Props to Schobel

Ramius

That was pretty cool :lol: .

Too bad Schobel was MIA on every other play, particularly those running ones.

842350[/snapback]

Kyle Williams was a friggin beast today. I loved seeing him make the tackle on lundy 25 yards downfield. Sam Adams' lard ass would have been at the donut line already watching someone else run to make the tackle.

I'd like to see Schoebel show up when it actually mattered.

I'm not real happy with our DE play. Too many upfield speed rushes which leave a huge gap between guard and tackle. This has been consistently exploited by opposing teams this season. These guys need to learn a move besides running 10 yards into the backfield and hoping the QB is there.

RTB

I'm not real happy with our DE play. Too many upfield speed rushes which leave a huge gap between guard and tackle. This has been consistently exploited by opposing teams this season. These guys need to learn a move besides running 10 yards into the backfield and hoping the QB is there.

RTB

842390[/snapback]

you do realize that EVERY sack leader in the league pads their stats against crappy teams dont you?

I swear to science, some of you are never happy.

I am a huge AS supporter most days, but he really needs to work on his responsibilites in playing vs. the run from what he showed today.

842461[/snapback]

Agreed, that one play he left a hole that you could literally drive a car through.

you do realize that EVERY sack leader in the league pads their stats against crappy teams dont you?

842456[/snapback]

Oh jesus, blow it out your ass with your "some of you are never happy" crap.

I'm very happy with the win, especially for JP, but you were giving your "props" to a player who has a knack for the garbage sack instead of showing up when we need him.

DE's love to play us so they can pad their stats. I care less about the stats and more about showing up when it counts. The Pats, in their prime, had many players who showed up in big games at the right time but didn't have the "stats" to show for it.

Aaron Schoebel is the king of the garbage stat. He sucks at run D, consistently runs himself out of plays with his upfield rush, does not command a double team, and does not apply pressure to opposing QB's on a consistent basis.

So ya, it's nice to see him make 1 play during a game for his 6 million per year contract (signing bonus included).

RTB

RTB

842390[/snapback]

Amen!!

RTB

842390[/snapback]

They are doing what they're told to do, which is get upfield and not allow the QB time to throw the ball deep. As Jaworksi says, points come from the passing game and the Bills are selling out at the line and playing deep in the secondary to avoid getting beaten over the top.....for points.

The problem is a lack of talent at DT means this team is going to get blown up in the run game. Hell, we should be thankful that Gary Kubiak had Carr throw that ball on 3rd and 2 at the end of the game. That was a gift from the football gods. Last week, in a simialar situation the Colts ran the ball for a huge gain and put the game away. Three weeks ago, the Packers chucked the game away at the goal line when they could have just waltzed it in. At some point, even the bad teams are going to catch on and run the ball when it matters, and then we're going to need a playmaking DT to make this defense work.

They are doing what they're told to do, which is get upfield and not allow the QB time to throw the ball deep.  As Jaworksi says, points come from the passing game and the Bills are selling out at the line and playing deep in the secondary to avoid getting beaten over the top.....for points.

The problem is a lack of talent at DT means this team is going to get blown up in the run game.  Hell, we should be thankful that Gary Kubiak had Carr throw that ball on 3rd and 2 at the end of the game.  That was a gift from the football gods.  Last week, in a simialar situation the Colts ran the ball for a huge gain and put the game away.  Three weeks ago, the Packers chucked the game away at the goal line when they could have just waltzed it in.  At some point, even the bad teams are going to catch on and run the ball when it matters, and then we're going to need a playmaking DT to make this defense work.

842665[/snapback]

They are being told to go upfield(and very wide!!) with no regard for playing the run? I can't believe the coaches are that dumb, but after the last 5 years, anything is possible.

Kyle Williams was a friggin beast today. I loved seeing him make the tackle on lundy 25 yards downfield. Sam Adams' lard ass would have been at the donut line already watching someone else run to make the tackle.

842357[/snapback]

I did see him chasing Lundy downfield and flopping in his general direction out of bounds, but he didn't make the tackle. In this defense, the run defense is only as good as the DT's and the run defense is awful. In Williams defense, he is the best we have, but that's not saying much. Effort is commendable, results are not. He could use a Fat Sam Adams or Pat Williams to actually make some noise at the point of attack so he didn't have to show off his 5.2 40 speed chasing backs downfield that shouldn't be there in the first place. :doh:

They are being told to go upfield(and very wide!!) with no regard for playing the run?  I can't believe the coaches are that dumb, but after the last 5 years, anything is possible.

842690[/snapback]

Absolutely. This is a true one gap defense and the open gaps are the responsibility of the linebackers. It's not a sound defense unless you have a wealth of playmakers in the front 7, but as the Bills have proven, it prevents big plays and leads to turnovers. It was more or less designed to combat the west coast offense, so it shouldn't be a real surprise that Green Bay and Houston couldn't keep it on the ground when it mattered and ended up getting beaten by it.

842456[/snapback]

Some will never be happy until we field an All Pro team at every position that puts up Tecmo Bowl type stats! All of our best players get this type treatment, in both wins or losses. It seems the haters just find aplayer to bash and flip flop from week to week. Players such as AS, WM, Nate, TKO, Evans, while not the best players at their positions are pretty good and a lot of team would like them on their squads!

........but you were giving your "props" to a player who has a knack for the garbage sack instead of showing up when we need him........

......So ya, it's nice to see him make 1 play during a game for his 6 million per year contract (signing bonus included).

RTB

842481[/snapback]

$4.57mil cap hit this year. :doh:

His run stopping ability aside, Schobels 'garbage time' sack tag is the equivalent to a Bills urban myth. A while back I looked through games & stats of Schobel & other high number sack DEs & he was no different(in fact better) at when & where he gets his sacks in relation to his peers. "I reckon" doesn't cut it when you besmirch someone who has consistently produced. Either show some evidence(legitimate & unbiased).......or stick to "Schobel can't stop the run".

Schobel's one of maybe 3 or 4 players on the defense that are legitimate high-quality NFL starters. He's a speed rusher...he's terrible on draws and traps, just like any speed rusher in the history of the NFL has been. He weighs no more than 250 pounds and if they played a 3-4 would probably be a linebacker...what "moves" do you want him to make? A bullrush against a guy who outweighs him by 90 pounds?

He rushes upfield all of the time because that's his game, and he's pretty damned effective at it. Of course they get burned on draws to his side every time, because the center is able to block Williams/Anderson/Triplett on his own and the guard can kick out and clobber a linebacker. It's really not that complicated.

If we had a defensive tackle that could actually absorb two blockers once in a while, Schobel's "deficiency" wouldn't be very noticeable at all...

They are being told to go upfield(and very wide!!) with no regard for playing the run? 

842690[/snapback]

Levy actually said as much before the game on his TV show.

He said that Houston is primarily a pass first type of team, who sometimes puts 5 receivers into a pattern, and that the pressure must come from the front 4 because the other defenders are needed in coverage.

Actually, I think that Schobel is decent against the run. He is not big enough to wipe people out ala Reggie White, but he holds his ground pretty well, is a hard hitter, and is so fast that he can pursue runners to the other side.

Count me as one of the few who thinks that we are pretty well set at DE. This is why I was puzzled by the trade for Hargrove, unless Marv thinks that Kelsay will walk after the season.

Count me as one of the few who thinks that we are pretty well set at DE. This is why I was puzzled by the trade for Hargrove, unless Marv thinks that Kelsay will walk after the season.

I was puzzled too. If Marv thinks we're going to lose Kelsay he should have drafted Tamba Hali at #8 instead of a freaking safety. Or moved down to get him and pick up an extra pick in the process.

With Hargrove, I gotta wonder if they're considering moving him inside as a quicker DT for thier version of the Cover 2.

Hargrove has a motor...I saw him a few times running his ass off yesterday...he seemed to be around the ball when he was in the game....he plays with emotion...at the GB game he was pumped up on the sideline....they really need players like that...

I couldn't believe we traded for a DE, I was surprised when I heard he was suspended or whatever it was by the rams and we picked him up (character issues), but he seems like he has a lot of positives, we didn't give much up for him and he's young...I think this was a good pick-up

first off, schobel is not resposible for the run on most plays, we need a NT that demands double teams, resulting in the 3 tech being blocked one on one, this is not happening. schobel takes himself out of plays, but that is the scheme, last year I believe he lead all REs in total tackles, he stops the run, if that is what the defense calls for. I've never been a fan of the "tampa cover 2" we do not have the people to run it. maybe in time we will.

also imagine if we really did have an offense and teams had to pass at the end of the game, schobel might break records, instead we have to watch teams run against us in the final minutes.

I like schobel, he represents everything buffalo is, tough, and blue collar.

first off, schobel is not resposible for the run on most plays,

843228[/snapback]

I'm not going to proclaim that I have access to the Bills playbook or I know what the coaches are telling the players to do, but if what you say is true, than I guess I shouldn't be pissed at AS, and redirect my anger at the defensive coaches instead. I really don't care what scheme they play, but when a RB can run through gaping holes where a DE or other player should be, something is F***ed up and adjustments need to be made. A team that runs the ball as poorly as Houston does, should not be able to pile up the yardage they did yesterday.