Steve Smith has something to say

LabattBlue

"A lot of people say, `Ah, in-grown toe-nail, you can live through it,' " Smith said after Thursday night's preseason victory against Pittsburgh. "Those people are sitting their fat (butt) at a desk. But I use my feet more often than most people. That's like someone with carpal tunnel being an administrative assistant and it's strenuous on that body part."

:lol:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...rs/15413247.htm

"A lot of people say, `Ah, in-grown toe-nail, you can live through it,' " Smith said after Thursday night's preseason victory against Pittsburgh. "Those people are sitting their fat (butt) at a desk. But I use my feet more often than most people. That's like someone with carpal tunnel being an administrative assistant and it's strenuous on that body part."

:doh:

758658[/snapback]

I'm impressed that off the cuff he used the words administrative-assistant, strenuous, and carpal tunnel. Not your run-of-the-mill terminology thrown around by NFL WR's.

He has an interesting point...but if those secretaries had that level of income and the ability to do nothing but re-hab their carpal tunnel 24/7 I think they'd get better pretty quick too.

758670[/snapback]

I don't think the coaching staff was missing Steve Smith in practice though...

take your time Mr. Smith

(I'm biased because Steve was very instrumental in me winning my FFL championship last year.....he was a sixth round steal for me.)

There is one kind of pain that I've had than getting your toe worked on by a podiatrist and thats kidney stones. By far the most painful thing on earth. Having your toenail cut off sucks pretty darn bad, though.

I've had an ingrown toenail removed and he is correct, you reach a point where the pain is unbearable. I've been injured many times in many ways but nothing compared to that pain.

758681[/snapback]

Sure, an ingrown toenail is the sharpest pain on earth. Got it.

Sure, an ingrown toenail is the sharpest pain on earth.  Got it.

758762[/snapback]

com-pre-hen-sion  // Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kom-pri-hen-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the act or process of comprehending.

2. the state of being comprehended.

3. perception or understanding: His comprehension of physics is amazing for a young student.

4. capacity of the mind to perceive and understand; power to grasp ideas; ability to know.

5. Logic. the connotation of a term.

ive had ingrown toenails on my big toes like 5+ times, sh-- kills. if u put a feather on it, feels like a million pounds.

im with you steve!!!!

758701[/snapback]

I had one once. I missed one week of softball league because of it. It hurts but you can play ... you just can't run hard, cut hard, or change direction. Just putting on the shoe is a challenge.

I remember Shane Conlan's fight with turf toe. It got so bad that he was having

the trainers shoot it up with novocaine before the game and at halftime.

I've been lucky not to have toe problems, but my mother had to have some of her toenails removed. It hurt.....a lot. She couldn't walk for almost a week after the operation.

I remember Shane Conlan's fight with turf toe.  It got so bad that he was having

I've been lucky not to have toe problems, but my mother had to have some of her toenails removed.  It hurt.....a lot.  She couldn't walk for almost a week after the operation.

758801[/snapback]

any conversation about toe nail removal always reminds me of Ray Nitschke.

as a result of the Ice Bowl, he guy suffered frostbite on his toes and had to have several nails removed.

Then he proceded to play the next game, black toes and all, against the Raiders (i think) in the Super Bowl.

Now that's a football player

I remember Shane Conlan's fight with turf toe.  It got so bad that he was having

I've been lucky not to have toe problems, but my mother had to have some of her toenails removed.  It hurt.....a lot.  She couldn't walk for almost a week after the operation.

758801[/snapback]

I think Conlan had it much worse, it was a torn arch muscle I believe.

Anyway I've never had an ingrown toenail so I can't comment on how much pain there is but us fat asses use our feet just as much as he does. They only deliver pizzas as far as the door someone has to get up to get it and that potato chip bowl doesn't refill itself not to mention that the refriegerator where all the beer is kept is in a seperate room from the couch and television.

Anyway I've never had an ingrown toenail so I can't comment on how much pain there is but us fat asses use our feet just as much as he does.  They only deliver pizzas as far as the door someone has to get up to get it and that potato chip bowl doesn't refill itself not to mention that the refriegerator where all the beer is kept is in a seperate room from the couch and television.

758870[/snapback]

:doh::blush::D Good one!

As the board's resident Podiatrist...this procedure takes less than 20 minutes. The procedure is less painful than the actual ingrown nail= onychocryptosis! He'd be right to run in 2 days post. 7 days and he'd have forgotten. Turf toe, that's something different. Didn't Kent Hull struggle in later years with a chronic turf toe-having to cut the toe out of his boots? More often it requires surgery :doh:

Ok, why do I get a stinging sensation in my right big toe sometimes with no visible explanation?

759187[/snapback]

If the skin feels hot to the touch and the pain feels like someone left a match burning on your toe (that you can't blow out), it could be gout. Just pray you don't get a bad attack. That WILL make you want to cut your toe off.

I've had an ingrown toenail removed and he is correct, you reach a point where the pain is unbearable. I've been injured many times in many ways but nothing compared to that pain.

758681[/snapback]

Did he say the pain was unbearable? I don't think he did.

No offence(cue the insult) to all you guys saying how an ingrown toenail is the worst pain but.....

give me a friggin break. Yes, I'm sure it's painful. Yes it is probably really painful(esp. if infected) but some perspective here would be good.

SS is a highly tuned athlete at the top of his game. When he gets an ingrown toenail in preseason he is well advised to rest it & let it fully heal, ready for the season opener. He isn't saying the pain is so bad he just can't continue.

What's up with the rest of you schmucks?

If you want a reminder of what really intense pain can be....

Get a jalapeno pepper & squirt it directly into your eye. You will not be able to move a muscle until the pain subsides. Then tell me that an ingrown toenail is the worst.

Honestly.

Worse than an arm being torn out of it's socket, ripping every muscle & tendon?

Worse than a knee being mashed?

Worse than an angry lesbian crushing your scrotum in her hairy hand?

IMO we get so used to the lack of pain that when we experience some it invariably is the worst.

Did he say the pain was unbearable?  I don't think he did.

No offence(cue the insult) to all you guys saying how an ingrown toenail is the worst pain but.....

give me a friggin break.  Yes, I'm sure it's painful.  Yes it is probably really painful(esp. if infected) but some perspective here would be good.

SS is a highly tuned athlete at the top of his game.  When he gets an ingrown toenail in preseason he is well advised to rest it & let it fully heal, ready for the season opener.  He isn't saying the pain is so bad he just can't continue.

What's up with the rest of you schmucks?

If you want a reminder of what really intense pain can be....

Get a jalapeno pepper & squirt it directly into your eye.  You will not be able to move a muscle until the pain subsides.  Then tell me that an ingrown toenail is the worst.

Honestly. 

Worse than an arm being torn out of it's socket, ripping every muscle & tendon?

Worse than a knee being mashed?

Worse than an angry lesbian crushing your scrotum in her hairy hand?

IMO we get so used to the lack of pain that when we experience some it invariably is the worst.

759255[/snapback]

Is this reading comprehension for tards day? Jesus, some of you people are !@#$ing idiots when it comes to that skill.

I said it was the worst pain I HAVE ever had. If you would like it qualified further I found it worse then a broken finger, concussion, 2nd degree burns, a torn achillies and numerous pulled hamstrings and ankle sprains. 5 out of 6 which happen to football players on a regular basis.

I have no doubt he would have played during the season, but he would have been feeling it.

:)

758658[/snapback]

having had surgery for an ingrown toenail as a teenager, i can say with absolute certainty that smith is correct.

Is this reading comprehension for tards day? Jesus, some of you people are !@#$ing idiots when it comes to that skill.

I said it was the worst pain I HAVE ever had. If you would like it qualified further I found it worse then a broken finger, concussion, 2nd degree burns, a torn achillies and numerous pulled hamstrings and ankle sprains. 5 out of 6 which happen to football players on a regular basis.

I have no doubt he would have played during the season, but he would have been feeling it.

759415[/snapback]

:);):lol:

you said.....& I quote again

......and he is correct, you reach a point where the pain is unbearable.....

758681[/snapback]

Again I say(& I only say this because my comprehension skills have been impugned)....

"Did he say the pain was unbearable? I don't think he did."

What you said implied that SS thinks the pain(of an ingrown toenail) becomes unbearable.

My insult(?) was to say that you are a bit wussy if you think that the pain from an ingrown toenail is unbearable(an over exaggeration I think) & also I was defending SS from being lumped in with that thought as well.

Please, take a deep breath.....count to ten....re-read your first post.....& then read some of the others that followed.....then read mine.

Honestly, there is no need to get all snooty & SHOUT really loudly over an ingrown nail.

An apology would certainly not go astray.

As the board's resident Podiatrist...this procedure takes less than 20 minutes. The procedure is less painful than the actual ingrown nail= onychocryptosis! He'd be right to run in 2 days post. 7 days and he'd have forgotten. Turf toe, that's something different. Didn't Kent Hull struggle in later years with a chronic turf toe-having to cut the toe out of his boots? More often it requires surgery  :)

759130[/snapback]

One would think that the erudite Mr. Smith would have brought his condition to the attention of team trainers before it got infected and to the point where he "couldn't walk anymore". Oh well, one man's pain is another man's discomfort. That said, I don't have particular sympathy for Mr. Smith as it's a well-known fact that ingrown toe nails are caused by excessively repeating the PeeWee Herman Tequila dance.

;)  :lol:  :(

you said.....& I quote again

Again I say(& I only say this because my comprehension skills have been impugned)....

"Did he say the pain was unbearable?  I don't think he did."

What you said implied that SS thinks the pain(of an ingrown toenail) becomes unbearable. 

My insult(?) was to say that you are a bit wussy if you think that the pain from an ingrown toenail is unbearable(an over exaggeration I think) & also I was defending SS from being lumped in with that thought as well.

Please, take a deep breath.....count to ten....re-read your first post.....& then read some of the others that followed.....then read mine.

Honestly, there is no need to get all snooty & SHOUT really loudly over an ingrown nail.

An apology would certainly not go astray.

759434[/snapback]

Well my friend, apparently deduction is lost on you as well. A couple of Steve Smiths quotes.

I couldn't walk anymore'

"It was pressure," Smith said. "It hurt. I mean, in your hands and your toes, either your nerves begin or end and it's the furthest from your heart. It was hurting. I'd been going a couple of days and I couldn't walk anymore. It started to get worse and it was infected."

There is nothing about an ingrown toenail that physically prevents a person from walking besides the pain associated with it. An ingrown toenail does not render a limb unusable, the pain associated with it does.

When Steve Smith states he, and I quote, "couldn't walk anymore," the layperson could generally conclude that pain has reached a point where the individual can no longer tolerate it. Unbearable is a perfectly good synonym to describe this.

But alas, I find no more use beyond this in teaching basic elementary skills to individuals that aren't capable of erudition. Good day. :)

Too bad his team's training staff doesn't have access to novocaine. A Doctor would, and he could also surgically repair the terrible damage to the toe, nail and nail bed if necessary.

Enough. This guy didn't want to practice nor to play in the preseason. I haven't seen such malingering since Bruce Smith's days at DE.

Well my friend, apparently deduction is lost on you as well. A couple of Steve Smiths quotes.

There is nothing about an ingrown toenail that physically prevents a person from walking besides the pain associated with it. An ingrown toenail does not render a limb unusable, the pain associated with it does.

When Steve Smith states he, and I quote, "couldn't walk anymore," the layperson could generally conclude that pain has reached a point where the individual can no longer tolerate it. Unbearable is a perfectly good synonym to describe this.

But alas, I find no more use beyond this in teaching basic elementary skills to individuals that aren't capable of erudition. Good day.  :w00t:

759646[/snapback]

We do a number of these procedures a week. Most patients have a subjective description of the pain as "unbearable". It keeps them up at night, it reduces their day activities and it becomes depressing. Every time something knocks the foot it hurts. If you have a sore toe, it becomes a target as well for people to accidentally step on. Pain is very subjective and an experience. That said, you'd think a small procedure would have been performed to eliminate the source of dicomfort, rarely (?) do they get better without intervention and have him back running routes.

But alas, I find no more use beyond this in teaching basic elementary skills to individuals that aren't capable of erudition. Good day.  :w00t:

759646[/snapback]

You are unreal!

You post that you & SS think the pain is unbearable.

I respond that....

a) I think SS was exaggerating & would have played

b) You are a wuss for thinking it is unbearable.

You respond....by shouting loudly & being abusive saying....

It was the worst pain you have ever had...as if to say SS did not say it is unbearable.....or that I was the other guy(krazykat) who responded to you...post #9

I respond basically with huh? Where did that come from?

And you finish with what you should have said in the first place which is SS did imply that the pain was unbearable.....which makes your first response to me not only still offensive but still wrong.

You even admitted(first response) that you figured(I was correct) that if it was the regular season, he would have played....therefore it was bearable...therefore he was exaggerating.

Did you get me mixed up with post #9?

I think you must have. I see no other reason(apart from the concept of you being a complete prat) for your initial response.

I still await an apology.