Who on this franchise would do this?

RuntheDamnBall

This is not cool at all.

Coles-Bills

EXTRA POINTS

Receiver Laveranues Coles was walking off the field after the Jets’ season-ending victory against the Bills on Jan. 1 when a Bills’ linebacker approached him and made a homophobic comment having to do with Coles’s revelation earlier in the season that he was molested as a child. Coles was asked if the comment by the player, whom he refused to identify but who is still with the Bills, would add to his motivation to perform well Sunday.

“No,” Coles said. “I compete. I play hard.” He added: “People are going to have negative things to say. There’s nothing I can do about that.”

I don't see this happening, but I could be wrong.  I seriously doubt it was Fletcher or Spikes.  They don't seem the type to talk that type of smack.

781543[/snapback]

I wouldn't think so. Especially not Spikes because he wouldn't have seen the field. This strikes me as the kind of thing a weaker player says to catch an edge.

That's terrible.  Whoever said it should be off the team, I don't care if it was

Spikes or Fletcher.

781681[/snapback]

I agree. Talk about a low character move, that's just pathetic and completely inexcusable.

I am not upset with the comment itself, I'm upset at the timing. You just lost the game and then you pull out a nuke like that? What good does it do us? If you are going to pull a stunt like that, at least do it on a 3rd and 7.

781694[/snapback]

I think judging by your post about McMichael's wife and this one you might be in line for some sensitivity training. Some things are just not right at all to bring up, and using someone's experience of child abuse as an occasion for taunting is just about the worst thing I can think of in terms of non-physical harm.

If you're an inferior player, the last thing you have to do is prove you're an inferior human being to catch some kind of edge.

I think judging by your post about McMichael's wife and this one you might be in line for some sensitivity training.  Some things are just not right at all to bring up, and using someone's experience of child abuse as an occasion for taunting is just about the worst thing I can think of in terms of non-physical harm.

If you're an inferior player, the last thing you have to do is prove you're an inferior human being to catch some kind of edge.

781698[/snapback]

I take back the McMichael given the fact of the circumstances here which I did not know at the time.

My point on this one is that not only is it crass, it is bad timing. Whoever did it is showing double stupidity. Just a pathetic loser.

By the way....I've got $50 that says Coles gets teased about it by Jets players. It's the culture.

I take back the McMichael given the fact of the circumstances here which I did not know at the time.

My point on this one is that not only is it crass, it is bad timing. Whoever did it is showing double stupidity. Just a pathetic loser.

By the way....I've got $50 that says Coles gets teased about it by Jets players. It's the culture.

781769[/snapback]

If there were any way to prove it, I'd say regardless of the culture, probably not. As a man that's just something that nobody wants to deal with, and I'm sure that the first person to mention it in the Jets locker room would get their head shoved into a locker. With good reason.

781769[/snapback]

I take it you've never been inside a lockerroom. I'll take your 50$ right now. There are a lot of things that get thrown around inside a lockerroom, I'll put my house up that say that isn't one of them.

I take it you've never been inside a lockerroom.  I'll take your 50$ right now.  There are a lot of things that get thrown around inside a lockerroom, I'll put my house up that say that isn't one of them.

781773[/snapback]

You are on.

Believe it or not, I've seen crazier situations than Coles with pro-athletes that get teased about. It's not about putting the guy down...it's about lightening up a horrible situation and letting them know they are still one of the guys. It probably isn't a common thing now, but when it first happened I'm sure something was said.

781769[/snapback]

Sadly, you are probably completely right about him getting teased by the Jets players themselves. If not out loud, I'm sure it has been discussed in circles by other players and jokes have been made.

Good observation about it being the "culture", an opinion that I would venture is as close to true as possible.

It could've been anyone.  Let's not kid ourselves and pretend we know any of these guys, or that the fact that they're nice guys in certain contexts means they're above this sort of thing.

781787[/snapback]

Sadly, you're probably right. Disappointment in other human beings tends to be the rule, rather than the exception, these days.

I don't see this happening, but I could be wrong.  I seriously doubt it was Fletcher or Spikes.  They don't seem the type to talk that type of smack.

781543[/snapback]

It could have been any one of about 1/2 of the players on the team. Let's face it - football is a very violent sport, and is not exactly full of "high charachter" guys... I saw a special on the game a few years ago and you wouldn't believe the things that are said at the line of scrimmage and in the individual matchups. It's so competitive and there is so much emotion that a person in the heat of battle might be inclined to say just about anything, especially if it is hurtful or a sensitive area as is the case with Coles. I wouldn't read to much into it - it was likely a comment that would never be made off the field...