Time Warner Fights Back

ACor58

What a joke. Do they actually think that people will sign this or that the NFL Network will even give a crap.

They claim that they are trying to negotiate the best deal for their customers. what a crock.

http://www.nflgetreal.com/

They also claim that "You will see ALL of your home team’s games on Time Warner Cable."

Apparrently they are bypassing the league wide blackout rules.

What a joke. Do they actually think that people will sign this or that the NFL Network will even give a crap.

They claim that they are trying to negotiate the best deal for their customers. what a crock.

http://www.nflgetreal.com/

They also claim that "You will see ALL of your home team’s games on Time Warner Cable."

Apparrently they are bypassing the league wide blackout rules.

754189[/snapback]

Yeah, that statement is a bit misleading. But assuming your home team sells out all their games, you will indeed see all their games. What they're trying to say, is that if your home team happens to play a Thursday night game on the NFL Network (which the Bills will not), you will see the game locally even if you don't have the NFL Network. It's just like when the Bills games are on ESPN, they are also broadcast them locally on Ch. 7 as well. Now if you're a fan of a team that isn't in your local market, then you're screwed.

754189[/snapback]

Technically, they are right. They will carry each Bills game this year. Just that you may have to move from town to town to see them on TW Cable.

This could also be an interesting promotion for them. The markets in question are, Buffalo, Dallas & Cleveland. Of those, only Buffalo isn't a sure sellout. But judging from TW's actions last week, they just guaranteed that RWS will sell out every game by Thursday 1PM.

Technically, all anyone needs to see a Bills game locally is a TV and rabbit ears- home games pending a sellout, of course. Bills games are on CBS and Fox. Those are still free as far as I know. Bills aren't even on ESPN & NFL Network this season and if they were, the game would be carried on WKBW or WGRZ. Those are free as well. Time Warner is completely full of crap. Bills fans are generally NFL fans as well. NFL Network has a highlights show on Sunday Nights after the 8pm game to replace the dearly departed NFL Primetime on ESPN in addition to the regular season games starting in November. Time Warner can spin their BS any way they want. People should be PO'd at TW if they can't get the NFL Network.

Technically, all anyone needs to see a Bills game locally is a TV and rabbit ears- home games pending a sellout, of course. Bills games are on CBS and Fox. Those are still free as far as I know. Bills aren't even on ESPN & NFL Network this season and if they were, the game would be carried on WKBW or WGRZ. Those are free as well. Time Warner is completely full of crap. Bills fans are generally NFL fans as well. NFL Network has a highlights show on Sunday Nights after the 8pm game to replace the dearly departed NFL Primetime on ESPN  in addition to the regular season games starting in November. Time Warner can spin their BS any way they want. People should be PO'd at TW if they can't get the NFL Network.

754317[/snapback]

Fans could get the NFL Network on Time Warner if the NFL would agree to let Time Warner price the NFL Network to the small segment of cable subscribers that want it, rather than requiring Time Warner to charge the 90% of cable subscribers who don't want the NFL Network for getting the NFL Network. Basically, this is a ploy by the NFL to try and charge people for not watching the NFL games.

A pretty sick deal if you ask me.

JDG

Fans could get the NFL Network on Time Warner if the NFL would agree to let Time Warner price the NFL Network to the small segment of cable subscribers that want it, rather than requiring Time Warner to charge the 90% of cable subscribers who don't want the NFL Network for getting the NFL Network.  Basically, this is a ploy by the NFL to try and charge people for not watching the NFL games.   

JDG

754328[/snapback]

This is how cable television works. Do you think that I want to pay for any of those freaking Spanish Speaking television stations. If I wanted to hear people speak Spanish I would go to Florida. They bundle it with everything else so we get stuck paying for it.

TW cannot use that argument.

This is how cable television works. Do you think that I want to pay for any of those freaking Spanish Speaking television stations. If I wanted to hear people speak Spanish I would go to Florida. They bundle it with everything else so we get stuck paying for it.

TW cannot use that argument.

754343[/snapback]

But the NFL Network can?

Fans could get the NFL Network on Time Warner if the NFL would agree to let Time Warner price the NFL Network to the small segment of cable subscribers that want it, rather than requiring Time Warner to charge the 90% of cable subscribers who don't want the NFL Network for getting the NFL Network.   Basically, this is a ploy by the NFL to try and charge people for not watching the NFL games.    

JDG

754328[/snapback]

I am sorry, but there is NO WAY 90% of people DON'T WANT NFL NETWORK! That is like saying that 90% of people in this country don't watch football! 200 MILLION people watched football games last year. 200 MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the most popular sport in the country, BAR NONE. To say the majority of people have no interest in the NFL or don't want the NFL Network is stupid.

Time Warner made over 40 BILLION dollars last year. And now they want to squeeze their customers for more by forcing them to buy a sports package for 1 channel that they KNOW everyone wants? Just stupid.

And, on top of that, over 200 other cable companies carry NFL Network on their base package. That isn't even including the sattelite providers. What makes Time Warner so special?

And finally.....us past Adelphia subscribers have already had our fees increased because of the Empire Sports Network and now the NFL Network that has replaced it. Are we going to get our money back every month once they pull the NFL Network? I mean, we aren't going to get these stations anymore so we should get our monthly subscription payments for those channels back if they don't show them, right? I'm guessing we won't see a penny.....

Time Warner can try to spin this any way they want to. But us fans in Buffalo, and every other Time Warner City are not just fans of our local teams, but fans of the GAME.....FOOTBALL FANS! And come the playoff push, we are going to want to watch these games that may affect our standings and potential playoff births.

Time Warner is WRONG and they are all looking like fools in this situation. I encourage everyone that has the opportunity to switch to Dish or DirecTV. Show Time Warner that football fans are serious about their game. Also, please do your part and call Time Warner and demand them to keep the NFL Network. It is the RIGHT thing to do! Please call 1-866-NFL-NETWORK today and demand Time Warner keep the NFL Network!

I am sorry, but there is NO WAY 90% of people DON'T WANT NFL NETWORK!  That is like saying that 90% of people in this country don't watch football!  200 MILLION people watched football games last year.  200 MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is the most popular sport in the country, BAR NONE.  To say the majority of people have no interest in the NFL or don't want the NFL Network is stupid. 

Time Warner made over 40 BILLION dollars last year.  And now they want to squeeze their customers for more by forcing them to buy a sports package for 1 channel that they KNOW everyone wants?  Just stupid.

And, on top of that, over 200 other cable companies carry NFL Network on their base package.  That isn't even including the sattelite providers.  What makes Time Warner so special? 

And finally.....us past Adelphia subscribers have already had our fees increased because of the Empire Sports Network and now the NFL Network that has replaced it.  Are we going to get our money back every month once they pull the NFL Network?  I mean, we aren't going to get these stations anymore so we should get our monthly subscription payments for those channels back if they don't show them, right?  I'm guessing we won't see a penny.....

Time Warner can try to spin this any way they want to.  But us fans in Buffalo, and every other Time Warner City are not just fans of our local teams, but fans of the GAME.....FOOTBALL FANS!  And come the playoff push, we are going to want to watch these games that may affect our standings and potential playoff births.

Time Warner is WRONG and they are all looking like fools in this situation.  I encourage everyone that has the opportunity to switch to Dish or DirecTV.  Show Time Warner that football fans are serious about their game.  Also, please do your part and call Time Warner and demand them to keep the NFL Network.  It is the RIGHT thing to do!  Please call 1-866-NFL-NETWORK today and demand Time Warner keep the NFL Network!

754368[/snapback]

Post of the day. And truthful.

I am sorry, but there is NO WAY 90% of people DON'T WANT NFL NETWORK!  That is like saying that 90% of people in this country don't watch football!  200 MILLION people watched football games last year.  200 MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is the most popular sport in the country, BAR NONE.  To say the majority of people have no interest in the NFL or don't want the NFL Network is stupid. 

Time Warner made over 40 BILLION dollars last year.  And now they want to squeeze their customers for more by forcing them to buy a sports package for 1 channel that they KNOW everyone wants?  Just stupid.

And, on top of that, over 200 other cable companies carry NFL Network on their base package.  That isn't even including the sattelite providers.  What makes Time Warner so special? 

And finally.....us past Adelphia subscribers have already had our fees increased because of the Empire Sports Network and now the NFL Network that has replaced it.  Are we going to get our money back every month once they pull the NFL Network?  I mean, we aren't going to get these stations anymore so we should get our monthly subscription payments for those channels back if they don't show them, right?  I'm guessing we won't see a penny.....

Time Warner can try to spin this any way they want to.  But us fans in Buffalo, and every other Time Warner City are not just fans of our local teams, but fans of the GAME.....FOOTBALL FANS!  And come the playoff push, we are going to want to watch these games that may affect our standings and potential playoff births.

Time Warner is WRONG and they are all looking like fools in this situation.  I encourage everyone that has the opportunity to switch to Dish or DirecTV.  Show Time Warner that football fans are serious about their game.  Also, please do your part and call Time Warner and demand them to keep the NFL Network.  It is the RIGHT thing to do!  Please call 1-866-NFL-NETWORK today and demand Time Warner keep the NFL Network!

754368[/snapback]

Its funny, but I saw that you mentioned Time Warner's profits, but not the NFL's profits. Well, that's because Time Warner is a public company, and the NFL keeps its profits close to the vest.

O.k. 200 million people watched football games last season, but how many of them watched the Super Bowl and nothing else? How many watched only games with their favorite team in it?

The truth of the matter is that die-hard football fans, whom the NFL network appeals to, are only a small percentage of viewership. What the NFL wants to do is to charge all cable subscribers for its games. Time Warner is saying that it just wants to charge the die-hard fans who really want it. The fact that many other cable systems have already capitulated on this point, mostly because it will only be a small increase in the monthly rate for the average viewer - doesn't change the fact that this is a raw deal for cable subscribers and that the best solution is to charge the people who want the NFL network for the NFL network, and to not charge the people who have other interests besides obsessing about sport.

JDG

Its funny, but I saw that you mentioned Time Warner's profits, but not the NFL's profits.  Well, that's because Time Warner is a public company, and the NFL keeps its profits close to the vest.   

O.k. 200 million people watched football games last season, but how many of them watched the Super Bowl and nothing else?    How many watched only games with their favorite team in it?   

The truth of the matter is that die-hard football fans, whom the NFL network appeals to, are only a small percentage of viewership.  What the NFL wants to do is to charge all cable subscribers for its games.  Time Warner is saying that it just wants to charge the die-hard fans who really want it.    The fact that many other cable systems have already capitulated on this point, mostly because it will only be a small increase in the monthly rate for the average viewer - doesn't change the fact that this is a raw deal for cable subscribers and that the best solution is to charge the people who want the NFL network for the NFL network, and to not charge the people who have other interests besides obsessing about sport.

JDG

754411[/snapback]

Well considering the NFL PACKAGE alone (direcTV) has nearly 14 million suscribers and each family probably has 3-4 people watching it ... I would say at least 42 million - 56 million people watch MORE than just their home teams game ... and NOT just the SB.

Its funny, but I saw that you mentioned Time Warner's profits, but not the NFL's profits.  Well, that's because Time Warner is a public company, and the NFL keeps its profits close to the vest.   

O.k. 200 million people watched football games last season, but how many of them watched the Super Bowl and nothing else?    How many watched only games with their favorite team in it?   

The truth of the matter is that die-hard football fans, whom the NFL network appeals to, are only a small percentage of viewership.  What the NFL wants to do is to charge all cable subscribers for its games.  Time Warner is saying that it just wants to charge the die-hard fans who really want it.    The fact that many other cable systems have already capitulated on this point, mostly because it will only be a small increase in the monthly rate for the average viewer - doesn't change the fact that this is a raw deal for cable subscribers and that the best solution is to charge the people who want the NFL network for the NFL network, and to not charge the people who have other interests besides obsessing about sport.

JDG

754411[/snapback]

I'd speculate that folks who feel that all should have to have NFL Network on a cable also complain about having to pay for other channels they don't personally care to watch.

754368[/snapback]

Time Warner needs to make a business decision. 1) Lose subscribers because they do not have NFL Network or 2) Lose subscribers because their rates went up to cover the increased expenses from the NFL Network. Time Warner is a business. They are in business to make money. Apparently TW thinks option 3 is the best. Keep all non-nfl consumers happy by keeping their rates (relatively) low, and offer a special package for those who opt to pay a little more to recieve. Frankly, there are plenty of options in this market these days, so let your wallet do the talking.

And if you think DirecTV is any better you are kidding yourself. Sure, they offer NFL Network on standard packages. You still have to pay extra for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, HDTV, Sports packages, etc. etc. Same concept.

And if you think DirecTV is any better you are kidding yourself.  Sure, they offer NFL Network on standard packages.  You still have to pay extra for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, HDTV, Sports packages, etc. etc.  Same concept.

754442[/snapback]

The difference is that DirecTV actually listens to you when you call with an issue/complaint.

Oh, and although rates have been going up the past few years with DirecTV, they actually went *DOWN* for two out of three years at one point.

The whole "I don't watch it so I don't want to pay for it" argument is crap anyway. I don't watch ESPN2 at all, so I shouldn't have to pay for it (nevermind the fact that ESPN charges something like $2/subscriber and nobody complains about that). I don't watch Lifetime or O so I shouldn't have to pay for it. If you only paid for the channels you watched, you'd be paying a LOT more money.

I don't have kids, so I shouldn't have to pay school taxes. :devil:

CW

The difference is that DirecTV actually listens to you when you call with an issue/complaint.

Oh, and although rates have been going up the past few years with DirecTV, they actually went *DOWN* for two out of three years at one point.

The whole "I don't watch it so I don't want to pay for it" argument is crap anyway.  I don't watch ESPN2 at all, so I shouldn't have to pay for it (nevermind the fact that ESPN charges something like $2/subscriber and nobody complains about that).  I don't watch Lifetime or O so I shouldn't have to pay for it.  If you only paid for the channels you watched, you'd be paying a LOT more money.

I don't have kids, so I shouldn't have to pay school taxes.  :devil:

CW

754456[/snapback]

ESPN is actually up to $3 a month/per suscriber ... NFL Network is charging .90 cents per month.

Its funny, but I saw that you mentioned Time Warner's profits, but not the NFL's profits.   Well, that's because Time Warner is a public company, and the NFL keeps its profits close to the vest.   

The truth of the matter is that die-hard football fans, whom the NFL network appeals to, are only a small percentage of viewership.   What the NFL wants to do is to charge all cable subscribers for its games.   Time Warner is saying that it just wants to charge the die-hard fans who really want it.    The fact that many other cable systems have already capitulated on this point, mostly because it will only be a small increase in the monthly rate for the average viewer - doesn't change the fact that this is a raw deal for cable subscribers and that the best solution is to charge the people who want the NFL network for the NFL network, and to not charge the people who have other interests besides obsessing about sport.

JDG

754411[/snapback]

The problem is that you are not getting the point........regardless of who you feel is right or wrong, there are a lot more people that watch football through the course of the year than don't. You are saying that 90% of people in this country could care less about football. With all due respect, that is a DUMB comment. Professional football is the most popular sport in the country....PERIOD. More people watch football on a weekly basis than don't. Look at the ratings! There is a reason that everyhting revolves around the NFL......Because they are THE SPORT in this country and they have the most viewership.

Time Warner has even said themselves that they want to make the NFL Network THE CORNERSTONE of their Sports Package. Why? Because they know that TONS OF PEOPLE WANT THE NETWORK and they want to capitalize on this and force people to pay MORE IN MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTIONS to get the network MOST PEOPLE WANT TO HAVE! I'm not saying that I can't see where they are coming from. Of course they would love to have this happen. They would make a TON of money OFF THEIR SUBSCRIBERS!!!!

It all boils down to cable companies listening to their subscribers. The fact is people want this network and they should give it to them. DirecTV did. Dish Network did. Over 200 other cable companies did. They are not listening to their consumers and are not in touch with what people want (well, they are, but they want to screw over their customers and make them pay more for something that should be free to their subscribers in a basic package).

And the final point here is that you keep focusing on saying that only certain people want to watch this network and they should have to pay for it. You are saying that the only people that want the network are the ones obsessing over the sport. Well, as other people have mentioned, what about all the other cable channels that most people don't watch.......who cares about having 4-5 news networks, 3 or 4 music stations, cooking networks, 4000 shopping channels, etc. I guess there must be a ton of people obsessing over those because I am paying 80% of my cable bill for channels I, and a lot of other people, don't want. So, before you go saying that Time Warner wants to help its base customers, remember that most of their customers couldn't care less about most of the networks they do provide.

and maybe that is the biggest point of all.......

YOU DON'T HEAR PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT ANY OTHER NETWORK BECAUSE THEY JUST DON'T CARE!!!!! TIME WARNER IS IN THE NEWS NOW BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO CARRY THE NFL NETWORK! SO, OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE CARE ENOUGH ABOUT THE NFL NETWORK TO MAKE NATIONAL NEWS. I DON'T SEE ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY OTHER NETWORK BECAUSE PEOPLE SIMPLY DO NOT CARE.

DO YOU THINK PEOPLE WOULD BE CAUSING A NATIONAL FUSS IF THIS WAS OVER THE HOME AND GARDEN NETWORK? I don't think so.

PEOPLE WANT THE NFL NETWORK! The NFL knows it and so does Time Warner. The only people that Time Warner is going to hurt over this are the customers.

Time Warner has even said themselves that they want to make the NFL Network THE CORNERSTONE of their Sports Package.  Why?  Because they know that TONS OF PEOPLE WANT THE NETWORK and they want to capitalize on this and force people to pay MORE IN MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTIONS to get the network MOST PEOPLE WANT TO HAVE!  I'm not saying that I can't see where they are coming from.  Of course they would love to have this happen.  They would make a TON of money OFF THEIR SUBSCRIBERS!!!!

754491[/snapback]

Ummmm.....the Sports Tier is only $1.95/mo. That's less than what ESPN costs....and trust me......alot of the older customers complain about too much sports programming.....and say they shouldn't have to be paying for it.

P.S. I'm wearing my GO BILLS/TIMEWARNER CABLE-The Power of You bracelet I got at the game Saturday night. Are you? :devil:

754368[/snapback]

Everything you just said and apply it to Charter Cable also. Going through the same bull sh-- here in St. Louis. Last year they had it for an extra $4/month with the sports tier. NFL got wise to it and we don't get it at all now. These are the same guys that still don't carry ABC in high def because of an issue they have with the local affiliate. Had to watch MNF and Super Bowl in analog last year.

The problem is that you are not getting the point........regardless of who you feel is right or wrong, there are a lot more people that watch football through the course of the year than don't.  You are saying that 90% of people in this country could care less about football.  With all due respect, that is a DUMB comment. 

I never said that. I said that 90% of the country isn't really all that interested in watching the NFL Network.

And the final point here is that you keep focusing on saying that only certain people want to watch this network and they should have to pay for it.  You are saying that the only people that want the network are the ones obsessing over the sport.  Well, as other people have mentioned, what about all the other cable channels that most people don't watch.......

754491[/snapback]

Well, for one, we don't know what fees those other networks are charging. It would also be interesting to compare ratings for those other networks that "noone watches" vs. NFL Network ratings.

The simple truth of the matter is that you act like Time Warner is refusing to offer the NFL Network to its customers. Not true. Time Warner is offering to let consumers who want the NFL Network pay for it. It is the greedy NFL Network, owned by a monopolistic cabal of billionaires that is refusing to let Time Warner offer the NFL Network to those people who want it. The NFL Network wants Time Warner to offer the Network to everyone, or not at all. And right now the NFL Network is choosing "not at all."

JDG

The whole "I don't watch it so I don't want to pay for it" argument is crap anyway.  I don't watch ESPN2 at all, so I shouldn't have to pay for it (nevermind the fact that ESPN charges something like $2/subscriber and nobody complains about that).  I don't watch Lifetime or O so I shouldn't have to pay for it.  If you only paid for the channels you watched, you'd be paying a LOT more money.

I don't have kids, so I shouldn't have to pay school taxes.  <_<

CW

754456[/snapback]

Let's not forget the very popular shop at home channels. I wonder how many hrs. a month members of this board watch them :P

Let's not forget the very popular shop at home channels. I wonder how many hrs. a month members of this board watch them :P

754924[/snapback]

I'll do better than that, I'll tell you how much time I've spent on them since I first got my own apartment/cable back in '97.......

About 5 minutes.

754924[/snapback]

I didn't include those because the shopping channels actually pay the providers to be broadcast... So those channels make your bill go down... <_<

CW

It is the greedy NFL Network, owned by a monopolistic cabal of billionaires

When I saw "monopolistic cabal," I thought you were talking about the cable company.... :P

The solution is simple - switch to DirecTV or Dish. Have your cake and eat it too. <_< And as everyone knows, if you have any DirecTV questions, let me know. :)

I don't have kids, so I shouldn't have to pay school taxes.  :doh:

CW

754456[/snapback]

Exactly.Directtv fixed the problem with the Sabres games promptly last season,and im thankfull i have Directtv.I dumped Adelphia when it was reaveled the Rigas were taking the money.I lost in my 401k because of those scumbags Apperantly TW is gonna be worse than Adelphia was.Fix the problem with the NFL network by getting the dish:)No worries with dtv

Well, i am !@#$ed either way with comcast. I'd hafta upgrade to the digital cable package (from $40 basic to $70) to get NFL network. Comcast doesnt offer it with regular cable, only digital. I hate comcast.

Well, i am !@#$ed either way with comcast. I'd hafta upgrade to the digital cable package (from $40 basic to $70) to get NFL network. Comcast doesnt offer it with regular cable, only digital. I hate comcast.

755158[/snapback]

Try Directtv.

I never said that.  I said that 90% of the country isn't really all that interested in watching the NFL Network.

Well, for one, we don't know what fees those other networks are charging.  It would also be interesting to compare ratings for those other networks that "noone watches" vs. NFL Network ratings.

The simple truth of the matter is that you act like Time Warner is refusing to offer the NFL Network to its customers.  Not true.  Time Warner is offering to let consumers who want the NFL Network pay for it.    It is the greedy NFL Network, owned by a monopolistic cabal of billionaires that is refusing to let Time Warner offer the NFL Network to those people who want it.    The NFL Network wants Time Warner to offer the Network to everyone, or not at all.    And right now the NFL Network is choosing "not at all." 

JDG

754858[/snapback]

Again, you are not making sense at all! You keep using the argument that only certain people want to watch NFL Network! Well, certain people only want to watch MTV, HGTV, A&E, FOX News, CNN, etc. Why do they get to be on basic cable for everyone to see and the NFL Network can't? It is the EXACT same thing. I am willing to bet the NFL network would have just as good, if not BETTER, ratings than many of the cable networks currently available if they were in the same number of households.

Again, there is a reason that the NFL Network battle is making NATIONAL headlines. IT IS BECAUSE THERE ARE A TON OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO HAVE IT ON THEIR BASIC CABLE PACKAGE.

Again, do you really think there would be this big of an outrage if this were over A&E or Lifetime? No, because people don't care about those networks, but yet, we still have to pay for them. The NFL is the biggest sport in the country and PEOPLE CARE. That is why this is making national news.

So, your argument that most people don't want to watch the NFL Network doesn't fly. There are several other networks that people don't want either and yet we still have to pay for them. Why not offer them on a tier as well so the 3 people that want to watch them can pay for it and the rest of us don't have to? So, this doesn't boil down tot he NFL Network.

It boils down to what cable companies determine people want to watch. And all that I am saying is that NFL Network should not have to deal with any restrictions that other networks don't have. The same rules should apply to every network. And right now, Time Warner is singling out NFL Network and not allowing them the same rights that all these other networks already have......the right to be on basic cable.

But until some cable company comes up with A la Carte, the rules will not change. So, until that time, all networks, including the NFL Network, should have the right to be on basic cable. You can't say have certain rules for A&E and Lifetime and then different rules for NFL Network.

TIME WARNER IS DEAD WRONG AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT!

Again, you are not making sense at all!  You keep using the argument that only certain people want to watch NFL Network!  Well, certain people only want to watch MTV, HGTV, A&E, FOX News, CNN, etc.  Why do they get to be on basic cable for everyone to see and the NFL Network can't?  It is the EXACT same thing.  I am willing to bet the NFL network would have just as good, if not BETTER, ratings than many of the cable networks currently available if they were in the same number of households. 

Again, there is a reason that the NFL Network battle is making NATIONAL headlines.  IT IS BECAUSE THERE ARE A TON OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO HAVE IT ON THEIR BASIC CABLE PACKAGE.

Again, do you really think there would be this big of an outrage if this were over A&E or Lifetime?  No, because people don't care about those networks, but yet, we still have to pay for them.  The NFL is the biggest sport in the country and PEOPLE CARE.  That is why this is making national news. 

So, your argument that most people don't want to watch the NFL Network doesn't fly.  There are several other networks that people don't want either and yet we still have to pay for them.  Why not offer them on a tier as well so the 3 people that want to watch them can pay for it and the rest of us don't have to?  So, this doesn't boil down tot he NFL Network.

It boils down to what cable companies determine people want to watch.  And all that I am saying is that NFL Network should not have to deal with any restrictions that other networks don't have.  The same rules should apply to every network.  And right now, Time Warner is singling out NFL Network and not allowing them the same rights that all these other networks already have......the right to be on basic cable.

But until some cable company comes up with A la Carte, the rules will not change.  So, until that time, all networks, including the NFL Network, should have the right to be on basic cable.  You can't say have certain rules for A&E and Lifetime and then different rules for NFL Network.

TIME WARNER IS DEAD WRONG AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT!

755405[/snapback]

On every cable system in the country, the cable company decides what networks are on the basic package, and what networks are on additional tiers. You act like Time Warner is descriminating against it, when in fact almost every cable system in the country regularly decides which networks will be on basic cable, and which will be in higher tier packages. Indeed, where does the NFL get off in refusing to let Time Warner carry the Network in a sports tier???? It is the NFL that wants the special treatment. The NFL Network is getting the same treatment from TimeWarner as Fox Sports Net - same as many boutique sports channels.

You really don't know what you are talking about. Lifetime is the #5 cable network. A&E is the #10 cable network. I don't know where the NFL Network comes in, but it is not even in the Top 25. It is worth noting that Lifetime has more than 2.5 times the rating of the 25th ranked cable network, so we know it has at least that much on the NFL Network - and probably a lot more. There isn't outrage about Lifetime and A&E because both networks are on basic cable on just about every (if not evey single) system in the country because, well, people watch those networks - unlike the NFL Network.

The battle between the NFL Network and Time Warner isn't exactly making National Headlines. It is making headlines among NFL beat writers, because that is what they cover. It also is making headlines in cities with Time Warner cable since it directly affects those places. It certainly has not made much in the way of mainstream news. I watch ABC World News Tonight just about every day and can't recall seeing it mentioned yet (although there is a small chance I might have missed it, I think that is unlikely).

JDG

On every cable system in the country, the cable company decides what networks are on the basic package, and what networks are on additional tiers.  You act like Time Warner is descriminating against it, when in fact almost every cable system in the country regularly decides which networks will be on basic cable, and which will be in higher tier packages.  Indeed, where does the NFL get off in refusing to let Time Warner carry the Network in a sports tier????  It is the NFL that wants the special treatment.  The NFL Network is getting the same treatment from TimeWarner as Fox Sports Net - same as many boutique sports channels.

You really don't know what you are talking about.  Lifetime is the #5 cable network.  A&E is the #10 cable network.  I don't know where the NFL Network comes in, but it is not even in the Top 25.  It is worth noting that Lifetime has more than 2.5 times the rating of the 25th ranked cable network, so we know it has at least that much on the NFL Network - and probably a lot more.  There isn't outrage about Lifetime and A&E because both networks are on basic cable on just about every (if not evey single) system in the country because, well, people watch those networks - unlike the NFL Network.

The battle between the NFL Network and Time Warner isn't exactly making National Headlines.  It is making headlines among NFL beat writers, because that is what they cover.  It also is making headlines in cities with Time Warner cable since it directly affects those places.  It certainly has not made much in the way of mainstream news.  I watch ABC World News Tonight just about every day and can't recall seeing it mentioned yet (although there is a small chance I might have missed it, I think that is unlikely). 

JDG

755460[/snapback]

You are completely missing the point! You just don't get it! I'm not trying to compare NFL Network to Lifetime or A&E or any other network. All that I am saying is that why are many people paying for networks that couldn't care less about and not being allowed access to the channel they want?

And trying to compare NFL Network ratings to any of the networks you did is just DUMB and STUPID! Of course they are going to have higher rating because they are in a GAZILLION more homes than NFL Network is! It is impossible to compare!

And regardless of what you do think, it is a big story. Articles in every major newspaper in the country and several other media outlets make up national news. Is it as big as all the fighting going on over in the Middle East? NO! But, it has caught the attention of several national outlets.

Look, the NFL Network is not asking for a special ruling here. They simply want to be placed on a basic tier to not force people that want their network to pay for it like ANY OTHER STATION THAT IS CURRENTLY ON BASIC CABLE! They just want the same treatment as any other network on basic cable is getting. Nothing more, nothing less. DISH NETWORK, DIRECTV, and over 200 OTHE CABLE COMPANIES AGREE WITH THEM AND KNOW THAT BRINGING NFL NETWORK TO EVERY CUSTOMER ON A BASIC PACKAGE IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. Time Warner just is fighting a losing battle and they know it! And they will see it more and more as people start switching to sattelite. It has already started and it won't slow down anyime soon.

Cable companies, including Time Warner have had a MONOPOLY over the TV industry for years. They were the only game in town for so long and got away with whatever they wanted to..........WHY DO YOU THINK CABLE BILLS ARE THROUGH THE ROOF??? Because they could. Well, now there are actually companies around that LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS and give them what they want FOR LESS MONEY. And what is happening? Well, Time Warner is fighting a public battle against the nation's most popular sport and its fans. They are fighting with their own customers! Talk about great customer service! I don't care what the company's problem is with the NFL Network or the NFL, but you have to give the customers what they want. And it is pretty clear they want the NFL Network. So what, they make 42.1 BILLION this year and not 42.8 BILLION! (Actually, they still may make the same amount anyways after they stop subscribers from leaving!) YOU GIVE THE CUSTOMER'S WHAT THEY WANT. YOU DON'T HAVE TO RAISE RATES TO GIVE THEM THIS NETWORK! Is the NFL totally innocent here? NO! They are all money grubbing fools......Time Warner and the NFL! But while they have their chick fight over stupid things, the customer is losing out.

TIME WARNER: THE POWER OF YOU! (To do absoluely nothing about your programming)

DISH NETWORK, DIRECTV, and over 200 OTHE CABLE COMPANIES AGREE WITH THEM AND KNOW THAT BRINGING NFL NETWORK TO EVERY CUSTOMER ON A BASIC PACKAGE IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. 

755579[/snapback]

Except that the NFL Network is NOT part of basic cable on the other major cable companies' lineups.

Look, the NFL Network is not asking for a special ruling here.  They simply want to be placed on a basic tier to not force people that want their network to pay for it like ANY OTHER STATION THAT IS CURRENTLY ON BASIC CABLE!  They just want the same treatment as any other network on basic cable is getting.  Nothing more, nothing less.  DISH NETWORK, DIRECTV, and over 200 OTHE CABLE COMPANIES AGREE WITH THEM AND KNOW THAT BRINGING NFL NETWORK TO EVERY CUSTOMER ON A BASIC PACKAGE IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.  Time Warner just is fighting a losing battle and they know it!  And they will see it more and more as people start switching to sattelite.  It has already started and it won't slow down anyime soon.

755579[/snapback]

Sven - I think you're missing the point here. The NFL and its network wants to charge a giant premium to TWC and all the other cable companies to carry it. Some of these companies are balking at paying a hefty fee to a network that doesn't have that many viewers. Instead, and to offset costs, they are suggesting that the network be in a premium package. Since NFLN will carry 8 games this year, they know they need national coverage to get decent ratings. Why not compromise and say we'll include it free the first year, see what kind of ratings we get and then determine the fee structure. In football terms, it's like a UDFA demanding a large signing bonus when he hasn't proved it on the field. And of course, you can compare this to other channels. Personally, I just want PBS, National Geographic, Comedy Central and the sports stations but I'm guessing I'm in the minority so I have to pay for the other 600 craptastic channels. I doubt any of 'em are asking for numbers like the NFL is though.

“Cable subscribers should root for Time Warner and fear the NFL Network like a blitzing linebacker. If the NFL Network becomes as powerful as ESPN some day, you know who eventually will be thrown for a loss with constant rate increases to offset new programming costs? You, the subscriber.” — Alan Pergament. August 4, 2006. “Subscribers Have Much at Stake in NFL Spat.” Buffalo News

I don't want to lose the NFL Network either but there was so much conjecture here that I thought I'd look for some facts:

Cable and Satellite Television Network Tiering and a la Carte

Pretty wordy government gibberish but there are some interesting facts. "James Robbins, chief executive of Cox Cable, reportedly stated at a Goldman Sachs investors conference that ESPN accounted for 4% of Cox subscribers’ viewing, but 18% of Cox programming costs."

Cable's Pricey Ticket

"Sports networks are the most expensive programming on basic cable. The license fees for all the networks on an 80-channel basic-cable package cost an operator around $12 per subscriber last year, Morgan Stanley estimates. Nearly half of that stems from just a handful of programming networks: ESPN (around $3 monthly), at least one regional sports network (around $2), and smaller channels like ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPN Desportes (another 35¢ cents for the package)."

"By comparison, the license fee for other basic-cable networks can be just pennies per subscriber; some networks, such as MTV or TBS, commonly run 25¢-50¢. (Disney Channel, however, gets $1 per sub.)"

"New networks will only add to that. The NFL Network wants 75¢ per subscriber."

Except that the NFL Network is NOT part of basic cable on the other major cable companies' lineups.

755604[/snapback]

Yeah, that person didn't get the particulars exactly right. NFL Network is NOT part of basic cable, but it is also NOT part of a dedicated "Sports Tier" on any of those cable networks. That is where the battle lies....

Sven - I think you're missing the point here.  The NFL and its network wants to charge a giant premium to TWC and all the other cable companies to carry it.  Some of these companies are balking at paying a hefty fee to a network that doesn't have that many viewers.  Instead, and to offset costs, they are suggesting that the network be in a premium package.  Since NFLN will carry 8 games this year, they know they need national coverage to get decent ratings.  Why not compromise and say we'll include it free the first year, see what kind of ratings we get and then determine the fee structure.  In football terms, it's like a UDFA demanding a large signing bonus when he hasn't proved it on the field.  And of course, you can compare this to other channels.  Personally, I just want PBS, National Geographic, Comedy Central and the sports stations but I'm guessing I'm in the minority so I have to pay for the other 600 craptastic channels.  I doubt any of 'em are asking for numbers like the NFL is though.

“Cable subscribers should root for Time Warner and fear the NFL Network like a blitzing linebacker. If the NFL Network becomes as powerful as ESPN some day, you know who eventually will be thrown for a loss with constant rate increases to offset new programming costs? You, the subscriber.” — Alan Pergament. August 4, 2006. “Subscribers Have Much at Stake in NFL Spat.” Buffalo News

755624[/snapback]

I do like the idea that you have for a compromise. Here is the thing. We have all kind of lost site of what the point here is. The real reason we are having this discusion is because us football fans will be losing one of our favorite networks for very stupid reasons.

Regardless of who is right or wrong (Time Warner or the NFL), the real issue we are having with it is that we are losing a network that we all want at THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME OF YEAR......THE START OF FOOTBALL SEASON! If these 2 HUGE businesses would just find a way to settle, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. There is just a lot of frustration out there because these multi billion companies are fighting over, what would be a couple extra bucks to you and me.

Time Warner just looks like fools in this situation because they ARE THE ONLY MAJOR COMPANY not to carry the NFL Nework. There is pleanty of blame to go around. Time Warner is to blame, the NFL is to blame........whatever. The fact of the matter is, the only ones being hurt by this are the customers.

As for your compromise, while it does make sense to try it on a trial basis and then work it out based on the numbers, but the problem is, neither company, especially Time Warner, would let that happen. It would just lead to more fighting and petty bickering down the road.

I don't know what the solution is. The fact is, people who want the NFL Network, should not have to pay extra for it. However, maybe the NFL is expecting too much per subscriber. To me, the solution is easy. Just split the difference. The NFL wants $0.90 per subscriber and to be on basic cable. Time Warner wants NFL Network on a Sports Tier so they themselves can collect more money from their subscribers. Why don't they settle on $0.65-$0.70 per subscriber and on basic cable? That would make both companies money.....NFL through the subscriber fees, and Time Warner through additional customers that won't switch to Dish or DirecTV and new customers they can bring in because of the features they can offer.

I know, it is not that simple, but this is totally out of hand and only us, the customers are getting hurt. Both entities need to realize this and step up. They NEED to work this out.

It also depends on how you look at the NFL network, which has only been in existence about two years or so. It doesn't have nearly the numbers that a lot of the established cable networks have, so on one hand you can honestly say that it isn't worth it to the cable companies. On the other hand, the ascension of the NFL network has been meteoric in its short existence, especially considering the miniscule number of homes it originally reached. As well as getting one of the most sought after contracts in all of television: Live exclusive prime time NFL games. So you could honestly say that anyone claiming it's not getting viewers of other stations is quite disingenuous.