Lenny P

Rico

Tip Sheet

Arguably the worst-kept secret in the league is that third-year veteran J.P. Losman, a first-round pick in 2004, has won the Buffalo Bills' starting quarterback job. In fact, those who have watched the alleged competition between Losman and journeyman Kelly Holcomb up-close insist that it wasn't even close. A somewhat controversial pick in 2004, Losman has demonstrated more maturity, and might yet vindicate the decision of deposed general manager Tom Donahoe to choose him with the 22nd overall selection in '04.

It will be interesting to see how the Bills handle Holcomb's situation. There are several teams still hoping to shore up their backup situation before the season starts, who view Holcomb as a good fit, and who likely would part with a low-round draft choice to acquire him. The Indianapolis Colts snooped around Holcomb earlier in the spring and, if the shoulder problems that plagued No. 2 quarterback Jim Sorgi throughout the offseason linger a while longer, might take another look at him. Dealing the much-traveled 10th-year veteran, however, would leave the Bills perilously shy of talent, with Craig Nall and Kliff Kingsbury the likely backups to Losman. New (but very old) general manager Marv Levy probably isn't inclined to trade Holcomb, but he might have more than a few suitors for him in the next week or so.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip Sheet

Arguably the worst-kept secret in the league is that third-year veteran J.P. Losman, a first-round pick in 2004, has won the Buffalo Bills' starting quarterback job. In fact, those who have watched the alleged competition between Losman and journeyman Kelly Holcomb up-close insist that it wasn't even close. A somewhat controversial pick in 2004, Losman has demonstrated more maturity, and might yet vindicate the decision of deposed general manager Tom Donahoe to choose him with the 22nd overall selection in '04.

It will be interesting to see how the Bills handle Holcomb's situation. There are several teams still hoping to shore up their backup situation before the season starts, who view Holcomb as a good fit, and who likely would part with a low-round draft choice to acquire him. The Indianapolis Colts snooped around Holcomb earlier in the spring and, if the shoulder problems that plagued No. 2 quarterback Jim Sorgi throughout the offseason linger a while longer, might take another look at him. Dealing the much-traveled 10th-year veteran, however, would leave the Bills perilously shy of talent, with Craig Nall and Kliff Kingsbury the likely backups to Losman. New (but very old) general manager Marv Levy probably isn't inclined to trade Holcomb, but he might have more than a few suitors for him in the next week or so.

751718[/snapback]

He just had to throw in (but very old) didn't he?

Tip Sheet

A somewhat controversial pick in 2004, Losman has demonstrated more maturity, and might yet vindicate the decision of deposed general manager Tom Donahoe to choose him with the 22nd overall selection in '04.

New (but very old) general manager Marv Levy probably isn't inclined to trade Holcomb, but he might have more than a few suitors for him in the next week or so.

751718[/snapback]

Amazing he can write this with his head so far up TD's butt.......I like Tom Donahoe, I really do and believe he did some great things while he was President of the BIlls..but having his buddies at ESPN constantly pimp him is tiresome. The corollary to this is that it would be justifiable to saying that TD put a coaching staff in place that significantly retarded JP's development all for a 5-11 result.....not very !@#$ing smart...

Amazing he can write this with his head so far up TD's butt.......I like Tom Donahoe, I really do and believe he did some great things while he was President of the BIlls..but having his buddies at ESPN constantly pimp him is tiresome.  The corollary to this is that it would be justifiable to saying that TD put a coaching staff in place that significantly retarded JP's development all for a 5-11 result.....not very !@#$ing smart...

751728[/snapback]

Regardless of the ball-washing, what he reported is true. Ryan Denney is starting to look like a decent pick. Crowell is looking like a good pick. Peters like an excellent signing. Willis may finally arrive. Evans was a great pick. Greer and King look like they can step into another good to great pick's shoes when he leaves. McGee is awesome. TD got a ton of crap for Lindell who is looking like one of the better kickers in the league. He signed the best punter in the league.

Things are not black and white. TD was not wholly stupid, bad or evil.

Then again, that's how they getcha! :P

Regardless of the ball-washing, what he reported is true. Ryan Denney is starting to look like a decent pick. Crowell is looking like a good pick. Peters like an excellent signing. Willis may finally arrive. Evans was a great pick. Greer and King look like they can step into another good to great pick's shoes when he leaves. McGee is awesome. TD got a ton of crap for Lindell who is looking like one of the better kickers in the league. He signed the best punter in the league.

Then again, that's how they getcha:P

751740[/snapback]

very Fair and Balanced......devils aside.

A KH trade would make sense -- I don't think the Bills could get a 5th for him though considering that's what they got for Moulds (a starter) where as Holcomb would be a backup.

If Nall plays well tomorrow night and proves he can hold down the number 2 job, I don't see why they wouldn't swing a deal. It's no secret that KH doesn't fit into the new system.

A KH trade would make sense -- I don't think the Bills could get a 5th for him though considering that's what they got for Moulds (a starter) where as Holcomb would be a backup.

If Nall plays well tomorrow night and proves he can hold down the number 2 job, I don't see why they wouldn't swing a deal. It's no secret that KH doesn't fit into the new system.

751748[/snapback]

I agree, if nall shows some sense of worth than I would trade Holcomb in a heartbeat. He does not posess the arm fro the offense we are running.

751740[/snapback]

i agree, but i also think that those players not being developed until after TD is gone says something as well...

751740[/snapback]

All you say is true or could become true....credit to TD.....But he messed up his drafting the OL or the DL....The war is won in the trenches.....The trenches make

avg. QBs look good....

I'd do it......that way if JP falters there is not even a hint of thinking we need to scrap the development for winning now by the players.  Get something for Holcomb if you can.

751734[/snapback]

Hey whats up with your avatar !!!

I like it but don't recall Lee Evans being available in Tecmo Bowl !

Marc in Montréal

:P

Donahoe did some good things here. It just that he wanted to play the role of the wild gunslinger too often.

With that being said, if someone offered a 5th round pick for Holcolmb I would be all over that like flies on sh--.

That fat sob just lost what little respect I had for him with that old comment. No need for it.

751748[/snapback]

Holcomb didn't fit the old system either.

It was designed to fit Bledsoe's and Losman's ability to throw downfield, which is why it was counter productive to bring in a backup with polar opposite skills.

751748[/snapback]

In the perverse world of NFL GM's, it'd be better if Nall doesn't light it up if they want to have any leverage in a KH deal. If Nall's the clear #2, then they won't get more than a 7th for Holcomb since there's a good chance he'd be waiver wire material.