Has anyone heard Smerlas on WGR

seq004

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred is the biggest Tom Brady sucking Pats are the greatest homer that ever lived. He can't even form words because his lips are so tight on Brady's butt. He has no logic what so ever. I don't even want to listen to the guy again. <_<Fred has lost it.

789984[/snapback]

Wow. That's good stuff. Smerlas is a total idiot, and get's his ass handed to him. According to Fred, eleven games is more than enough time to judge Losman, yet in the same breath commends SD for taking 27 starts to evaluate Drew Brees, and still considers NE to be the best team in football. Why is he even allowed on the radio in WNY?

I think Smerlas is a two-faced jerk, but he was actually complimentary towards JP at the beginning of the interview. Where he lost it is refusing to acknowledge that JP was set-back in his development by the broken leg and a horrible coaching staff. Now maybe if he were healthy and had say, Charlie Weis coaching him, it would be a different story.

And in a similar vein, he's using the Tom Brady angle, i.e. a QB who "won" the SB in his 2nd year. However unlike with JP, the Bills' defense is nowhere NEAR the Pats' defense from that or any of the other SB years. If they did, the team would be 3-0 right now.

And in a similar vein, he's using the Tom Brady angle, i.e. a QB who "won" the SB in his 2nd year.  However unlike with JP, the Bills' defense is nowhere NEAR the Pats' defense from that or any of the other SB years.  If they did, the team would be 3-0 right now.

790088[/snapback]

Yeah, and the Bills aren't handed games on a consistent basis by the refs. New England doesn't even earn half of their victories. The league loves them.

Smerlas is also a TD fan (before he was fired, Smerlas seemed almost certain that he would be the Bills new radio color analyst, and his best friend Jim Haslett would be the next Bills headcoach)....as well as a noted Marv Levy basher...to use his own language, Smerlas is "lower dan a earf-worm"...to, me, all the veritol (and none of it really based on any sort of fact) had spewed about the Bills and Ralph Wilson over the years, makes it all the more shocking he was put on the Bills wall of fame...yet Ralph won't let go of a 30-something year-old grudge against Lou Saban?

Yeah, and the Bills aren't handed games on a consistent basis by the refs.  New England doesn't even earn half of their victories.  The league loves them.

790090[/snapback]

He keeps forgetting that the Pats don't even go to the superbowl without the tuck rule....they would be staying back home.

Have I mentioned recently how much I despise Fred Smerlas?

His argument was Holcomb's Arm-esque. He made as much sense as JDG in K-Dog's Losman/Pennington thread. He is not only a flaming asswipe, he's about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Nuff said.

After hearing that interview I wouldn't mind seeing Fred removed from the Wall.

Can someone at least throw a sheet over his name this week?

He's so hard to understand.

Was he always this stupid?

790112[/snapback]

Remember, he played nosetackle. Too many shots to the helmet... <_<

They're making fun of Buffalo and Howard Simon on the Boston station right now.  Smerlas is a class act.  They just called Howard Simon a whiney B word.

790302[/snapback]

Whiney.... Maybe

B word........ No.

<_<

Smerlas is perfect for Simon and Whitey in Diapers. All three are terrible at what they do. When you think GR cant get any worse.........it does. The only thing that would have made that segment more miserable would have been that tool Brad Riter.

Fred is the biggest Tom Brady sucking Pats are the greatest homer that ever lived. He can't even form words because his lips are so tight on Brady's butt. He has no logic what so ever. I don't even want to listen to the guy again. :DFred has lost it.

789984[/snapback]

Anybody going to the game got a sheet of cardboard and a Sharpie?

Might be fun to see a few "Take Fred off the wall" signs at the game this week.

:o

What a punk.  Loved how he gets called out for his stupidity and then tries to resort to the "I played the game so I know everything" B.S. The man is too stupid to be alive.

790490[/snapback]

Simon had a great response for that at a symposium I attended a couple of years ago. He asked everyone in the room to raise their hand if they had an opinion on the upcoming presidential election. (Of course, most of us did.) He then asked how many of us had ever held an elected office. Silence.

Obviously, Smerlas knows more about the finer points of playing nosetackle than a couple of guys with broadcasting degrees, but I agree the "you know nothing unless you've actually played" line of thought is BS.

I will never say anything bad about what Fred Smerlas did as a Buffalo Bill, on the field. Away from the field, in his post career days, he has consistantly been an ass. I have heard him many times over the years. He had a brief stint (about a year or so) as a weekend fill-in on, I believe, Sporting News Radio, a few years ago. Then, as now, he took every opportunity he could to be deragatory toward the Buffalo Bills franchise, the players on the team (no matter who), the city of Buffalo, and Buffalonians.

A couple of years ago, he started doing a segment on Rochester radio, WHAM...it was the same story, but, he always defended Tom Donahoe. According to him, all of the Bills problems could be blamed on any number of things, never TD. He was always brutal on Losman (even though he was TD's pick)...he softened his tone a bit, toward the end of last season, when it appeared the Bills might make a coaching change. He began to lobby for Haslett (his "best friend"), and seem to think his relationship with TD made him the best chance for the Bills. Smerlas then began to lobby, on the radio, for "fans" to let the Bills know, he (Smerlas) would be a great color commentator for the Bills radio broadcasts. I remember him saying the Bills did not really make much of an effort to reach out to former players (even though the man was put on the Wall not so long ago, a TD era decision I believe), and that they should.

Well, once TD got canned (a move that shocked him as much as it did TD it seemed), he went into full pandering mode, because he really wanted Haslett to get the Bills job. When Marv was named GM, perhaps realizing he had trashed Levy repeatedly over the years, Smerlas began kissing his ass as well. He had nothing bad to say about the Bills for about a month, accept Mike Mularkey. Once MM quit, and Haslett did not get the job, Smerlas went back to blasting the Bills at every opportunity.

I can take people criticizing the Bills, they have been doing it for as long as I can remember. It doesn't bother me if Smerlas think JP Losman is the worst QB he has seen in years (he said that last season)...what is so offensive about him, is that most of his criticisms have no root in reality, are ever supported by anything other than opinion, an "old school" mentality (something that often sounds more admirable than it is), and, honestly, he comes off as a biggoted idiot.

Why GR, EEI, or WHAM would give him a forum, I have no idea. Why his name is plastered on the wall of the Ralph, in honor, when there are plenty of equally deserving candidates, is beyond me. I am so glad the Jim Haslett did not get the head coaching job in Buffalo...they say you can tell a lot about a person by the friends that they keep...

I think stations put him on the air because he's a loud mouth jerk. He gets people riled and that is good for ratings. I rarely see threads about other guys WGR has on regularly. He is a small minded biggot and a proud flag waver for the republican party.

I think stations put him on the air because he's a loud mouth jerk.  He gets people riled and that is good for ratings.  I rarely see threads about other guys WGR has on regularly.  He is a small minded biggot and a proud flag waver for the republican party.

790508[/snapback]

He's Catholic. You forgot to mention he's Catholic too. That would make even more people dislike him. :D

Smerlas hates Levy because Marv cut his ass and he went to SF where he sat on the pine behind Jim Burt. After they threw him out of town he went back home and hitched a ride on the newengland pastries. Who wouldn't be bitter with that body and face?

Wow.  That's good stuff.  Smerlas is a total idiot, and get's his ass handed to him.  According to Fred, eleven games is more than enough time to judge Losman, yet in the same breath commends SD for taking 27 starts to evaluate Drew Brees, and still considers NE to be the best team in football.  Why is he even allowed on the radio in WNY?

790018[/snapback]

Did you even listen? I doubt it.

Smerlas brought up great points. How long do you baby a player before he needs to step out on his own and make plays. There comes a time when a player shows some signs of being that QB. Loaman has not.

Fred was right about it being 11 starts in three seasons. Losman didn't come out of the stands. He's been playing football since he was a kid. He should at this point be showing some composure.

It was fun listening to Simon get caught off gaurd. White had nothing to say other then "11 starts". Usally when thr GR guys start to get run over they just hit the button and start yelling. Riter is the best at that. They completly ignore the points and try to distract from how unprepared they are. They couldn't do that with Fred. He's a big guy with a big mouth who got his point across loud and clear despite Simon and White trying to yell over him. :D

I think you just B word for the sake of bitching.

790521[/snapback]

Not at all.

Fred had great points that Simon and White couldn't defend against so they start yelling to make up for them being unprepared.

I miss the days of WNSA. Actual sports talk. Not 'Ranking the 5 top Paul's'.

The WGR staff is always unprepared. Their job is to talk sports. All they have to do is watch sports and read what others write about sports. How easy is that. How many times do you hear on WGR. "I didn't watch that game. I watched 'Lost' " or " I don't watch basketball" or some other relevant sport.

If you have a chance. Catch 'Mike and the Maddog' on the YES Network some afternoon. Actual sports talk by guys who are prepared to talk sports. It's a breath of fresh air.

I will say one positvie about WGR. Shoop and Bulldog are really good with Jerry Sullivan. Mike and Jerry can really talk sports because they both like sports other then hockey and football. I just wish GR would program other shows more like that segment. :D

If you have a chance. Catch 'Mike and the Maddog' on the YES Network some afternoon. Actual sports talk by guys who are prepared to talk sports. It's a breath of fresh air.

790538[/snapback]

I do watch them occasionally and you are correct about their show. I'm not sure what HoSi is trying to accomplish most mornings on that show. I don't tune in very often any more. Too many, "Name your favorite cheese" type shows.

Did you even listen? I doubt it.

Smerlas brought up great points. How long do you baby a player before he needs to step out on his own and make plays. There comes a time when a player shows some signs of being that QB. Loaman has not.

790519[/snapback]

And yet when Howard brought Drew Brees up Smerlas was reduced to a babbling idiot.

Tried to blame the "system" as the reason Rivers was drafted, not Brees' poor play. Brees did fine in that "system" when Rivers held out though...

They're still babying Big Ben in Pittsburgh. When was the last time his arm won a game? It took until his 14th game to get over 300 yards, and has only done it once since (in a loss). Every game he's had 31+ attempts (3x) they've lost, and he's suddenly looking quite pedestrian without the Bus there to carry the offense.

I do watch them occasionally and you are correct about their show.  I'm not sure what HoSi is trying to accomplish most mornings on that show.  I don't tune in very often any more.  Too many, "Name your favorite cheese" type shows.

790545[/snapback]

Seems like the sports channels feel the need to "compete" with the morning talk shows by doing some non-sports content. Don't know why, but even WNSA did that. You'd really notice when someone was moved from afternoons to mornings for example, as in the afternoon they would have talked sports the whole time, and when they move to mornings all of a sudden they become Mr. Wild-and-Wacky or some-such.

Not that I think WGR is great shakes. I really miss WNSA, can't listen to Mike & the Bulldog, though it is nice to see that WGR has patched things up with the Bills and now aren't automatically negative....

And yet when Howard brought Drew Brees up Smerlas was reduced to a babbling idiot.

Tried to blame the "system" as the reason Rivers was drafted, not Brees' poor play.  Brees did fine in that "system" when Rivers held out though...

They're still babying Big Ben in Pittsburgh.  When was the last time his arm won a game?  It took until his 14th game to get over 300 yards, and has only done it once since (in a loss).  Every game he's had 31+ attempts (3x) they've lost, and he's suddenly looking quite pedestrian without the Bus there to carry the offense.

790563[/snapback]

By his 11th game Brees had already shown signs of being an NFL QB. JP has done nothing.

As far as Big Ben? It just proves it takes more then an arm to win in the NFL. Which is something Losman just doesn't get. Ben makes smart plays. He makes the right decision

most of the time. And he wins. But I do look forward to your post where you try to tell me that JP's first 11 starts are more impressive then Bens and that all of his wins and the SB ring mean nothing. :D

Seems like the sports channels feel the need to "compete" with the morning talk shows by doing some non-sports content.  Don't know why, but even WNSA did that.  You'd really notice when someone was moved from afternoons to mornings for example, as in the afternoon they would have talked sports the whole time, and when they move to mornings all of a sudden they become Mr. Wild-and-Wacky or some-such.

Not that I think WGR is great shakes.  I really miss WNSA, can't listen to Mike & the Bulldog, though it is nice to see that WGR has patched things up with the Bills and now aren't automatically negative....

790566[/snapback]

Think part of it is the timeslot itself -- lot harder to book guests for 7am than for an afernoon drive or evening slot, especially in a field conditioned by evening gametimes and late-night deadlines.

And I think you're correct about the difference in production; while I was okay with Jimmy B's work on Empire, I absolutely detested his morning-show act. The "Bambi" junk never would've flown in the 3-6 slot.

Seems like I recall hearing, back in the NSA days, that Simon couldn't wait to get off the morning shift. Now he's back there, and has to deal with both Smerlas and ChuckieD on a weekly basis? He has my sympathy...

Now, as to Drew Brees: anyone remember the fourteenth start of his career? Right here at the Ralph. He absolutely reeked that day, and ended up getting benched for Freddie's buddy Flutie...