Ryan Pickett

We were so close to getting him.  I would have loved to see them up the dollars  so that we had him teaming with Triplett (who is finally healthy) in the middle.

I think our run defense would be much better then it is now, thats for sure.

851668[/snapback]

Might not have been about the $$$, but I agree...

Might've passed on the McCargo trade too. :blink:

Or what if we had kept PW...we'd really be set! Hell, Sam Adams would look a lot better than Anderson! But face it the Bills will never field a complete team. Think about it: when we had RJ and Flutie the D was good, offense was suspect. We bring in Drew and for a season and a half the offense was great but defense and special teams sucked. We bring in Spikes and a few other additions and then our defense and special teams was the best in the league but then the offense plays like crap. Then last year everything fell off besides the speical teams which is the best in the NFL. Even take this year; the D played pretty good at the beginning but the offense stalled. Now that the offense has picked up the D, especially against the run has fell off big time. The football gods and the Bills just don't get along!

I can't figure out what our troubles are against the run, because it seems like there's too much talent in the front 7 to let it happen. Schobel, Spikes, Crowell, and Fletcher are unquestionable, starting-caliber players. Triplett, Williams, and Hargrove aren't playing badly. What's missing?

I can't figure out what our troubles are against the run, because it seems like there's too much talent in the front 7 to let it happen.  Schobel, Spikes, Crowell, and Fletcher are unquestionable, starting-caliber players.  Triplett, Williams, and Hargrove aren't playing badly.  What's missing?

851908[/snapback]

Linemen with runstopping talent. The players you listed are either linebackers or they are linemen whose best skill is getting after the QB. We need some linemen who can hold their ground at the point of attack.

Or what if we had kept PW...we'd really be set!

851699[/snapback]

:blink: PW did not fit the Bills cover 2 scheme. He is too slow for that type of system, he is truly a 3-4/ 4-3 nose tackle. though i agree that sam adams would have looked better that tim anderson. the son of the devil and mularkey screwed relations between him and the team. Adams would have probably been able to work w/ this defense better than the Jerry Gray/ Dick LeBeau defense, due to his explosiveness and reaction off the ball

We would have signed Pickett OR Tripplett, not both.

852069[/snapback]

Tripplett signed on the first day of FA, 3/11.

Pickett signed with the Rams on 3/15, 1 day after visiting the Bills.

If the Bills were only interested in signing one of the 2, they would not have brought Pickett in after Tripplett had already signed.

I can't figure out what our troubles are against the run, because it seems like there's too much talent in the front 7 to let it happen.  Schobel, Spikes, Crowell, and Fletcher are unquestionable, starting-caliber players.  Triplett, Williams, and Hargrove aren't playing badly.  What's missing?

851908[/snapback]

I'd have to rate Spikes as a big question. He's not playing well, not making plays. Neither are the 2 (or 3) tackles in the run game. In this Tampa style defense, the tackles playing in gaps should be making stops on running plays. I rarely see that. Schobel looks like a better pass rusher than run stopper to me. The Bills are still 2-3 players away in their front 7 IMO.

PW did not fit the Bills cover 2 scheme. He is too slow for that type of system, he is truly a 3-4/ 4-3 nose tackle.

Bullshlt.

1) A guy with the intensity and talent of Phat Pat can play in any type of system.

2) A cover 2 is a secondary configuration and you can run your D-front any way you want when you're in it.

3) The Bills aren't even running pure cover 2 as they're mixing in a wide array of other looks with thier base D.

Right after the trade for Bledsoe, letting PhatPat walk was the biggest mistake Donahoe made in his tenure with the Bills. In addition to still being a great player he likely would have kept his buddy Sam Adams in line, and if both of those guys were here right now there's a distinct possibility we'd be playing for the AFC East title.

Bullshlt.

1) A guy with the intensity and talent of Phat Pat can play in any type of system.

2) A cover 2 is a secondary configuration and you can run your D-front any way you want when you're in it.

3) The Bills aren't even running pure cover 2 as they're mixing in a wide array of other looks with thier base D.

Right after the trade for Bledsoe, letting PhatPat walk was the biggest mistake Donahoe made in his tenure with the Bills. In addition to still being a great player he likely would have kept his buddy Sam Adams in line, and if both of those guys were here right now there's a distinct possibility we'd be playing for the AFC East title.

852121[/snapback]

Even thought Phat Pat does not fit the smaller/faster prototype that Cover Two's often employ, he could definitely play that position and play it well. He has one of the best gap splitting first steps of all DTs any size or age.

I think I remember reading somewhere that we offered him the same amount of money that he got.

Yes, we offered the same $. And we were interested in signing BOTH Tripplett and Pickett-we had the cap space. For what it's worth, I read an article where Pickett said he didn't like the "vibe" he got on his visit to Buffalo, much better atmosphere in green Bay. Hopefully we can change this around, or we may lose more potential free agents unless we're willing to drastically overpay.

Though when PW signed on with the Vikes, he was going to play in a 3-4 alignment with Cotrell as the DC.

852294[/snapback]

thank you... got to that before i could. Ideally a 3-4 at nose or 4-3 w/ eating space and blockers system is the best fitting scheme for phat pat. a tampa cover 2 is more about penetration through the line which is not the strongest part of his game.

I dont really know if it is just our DT's.

On every big run against Houston, Whitner got caught inside and the RB got to the corner.

On ALL but 2 runs against Jax (They were 2 big runs however), the RB again got the corner and went for big yardage. One of the longer runs, Crowell simply took a bad angle and never touched the RB.

Cover 2 has traditionally been soft against the run, BUT, in cover 2 you have to tackle really well and right now the Bills biggest problem hasnt been lack of size it has been lack of tackling. From Nate Clements, the LB's, even Whitner, we have struggled tackling and 3 yard gains become 10+ yard gains.

851908[/snapback]

What is missing?

1. First of all Schoebel is average against the run. Fletcher and Crowell can make tackles if the DT's eat space and take up some blockers. For that we need more stout DT's. Hargrove usually only plays DT on passing downs. Williams is getting tired as the season goes on and is getting handled by older, bigger, stronger opponents. He will be better next season. Anderson is marginal. We need a true run stuffer to replace Anderson.

2. Sometimes the LBs are not staying in lanes, then they get seal off.

3. Spikes is a shadow of himself and has only 2.5 assists in the past two game, no solo tackles.

4. Whitner is not playing the run very well. Arm tackles, misses, and over pursuit. He is doing OK for a rookie but his tackling needs work. Ditto for Ko Simpson.

That explains the run defense.