I'm going to buy a CD.

ajzepp

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Califone's "Roots and Crowns" is the best record I've heard in a long time. They employ a lot of acoustic instruments and folk techniques but aren't afraid to use electronics, either. Here are a couple samples...

Spider's House -- one of the more poppy tracks on the album. Ira Kaplan from Yo La Tengo (also cited on here) called it one of his favorite pop songs of the year.

The Orchids (cover of Psychic TV) -- this is a really sweet cover of a sort of disturbing track written by a prominent goth band.

Ben Folds - Rockin' The Sububrs came out in '01, but is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

The Postal Service's Give Up is also phenominal, along with anything by Royksopp.

Of course, you could go to allofmp3.com (which is still legal) and get all of these albums. :)

I picked up Jay Reatard's new LP, Blood Visions a couple weeks ago and it's been in heavy rotation at casa de Coli ever since. Some have heard me extol the genius of Jay Reatard multiple times on this board. Most have ignored me. The Reatards put out some of the most intense, trashy punk rock you'd ever want to inflict on yourself and/or your neighbors. Make no mistake, though, Blood Visions is nothing like the Reatards. This is a record the Killers wished they had the stones to make. This is hook-laden, trashy new wave...hints of Buzzcocks, Devo, an Adverts cover...it's loaded.

Here's Oliver from Strange Reaction reviewing it far better than I ever could. There's a few clips as well, but the two stand-out tracks, My Shadow and Turning Blue, can probably be sampled on iTunes.

Speaking of Jay, if you want to hear another of his non-Reatards bands, I would highly recommend the progenitors of "black-wave", the Lost Sounds, in particular the Rat Brains and Microchips LP. It's a nice precursor to Blood Visions, for those who can't stomach the Reatards.

Okay, so I just got a new credit card in the mail....first one in a few years, since my divorce. I'm going to celebrate my return to credit card debt by purchasing a CD from Amazon.

853163[/snapback]

Get a new PC, add broadband, and start downloading & burning the CDs you want.

Then buy a HD-DVD player with the $$$ you save from not buying CDs anymore. :)

Get a new PC, add broadband, and start downloading & burning the CDs you want.

Then buy a HD-DVD player with the $$$ you save from not buying CDs anymore. :)

853470[/snapback]

I'm gonna have to start calling you Fezmid II, lol

Thanks all for the suggestions! I was actually expecting more responses like Inkman's, but all these obscure bands works just as well....I love adding new stuff to my list ;)

I suggest either John Hiatt "Bring the Family" or A.J. Croce's debut album, which features one of my favorite songs: He's Got A Way With Women (and He Just Got Away With Mine).

853580[/snapback]

wow, that AJ Croce album looks like it's just BEGGING to be played on my audio rig....I may have to run over to Best Buy and pick that one up this afternoon if they have it....nice call!

wow, that AJ Croce album looks like it's just BEGGING to be played on my audio rig....I may have to run over to Best Buy and pick that one up this afternoon if they have it....nice call!

853584[/snapback]

That's Jim Croce's son, believe it or not, and it's tough to believe because his music and voice are nothing like his father's. If you enjoy that, you should also pick up his second album "That's Me In The Bar."

His mother owns a bar in downtown San Diego called "Croce's" and I've seen him perform there a couple of times. Just a great performer.

That's Jim Croce's son, believe it or not, and it's tough to believe because his music and voice are nothing like his father's. If you enjoy that, you should also pick up his second album "That's Me In The Bar."

His mother owns a bar in downtown San Diego called "Croce's" and I've seen him perform there a couple of times. Just a great performer.

853588[/snapback]

Did something happen to his voice?? One of the reviews I read indicated that his "sound" now is much different than his early stuff. Any idea what they meant?

Looks like the one Best Buy has is "Early On....", which seems to be a compilation album. Will that work?

The Road to Escondido by JJ Cale and Eric Clapton.

link

Okay, so I just got a new credit card in the mail....first one in a few years, since my divorce. I'm going to celebrate my return to credit card debt by purchasing a CD from Amazon.

Just cause I'm easily amused and way overtired from having to switch my work schedule back and forth from nights to days a few times this week, I want to make this more interesting for myself. Therefore, I'm only going to buy a CD if there is a clear winner among whatever suggestions I receive. I'll monitor this thread between now and Sunday night. If one particular CD is suggested more than any other, I'll buy it.

Ready.....GO!

853163[/snapback]

Al DiMeola Cosequence of Chaos I don't know if you're into this type of music.  But the only reason I recommend this is because I saw him last night at a small club here in Orange county and it was one mother!@#$ing kickass show.

853595[/snapback]

My taste is very ecclectic, but I LOVE good vocalists above all else. If you combine great vocals with something emotional - and by that I dont mean sappy, I mean something that affects you in an emotional way and really involves you in what's going on - then I'm probably going to love it. That's why I took to Buckley so quickly....the guy's voice was just sick, and his music/performance is very intense. I dig that. Van Morrison...very unique vocals, great music....can't go wrong with it. I'll definitely check the guy out....I have a whole list of great stuff that you guys have suggested :)