I like Sam Wyche a lot, but

nodnarb

Reading this article gives me hope and a little bit o' consternation. I never had confidence in Mularkey, but I had confidence in Wyche. Now I learn that JP was infused with knowledge of the game but poorly coached in his fundamentals...? Why didn't they observe these things?

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060902/1018432.asp

I was a little miffed too.

But it wouldn't be the first time that a genuinely nice guy, a funny guy, a guy you like and who has developed great QBs before just didn't get the job done. Maybe SW was out of coaching for too long. Maybe it wasn't a good fit. Sometimes it goes like that.

One of the things that stood out to me lately was a comment during JP's post-Cincy press conference regarding one of the big coaching differences he sees this year over last.

Essentially he said Jauron doesn't want him running "by design." He only wants him running if it becomes "the natural thing to do." What that said to me was the offense last year ran a lot of plays that were built around Losman's scrambling abilities. Now, in hindsight, that's not only obvious, but something I thought was a good idea, until you realize they were encouraging him to take off. That would make it hard for Wyche to really drill him on the basic fundamentals.

Admittedly, I know nothing of quarterback fundamentals, but it would seem to me that if your scrambling ability is an expected part of the offensive scheme, then your footwork fundamentals will get messed up when it comes time to set back, survey the field, and throw.

Another comment made by someone somewhere was regarding the deep touchdown pass to Price: last year, JP would have taken off, and yes, he would've picked up some decent yardage, but his impatience was costing him these big plays.

I was a little miffed too.

But it wouldn't be the first time that a genuinely nice guy, a funny guy, a guy you like and who has developed great QBs before just didn't get the job done. Maybe SW was out of coaching for too long. Maybe it wasn't a good fit. Sometimes it goes like that.

759530[/snapback]

My thoughts to; just an example of a truly mediocre coaching staff, including Wyche, who was a good qb coach 20+ years ago, an eternity in terms of the NFL. When it comes to coaching in the NFL, you get what you pay for, and for the longest time this organization was unwilling tp pay for a top flight coaching staff.

If you really want to get miffed, read the Kilgore article on the front page. In addition to being a dysfunctional staff, the team was not conditioned well, thanks to MM forcing Rusty out and bringing in his buddy. He didn't specifically say it, but the implication is that they are a much better conditioned team this year. Fundamentals and basics - nice to see them back in town :)

How can you have a completion rate of 50+% if every other ball bounces off the ground at the receivers' feet? :)

Hey, VaBills, do you agree with JP's self-assessment?

Losman said. "I'm not hopping and bouncing. Last year I got back too fast and things weren't open yet. So then I'm hitching and hitching kind of fast, and it throws you off a little. Then I'd try to gun it in at the last second. So obviously you'll have inaccurate passes."

I think the "new" JP is a reflection of the overall difference between Mularkey and Jauron. Mularkey, even before he got to Buffalo, is a proponent of the scrambling QB, gadget plays, plays that depend more on deceiving the defense than just beating them, etc etc...this type of offense can work, to a dgree, if you have the right players. The Bills did not, Mularkey just didn't seem to be able to accept that. So, as LA said, it is a logical assumption that the coaching staff stressed mobility issues more with JP, as opposed to the fundamentals of throwing the football...they seemed to want JP to just recognize when he could take advantage of all of his "playmakers", like Roscoe and Shaud Williams, etc etc.

Jauron has never had that kind of offense. It is a more meat and potatoes offense, three yards and a cloud of dust....now Fairchild came from the wide open St Louis offense as we all know....but don't forget, he was a running backs coach. I think this offense will be more run dominant, but, JP will be armed for passing plays, when they need them, and when they are available....

Reading this article gives me hope and a little bit o' consternation. I never had confidence in Mularkey, but I had confidence in Wyche. Now I learn that JP was infused with knowledge of the game but poorly coached in his fundamentals...? Why didn't they observe these things?

759513[/snapback]

Since everyone is venturing a guess, maybe under the circumstances, Wyche didn't want to overwhelm Losman with technique when he was just struggling to process what was going on after the snap.

Since everyone is venturing a guess, maybe under the circumstances, Wyche didn't want to overwhelm Losman with technique when he was just struggling to process what was going on after the snap.

759604[/snapback]

Or maybe Mularkey just wanted his friend Sam to save his voice for later in the season. You know, kinda like sitting Willis on 3rd downs to save him from getting worn out.

759604[/snapback]

Could be. There were a lot of things to work on and fix with JP. And one of the many reasons he tanked IMO was that he had information overload. Thanks again to MM.

One of the things that stood out to me lately was a comment during JP's post-Cincy press conference regarding one of the big coaching differences he sees this year over last.

Essentially he said Jauron doesn't want him running "by design." He only wants him running if it becomes "the natural thing to do." What that said to me was the offense last year ran a lot of plays that were built around Losman's scrambling abilities. Now, in hindsight, that's not only obvious, but something I thought was a good idea, until you realize they were encouraging him to take off. That would make it hard for Wyche to really drill him on the basic fundamentals.

Admittedly, I know nothing of quarterback fundamentals, but it would seem to me that if your scrambling ability is an expected part of the offensive scheme, then your footwork fundamentals will get messed up when it comes time to set back, survey the field, and throw.

Another comment made by someone somewhere was regarding the deep touchdown pass to Price: last year, JP would have taken off, and yes, he would've picked up some decent yardage, but his impatience was costing him these big plays.

759533[/snapback]

I said it was coaching a while ago.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...68entry734968

I had the same reaction when I read this.

Most everything that I've read about JP this offseason has given me confidence.

(Same goes for Jauron.)

759513[/snapback]

I also wonder what exactly Wyche was doing regarding getting JP mentally ready last year. It seems to me that JP might have still had some maturity issues. The comments he's made this year about now being "coached hard" and how he responds better to it - I think Wyche was trying to be his buddy/father figure (grandfather figure?) - when JP really needed a firmer hand to get him to mature faster.

There was another quote from JP recently about how he's more serious watching film this year - when that was supposed to be his and Wyche's big thing - what exactly were they really doing?

I also wonder what exactly Wyche was doing regarding getting JP mentally ready last year.  It seems to me that JP might have still had some maturity issues.  The comments he's made this year about now being "coached hard" and how he responds better to it - I think Wyche was trying to be his buddy/father figure (grandfather figure?) - when JP really needed a firmer hand to get him to mature faster.

There was another quote from JP recently about how he's more serious watching film this year - when that was supposed to be his and Wyche's big thing - what exactly were they really doing?

759854[/snapback]

Uh oh. :w00t:

(i agree, though.)

I also wonder what exactly Wyche was doing regarding getting JP mentally ready last year.  It seems to me that JP might have still had some maturity issues.  The comments he's made this year about now being "coached hard" and how he responds better to it - I think Wyche was trying to be his buddy/father figure (grandfather figure?) - when JP really needed a firmer hand to get him to mature faster.

759854[/snapback]

I don't think anything JP says provides a great deal of insight. He seems to ramble a bit, perhaps saying what people want to hear because he is intent on pleasing the public. The guy wants to do well, and he wants to be liked/appreciated.

People want to hear that this staff is coaching well, they want to hear that the last coaching staff sucked, and they want to know why JP has looked better. Certain answers satisfy those wants more than the likely answer, which is maturity.