the top paying corner (or very close) and they either can't or won't afford it. Read between the lines of this article, too.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061...?tbd1019024.asp

"I'm getting married this offseason, I've got a little daughter and we're trying to build a home and a family, so I have other important stuff to worry about. The chips are definitely going to fall where they may."

My guess is Clements' fiance doesn't want to stay in Buffalo.

This doesn't mean the Bills can't find another FA corner on the market. How about stealing Asante Samuel away from the Patriots? I think they should go after Daniel Graham as well. Weaken your division foe while helping yourself.

I don't think the Bills will resign Nate either, but I think they will be OK. They are going to be about $33M under the cap next year. I hate to see him go, but I think their money would be spent better elsewhere.

1- If we lost Nate, how would drafting a CB fairly early on day 1 not be a need pick or a good idea, regardless of Marv's history?

2- Hasn't the "our GM and Owner are old" bit run it's course yet? I think Ralph proved already that he was wise to question the details of the new bargaining agreement as it has been shown since that many of the other owners simply "Signed up" without really understanding the details.

854095[/snapback]

1) Need or not, the carousel of signing 1st round corners and letting them walk has resulted in losses. The record of the Bills since this trend started directly coincided with their streak of not winning a lot of football games, and it started (and continued) under Levy's watch. How can you possibly dispute this? Do you really want a 2007 version of T. Smith, Burress, Winfield, Clements (if he walks), etc.? When does it end?

2) Wise or not, the CBA is what it is, and the way to build a winning football team hasn't changed. Levy is a nice man, but he has a lot to prove as a GM, and he got a very late start. It could leave one wondering why. Why exactly was he out of football all these years? Why did we never hear his name mentioned by any other team? I for one don't know. Any ideas? :thumbdown:

As for Ralph, we will know very soon whether or not he has the desire to spend the money that is needed to build a winning team. The past is the past. It will be extremely interesting imo to see what he does when free agency begins, as he sits there with more than 30 million dollars of cap space.

All we can do is hope. :thumbsup:

This doesn't mean the Bills can't find another FA corner on the market.  How about stealing Asante Samuel away from the Patriots?  I think they should go after Daniel Graham as well.  Weaken your division foe while helping yourself.

854105[/snapback]

It seems to me that most forget about this concept. Everyone is either...."We must re-sign NC"...or...."If NC goes, we must draft CB high next year(again)"

There will be a few good CBs on the market....is it not reasonable to assume we will be targeting one of them if NC cannot be signed?

There will be a few good CBs on the market....is it not reasonable to assume we will be targeting one of them if NC cannot be signed?

854452[/snapback]

The cb market is pretty bad this year outside of clements and asante samuel and I cant see the pats letting samuel go unless of course they sign clements.

The cb market is pretty bad this year outside of clements and asante samuel and I cant see the pats letting samuel go unless of course they sign clements.

854453[/snapback]

True and don't forget that nickel/part time starter Kiwaukee Thomas is also set to be a free agent too, personally I hope we re-sign Nate to a long term deal. Although if I were the coaching staff I'd start getting Youboty some game time to see if he is worth consider as a replacement for Nate or Thomas as we might not re-sign both.

1) Need or not, the carousel of signing 1st round corners and letting them walk has resulted in losses. The record of the Bills since this trend started directly coincided with their streak of not winning a lot of football games, and it started (and continued) under Levy's watch. How can you possibly dispute this?  Do you really want a 2007 version of T. Smith, Burress, Winfield, Clements (if he walks), etc.? When does it end?

854350[/snapback]

I'm not sure how you can attribute our losing to our letting CB's leave (the more likely causes are poor coaching and poor line and QB play). The Eagles employ the same strategy in drafting CB's and they've been pretty successful.

Why pay a free agent CB top dollar when you can get a 1st or 2nd round draft pick who is just as good at half the money? I say draft a guy in the first round to replace Clements. And when the new guy's contract comes up, draft another 1st round CB replacement. The difference is probably b/w a $3 mill signing bonus and a $15 mill bonus--staggering!

I don't think the Bills will resign Nate either, but I think they will be OK. They are going to be about $33M under the cap next year. I hate to see him go, but I think their money would be spent better elsewhere.

854110[/snapback]

Since Daquixers hasn't responded here I will. Nate has played a lot better as of late. What will the Bills spend their money on if not on NC? $33 Million is a lot of money to work with and Nate, the past few weeks, has been that shutdown corner he's been claiming to be for years. If we had a decent pass rush he would be even better, but it really all depends on whether or not a team other than the Bills is going to offer him an astronomical contract. I hope we sign him, but if we don't I'd like to know we were at least competitive in the bidding for retaining his services.

I'm not sure how you can attribute our losing to our letting CB's leave (the more likely causes are poor coaching and poor line and QB play). The Eagles employ the same strategy in drafting CB's and they've been pretty successful. 

Why pay a free agent CB top dollar when you can get a 1st or 2nd round draft pick who is just as good at half the money? I say draft a guy in the first round to replace Clements. And when the new guy's contract comes up, draft another 1st round CB replacement.  The difference is probably b/w a $3 mill signing bonus and a $15 mill bonus--staggering!

854485[/snapback]

The Eagles are also wise enough to draft their guys a year ahead of time to see if the drafted player is good enough to be replacements. That's why I'm advocating for Youboty to get on the field. As much as we think CBs are easy to be replaced we've been fortunate with getting guys we've gotten because there's a risk involved that instead of getting a "Nate" you could also end up with an "Ahmad Carroll".

I say draft a guy in the first round to replace Clements. And when the new guy's contract comes up, draft another 1st round CB replacement. 

854485[/snapback]

The problem is that this is what the Bills do, and it results in losses and games not selling out.

Please reconsider, OK Marv? :thumbsup::P:thumbdown:

Guys. I know that Nate is playing pro bowl football. There are a couple of guys you are forgetting about. Mcgee is pretty good and there is a third round football player picked up last year that looks to be very good as well. His name is Ashton Youboty. Before his mother died, he was busting up alot of plays and catching a few interceptions in training camp. Reports last year were that he was a steal in the third round and he will all ready have a year under his belt. There is also Jabari Greer and Kiauki Thomas. They have done pretty well when called on to play. The point is, Buffalo isn't hurting at CB. I'd rather see a stud defensive lineman along side Larry Tripplet disrupting plays in the interior. If it comes down to Nate leaving for big money, let him go. There are others who can get the job done and we can spend money in areas where there are some real weaknesses.