syhuang

Comparison of Safeties taken in Round 1:

NAME TOT SOLO AST SACK TLOSS FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

Michael Huff 5 4 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Donte Whitner 15 7 8 0 0 0 0 1 10 10 10 0 1

Jason Allen 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Oh yeah, and just for comparison, our 4th round pick:

Ko Simpson 11 5 6 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true.  Everyone was talking about how Hudson Houck turned the Dols' O-line into one of the NFL's best in just an off-season, when in fact it was mostly because of Gus Frerotte.  Over the off-season they jettisoned JAG Damion McIntosh and replaced him with big-money and former 1st round FA LJ Shelton, which many considered an upgrade, and replaced McKinney with Bennie Anderson, who most felt would be no worse in pass protection and much better in run-blocking.  Oh well. <_<

779975[/snapback]

i read about the purported magic of houk, but i never read anything about the competence of any of the phins' linemen.

Comparison of Safeties taken in Round 1:

NAME              TOT SOLO AST SACK TLOSS FF  BK  INT  YDS  AVG LNG  TD  PD

Michael Huff        5    4      1      0        1    0    0    0      0    0      0    0    0

Donte Whitner    15    7      8      0        0    0    0    1    10  10    10    0    1

Jason Allen          0    0      0      0        0    0    0    0      0    0      0    0    0

Oh yeah, and just for comparison, our 4th round pick:

Ko Simpson        11    5      6    1.0      0    0    0    0      0    0.0    0    0    0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

779986[/snapback]

i love our new safeties, but i wouldn't put much stock in tackle stats. bad teams get credited for more tackles than good teams, and in any event *someone* has to make the tackle every down. good teams that shut down the run have LBs with high tackle stats; bad teams that can't stop the run see safeties with high tackle stats.

Bottom line is you have to draft when it's your turn.  I don't see how Whitner is somehow a dumb pick at 8th overall but a brilliant pick at 15th overall.  If the Bills had selected all the same players either two picks earlier or two picks later, the quality of the draft doesn't change.

The got the player they wanted and he's playing great so far!  Draft day should be all about getting the players you want, not hoarding draft picks.  If the Bills draft nine players in seven rounds and none of them turns out that great, then it's a crappy draft.

Yes, it would be nice to trade down, pick up another draft pick, and still get all the players on your shopping list (and an extra one) but it's not easy to find another team willing to trade or knowing which teams like the same players you do and will grab your player while you're waiting for your trade-down pick to arrive.

779969[/snapback]

Agreed, and not to mention the fact that it all happens in 15 minutes (in the first round). They have to be thinking sharp, and quick. I realize we're all on the same page or thereabouts, but can anyone REALLY criticize Whitner's performance? That 2-point conversion "stuff" was enough for me. Jesus, talk about closing speed. It makes me shake my head sardonically when I think about the press clippings we were reading (and Kool-Aid we were drinking) a couple of years ago about Vincent and Milloy. Remember how we were supposed to have this dynamite safety tandem because - combined - they had about three ice ages worth of experience between them? PLEASE spare me. I'll take this kid any day of the week.

And so will everyone on this board.

.....C'mon R-man, are you seriously ready (after 2 games) to deem every blocker selected after Whittner a mediocre player? ......

779721[/snapback]

I agree with your sentiment there Bill but....

Are you seriously ready to deem every blocker selected after Whitner a non-bust?

I know you have not said that but that is how you are coming across.

Whitner was considered before the draft to be one of the closest draft prospects to being NFL ready....or to put it a different way....one of the surest picks in the draft. I cannot comprehend why this attribute in a draft pick is not considered(by all) to be one of the major ones to look for. 50% of the 1st round are busts....Including top 10....let alone 2nd+ rounds.

Even if you made the trade down, the odds of getting a non-bust player with the extra 2nd round pick are what??? 40%....30%....??

It looks like the assessment of Whitner was correct. He has stepped into the NFL & has already started making plays.

I too want us to draft OL in the first day....pretty much every year. I don't however want us to blindly draft players based on that concept. If we are more sure of player A than player B....take player A...unless we have so much talent that we can afford the luxury of gambling.

In the end....the goal is to draft players that can play football....not to simply draft players.

i read about the purported magic of houk, but i never read anything about the competence of any of the phins' linemen.

779987[/snapback]

Good point. <_<

Oh, and that triceps tear has knocked Bennie Anderson out for the season. If he was one of their best five linemen, I hope (for his sake) Daunte Culpepper's insurance premiums are paid up...

The thinking was that if Houck took the bunch of guys they had there last year and over an off-season created a line that allowed just 26 sacks (which is almost half of the 51 they allowed the year before), that "better" talent in LJ Shelton and Bennie Anderson over their predecessors was going to make the line elite, or close to it.

Good point. <_<

Oh, and that triceps tear has knocked Bennie Anderson out for the season. If he was one of their best five linemen, I hope (for his sake) Daunte Culpepper's insurance premiums are paid up...

780005[/snapback]

Oh, don't be telling me things like that. I start thinking scary thoughts like 9-7 records and an outside shot at division titles........

The thinking was that if Houck took the bunch of guys they had there last year and over an off-season created a line that allowed just 26 sacks (which is almost half of the 51 they allowed the year before), that "better" talent in LJ Shelton and Bennie Anderson over their predecessors was going to make the line elite, or close to it.

780008[/snapback]

People considered Bennie Anderson better? Certainly no Bils fans did, well maybe one Bills fan did.

People considered Bennie Anderson better?  Certainly no Bils fans did, well maybe one Bills fan did.

Better...in relation to who the Dols had there last year (Steve McKinney), who as I said was bad in pass protection and nothing much in the run game. Anderson was supposed to be a great run-blocker and by his own admission (FWIW, which is nothing), is better playing the right-side. And under Houck's tutelage...

Better...in relation to who the Dols had there last year (Steve McKinney), who as I said was bad in pass protection and nothing much in the run game.  Anderson was supposed to be a great run-blocker and by his own admission (FWIW, which is nothing), is better playing the right-side.  And under Houck's tutelage...

780044[/snapback]

Did Anderson impress you as a run blocker? Do you think Houck is better than Mc Nally? Most Bills fans I know of were thrilled when the Dolphins picked up Bennie Anderson. Its a pity that the didn't pick up Mike Williams and Trey Teague as well.

McCargo is the only pick we will regret making in this whole draft, IMO. He could be a good defensive lineman, but even if so, it's looking like Kyle Williams is going to be outstanding anyways. It's hard to say that you used a second round pick on a rotation player...

We would he been much better off using the pick on an offensive lineman or a linebacker.

McCargo is the only pick we will regret making in this whole draft, IMO. He could be a good defensive lineman, but even if so, it's looking like Kyle Williams is going to be outstanding anyways. It's hard to say that you used a second round pick on a rotation player...

We would he been much better off using the pick on an offensive lineman or a linebacker.

780123[/snapback]

You don't feel it's a bit premature to make that judgement?

You don't feel it's a bit premature to make that judgement?

780129[/snapback]

We've already seen two games; why wait for three?

[/sarcasm]

(To be fair, though, everyone's entitled to an opinion...)

Did Anderson impress you as a run blocker?  Do you think Houck is better than Mc Nally?  Most Bills fans I know of were thrilled when the Dolphins picked up Bennie Anderson.  Its a pity that the didn't pick up Mike Williams and Trey Teague as well.

I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about the general perception of the Dolphins' O-line. I knew they'd suck.

780123[/snapback]

McCargo was a first round pick. How can you have an opinion after two games? If the first two games made a career then JP would have gone from hall of famer to burger flipper last year.