Is anyone still enjoying last year's

Albany,n.y.

I hope the people who were gleeful last Christmas Eve still have that feeling of euphoria. 

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the New York Jets have the anchor of their O-line in D'Brick-the guy we would have drafted if we had lost at Cincinnati.

Have another eggnog, and keep that Cincy win euphoria alive!

839415[/snapback]

Why stop at the Cinci game? Why not go back to every game in every year and figure out who we could have drafted? :w00t:

I doubt you ever played competitve sports if you advocate losing on purpose to improve your draft position.

I hope the people who were gleeful last Christmas Eve still have that feeling of euphoria. 

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the New York Jets have the anchor of their O-line in D'Brick-the guy we would have drafted if we had lost at Cincinnati.

839415[/snapback]

Nice logic. Because the Jets really tanked against the Bills in Week 17, right? They had a shot at the #1 or #2 pick (where everyone was convinced D'Brick was going at the time.)

And yes, I'm still enjoying the win. :lol:

We could have had Mangold when we traded up to get McCargo, getting sicker with each reply :lol:

839426[/snapback]

Sure, but... is center really the biggest problem right now?

Really, I don't think so. Our worst problems lie at both guard positions (particularly right) and whichever tackle position Peters isn't playing. The best-case scenario is that Merz and/or Pennington start to 'get it' and less needs to be addressed this offseason.

You obviously don't live amongst Bengals fans.

I can once again remind them that the lowly Buffalo Bills beat them, in their house, in a season that might've been their only opportunity to EVER see the playoffs again (ok, maybe not, but there are some bridge jumpers in these parts).

Go Bills!

839415[/snapback]

Wasn't that the game that Chad 'Dick-wad' Johnson was saying he had an injured deer in his garage that he hit with his car, and was gonna use it as some sort of reindeer gimmick to celebrate a touchdown?

Anyway, good point - our aspiration should always be to lose every game, so we improve in the draft. :lol:

Wasn't that the game that Chad 'Dick-wad' Johnson was saying he had an injured deer in his garage that he hit with his car, and was gonna use it as some sort of reindeer gimmick to celebrate a touchdown?

Anyway, good point - our aspiration should always be to lose every game, so we improve in the draft.  :lol:

840080[/snapback]

I actually was hoping he would score one (but we'd still win) just to see if he was talking out of his @ss all week, or if he had something.

Instead the Refs watched over him, they practically had a security team out ther to make sure he didn't do anything, and all he did was take out a bag of Bengal merchandise he signed and tossed it to the crowd (which was a nice gesture by him and something that should not be frowned upon by the league)

I actually was hoping he would score one (but we'd still win) just to see if he was talking out of his @ss all week, or if he had something.

Instead the Refs watched over him, they practically had a security team out ther to make sure he didn't do anything, and all he did was take out a bag of Bengal merchandise he signed and tossed it to the crowd (which was a nice gesture by him and something that should not be frowned upon by the league)

840086[/snapback]

The NFL was probably pissed that NFL goods were being given out free and that they lost revenue of a few hundred dollars....after all the NFL watches the bottom of its revenue stream closelyu..... :lol:

Anyway, good point - our aspiration should always be to lose every game, so we improve in the draft.  :lol:

840080[/snapback]

Big difference is when you're 4-10 with 2 weeks to go, virtually nothing good comes from a win. Worse yet was at the time, I still had hopes that Mularkey would wake up & give JP one more game to get experience. Once we beat Cincinnati, Holcomb was a lock to finish the season & JP didn't play.

If JP had started the game & lit it up & gave me hope for this season, I would have been happy with the win & would be eagerly anticipating game 16 & this season. Instead, the only good thing that could have possibly come from that game was taken away before the kickoff with Holcomb named the starter.

Big difference is when you're 4-10 with 2 weeks to go, virtually nothing good comes from a win.  Worse yet was at the time, I still had hopes that Mularkey would wake up & give JP one more game to get experience.  Once we beat Cincinnati, Holcomb was a lock to finish the season & JP didn't play. 

If JP had started the game & lit it up & gave me hope for this season, I would have been happy with the win & would be eagerly anticipating game 16 & this season.  Instead, the only good thing that could have possibly come from that game was taken away before the kickoff with Holcomb named the starter.

840287[/snapback]

Right. I would have wanted Losman over Holcomb for both of those games, and that was the biggest problem. I always prefer winning to losing regardless of draft position (would have been nice to be higher and take Peppers, but it would have been cool to pick lower and have Mike Williams already taken).

I am pissed about D'Brick as LT is the only position on the o-line worth using high picks on IMO. Don't really care about Mangold. I think it speaks volumes about the lack of quality in your front office if you have to use a high pick to address the centre position.

It is purely idiotic to want your team to lose for draft positioning. For the numerous high draft picks that amount to nothing...say Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Mike Williams, and countless others...you just never know how things will pan out. I can't believe some Bills fans...we lose way too much, way to have a losers mentality.

839415[/snapback]

i am. that was a fun game.

It is purely idiotic to want your team to lose for draft positioning. For the numerous high draft picks that amount to nothing...say Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Mike Williams, and countless others...you just never know how things will pan out. I can't believe some Bills fans...we lose way too much, way to have a losers mentality.

840374[/snapback]

You just gave some of the worst examples of why the draft is a crapshoot. Just because 3 teams were stupid enough to draft the players you mentioned too high, doesn't make the draft, especially in the top 4, the crapshoot you think it is. As for the 2 QBs, both were drafted too high because of the desperation of teams. Teams often take a QB, who is not the top QB taken, too high. Best to not reach like those 2 were. For example: Ryan Leaf showed major signs of immaturity at the combine, coming in overweight, treating the Colts with no respect etc. He was also an underclassman, which account for a very high percentage of QB failures among high draft picks. Leaf was not the 1st QB taken, Manning was and is a major success. Akili Smith was the 3rd QB taken in his class, here are his red flags: A record of off field troubles, choosing baseball 1st out of high school-virtually no QB has succeeded who chose baseball over football and then went back to football, he was a one year wonder, which produces a very high bust rate among QBs and worst of all, he had no ability to read defenses. A decent scout would have never recommended Smith. Let's go to our whipping boy, Mike Williams: Huge red flag-over 350 lbs in college. Look at the guys over 350 in college & the bust rate is sky high. It's because a weight problem as a hungry collegian only gets worse as a well paid pro. A stupid selection!

Now it really depends on the strength of the year's draft. But when a star who does not have red flags and is at an impact position such as QB, OT, DL is available around the top of the draft, you better hope your team is picking high enough to get him if your a constant loser. RBs, WRs, are a dime a dozen and should never be top 5 picks with few exceptions. If there is no impact player at one of those 3 positions, having a top 5 pick is a curse, not a blessing-all depends on the year.

Lets look at recent drafts since 1995 at those 3 positions:

2006, which is probably too soon but: 1-Williams, 3-Young-red flagged for underclassman QB and style which might not translate to NFL, 4-Ferguson.

2005: 1-Smith-red flagged for underclass QB

2004: 1-Manning, 2-Gallery(possible bust, no red flags) 4-Rivers (emerging superstar)

2003: 1-Palmer-one of the Bengals brightest stars, 4-Robertson

2002: This was just a bad year, just our luck that we picked high in a draft with only 1 talented player in the top 5. 1-Carr 2 Peppers 3-Harrington 4-Williams -red flags above

2001: 1-Vick-red flagged underclass QB, 2-Davis-red flagged over 350 lbs 3-Warren 4-Smith

2000: 1-Brown 3-Samuels

1999: 1-Couch-red flagged underclass QB, 2-McNabb 3-Smith-red flags above

1998: 1-Manning 2-Leaf -red flags above 3-Wadsworth

1997 1-Pace 2-Russell

1996 3-Rice 4-Ogden

1995 2-Boselli 3-McNair

My conclusion-If I'm looking to turn a team around, if I can get a top 4 pick when there is a QB or OT with no red flags, the odds are I'm going to get a difference maker. DL is a little dicier, too many busts to rely on getting a difference maker, but if you end up with a Peppers or a Bruce Smith, you're golden. Players like Tony Boselli, Steve McNair, Jon Ogden, Orlando Pace, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers and D'Brickashaw Ferguson just aren't available if you win one too many meaningless games in the last two weeks of the season.

Oh I know ... the Bills could have had the center position taken care of for the next decade, but noooooooooooooo, we went with Clutch McCargo - the third best d-lineman at NC State in 2005.

839532[/snapback]

I agree, he was the third best on a line of great players. Did anyone stop to think that maybe he looked great because he was surrounded by the best defensive line in football? Everyone here uses the argument that a good O-line makes the QB look better, well it works both ways. I was against the McCargo pick myself for that reason.